The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Experience Eating Keto/Carnivore

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
What's up everyone! I haven't posted here in a while but thought I'd give you guys some insight on my experience doing lazy keto (8 months so far) and the Carnivore (~2 months) WOE (way of eating). I'm not a doctor, this post isn't medical advice, and I'm not telling you to do Keto or Carnivore. Do what you want. This post will simply show you my experience and what I think I've learned from my research.

What is Lazy Keto?:
Lazy Keto is basically when you eat less than 20g of carbs per day, but you don't track it. You don't try to hit 'strict' macros, restrict calories, or measure blood ketones. Just stay under that carb amount and you’ll enter a metabolic state called ‘ketosis’ (basically when your body starts to utilize stored body fat and convert it into an energy source called ketones)

What is Carnivore?:
Carnivore is when you only eat animal products. This excludes all plants. Some people still use plant seasonings and drink coffee/tea, but that’s technically not carnivore. You can incorporate more carbs from animal sources to see how they affect you (think raw honey and milk).

Why I started eating Keto and Carnivore:
I’m always trying to be healthier. I heard good things about Keto via Reddit and thought why not. Once I did some research and figured Keto probably wouldn’t kill me to try for a couple months, I went straight to Keto. Carnivore just became a gradual transition that my body steered me towards. I had no diagnosed medical problems and was not overweight (my body fat percentage was probably between 20-23% depending at the time of starting - now around 15%). I definitely had fat to lose.

Issues I had before Keto/Carnivore:
  • I was always slightly tired regardless of how much sleep I got. Some days better than others, but more tired than not. I now believe this was a sign of insulin resistance. However, all of my blood work was normal. I figured this was just the way it was supposed to be.

• I would get tired after a carb-heavy meal, think pancakes with syrup. Another sign of insulin resistance. I also figured this was normal for my body, due to it happening when eating a 'healthy' meal of steel-cut oatmeal, egg whites, and 2% milk.

• CICO (Calories-in-Calories-out) no longer worked for me and despite weight lifting ~6 days per week, I couldn’t lose much stomach fat. I now believe this was an early sign of metabolic syndrome. At the time, I figured I just needed to drop my calories even more (my lowest was 800 per day in order to lose .4-.8 lbs per week at ~152lbs).

• I could barely breathe out my nose. They said I needed surgery in order to fix it but it shouldn’t cause any major problems to just leave it - that was 5-6 years ago.

• Eczema & seborrheic dermatitis (I had asthma as a child and dermatologist said they’re related). She gave me steroids that I refuse to take.

• Acne (figured it was normal)

• Eyes sensitive to bright lights (had no idea why)

My Experience (short version):
  • Went from eating 800-1200 calories to 2800-3500 calories per day. (keto + carnivore)

• Went from 155 lbs to 135 lbs - lost primarily water and fat, strength and muscle mass has increased. (keto & carnivore)

• 5-year fatigue issues resolved (keto & carnivore)
  • One of my nostrils would always be closed and the other nostril would only be ~50% open. This is no longer a problem. Both nostrils fully open now and no longer a mouth breather (keto & carnivore)

• Never ‘hangry’ (keto + carnivore)

• More focus and energy when I don’t eat. (keto & carnivore)

• Hair grows faster (carnivore)

• Acne is mainly cleared (keto)

• Eczema and Seb derm did not clear up from diet. However, it does clear up on days I get a lot of sun.

• I’m not sure if the eye sensitivity was fixed from diet or since I stopped wearing sunglasses often.

Typical Things I Eat:
  • 2-4 oz liver with eggs/butter/cheese

• 0.8-1 lb ribeye with butter

• 5-8 oz burger patty with cheese and butter (depending on how lean the meat is)

• Liver, kidney, heart, spleen, and chuck ground mixture for burgers or taco meat

• Smoked sockeye salmon with eggs/butter/cheese

• Occasional chicken wings

• Slow-cooked brisket with cheese

• Broccoli & green beans (during keto)

How Often I Eat:
I started eating 3 meals per day. Now I typically eat 1 or 2 meals per day. I usually eat 2 meals on days where I feel sore from working out or if I'm eating out with friends unexpectedly.

Month #1 - Keto:
It was fairly easy for me to keep carbs under 20g just by eating meat, veggies, and cheese. Not the ideal way to keto in my opinion (organs should be included for vitamins), but I ate what I had available. On my 5th day, I got lightheaded for about 1 hour. After a few Google Searches, I learned that electrolyte imbalances are common in the early stages of keto. These imbalances can cause symptoms that people call ‘keto flu’. I kept swallowing a pinch of salt until it tasted too salty. This got rid of the symptoms within 30 mins and I didn't’ have any other keto flu symptoms afterward. I also lost 8 pounds.

Month #2-#6 - Keto:
After the first month, body fat kept dropping even though I started eating more calories. I started adding more fat to my diet, specifically butter and avocados - which made my consumed calories rise to around 2300-2500 calories. I was nervous at first due to previously being able to gain fat at anything over 1200 calories. That didn’t happen, so I kept slowly increasing the amount of food I ate until I was full. I did notice some days I’d have digestion issues after eating too much roasted broccoli.

Month #7 - Keto + Carnivore:
The first-day doing carnivore felt wrong mentally. Who in their right mind thinks not eating vegetables is a good thing? Regardless, I pushed through the mental thoughts. After the first week, those thoughts went away and I started to feel even better than I did on Keto. All through my time doing Keto I was learning about nutrition trying to put the pieces together as to how it’s causing me to lose fat while eating more and helping the issues that I thought were normal. But, when carnivore started making me feel even better, I really got focused on learning because I didn’t understand how this was even possible.

I learned a ton about vitamins (both plant & animal versions) and the foods that contain them, plant defense mechanisms, plant diversity, gut microbiota, the quality differences between meat, and a ton more. I probably spent 2-3 hours daily learning/trying to break down different studies and their methods due to it being so interesting.

This is the month I started to limit my animal consumption to beef, dairy, eggs, and the occasional salmon. I started purchasing grass-fed pasture-raised beef and pasture-raised chicken eggs. I was already purchasing ‘wild caught’ salmon.

I also began incorporating offal into my diet at this point after researching how nutrient dense they are (and bio-available) from a grass-fed pasture-raised cow. I purchased liver, kidney, spleen, and heart.

