The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Fastlane Idea - Feedback Please!

Idea threads

burningdesire

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 28, 2012
Hey everyone, I've been lurking around the forum for the past few weeks after reading MJ's book. Simply awesome read! Earlier today I was chatting with a friend and I think we stumbled onto an idea. Essentially, everyone has hobbies and interests their passionate about, valuable skills, etc. So we were thinking about a creating a website allowing people to create and organize classes based on their interests.

For example, my friend is really into health & fitness, and a lot of our friends ask him for advice and tips on eating right to lose weight, bulk up, etc. So he could create a class about proper nutrition for weight loss and sell "seats" in the class. The class would be held anywhere he chose (coffee shop, gym, library, etc). The site would basically act as a middleman to connect "students" and "teachers", and take a portion (10 to 15%) of the money generated from selling "seats" in the class. I'm thinking prices would probably need to be $20-$40 per seat or something small like that, but the person organizing the class could set it at whatever they want to based on their experience, reputation, etc.

Basically it would allow people to learn about things that interest them from people in their own city, and of course meet people with similar interests and goals. It would also allow people to make a little extra money. Plus those who want to start consulting or blogging could use it as a platform to build their credibility.

We did a little searching around on the internet and found one website doing pretty much the exact same thing (skillshare), but they seem to be based out of NY and haven't really expanded much into my area. I don't know if that's because there is no demand for something like this here, but I'll be testing that theory over the next two weeks to see if there is sufficient interest to warrant proceeding with this idea. One of the downsides I see though is that the profit margin may be limited.

Any feedback you guys have is welcome!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Thagomizer

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 26, 2012
Absolutely love the idea. I had thought of something similar to this awhile back!

BrucetonGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Sep 28, 2011
I think it is a great idea and has a lot of potential! Best of luck!

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
So I checked out Skillshare. It looks really cool and it's got a pretty strong following (some 39k Facebook likes and 21k Twitter followers). It's backed by General Electric and Forbes Magazine (whoa!)

If you want to compete with them, find out what they are doing wrong or NOT doing and beat them in that way. But it's going to be tough.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.