The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Mom sucked into MLM - time for an intervention

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
My retired mother has signed up with FHTMUS, which is a MLM company selling several online services. A little background - she signed up with Amway about 35 years ago, and took me along at age 16 too. I quickly ran numbers to show how that could scale huge, and made an enthusiastically received presentation to the rest of the group . The more I worked the plan, though, the more I realized that MLM isn't the way to start, grow, and run a business. Looking back on it, I realize now the problem is you don't really provide your customers much value. You provide your subordinates the appearance of value, and everyone is chasing the money

Neither of us did well with Amway. She ended up doing what she always did - working a job. That's what I ended up doing too.

She ended up retiring from her head librarian position from a small town in Michigan last year, and I think is starting to get antsy. Maybe she wants more income, maybe she's bored, maybe she wants more validation at this point in life. I dunno.

Anyway, she drank the Kool-Aid again. Now my sister and I are getting emails from her about how we can really help her by buying these products thru her. Ugh. I love my mom, and would do anything to make her happy, but I need to weigh that against what I think is in her best interests.

So, now I get to walk a tricky path. I need to get her to understand the reality of MLM, how it is hugely weighted against her. I need to convey the importance of CENTS. And I dearly hope I can steer her out of the wasteland onto the fastlane without her feeling managed.

I am ordering a hard copy of TMF and getting it delivered to her house. I think this will be the best introduction to these concepts since they come with 3rd party validity. We talk every month or so, so this will become a topic of conversation.

Maybe you know someone like this. I could really use any advice you might have.

And, wish us luck!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I researched them a while back (not looking to join), they promise people making money selling services like tv from quest and phone service from Verizon (and they claim to be "partners" with them which is false) and stuff when in reality, the commissions off of those sales is only like .006%, the only way to make money with them is to get more people on board, they are in several class action law suits in various states, they are about as close to a pyramid scheme as you can get, tell your mom to get out of there fast!

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
I am glad some MLM companies at least switched from "start your mlm business opportunity" to calling it "become a CONSULTANT for us"

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Its amazing that MLM's have this uncanny ability to draw people in. It seems like it should be harder to get people to join than it actually is

Rain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 5, 2011
There is money in MLM if you can market well. Otherwise, you're f'd.

Ask her is she has a marketing plan. If she does, evaluate it. If she doesn't, or if her plan is "showing your friends and family this CD/DVD/online video" (or something similar), that is no plan at all, and she is set up for failure. If this is the case, I'd explain to her what this means and make sure she understands it.

A copy of TMF is nice as well.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
Its amazing that MLM's have this uncanny ability to draw people in. It seems like it should be harder to get people to join than it actually is

It's an event with no process. For X dollars you can have your own business. Easy to get into, but people have no idea what to do then.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York

That is totally amazing isn't it? Even people who have joined other ones before think to themselves, "But this time it will be different!"

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
People ignore reality when they have a need, such as income/job. Especially these days with high unemployment, people are going to be more receptive to MLM pitches. MLM, direct sales, work from home, direct selling, business opportunities, franchises, etc...I'm sure are picking up interest from high unemployment situation.

mdlevy2004

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 4, 2012
I am currently part of a direct selling mlm that allows users to send greeting cards to your clients and family members over the internet for cheaper than you could get at the store. Plus you get the option to send baked goods, books, dvds and other neat items with your cards. It is the best company out there and there is almost no competition. The compensation plan is sweet and the whole organization is so fun. If any of you are looking for a fun and a different type of mlm, message me and I will share. I enjoy it a lot. You can be either a customer or a distributor, either way the system to send the cards is just spectacular.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
You won't last long here buddy. Don't you have mentoring to get back to? In between greeting cards that is...