Month #8 - Keto + Carnivore:
In month #8, I started purchasing a good amount of my beef & chicken from a local farm. I’m actually surprised at the differences in quality. The muscle meat has no marbling and taste beefier (I’m still getting used to it), the beef fat is extremely soft, melts, and taste really good, the beef organs taste normal but I’ve been buying high-quality offal since my first time trying them so I don’t know what others taste like.

I try to have at least 2 servings of offal (preferably liver) per week as a ‘multivitamin’ due to its vitamin profile (it has every fat-soluble vitamin and water-soluble vitamins depending on how you cook it. Some is lost when cooking). I tried eating liver raw and it’s ok. It’s chewy and can be ‘minerally’ tasting at times, but it’s fine. I prefer pan seared.

I’m still losing body fat and can now fast for multiple days at a time on accident due to being busy. I rarely get hungry unless I fast for 1-3 days.

Towards the end of month #8, I started incorporating a couple ‘cheat’ meals during a house move - which are basically keto friendly foods that are more processed - such as a quest pizza. I noticed some bloating from the fiber but other than that there was no immediate weight gain or issues.

Overall
It's been a cool experience and this WOE has been fixing some issues that I didn't know could be fixed from diet. I'm slowly learning a lot about nutrition and realizing how much humans don't know about nutrition. Most studies are biased for whoever funds it, even if detrimental to our overall health.

But, I don't really miss any carbs except for Sweet Potato Pie. I'm planning on eating some in November but going right back to carnivore after.

Questions:

How did you use the bathroom without fiber during carnivore?
On carnivore, I go to the bathroom a lot less (every 3-4 days) but never felt constipated or bloated. If anything, it's easy and quick to use the bathroom when I need to.

Don’t you feel bad eating animals that have to be killed?
I know a good amount of forum members are vegans so I figured this question might be asked. Of course. But I also feel bad when a lion hunts and kills an animal for his family. Death, in general, makes me feel bad. I try to limit the number of animals that have to be killed by mainly focusing on beef for organ & meat consumption. One cow can feed 1 person for 12+ months just off of meat and fat. Most people don’t eat organs so I pick those up for cheap so it doesn’t go to waste.

How is your blood work?
I haven’t had it done yet since starting keto (I had it done right before). I’ve been waiting until the 1-year mark but might get it done in January. So, it’s possible my blood work could be on the brink of heart disease and diabetes.

How did you give up carbs/sugar?
Honestly, I just stopped eating them. The day before starting keto I had over 250g of carbs. I didn’t think about it.

What about vitamin deficiencies since you stopped eating vegetables?
The vitamins in vegetables are controversial at the moment. They’re not bio-available (meaning we don’t absorb them well). The rate at which someone can absorb them is on a person by person basis. Some people can get enough from plants and others can't. High-quality liver has most of the vitamins needed to survive (in a bio-available form). I say most due to vitamin loss based on cooking methods, vitamin d (In my opinion, this should come from the sun), and possibly vitamin K2 (which comes from fermented foods like cheese or ‘spoiled’ food - they call this ‘high meat’ I think). I believe the same mechanism that allows our body to make vitamin d from the sun also triggers other mechanisms to run - I read about some of the believed mechanisms but haven’t read any studies on it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I know a good amount of forum members are vegans so I figured this question might be asked. Of course. But I also feel bad when a lion hunts and kills an animal for his family. Death, in general, makes me feel bad. I try to limit the number of animals that have to be killed by mainly focusing on beef for organ & meat consumption. One cow can feed 1 person for 12+ months just off of meat and fat. Most people don’t eat organs so I pick those up for cheap so it doesn’t go to waste.

Some perspective: Vegans don't find issue with the circle of life (as it pertains to lions/zebras or environmental/circumstantial killing for survival, say the Alaskan bush) but with normalization of meat as a primary dietary ration, a centerpiece in the first-world palette, despite macroeconomics, environmental, and/or health effects. In other words, meat for pleasure, not survival. Industrialized meat production (Big-Ag factory farming) is the most disgusting and traumatic thing I ever witnessed in my life. And I refuse to bankroll its inhumanity by burying my head in the sand, all in the name of "it tastes good" or "well, that's the way it's always been done." Most Vegans are from this dualistic perspective, a smaller minority for the health reasons.

Honestly, I just stopped eating them. The day before starting keto I had over 250g of carbs. I didn’t think about it.

Strong work!

IMO most dietary changes that yield positive results, whether it be veganism, vegetarianism, Paleo, IM, etc are simply the results of eating less processed garbage like empty carbs and sugar. The closer you get to nature with the least amount of processing, the better results will be. I feel its more about what is now MISSING over what is added.

Thanks for sharing your experience my friend, appreciate it!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
What's up everyone! I haven't posted here in a while but thought I'd give you guys some insight on my experience doing lazy keto (8 months so far) and the Carnivore (~2 months) WOE (way of eating). I'm not a doctor, this post isn't medical advice, and I'm not telling you to do Keto or Carnivore. Do what you want. This post will simply show you my experience and what I think I've learned from my research.

What is Lazy Keto?:
Lazy Keto is basically when you eat less than 20g of carbs per day, but you don't track it. You don't try to hit 'strict' macros, restrict calories, or measure blood ketones. Just stay under that carb amount and you’ll enter a metabolic state called ‘ketosis’ (basically when your body starts to utilize stored body fat and convert it into an energy source called ketones)

What is Carnivore?:
Carnivore is when you only eat animal products. This excludes all plants. Some people still use plant seasonings and drink coffee/tea, but that’s technically not carnivore. You can incorporate more carbs from animal sources to see how they affect you (think raw honey and milk).

Why I started eating Keto and Carnivore:
I’m always trying to be healthier. I heard good things about Keto via Reddit and thought why not. Once I did some research and figured Keto probably wouldn’t kill me to try for a couple months, I went straight to Keto. Carnivore just became a gradual transition that my body steered me towards. I had no diagnosed medical problems and was not overweight (my body fat percentage was probably between 20-23% depending at the time of starting - now around 15%). I definitely had fat to lose.

Issues I had before Keto/Carnivore:
  • I was always slightly tired regardless of how much sleep I got. Some days better than others, but more tired than not. I now believe this was a sign of insulin resistance. However, all of my blood work was normal. I figured this was just the way it was supposed to be.

• I would get tired after a carb-heavy meal, think pancakes with syrup. Another sign of insulin resistance. I also figured this was normal for my body, due to it happening when eating a 'healthy' meal of steel-cut oatmeal, egg whites, and 2% milk.

