The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Big FTE Moment

Anything related to matters of the mind

Mokeymark

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Dec 18, 2020
My Big FTE Moment

I’m incredibly happy that I found MJ DeMarco’s books and this forum, even if it’s 25 years later than I would have liked. I have been an engineer, inventor, and problem solver since the early 1990’s, but usually (okay, always) for other people. My burning desire to solve problems and my equal desire to have the freedom to do so on my own terms has always been hamstrung by my perceived lack of business acumen.

In my 20’s, I made a few attempts at launching businesses, but they all failed within a year. I didn’t know any successful entrepreneurs or business owners, and I thought that I was just born without the proper business mindset. All my friends and family convinced me that my self-doubt was well placed, and that my best prospect was to work for a corporation or organization with deep pockets. I could design and invent with abandon, without any personal financial risk, while earning a steady paycheck. Sure, I would never get a big payout, but wasn’t the work its own reward?

I did that for a couple decades. I spent years in corporate research and development as well as university research laboratories. I loved the work most of the time, but I still had a gnawing feeling that something was wrong. I was not satisfied, and I never stopped inventing things in my garage, on evenings and weekends. But those endeavors were relegated to hobby status. I never tried to launch a product, since I had convinced myself that I was, “Not that guy.”

I missed what should have been a huge FTE moment back in 2006. I had just returned to civilian work after an 18-month military deployment to Iraq. I was working as a Research Engineer in a university DNA laboratory. While I was gone, they had built a machine under contract for the FBI. This machine was for automated preparation of DNA samples collected at a crime scene. It completely filled a 6’ table, weighed nearly 200lbs, and used many proprietary and expensive components. It worked, and it fulfilled the FBI’s requirements, but I looked at it with fresh eyes and, after much analysis, realized I could do the same thing with 1/20th the size and weight, and 1/50th the cost. I approached my boss with my idea, and he gave me a hundred reasons why I would fail. Further, he would not allow me to spend time working on my pet project.

I rebelled, in a passive-aggressive way. I made a folder on the shared network drive called “Mark’s Super-Secret Project” so everyone could see my work. In my spare time and after hours, I tinkered with my idea for the miniature DNA sample preparation machine. My work caught the interest of a friend and coworker (a software guy), and soon we were working on it together, usually on Saturdays at the awesome little coffee shop in our building on campus.

Then one day, during our weekly all-hands lab meeting, our boss said that the British government was soliciting bids (requests for proposals) for… wait for it… a miniature DNA sample preparation machine. They wanted to put several of them in mobile crime-scene vans so they could process DNA immediately. My boss lamented that the only thing he could throw at the proposal was the behemoth machine they had created for the FBI.

Holy crap! I was instantly vindicated! Further, my co-worker and I were able to immediately unveil a functional prototype! The university flew us to England where we made a live pitch. Long story short, after our pitch and full proposal we secured a 5 year, $10 million grant for our department. My boss never ate crow, and I never said, “I told you so!” I figured I would let my work do the talking.

A few weeks later, my boss handed me an offer letter. In further vindication, he was offering a new title, new position, and a fat pay raise. I was on top of the world! I accepted and signed the offer! I brought champagne home that night, and my wife and I celebrated! My friends and family shared in my success, and those events seemed to justify my choice of working for someone else, and not suffering the trials and tribulations of being an entrepreneur….

FTE moment: The following Monday, still riding high, I was at my desk when my boss walks in. He said that the university decided they could not give me the raise and promotion. It was not in the budget, and even if it were, since I don’t have a PhD, it would not be “appropriate” for me to hold that position.

He walked out. I sat there, stunned. I’m not spineless; after the initial shock, the depth of the betrayal and hypocrisy sank in. I immediately handed in my resignation. But do you think I used that massive wake-up call to vow, “Never again!” and to tear up the script? Nope. I left and went to another organization, where I added to their patent portfolio and never saw a dime. That is how deeply I had deluded myself that being an entrepreneur just is not in my own DNA.

Fast forward to a few days ago. For the past three months, I have been working on an invention (a design for a new product) for a friend of mine. Oblivious, right? But then, my friend sent a link to a YouTube video where someone talks about the books by MJ DeMarco. I bought both the Audible books, and just finished listening to both of them. The content of these books was like a 55-gallon drum of gasoline getting dumped on the tiny flame of entrepreneurial spirit inside me.

Now, finally, I say, “Never again!” It’s on like Donkey Kong!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheKingOfMadrid

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Dec 14, 2020
Thank you for sharing this, we often learn far more from those willing to share their mistakes or bad moments than those who sheer their experience in varnish.

Your story is actually one i've heard quite a few time's albeit in different fields with different patented products.

The problem with inventors is many of them tend to be incredibly nice, in fact they make some of the best sharers of knowledge - but they are absolutely naive to how business, and really, the world at large works.

In theory they have everything they need to create one successful business after another but they either need a business minded partner OR time spent learning business like yourself.