Rain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 5, 2011
I am currently part of a direct selling mlm that allows users to send greeting cards to your clients and family members over the internet for cheaper than you could get at the store. Plus you get the option to send baked goods, books, dvds and other neat items with your cards. It is the best company out there and there is almost no competition. The compensation plan is sweet and the whole organization is so fun. If any of you are looking for a fun and a different type of mlm, message me and I will share. I enjoy it a lot. You can be either a customer or a distributor, either way the system to send the cards is just spectacular.

Your mlm's particular service aside, your pitch is essentially a cookie cutter mlm pitch. Not appealing or original.

To be truly successful in mlm, you have to come up with your own stuff, and treat it like your business. Hence, the argument: "if that's what I have to do, I may as well just literally start my own business anyway - and not be a glorified sales rep for someone else's [business]."

Either way, I wish you luck, but passively spamming forums (this forum especially) is probably not going to help you.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
PLUS...The fact that you work at the local municipal swimming pool doesn't help paint a picture of success you probably would like people to believe in order to recruit them into your greeting card mlm downline

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
PLUS...The fact that you work at the local municipal swimming pool doesn't help paint a picture of success you probably would like people to believe in order to recruit them into your greeting card mlm downline

I love how worked up you're getting over this guy. :eusa_clap:

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL

@mdlevy2004 I am currently part of a nifty little cult that allows you to meet the real JC, you can meet him over the internet for cheaper than you could get at the actual compound where he lives. Plus you get the option to read, talk, learn and other neat things with your cult members. It is the best cult out there and there is almost no competition that comes close. The forgiveness plan is sweet and the whole organization is so fun. If any of you are looking for a fun and a different type of cult, message me and I will share. I enjoy it a LOT. You can be either a believer or a believer, either way the cult is just spectacular.

So, you interested?

[video=youtube;1t6npABeFcI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t6npABeFcI&feature=g-vrec[/video]

But seriously I watched this today and the one thing that kept popping into my head was that it's absurd how easily people can be persuaded to do something (even something absolutely ridiculous [like join a cult])

Not something you have to watch all of, just skip through and get the general idea, you will be amazed, its odd how incredibly oblivious people can be to reality or the situation they are in.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I am currently part of a direct selling mlm that allows users to send greeting cards to your clients and family members over the internet for cheaper than you could get at the store.

The forum tagline says "Actionable Strategy for the Fastlane Entrepreneur"

Around here, MLM is not considered an entrepreneurial activity unless you OWN (Read: Founded and started) this company. That said, we don't mind MLM being apart of a greater Fastlane plan, we just don't want to hear about it, nor be sold on it -- a Fastlaner knows exactly where he stands and when it comes to MLM: he stands miles away.

DTS Ltd

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 17, 2012
The forum tagline says "Actionable Strategy for the Fastlane Entrepreneur"

Around here, MLM is not considered an entrepreneurial activity unless you OWN (Read: Founded and started) this company. That said, we don't mind MLM being apart of a greater Fastlane plan, we just don't want to hear about it, nor be sold on it -- a Fastlaner knows exactly where he stands and when it comes to MLM: he stands miles away.

I've got to borrow that last line...

Amail,

Maybe you can have her read this article:

Dream and Hustle » It

The language can be a little harsh, but the historical perspective is priceless.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
That is totally amazing isn't it? Even people who have joined other ones before think to themselves, "But this time it will be different!"

Same with people who buy diet books/pills, start a business books/dvds/lectures etc etc

Hope springs eternal

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I've got to borrow that last line...

Amail,

Maybe you can have her read this article:

Dream and Hustle » It

The language can be a little harsh, but the historical perspective is priceless.

God, that article was hard to read.

But it's true. "...if a person in the MLM hustle ain’t the one pushing the product, then that person is just a top b*tch or a bottom b*tch to the pimp game they can get in where they fit in." If it's not your product, you're the sucker!

DTS Ltd

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 17, 2012
The-J, I think you can understand why I offered the disclaimer...Rough language, but you get the point.

For someone who may have gotten caught up in the MLM situation, the explicitness of the language might help them
to start thinking critically about what they got involved in...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.