• CICO (Calories-in-Calories-out) no longer worked for me and despite weight lifting ~6 days per week, I couldn’t lose much stomach fat. I now believe this was an early sign of metabolic syndrome. At the time, I figured I just needed to drop my calories even more (my lowest was 800 per day in order to lose .4-.8 lbs per week at ~152lbs).

• I could barely breathe out my nose. They said I needed surgery in order to fix it but it shouldn’t cause any major problems to just leave it - that was 5-6 years ago.

• Eczema & seborrheic dermatitis (I had asthma as a child and dermatologist said they’re related). She gave me steroids that I refuse to take.

• Acne (figured it was normal)

• Eyes sensitive to bright lights (had no idea why)

My Experience (short version):
  • Went from eating 800-1200 calories to 2800-3500 calories per day. (keto + carnivore)

• Went from 155 lbs to 135 lbs - lost primarily water and fat, strength and muscle mass has increased. (keto & carnivore)

• 5-year fatigue issues resolved (keto & carnivore)
  • One of my nostrils would always be closed and the other nostril would only be ~50% open. This is no longer a problem. Both nostrils fully open now and no longer a mouth breather (keto & carnivore)

• Never ‘hangry’ (keto + carnivore)

• More focus and energy when I don’t eat. (keto & carnivore)

• Hair grows faster (carnivore)

• Acne is mainly cleared (keto)

• Eczema and Seb derm did not clear up from diet. However, it does clear up on days I get a lot of sun.

• I’m not sure if the eye sensitivity was fixed from diet or since I stopped wearing sunglasses often.
Typical Things I Eat:
  • 2-4 oz liver with eggs/butter/cheese

• 0.8-1 lb ribeye with butter

• 5-8 oz burger patty with cheese and butter (depending on how lean the meat is)

• Liver, kidney, heart, spleen, and chuck ground mixture for burgers or taco meat

• Smoked sockeye salmon with eggs/butter/cheese

• Occasional chicken wings

• Slow-cooked brisket with cheese

• Broccoli & green beans (during keto)

How Often I Eat:
I started eating 3 meals per day. Now I typically eat 1 or 2 meals per day. I usually eat 2 meals on days where I feel sore from working out or if I'm eating out with friends unexpectedly.

Month #1 - Keto:
It was fairly easy for me to keep carbs under 20g just by eating meat, veggies, and cheese. Not the ideal way to keto in my opinion (organs should be included for vitamins), but I ate what I had available. On my 5th day, I got lightheaded for about 1 hour. After a few Google Searches, I learned that electrolyte imbalances are common in the early stages of keto. These imbalances can cause symptoms that people call ‘keto flu’. I kept swallowing a pinch of salt until it tasted too salty. This got rid of the symptoms within 30 mins and I didn't’ have any other keto flu symptoms afterward. I also lost 8 pounds.

Month #2-#6 - Keto:
After the first month, body fat kept dropping even though I started eating more calories. I started adding more fat to my diet, specifically butter and avocados - which made my consumed calories rise to around 2300-2500 calories. I was nervous at first due to previously being able to gain fat at anything over 1200 calories. That didn’t happen, so I kept slowly increasing the amount of food I ate until I was full. I did notice some days I’d have digestion issues after eating too much roasted broccoli.

Month #7 - Keto + Carnivore:
The first-day doing carnivore felt wrong mentally. Who in their right mind thinks not eating vegetables is a good thing? Regardless, I pushed through the mental thoughts. After the first week, those thoughts went away and I started to feel even better than I did on Keto. All through my time doing Keto I was learning about nutrition trying to put the pieces together as to how it’s causing me to lose fat while eating more and helping the issues that I thought were normal. But, when carnivore started making me feel even better, I really got focused on learning because I didn’t understand how this was even possible.

I learned a ton about vitamins (both plant & animal versions) and the foods that contain them, plant defense mechanisms, plant diversity, gut microbiota, the quality differences between meat, and a ton more. I probably spent 2-3 hours daily learning/trying to break down different studies and their methods due to it being so interesting.

This is the month I started to limit my animal consumption to beef, dairy, eggs, and the occasional salmon. I started purchasing grass-fed pasture-raised beef and pasture-raised chicken eggs. I was already purchasing ‘wild caught’ salmon.

I also began incorporating offal into my diet at this point after researching how nutrient dense they are (and bio-available) from a grass-fed pasture-raised cow. I purchased liver, kidney, spleen, and heart.

Month #8 - Keto + Carnivore:
In month #8, I started purchasing a good amount of my beef & chicken from a local farm. I’m actually surprised at the differences in quality. The muscle meat has no marbling and taste beefier (I’m still getting used to it), the beef fat is extremely soft, melts, and taste really good, the beef organs taste normal but I’ve been buying high-quality offal since my first time trying them so I don’t know what others taste like.

I try to have at least 2 servings of offal (preferably liver) per week as a ‘multivitamin’ due to its vitamin profile (it has every fat-soluble vitamin and water-soluble vitamins depending on how you cook it. Some is lost when cooking). I tried eating liver raw and it’s ok. It’s chewy and can be ‘minerally’ tasting at times, but it’s fine. I prefer pan seared.

I’m still losing body fat and can now fast for multiple days at a time on accident due to being busy. I rarely get hungry unless I fast for 1-3 days.

Towards the end of month #8, I started incorporating a couple ‘cheat’ meals during a house move - which are basically keto friendly foods that are more processed - such as a quest pizza. I noticed some bloating from the fiber but other than that there was no immediate weight gain or issues.

Overall
It's been a cool experience and this WOE has been fixing some issues that I didn't know could be fixed from diet. I'm slowly learning a lot about nutrition and realizing how much humans don't know about nutrition. Most studies are biased for whoever funds it, even if detrimental to our overall health.

But, I don't really miss any carbs except for Sweet Potato Pie. I'm planning on eating some in November but going right back to carnivore after.

Questions:

How did you use the bathroom without fiber during carnivore?
On carnivore, I go to the bathroom a lot less (every 3-4 days) but never felt constipated or bloated. If anything, it's easy and quick to use the bathroom when I need to.

Don’t you feel bad eating animals that have to be killed?

How is your blood work?
I haven’t had it done yet since starting keto (I had it done right before). I’ve been waiting until the 1-year mark but might get it done in January. So, it’s possible my blood work could be on the brink of heart disease and diabetes.