Personally i'm excited to follow your journey, with your knowledge and new found fire blood - you've got a recipe to become unstoppable in 2021.

Here's to being an entrepreneur - say it out loud enough times and you'll begin to feel it with every fibre.

sfarieri

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Oct 11, 2020
Long Island, NY
My Big FTE Moment

I’m incredibly happy that I found MJ DeMarco’s books and this forum, even if it’s 25 years later than I would have liked. I have been an engineer, inventor, and problem solver since the early 1990’s, but usually (okay, always) for other people. My burning desire to solve problems and my equal desire to have the freedom to do so on my own terms has always been hamstrung by my perceived lack of business acumen.

In my 20’s, I made a few attempts at launching businesses, but they all failed within a year. I didn’t know any successful entrepreneurs or business owners, and I thought that I was just born without the proper business mindset. All my friends and family convinced me that my self-doubt was well placed, and that my best prospect was to work for a corporation or organization with deep pockets. I could design and invent with abandon, without any personal financial risk, while earning a steady paycheck. Sure, I would never get a big payout, but wasn’t the work its own reward?

I did that for a couple decades. I spent years in corporate research and development as well as university research laboratories. I loved the work most of the time, but I still had a gnawing feeling that something was wrong. I was not satisfied, and I never stopped inventing things in my garage, on evenings and weekends. But those endeavors were relegated to hobby status. I never tried to launch a product, since I had convinced myself that I was, “Not that guy.”

I missed what should have been a huge FTE moment back in 2006. I had just returned to civilian work after an 18-month military deployment to Iraq. I was working as a Research Engineer in a university DNA laboratory. While I was gone, they had built a machine under contract for the FBI. This machine was for automated preparation of DNA samples collected at a crime scene. It completely filled a 6’ table, weighed nearly 200lbs, and used many proprietary and expensive components. It worked, and it fulfilled the FBI’s requirements, but I looked at it with fresh eyes and, after much analysis, realized I could do the same thing with 1/20th the size and weight, and 1/50th the cost. I approached my boss with my idea, and he gave me a hundred reasons why I would fail. Further, he would not allow me to spend time working on my pet project.

I rebelled, in a passive-aggressive way. I made a folder on the shared network drive called “Mark’s Super-Secret Project” so everyone could see my work. In my spare time and after hours, I tinkered with my idea for the miniature DNA sample preparation machine. My work caught the interest of a friend and coworker (a software guy), and soon we were working on it together, usually on Saturdays at the awesome little coffee shop in our building on campus.

Then one day, during our weekly all-hands lab meeting, our boss said that the British government was soliciting bids (requests for proposals) for… wait for it… a miniature DNA sample preparation machine. They wanted to put several of them in mobile crime-scene vans so they could process DNA immediately. My boss lamented that the only thing he could throw at the proposal was the behemoth machine they had created for the FBI.

Holy crap! I was instantly vindicated! Further, my co-worker and I were able to immediately unveil a functional prototype! The university flew us to England where we made a live pitch. Long story short, after our pitch and full proposal we secured a 5 year, $10 million grant for our department. My boss never ate crow, and I never said, “I told you so!” I figured I would let my work do the talking.

A few weeks later, my boss handed me an offer letter. In further vindication, he was offering a new title, new position, and a fat pay raise. I was on top of the world! I accepted and signed the offer! I brought champagne home that night, and my wife and I celebrated! My friends and family shared in my success, and those events seemed to justify my choice of working for someone else, and not suffering the trials and tribulations of being an entrepreneur….

FTE moment: The following Monday, still riding high, I was at my desk when my boss walks in. He said that the university decided they could not give me the raise and promotion. It was not in the budget, and even if it were, since I don’t have a PhD, it would not be “appropriate” for me to hold that position.

He walked out. I sat there, stunned. I’m not spineless; after the initial shock, the depth of the betrayal and hypocrisy sank in. I immediately handed in my resignation. But do you think I used that massive wake-up call to vow, “Never again!” and to tear up the script? Nope. I left and went to another organization, where I added to their patent portfolio and never saw a dime. That is how deeply I had deluded myself that being an entrepreneur just is not in my own DNA.

Fast forward to a few days ago. For the past three months, I have been working on an invention (a design for a new product) for a friend of mine. Oblivious, right? But then, my friend sent a link to a YouTube video where someone talks about the books by MJ DeMarco. I bought both the Audible books, and just finished listening to both of them. The content of these books was like a 55-gallon drum of gasoline getting dumped on the tiny flame of entrepreneurial spirit inside me.

What a crazy but also inspiring story. I'm sorry to hear you didn't get that promotion and pay raise, but it appears you're meant for bigger and better things. MJ's books are legit and I learned a lot from them and I'm glad to see you did as well.

I'd love to connect with you and pick your brain a bit if you don't mind!

Keep working on those talents of yours. You will get where you want to be.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
mother of pearl, does it work like this in academia?

