The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My class "DESTROYED!" classical education doing ONE thing! (PROOF you don't need classic education)

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
352%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Hey all!

Click bait worthy title amirite?

ANYWHO! Before we start this thread is not to shame Public Education in it's whole (Just some of it)

As you might have guessed from the title I am still biding my time in High School!

Before I graduated I wanted to become the Valedictorian, I began to research the question of "How do we learn"

The BIG! SECRET!?!?

- Practice.

I didn't believe it really having grown up with the whole "Re-reading, Highlight, different styles of learning" Jazz. Schools always giving you tools that seem to never help in studying and memory retention

Long science short, the Nueral connections that your brain makes during the extraction of new material wants to be absorbed by metabolic processes. To stop this phenomenon one must access the newly formed neuron enough to imprint it into your frontal lobe.

I SHARED THIS with my class, (an Advanced Placement Science Credit) We've ALL gotten A's the past three months whereas previously it was 65% or more in a low c range

AND HOW LONG DOES THAT TAKE!?!

45 MINS!!!!!!

Now obviously there's room for variance in there but that's a close general guideline for learning a new concept!

I hope this helped someone out!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
The more you study the more you remember??? Say what??

Are you saying that if I re-read something for 45 minutes straight that information will be in my long-term memory? Is this a short-term memory vs long-term memory thing?

Jonathan Polley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Feb 26, 2016
Valencia, Spain
Hey all!

The BIG! SECRET!?!?

- Practice.

I didn't believe it really having grown up with the whole "Re-reading, Highlight, different styles of learning" Jazz. Schools always giving you tools that seem to never help in studying and memory retention

What you are describing here are very low order thinking skills, that's not to say that they have no value. But you aren't really "learning" in the sense that you can understand or apply your knowledge. You are simply learning facts to regurgitate at a later date, and probably to pass an exam.
Bloomtaxonomy-e1445435495371.jpg

How do you learn? Well, to keep it in simple terms then you need to work your way up the pyramid. I suggest if you really want to understand pedagogy then read some Piaget.

But I think you are looking for shortcuts to learning. And frankly, they don't work, sorry.

Edit: unless by "practice" you are referring to using your skills again and again. In which case you would be at the apply level which is middle order.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
352%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
What you are describing here are very low order thinking skills, that's not to say that they have no value. But you aren't really "learning" in the sense that you can understand or apply your knowledge. You are simply learning facts to regurgitate at a later date, and probably to pass an exam.
Bloomtaxonomy-e1445435495371.jpg

How do you learn? Well, to keep it in simple terms then you need to work your way up the pyramid. I suggest if you really want to understand pedagogy then read some Piaget.

But I think you are looking for shortcuts to learning. And frankly, they don't work, sorry.

Edit: unless by "practice" you are referring to using your skills again and again. In which case you would be at the apply level which is middle order.

This is in application of the 80/20 rule

of course I'd like to maximize my time and effort. Knowing every little thing is often time irrelevant. I do appreciate this pyramid though

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Can you explain your study methods? 45 minutes of what? You said you don't do things like re-reading, highlighting, etc. So what do you do?

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
352%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Can you explain your study methods? 45 minutes of what? You said you don't do things like re-reading, highlighting, etc. So what do you do?

Forgive me I wasn't specific, when I was referring to practice I meant the literal

Practice as in. Practice tests, asking questions in your mind (mental questions), elaborative interrogation. Things of that nature, "applying" everything per say

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Cool thanks, I'll try it.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
352%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC

Barbara Oakley's Ted Talk explains this better than I ever could!!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.