What about vitamin deficiencies since you stopped eating vegetables?
The vitamins in vegetables are controversial at the moment. They’re not bio-available (meaning we don’t absorb them well). The rate at which someone can absorb them is on a person by person basis. Some people can get enough from plants and others can't. High-quality liver has most of the vitamins needed to survive (in a bio-available form). I say most due to vitamin loss based on cooking methods, vitamin d (In my opinion, this should come from the sun), and possibly vitamin K2 (which comes from fermented foods like cheese or ‘spoiled’ food - they call this ‘high meat’ I think). I believe the same mechanism that allows our body to make vitamin d from the sun also triggers other mechanisms to run - I read about some of the believed mechanisms but haven’t read any studies on it.

Great post. Very well done.

I too have felt some significant benefits from Ketosis. Among other things I have come down from 230 pounds to right at about 205. I burned out on the diet, felt like crap when I ate junk, so I started back up about a week ago. I've been in ketosis for about 4 days... Even through Halloween. Aiming at 185-190.

I have more energy and mental clarity. My skin is clearer and my hair grows faster and looks thicker and healthier.

I have gone from my worst at 46r jacket to a 42r or 43 slim. 38 jeans to 34 believe it or not. 36 for most of everything else.

It has literally been the only diet that shows measurable results steadily enough to keep me this well motivated.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
Keto for the last 2+years. Went from 225lbs to (165-168Lbs range) Consume 2500 cals a day or so. Not type two diabetic anymore. Best shape of my life and I am NEVER going back to the Standard American Diet (S.A.D .how appropriate) That was going to eventually KILL me. Testosterone levels are higher as well. Workouts are great too. Mental clarity 100%.
I love it when people tell me they can't diet. LOL. We are all on a diet, the question being is, how's that working for you? The gym is where you build muscle and get into shape. The kitchen is where you lose or gain weight and where you make or break your health. All the best.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
I guess the body's switch of fuels works to go from Carbs to Fat/Ketones. It's interesting to me since carbohydrates are the body's primary source of fuel. I wonder what happens metabolically when the switch happens.

Ketones should be named the body's primary source of fuel.

Carbohydrates/glucose have a very small amount of storage space in the body (liver and muscle) - any excess and it must be stored/converted to fat in order to bring blood glucose down (insulin and, to a smaller degree, de novo lipogenesis does this for you). This results in constant highs (when you eat them) and lows (after).

My belief is that the body utilizes carbohydrates first due to the energy being easily accessible AND the potential for problems if it stays in your blood for too long.

I think indigenous cultures would have access to some carbs (whatever animals didn't get to first) during the grow season (much less carby than what's available in U.S supermarkets) but majority of their calories would come from fat (where the vitamins are) and protein (hunting/scavenging both fresh and rotten animals). Freshly killed animals (and organ meats) will contain a decent amount of carbs (muscle and liver glycogen), but the glycogen would decrease significantly the longer the animal was dead.

Our bodies can store months worth of calories in the form of fat (longest fast I've read about was close to a year). But, in order to access the fat, you must be in some state of ketosis.

Regarding what happens metabolically, it's believed that almost all cells in our body can utilize ketones for energy. Any cell that cannot function 100% on ketones (like the brain) will signal the liver to create glucose via a process called gluconeogenesis (basically converting lactic acid / amino acids / glycerol (fat breakdown) / and some other stuff I can't think of at the moment). Allowing your body to demand what it needs - nothing more, nothing less. Your body 'learns' how to do this more efficiently the longer you're in ketosis.

Some cells (like most cancer cells) cannot utilize ketones well enough to survive. A lot of information on the internet say they can't utilize it at all - but I find that hard to believe. It's almost never that simple.

I'm no scientist so don't take my word as gospel. I've read a lot of papers, watched interviews, and read a few books (like The Fat of the Land) - so it's a lot to condense and absorb. I cold also be using some wrong terminology, but that was my take away.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
@Darius How do you cook the liver? I want to try it.

Also, Does anyone use MCT oil? Thoughts?

So, I've tried liver raw, pan seared (like a medium-rare steak) in butter, sauted in butter (fully cooked), and roasted.

The best tasting to me was when I cut the liver up into bite sized pieces and then sauted it in butter. I've got braces and chewing gets annoying so the smaller the pieces, the more enjoyable the meal. Separate the the liver into small batches and cook it different ways if the sauted method doesn't sit well with you.

If you do try liver, make sure it's from a pasture raised animal that's fed its natural diet (grass for beef / bugs, grains, meat for chickens / etc.). The taste is completely different when compared to your typical factory farmed animal and a pasture-raised animal fed its natural diet is more likely to be a healthier animal (meaning better vitamin content, more omega 3s, less chance of toxins).

You can usually buy it locally for cheap (since most people don't buy it) - but if you can't find it or don't want to go through the hassle just to try it, you can get it shipped from this place (or any farm that'll ship, this is the only one I've tried before buying locally): White Oak Pastures Since 1866, Grassfed Beef and Pastured Poultry

It's not cheap, but you can figure out a cheaper alternative if you like it.

As far as MCT oil, I don't use it. I've seen anecdotal evidence that may deem it useful as a pre-workout or for a burst of energy.

I get fairly cautious when humans start isolating compounds due to its perceived benefit. I haven't researched MCT oil or the methods/chemicals used to extract it, but problems tend to arise when humans start thinking they've identified this 'amazing' compound and begin to isolate it.

A lot of people praise MCT oil because it raises ketone levels, gives a boost of energy, and they believe more ketones must be a good thing. I have no reason to believe more ketones is good. If anything, I'm inclined to believe the opposite. If more were good, our bodies would just make more. There's probably a reason why our ketone levels decrease with time or why breastfed babies are typically in a mild state of ketosis.

I wouldn't be surprised if too many ketones in the body for too long have bad side effects - especially if your body isn't the one regulating it.