That's the most unbelievably daft thing I've heard uttered in a long time.

since I don’t have a PhD, it would not be “appropriate” for me to hold that position.

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015

Incredible! Exciting to see what you can accomplish with an improved mindset.

karakoram

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Apr 9, 2011
San Antonio, TX

You've had your eyes opened: Companies (or universities) are under NO obligation to reward us engineers (or scientists) beyond the salary they promised us.

I've created many products for companies - companies owned by only 1 or 2 people - mostly small businesses. I've seen the owners profit from my ideas, and my hard work on desiging these products, and going through the pain of working through prototypes, fixing them, redesigning them, and so on, until they had a great product that they lit their market place on fire with. You've experienced the same thing.

Please don't get me wrong: I don't begrudge them for this. They paid me for my work. They gave me a job when I needed income. But, if you, as an engineer, want to reap the highest rewards, you must be the owner of the company. This is what I am doing now. Side advice: I also strongly recommend avoiding partners if you can.

Running a business is not rocket surgery. The principals you need to understand are not nearly as difficult as the various theories we use in engineering. There's some great videos on YouTube of Elon Musk's business advice. For all intents and purposes, he's and engineer turned businessman (yes, I know he started out in software, but he has a very good understanding of physics and chemistry as well, and I would argue that his practical knowledge, gained from being on the ground at SpaceX, Tesla, etc. have educated him far more than any recent graduate of engineering school). The 2 most important things he says: 1)Focus on the customer and 2) make a superior product.

Where will you go from here?

Mokeymark

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Dec 18, 2020
Thank you for sharing this, we often learn far more from those willing to share their mistakes or bad moments than those who sheer their experience in varnish.

Your story is actually one i've heard quite a few time's albeit in different fields with different patented products.

The problem with inventors is many of them tend to be incredibly nice, in fact they make some of the best sharers of knowledge - but they are absolutely naive to how business, and really, the world at large works.

In theory they have everything they need to create one successful business after another but they either need a business minded partner OR time spent learning business like yourself.

Personally i'm excited to follow your journey, with your knowledge and new found fire blood - you've got a recipe to become unstoppable in 2021.

Here's to being an entrepreneur - say it out loud enough times and you'll begin to feel it with every fibre.
Thank you! I'm just waking up to the fact that I have been an entrepreneur trapped in a scripted life. Time to make things happen!

Mokeymark

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Dec 18, 2020
What a crazy but also inspiring story. I'm sorry to hear you didn't get that promotion and pay raise, but it appears you're meant for bigger and better things. MJ's books are legit and I learned a lot from them and I'm glad to see you did as well.

I'd love to connect with you and pick your brain a bit if you don't mind!

Keep working on those talents of yours. You will get where you want to be.
I'll keep cranking away! Message me if you have questions.

Mokeymark

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Dec 18, 2020
Wow. Is there no way to rebuild the machine again with even greater efficiency and patent it?
That was nearly 15 years ago so I'm sure the state of the art has moved on. With that said, I'm also sure that anything can be improved!

Mokeymark

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Dec 18, 2020
You've had your eyes opened: Companies (or universities) are under NO obligation to reward us engineers (or scientists) beyond the salary they promised us.

I've created many products for companies - companies owned by only 1 or 2 people - mostly small businesses. I've seen the owners profit from my ideas, and my hard work on desiging these products, and going through the pain of working through prototypes, fixing them, redesigning them, and so on, until they had a great product that they lit their market place on fire with. You've experienced the same thing.

Please don't get me wrong: I don't begrudge them for this. They paid me for my work. They gave me a job when I needed income. But, if you, as an engineer, want to reap the highest rewards, you must be the owner of the company. This is what I am doing now. Side advice: I also strongly recommend avoiding partners if you can.

Running a business is not rocket surgery. The principals you need to understand are not nearly as difficult as the various theories we use in engineering. There's some great videos on YouTube of Elon Musk's business advice. For all intents and purposes, he's and engineer turned businessman (yes, I know he started out in software, but he has a very good understanding of physics and chemistry as well, and I would argue that his practical knowledge, gained from being on the ground at SpaceX, Tesla, etc. have educated him far more than any recent graduate of engineering school). The 2 most important things he says: 1)Focus on the customer and 2) make a superior product.

Where will you go from here?
Right now, my day job pays the bills but I'm investing every moment of free time into my own products and ideas. It's never too late!

Mokeymark

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Dec 18, 2020
mother of pearl, does it work like this in academia?

That's the most unbelievably daft thing I've heard uttered in a long time.
Academia is largely political. It's a very strange world, and I could write an entire book about how dysfunctional it is.

Thinh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 11, 2018
From what I’ve read, you’ve got the brains and the skills.
Now that you’ve opened your eyes to the right mindset, you are ready to soar.
I’m pretty sure you will be able to make a dent in your universe, as long as you’re willing to put some skin in the game when needed.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.