The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Most Helpful Trade, Rentals?

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
I am not sure how many of you went to learn a trade, but what would you consider a useful trade to learn when it comes to rental homes/apartments? Especially when it comes to fixing them up in a more of a routine basis, if you live in the area of the homes. It wouldn't be useful to learn a trade that you would only use once in 2 decades on a rental home like concrete to me...

like plumbing, electrical...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Wimtbimtb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Dec 14, 2008
South East Michigan
Plumbing hands down most people don't like dealing with " Shit" Thats why they get paid so nice to clean up others people shit. Nice side income to use a snake / drain cleaner 5 min's work $75.00 bucks thank you for the business :)

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
I can do carpentry, masonry(REALLY well), roofing, and gutters. But when I get in the position to rehab a home that I own, I will use my connections that I have acquired over the years. People that owe me favors, yada yada.

Really, if you plan to rehab yourself, I'd hope you at least have some basic working knowledge.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
Something that happens often and when it happens people NEED it fixed now. Plumbing, Heating, Window & Door replacement.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
Learn property management.

With a trade, you don't make money unless you are working.

With property management, you'll find a tenant & get it rented once, then get a commission every month for years. The more properties you manage, the more commissions you make. Manage an apartment building and you are set.

You Get Residual Income!

There is always a need for good property managers.

Windsurfer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Jul 5, 2013
Minnesota
Couldn't agree more with Cash Flow Depot. I try to look at how I spend my time in terms of $'s/hour. A good property manager with a lot of units can make an exponential return in this area if she is well-organized and have a lot of systems automated. But if you are a plumber/electrician/HVAC guy, you can only work on one toilet/electrical box/furnace at a time. Even if you are making $200/hour it is still a slowlane job that won't scale.

When I bought my first properties I would ask contractors if I could help them do what they are doing (at no pay or discount) and would ask lots of questions to get an idea of what their job entails. This gave me a good idea of when a contractor is blowing smoke up my a*s or is a good one. But now I just manage my properties and most of the management is through cell phone or computer. I use a management software service called Buildium (Property Management Software | Buildium | Home) and it really helps.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.