That's just my thoughts. Until we have long-term, unbiased studies (if that even exist) regarding ketone levels and optimal health - i'm just speculating.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
It's been over a year since starting Keto. Here's a quick summary of 1 yr changes off the top of my head:
  • I can eat as much as I want.
  • My weight has stabilized at about 20lbs less than where I started.
  • I'm not losing weight but still losing fat. I'm getting noticeably leaner by the week
  • Bowel movements every 3-7 days. No stomach bloat or issues when it's time, so I'm not worried right now.
  • Hair grows faster
  • Sinus issues I've had all my life are fixed.
  • I drink a lot less water when I don't salt my food.
  • I find myself eating the same foods out of preference.
  • I may have eaten enough liver for my body. When I eat it now, I don't really want it. I eat it every so often to see if my body decides it wants.
  • Pretty sure I discovered I had insulin-resistance
  • Think I fixed a zinc deficiency. My blood tests were normal but the symptoms were there (white spots on fingernails and skin issues like eczema). I feel like I've had those symptoms all my life and figured they were normal for me. The eczema is still here but the white spots are gone. I did more than just diet to fix this.
  • Cholesterol is high (the more I study cholesterol the more I believe this is a good thing)
  • Acne is gone
  • Eye sensitivity to light has dropped drastically.
  • I don't think about food unless I'm hungry.
  • Strength has increased
  • Sleep is better
  • And probably some other things I forgot.

If you've been on the fence about trying keto or carnivore, try it for 30 days with no cheats.

I can't say this is the best diet. I don't think any of us really know. But, I'd definitely recommend trying it out

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
Keto & I are in a really complicated relationship now. Surprising how easy it was actually for me to get into her. 3 days in and I measured +2.1 on the Keto blood meter. Full swing Ketosis with no Keto flu. Nice. I started because of weight loss but I didnt even notice the other benefits.

-my hand tremors disappeared (huge for surgery)
-longer focus, better concentration
-no hunger
-no craving
-no bloating
-mental health improvement
-weight loss (and it was pain free weight loss!)

Bad stuff:
-bowel movements only every 3-4 days?!
-High intensity exercise nearly impossible.

But I was in love. My gf started to cook only in Keto too. It was amazing. I sometimes had less than 15g in carbs a day. Maxed on 4.5+ on the Ketone blood meter before experiencing side effects.

Then we had pizza and ice cream once. First time it tasted better than ever before. I think I got a bit manic? The effect didn't last for the second cheat day. Gf left for a few weeks so I'm eating normal foods again. Feeling sick eating bread and carbs every day. Stomach has problems digesting bread and bloats like never before. Its 4 weeks in and it doesn't seem to get better. Maybe this is how I felt before.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Wow im not the only one, what you mentioned about breathing through one nose has been me for the past 6 years it came out of nowhere and stayed, I also have daily morning sinus problems. If what you did helped you with the breathing I need to get started asap. Im very active due to my business and I love my meat. What are your suggestions for getting started.

If I could go back in time and give myself suggestions, it would be:

1. Avoid any keto 'products'. I didn't use any but this would just be a reminder.
  2. Try to eat as much high-quality meat/eggs as you can afford (animal raised on pasture and fed its natural diet). Animals raised like this help regenerate the soil and is said to have a positive effect on carbon emissions (I haven't read studies verifying this).
  3. Don't over-indulge on vegetables. I was eating 1 lb of roasted broccoli in 1 sitting because it tasted good. Bloat quickly followed
  4. Salt your food more
  5. Get rid of supplements and add in organ meats such as liver once or twice per week.
  6. Use more fat in meals.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Very true. It's all variable based on the person.

How long did you try Keto for?

I've tried it many many times over the past 8 years because I really wanted it to work for me. I was always big into lifting (bulking and cutting) so I'd try it when cutting. Usually 5-14 days and then I just can't handle the issues it gives me anymore.

The diet that makes me feel best is one that's low in fermentable carbs (high water content fruits, non-starchy vegetables, organic soups). I eat a tiny bit of meat.. I have a can of mackerel/sardines every day.

If I start eating potatoes, rice, bread and cruciferous veggies like broccoli... I'm in a depressive coma in about 3-5 days.

Last edited:

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Great post. Very well done.

I too have felt some significant benefits from Ketosis. Among other things I have come down from 230 pounds to right at about 205. I burned out on the diet, felt like crap when I ate junk, so I started back up about a week ago. I've been in ketosis for about 4 days... Even through Halloween. Aiming at 185-190.

I have more energy and mental clarity. My skin is clearer and my hair grows faster and looks thicker and healthier.

I have gone from my worst at 46r jacket to a 42r or 43 slim. 38 jeans to 34 believe it or not. 36 for most of everything else.

It has literally been the only diet that shows measurable results steadily enough to keep me this well motivated.

That's awesome!

You should have no problem hitting 185-190 long term on keto.

Have you dabbled in fasting? The mental clarity I've had from a 2+ day fast is unbelievable.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
Great stuff, I've also had excellent results with Keto/Paleo. It's crazy how well you're able to lose weight with it, and it seems to be the easiest "diet" I've found.

Nelow

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Aug 23, 2018
Maryland, USA
thanks again for sharing your journey, I’m serious about fixing my nasal problem and took the first steps to this diet today, NO ACTION FAKING.
o6envc.jpg

HLdXqGX.jpg

Last edited:

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
Yeah, most of the effectiveness of popular diets (even ones that seem to completely contradict each other) boils down to 1) eat less crap and 2) eat more vegetables.

I used to do low carb paleo. I've recently upped my carbs by a lot and feel and perform better (fat loss, lifting numbers up, etc.). Don't know why that is. Maybe what works best for folks is a result of their individual biochemsistry.
My concern was my weight (225 Lbs), blood sugar (type 2 diabetes) metabolic damage (Insulin resistance). Keto was the solution to all for me. Like anything else, do your own research. I am not preaching, just testifying that it works very well for me. All the best.

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
It was the first Monday of February 2016. I was at work scanning through random videos when I came upon "Chris Jones and Goody Beats". Logan shared his experience with the Keto Diet and the sustainability of it. Peeked my interest so after work I shopped at Smart and Final for "KETO" foods. Coming from a culture that consumes rice 3-5x a day, surprisingly I was able to stop myself (Cold Turkey). For the next 6 months I dropped an average of 3lbs per week. I weighed myself every Sunday (naked and after using the bathroom). Everything went well, most effective life style I went through. Results: 270 - 239lbs best. Now I'm steady at 240. Keep in mind I was only exercising 2x sometimes 3x a week.

That same summer I went camping (Vegas didnt help either).....Drank 6 sodas in one day. Consumed all kind of junk. Surprisingly I only gained 6lbs when I returned from camp. But that wasn't the consequence. I started consuming carbs again. From there on I am back and forth with Keto till this day. The problem now is not junk food, soda, and sugary snacks but when I dine out I eat carbs liek a mofo. My fire or WHY has been lost. I feel like with all the compliments and praising I received during my weight loss journey, it made me think oh I am good now. People seen me lose weight and thats all that matters. I dont have to be strict and can eat what I want. Coincidentally, I am reading Unscripted atm and just passed where MJD talks about complimenting mediocre and how it impacts the future.

