The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

More bad news for debt holders

Anything related to investing, including crypto

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
not sure if this should have been posted on the real estate forum due to its nature, but the stock itself is at immediate risk... longer term devaluations face the real estate market itself. and the current super flight to saftey right now probably makes a great opportunity to buy reverse bond funds.... Treasuries must be trading at or close to their peaks...

anyway, it looks like another mortgage company is about to take a dirt nap and thats how the market will perceive it. But this is a small part of ANHs port so it looks like ANH should be fine (but kiss the subsidiary buh-bye) and what I am finding really amazing right now is that these companies had opportunities to exchange their callable or non-agency paper for a loss and move on...I think their margin calls have to be filled within 24 hours (Can anyone verify this?) which may be too fast for them to move due to lack of buyers, but arent these companies in touch with their warehouse facilities to make sure they dont get margin calls to avoid this very scenario??? some reason, these companies held on to their paper for dear life as if the captain wouldnt leave the ship all the while their counterparts are getting blown to bits and pieces and the handwriting is on the wall for all of them to see! Now that they are forced to sell the paper on an open market with few buyers, well... you know the rest...

I think the MBS Reits are all played out, so I started looking at regional banks. I would think some of the banks with high mortgage exposure in California and/or Florida are succeptible to the downturn and could face dire circumstances... wish I could forsee the future and speculate that shorting these regional banks with high levels of exposure would be a good trade now, but from what I am reading, the banks are regulated to avoid the kind of leverage the MBS`s have and have wider spreads on their mortgages. Anyone else have ideas on playing this mortgage downturn?

Also, this continuing blow-up episode has to have a serious impact on home builders and the real estate market as a whole.

here is the article-

Anworth Mortgage Asset Corporation Announces Company Updates
SANTA MONICA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 9, 2007--Anworth Mortgage Asset Corporation (NYSE:ANH) announced today that its wholly-owned subsidiary, Belvedere Trust Mortgage Corporation (or Belvedere Trust), has received a notice of default from two of its repurchase agreement lenders. Belvedere Trust has recently received additional, substantial margin requests from several of its repurchase agreement lenders, and will continue to explore all of its alternatives with respect to its sudden liquidity issues. It is likely that a substantial amount of Belvedere Trust's portfolio of MBS may need to be sold in an effort to satisfy the requests of its lenders. Given the substantial uncertainty in the secondary market for securities similar to those owned by Belvedere Trust, it is likely that any sale prices for its securities may be significantly below their estimated fair value as of June 30, 2007.

Anworth's exposure to its Belvedere Trust subsidiary consists of its initial investment of $100 million ($83 million net of the Accumulated Other Comprehensive Loss at June 30, 2007) and intercompany loans that total $42.8 million to date. At this time, Anworth does not expect its intercompany loan balance to increase substantially in the near future. Anworth is not a counterparty to Belvedere Trust's repurchase agreement borrowings and has not provided any guarantee with respect to those borrowings.

As discussed in the Company's news release of August 7, 2007, Anworth continues to hold a significant balance of Agency MBS which are not pledged to counterparties relative to its outstanding repurchase agreement borrowings. These unpledged assets continue to provide a valuable source of liquidity relative to Anworth's financing secured by its Agency MBS if necessary.

About Anworth Mortgage Asset Corporation

Anworth is a mortgage real estate investment trust (REIT) which invests in mortgage assets, including mortgage pass-through certificates, collateralized mortgage obligations, mortgage loans and other real estate securities. Anworth generates income for distribution to shareholders primarily based on the difference between the yield on its mortgage assets and the cost of its borrowings. Through its wholly-owned subsidiary, Belvedere Trust Mortgage Corporation, Anworth also invests in high quality jumbo adjustable-rate mortgages and finances these loans through securitizations.

Safe Harbor Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
Don't try to catch a falling knife in the public big markets. Real estate deals with motivated sellers, if you can find them, and make reasonable terms, are usually good but trading the broad market is difficult.

:iagree:

good point regarding real estate... probably much easier naming terms and prices today as a buyer than as recently as a few months ago.

Also, regarding CountryWide, (CFC) - it appears they were having difficulty selling their pools and buyers were not biting... this is the justification for the news they made yesterday and this is probably the main reason for some of the smaller mortgage companies blowing up.... they were just unable to unload their paper to fund new deals...

now, onto the markets - I am at 50% cash and waiting... would like to see the dust settle before buying and may move to more cash today... I really dont like seeing France having to interject and close funds because they lost their shirts in US mortgage markets. This could really be a sign that the debacle that could spill over into Asia...

to make a perfect storm, China would dump their US treasury holdings which is probably perfect timing considering their prices yesterday. unfortunately, this is not an unrealistic scenario and could be the final nail in the coffin before Bombs-away Ben and govt intervenes

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
somebody hit my portfolio with the ugly stick today. The lack of visibility in determining MBS true values is nearly impossible with so many off the balance sheets stuff... however, with the release of all liability associated with BT, it looks like ANH preferreds are going to be solid and getting them in the mid 19s is probably the deal of the century for the conservative yield seeker... hold off from buying the commons at this juncture is prudent as book value is still yet to be determined after the dust settles with Belvedere write off...

My metals and fertilizers are sucking wind and this aberation spilling over the rest of the markets isnt justified, but this keg powder of extra cash should come in handy on Monday and Tuesday.

I did buy some GMO today in 3 increments. just when I thought I had this market all figured out...

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Cancel anytime

$5 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 22% vs monthly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • 30% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Bookmark any posts
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • 50% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription ($34 Value)

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.