Future and Currently: I plan on sticking with the Keto lifestyle until I reach 190s. Then I will transition to including healthy carbs into by diet but keeping it at a certain level. Why? Seeing the foods I eat I dont think it will be healthy when Im older (Not a Doctor but thats just my opinion).

Side-Effects: I find it hard to wake up. Like VERY Fu***** Hard. I have 2 alarms and my phone starts at 5:00am. It wakes me up enough to turn everything off and fall back asleep. (will be including a controlled amount of carbs at dinner).
Another side-effect is eating out with loved ones. WOW just like MJ's example when you order a salad and everyone gets a beer, burgers and fries. You are the different one. I reject dinning out unless its a location where I can work with the menu. Ex) Korean BBQ, Mexican Restaurant, and Applebees etc...

WHY(s):
1. I want to be able to look great in clothing and have a easy time shopping for them. Specifically suits. being obese since childhood, I struggled with clothing and leads to insecurities and bullying.
2. Longevity. I dont want die due to obesity or cardiovascular disease. If its cause by things I cant control fine but I will do whats required on my end. If I hold my end, my body will hold the other (hopefully). Also seeing the elder community around me, everyone walks with their belly leading them. I do not want to be part of EVERYONE (and thats financially, physically, emotionally, you name it)!
3. Confidence and achieving goals. I view it this way. If I cant even stick to a diet and reach my goal, how will I ever succeed in the fast lane. Forgot if I read it in TMF or Unscripted or another book, but the link from keeping your promises to yourself and reaching your goals builds your spirit and self confidence. (Forgive me)

Thanks for reading!.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Today was one of my first interaction with a doctor where I got to test my nutritional knowledge. I'm not a doctor and understand that doctors should have a lot more overall knowledge than me.

However, their time is much more limited than mine when it involves researching newer studies/research - so I try to work with them, instead of against.

I thought I'd share my experience today.

My family has always eaten poorly and it reflects in our health (almost everyone is overweight & has type 2 diabetes).

My mother has had type 2 diabetes for the last 10 years (probably undiagnosed even longer). Her treatment has been a drug called metformin, insulin, and a 'balanced' diet.

I went with her to her appointment with the 'diabetes specialist' to see if she should keep or fire this specialist and find another one. I didn't plan on talking much, just listen and help explain the keto diet if necessary.

Keep in mind, my mother is poor and lives off government assistance (including health care). So, the doctors she can see are usually lower tier.

So, we go to the appointment, check-in, and eventually get seated in a room to wait for the specialist.

She comes in, is friendly, and asks my mom how things are going.

My mom talks about a new diet she's been doing for the past month (keto) & and the doctor says awesome. She tells my mom that her blood glucose readings look good and that she's doing a good job controlling her diabetes.

Red flag #1:
My mom's blood glucose readings have been higher than what that doctor has recommended numerous times & higher than traditional guidelines. Towards the end of the appointment, she actually looks at her numbers, retracts her statement about good blood glucose, and increases the dose of her medicine - for no reason other than to stay in a recommended range.

She increased her dosage of metformin and insulin.

I question her decision.

Metformin is fine. There have been studies showing increased lifespan (done on rats if I remember correctly - so not great) and it doesn't increase insulin. It does affect gluconeogenesis, a very core human process, which leads me to believe it will cause long-term issues. But, I won't argue. I'll focus on fixing one problem at a time and diabetes will likely kill my mom faster than this drug.

I will argue about insulin. Too much insulin (leading to more insulin resistance) is basically what type 2 diabetes is as a disease - why recommend more insulin?

She talks about how long-term type 2 diabetes can cause the pancreas to not produce insulin anymore (this is sometimes called type 1.5 diabetes). If this was the case, my mother's blood glucose should not drop into the 80/90s without extreme exercise or exogenous insulin (similarly to a type 1 - which isn't the case). Thankfully, I didn't have to argue that point because this doctor has already tested my mother's pancreas function earlier this year - and it functions.

She then argues that the blood glucose needs to be lower or it will continue causing damage. This is correct and I agree with the statement, but not the method used to bring the sugars down.

I argue that while the sugars need to come down, we're faced with choosing between the 'lesser evil'.

Hyperinsulinemia (too much insulin) will kill you and leads to a lot of other diseases. Hyperglycemia (too much blood sugar) will kill you and also leads to a lot of other diseases.

Now, while my mom's blood glucose is high enough (on average) to continuously cause slight damage - it's not high enough to cause major problems short-term and should continue to come down on keto. It's a symptom, not the problem.

Too much insulin (which is the core of type 2 diabetes) will likely kill her faster due to the increased risk of cancers (she's already shown signs of cancer development with no formal diagnosis), heart disease, and basically all-cause mortality.

There was a study done comparing diabetics with good blood glucose via exogenous insulin versus diabetics with higher blood glucose without insulin. The diabetics not using insulin lived longer despite higher blood glucose.

She agreed with me and recommend less insulin only when blood glucose is over 200 (which it never gets that high due to no carbs).

I'm fine with that since my mom should never need that, and although my mom will trust in my knowledge regardless (especially after the benefits she's gotten so far), this helps me build more credibility.

Red flag #2:

She recommends my mom to see a nutritionist in 3 months so she can transition off keto and onto a Mediterranean diet with carbs due to long-term studies showing it's better than keto.

1. If someone is a diabetic (insulin resistant + too much sugar in the body), why in the world would you recommend them to eat more carbs (which get converted into sugar and will make the problem worse). No common sense used here.

2. I asked her to reference the study because I've never read any long-term keto studies and the 'low-carb' studies I've read are usually 50-100g+ of carbs per day (definitely not keto). She got defensive and I left it alone. I'm not here to be 'right', only to help my mom's condition.

3. Why would you recommend a diet change before seeing blood work or anything that would lead you to believe the diet is not working towards the desired result? No common sense used here.

Red flag #3:

She recommended my mom do a pretty routine round of diabetic blood test. Lipids, metabolic panel, and c-peptide (basically measures pancreas function ).

1. She didn't recommend fasting insulin. Once again, type 2 diabetes is a disease of too much insulin. Less insulin should mean the disease is improving (as long as the pancreas is functioning correctly).

2. She didn't recommend a b12 test. Metformin (the same drug she increased the dosage on) can deplete vitamin b12. I asked her to add this test to her lab work, she didn't.

Red flag #4:

She was adamant on quickly getting a lipid blood test done to make sure there wasn't a big rise in 'bad cholesterol' ( I assume she's talking about LDL) in order to prevent heart disease. If cholesterol is higher, she mentioned switching to a low-fat diet.

1. There's no such thing as bad cholesterol. HDL & LDL both serve a purpose. Maybe she was trying to dumb things down for us, but saying things like 'bad cholesterol' is not a good look (to me).

2. My mom has lost over 14lbs since her last visit. She should know that her numbers will be skewed regardless, due to weight loss.

3. In order to do a low-fat diet, you have to replace fat with carbs (too much protein can be bad and it's not that great of an energy source). My mom is a diabetic, more carbs will not fix that. It looks like this specialist is trying to prevent all possible problems without treating the most pressing/current problem. Maybe lack of priorities, maybe lack of common sense.

Overall:

I don't claim to be smarter than any doctor. They should be smarter than me, this is their job. I don't know if the doctors my mom has access to ever brush up on their knowledge or only know what they were taught in school.

Regardless, there is a big lack of common sense in the medical field from my experience today.

Maybe it's because doctors get sued if they don't follow the book - honestly, I don't know.

But, If you have to go to the doctor for anything - try to question as much as you can. I don't expect the average person to know much about nutrition/diseases and I don't expect doctors to explain anything.

I'm leaning towards telling my mom she should switch specialist but I don't have a recommendation for her to switch to. So, for now - I think I'm going to tell her to keep the specialist until I can find a replacement that works with her insurance & looks promising.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I don't claim to be smarter than any doctor. They should be smarter than me, this is their job. I don't know if the doctors my mom has access to ever brush up on their knowledge or only know what they were taught in school.

Regardless, there is a big lack of common sense in the medical field from my experience today.

Maybe it's because doctors get sued if they don't follow the book - honestly, I don't know.

But, If you have to go to the doctor for anything - try to question as much as you can. I don't expect the average person to know much about nutrition/diseases and I don't expect doctors to explain anything.

I'm leaning towards telling my mom she should switch specialist but I don't have a recommendation for her to switch to. So, for now - I think I'm going to tell her to keep the specialist until I can find a replacement that works with her insurance & looks promising.

A few things about this. I've had the opportunity to get to know a lot of doctors personally, and chat with them socially. One recurring theme is that they "have to follow the book." This is frustating to the ones who no longer believe in "the book", but they do it anyway because their careers depend on it. They have to consider litigation, the possibility of being disciplined by medical boards, etc.

My conclusion from these talks is that after graduation from medical school, practicing medicine is as much a set of social rites as it is an intellectual discipline. By social rites I mean, boards of experts, rulers of the profession, authorities, etc., force them to observe certain patterns of behavior, even if their intellect and better judgement points them toward something else.

Of course, I may just have a knack for meeting frustrated doctors. I'm not trying to put them all in the same basket.

With diet, it's really amazing how persistent bad information is. There was never a valid study showing that eating saturated fat causes heart disease. In fact, it doesn't have much effect on fasting cholesterol levels. If you eat nothing but sugary snacks, you will metabolize those sugary snacks into cholesterol. If you consume cholesterol, your body will down-regulate any non-critical cholesterol production to compensate.

Worse, the idea that we need to "treat" people's cholesterol is asinine. Research shows that HIGHER blood cholesterol is associated with REDUCED all-cause mortality. So why do we want to lower cholesterol? To kill people faster? Or maybe it's because we're still using invalid, fraudulent research from decades ago, and now the pharmaceutical industry is too invested in the idea for us to quit it now.

My father had normal blood cholesterol. His doctor put him on statins "for good measure." He was hospitalized twice with liver problems, and both times, the problem persisted and did not resolve itself until he was taken off statins.

My rule with doctors and any other professionals is, nobody has your best interests in mind like you do. I hate to say it, but we all have to be our own doctors to a certain extent. IT doens't mean we should reject modern medicine - that would be stupid. But there is plenty of room for error in medicine, and we know ourselves better than a doctor knows us.

Here, just in case you think I sound too cautious, is the perspective from John's Hopkins: Johns Hopkins study suggests medical errors are third-leading cause of death in U.S.

Anecdotally I can add a few more bits of evidence for doing your own research, and knowing what's going on around you whenever medical treatment is involved.
  • When my wife was delivering our daughter, she had an epidural. A nurse-trainee came in and flipped the bed so that her head was below her feet. Wife immediately began blacking out, was barely able to whisper "I can't breathe," and I raised ungodly hell. If I hadn't been in the room, I wonder if I would have a wife or a child. For the uninitiated, epidural anesthesia is gravity-based. If you flip the patient, you turn off the heart, lungs, and brain instead of the pelvis.
  • Also my wife. She gets weekly allergy injections, and always insists on inspecting the injection before it is administered. She knows her patient number at the allergy clinic. And yes, a nurse tried to give her someone else's injection. I don't know what that would cause, but even in a best case scenario, I don't think I would want an injection meant for someone else. In a worst case scenario, like in an emergency room, it could be a fatality.
  • A friend of ours was Type 1 diabetic, or so we believed. She was diagnosed over 25 years ago, and the insulin has of course taken a toll over time. Well it turns out she was misdiagnosed. This came to light when she changed to a keto diet and started getting her blood tested independently to try to improve her health. "Oops, sorry we thought you were type 1." She's type 2.
I could probably list more, and then I could go into the insanity of medical malpractice claims, coming from the insurance industry. Don't take this the wrong way... doctors are good and necessary. However, you have to be your own doctor, and your own nutritionist, first. Well, that's my opinion anyway.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Related, sortof. I just can't leave this out.

I took my cats to a new veterinarian. She asked me what I feed the cats. "Raw meat, hearts, livers." I got the most horrified look... I refrained from mentioning I also consume raw meat, hearts, and livers. That seemed like too many revelations in one day considering the facial expression.

The vet went on to blast me about what an irresponsible pet owner I am. What made me think cats could eat raw meat? For heaven's sake! They eat cat food obviously. She told me they would die of heart disease, kidney failure, have a shortened lifespan, etc.

I gathered my cats to leave since I was obviously being ambushed by a nutrition nazi, but had to mention that these cats, a Persian and a Himalayan, were 18 years old and perfectly healthy and active.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
That's awesome!

You should have no problem hitting 185-190 long term on keto.

Have you dabbled in fasting? The mental clarity I've had from a 2+ day fast is unbelievable.

I have actually. It is way easier to do on Keto. If you eat a good fat heavy diet before you begin and are solidly in ketosis it goes pretty smoothly.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
thanks again for sharing your journey, I’m serious about fixing my nasal problem and took the first steps to this diet today, NO ACTION FAKING.
o6envc.jpg

HLdXqGX.jpg

Like Lionhearted said, fat is a key part of the diet. However, if extremely overweight, a person might not need to incorporate fat heavy meals immediately. Probably better to slowly introduce overtime to allow your liver to ramp up its bile production (needed to digest fats)

El Príncipe

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 1, 2018
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Very interesting thread.

Been carnivore for about three weeks now. Before that I was vegan for a bit over half a year. Towards the end of it my body started telling me I needed meat. Meat being grilled started smelling really, really good.

I switched over pretty drastically. Maybe a week and a half of keto in between.

Health is the primary reason for all of this. Got psoriasis 3 years ago. At the start of this year it became apparent it wouldn't just pass over, a pro-active approach was needed. Knew it had something to do with diet/nutrition. Noticed it cured almost entirely after a 5 day fast.

Then found Rob Stuart's YT channel. Got into vegan/plant based eating. It helped some. Especially early on I felt great. Got into juicing, raw vegan, water/dry fasting. All of it helped some. But after 2 months my skin just plateau'd, and everything else got slowly worse without me realizing.

I started staying in more, napping in the afternoon, being less interested in chicks. I attributed it all of it to "getting older and wiser", bad work/life balance, being away from family.

Then I started eating meat again and my energies have been through the roof. It's insane. I've had days where I felt high. I could just keep going and going. Super productive.

There have been some transition symptoms too though. And it seems like I've become even more sensitive to certain foods than before. Pretty drastic stuff affecting my energy and mood in major ways.

We attribute a lot to our personalities. We rationalize a lot. Also because we don't know how different it could really be if we'd change the right things.

Right now I'm cutting out dark chocolate (my cheat snack, hard to let go of lol) and going to a zero tolerance policy on "cheating", since I've noticed small quantities of grains and sugar can have huge effects. Been incorporating bone broth, liver and hearts from the start and looking to add in brain and fish roe (eggs). Other than that eating a wide variety of pork, beef, chicken, rabbit, duck, goose. Experimenting and learning a lot still.

I've had bad experiences with dairy, but I'm curious to see my reaction to raw milk and raw cheese, as there is a possibility that lactose intolerance might in fact just be an intolerance to the methods of processing like pasteurizing and the resulting manufactured products.

So yeah, interesting journey. Feeling a lot better. And looking it too, was starting to look emaciated, you know the typical, skinny vegan guy. Whereas I had always been into strength, masculinity, mma, sports, etc. Now I'm finally filling up again. Finally strength to work out again, recovery is super quick, injuries that were at a standstill are finally healing.

Just so many positive results. Psoriasis... Honestly, too early to tell, too many confounding factors (cheating a lot, and hard to tell the magnitude of effects), overall seeing improvement I would say, but I don't want to make the mistake of letting hope lead me to read positive results into ambiguous data sort to speak.

Interested to see other's experiences with this!

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Keep us updated on when you make the switch to Keto!

I wonder if you'll be able to get into ketosis easily (without symptoms) since your body is likely already entering it while fasting.

Well I have been full keto since Monday (this is day 6). No keto flu symptoms apart from a slightly sore throat which I think I just picked up in the pool, sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi after my workouts. All that warm moist air and water is a good breeding ground for virus's and germs.

One day of slight constipation so I upped my fibre. Have noticed a change in body odour but that has settled down now.

I have moved from 40 mins of pure cardio to 15-20 min cardio plus 1/2 hour of weight training which I haven't done in an age so suffering with stiff and sore muscles which should tail off sometime next week.

I had a cheat weekend last Saturday and Sunday when I made 12 pizza's. That cost me 3lbs. But have been losing 1lb a day again since Tuesday.

OMAD + KETO rocks.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
I had no trouble sleeping. I do remember not using the bathroom often at the beginning (1-1.5 times per week) but I never felt constipated.

If I did have sleep issues, I probably would have supplemented with magnesium right before bed and made sure I was getting enough salt.

Yeah I tried mass amounts of electros and didn't help =/ Felt like I couldn't hold on to any of them no matter what I did with the lack of carbs.

The thing I've learned about diet is that it truly is extremely variable by person. We all have genetic weaknesses in different organs. For example, someone with weak adrenal glands already has a very hard time regulating electrolytes, so when they try keto, they can't hold onto any sodium, potassium, magnesium.

Someone with a weak pancreas can't handle certain foods because their pancreas isn't producing enough digestive enzymes for those foods.

Etc, etc.

It's very interesting though when somebody finds the diet that accommodates their genetic weaknesses.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
o6envc.jpg

HLdXqGX.jpg
Remember FAT is good. Keto is a low carb, moderate protein, high FAT lifestyle. All the best.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Lets leave that to the specialists.
I listen to Ultimate Health Podcast and all these specialists come on there and I hear all kinds of contradictions when it comes to nutrition. One says ,"No grains." One says, "Meat is bad is founded on bad science and government told us that" One says, "Plants hate humans. They give us disease to defend themselves" One says, "Keto cures cancer based on my studies" "Check T3/T4 levels for Thyroid. It cured everything." All kinds of contradictions...

G

Guest24480

I have started to incorporate butter into my diet due to its fat content. I think it's important to keep fat intake high on the carnivore/keto diet, otherwise energy will get low. I cook my steak in a pan and baste it with butter to make it easy. After almost a week on the diet, I am now getting very full after my meals for the first time in years. Not an uncomfortable feeling of fullness, but an overwhelming feeling of satiation, like I don't have any cravings or need to think about food for another 5 hours.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
I've been curious about the carnivore diet ever since I heard about it.

Have you found that you've put on muscle mass at all from eating carnivore?

I hear thats not particularly uncommon actually.

I have put on muscle and lost fat at the same time.

One thing interesting about carnivore when it comes to weightlifting is that I get less sore compared to when I was eating more carbs from veggies in keto.

Today is actually a workout day where I'm going to try to destroy my upper body with a shit-ton of volume to see if I can induce soreness.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.