The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MJ's Recommended Bookshelf

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've been getting a lot of emails lately about recommended books so I created this page...

Fastlane Bookstore

These are the books I recommend and their topical breakdown. If you notice, general wealth really doesn't have many recommendations -- this is one of the reasons why I wrote TMF !

There are other books I will add as I go through my bookshelf and I will update this thread accordingly.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

glenm

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Apr 12, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for the list. As expected its not the typical list you see on most websites. I am currently reading TMF and have read Rich Dad. The rest are being added to my wish list.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I have a feeling my current read "Who Owns the Ice House" will be added to the list -- only a few chapters in, but I like what I've read thus far. Ill report back when finished.

livebig

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
May 23, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Thanks, MJ. Reread the Millionaire Fastlane yesterday and was thinking the same thing. What books would he recommend in addition to his great material?

And here it is.

After reading your list, it seems like a great one! I was sort of surprised you had a Tony Robbins book on the list, but it is one that I am reading currently. I must say it is really great (some people really diss Tony, but his information does work if you apply it). I can't believe how dense it is, though.

Thanks again, MJ.

Michael

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Thanks M.J.! I"m almost done with "What Rich People Know and Desperately want to Keep Secret" . Really good book so far. I wish he came out with a newer version though. Have you read "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People"? and also what books are good on running your own business? Thanks!

tonye

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Apr 11, 2011
Redondo Beach, CA
I was actually reading Awaken the Giant Within also until I got sidetracked by Millionaire Fastlane hehe. I was planning on reading it after but when I got it in the mail, I did what was supposed to be a "quick preview" but couldn't put it down!

About 20 pages left, then back to Tony Robbins :)

ethicalmarketin

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 13, 2011
Granby, CT
Thanks for the list! It's hard to know which books on Amazon have legitimate reviews. There's a trend lately of authors flooding amazing with fake good reviews and it's very frustrating. I guess good old fashioned word of mouth may be the best way to discover good reads.

jzchristian

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 21, 2011
Henderson, Tx
So what books would you recommend for someone just starting out in web design. My goal is to learn enough in the next year to start a site similar to face book. I am currently reading web design for dummies - You have to start somewhere. I have also bought a social web design book for my kindel by Gavin Bell. Any recommendations on the subject matter would be greatly appreciated.

Blacktye6000

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 17, 2011
Washington, DC
I have a feeling my current read "Who Owns the Ice House" will be added to the list -- only a few chapters in, but I like what I've read thus far. Ill report back when finished.

I just finished "Who Owns the Ice House". I'm jumping off the back of Mr. Walters field truck and getting into the crowded cab of Uncle Cleve's pickup truck...

Mike A.B.

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 19, 2011
Amsterdam, Holland
Looks like I've got some reding to do! Thanks MJ!

keith123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jun 29, 2011
MJ, I just completed my second reading of your book - and still am amazed at the brilliance of it. Have you thought about getting the book translated into other languages?

I was thinking about writing a similar book in Chinese about the real way to wealth, though with a bigger emphasis on disproving the popular notions about education and money in Asia. Would you be interested in having the book translated into Chinese?

marlitamc

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Nov 13, 2011
Toronto
Thanks MJ, I was looking for exactly this list.

Just wondering... although Rich Dad, Poor Dad is an iconic book and establishes the concept that Kiyosaki advocates, I thought his Cashflow Quadrant book has more meat for the Fastlaner. Thoughts?

Cheers, marlitamc

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just wondering... although Rich Dad, Poor Dad is an iconic book and establishes the concept that Kiyosaki advocates, I thought his Cashflow Quadrant book has more meat for the Fastlaner.

Sorry, I can't remember the CF Quadrant and if I read it. If it details RDPD further, than sure why not. I tend to rip on RK but I still recommend his first book on the basis of the entrepreneur/control philosophy. I view RK as a Fastlane author/entrepreneur, not a RE investor.

marlitamc

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Nov 13, 2011
Toronto
Sorry, I can't remember the CF Quadrant and if I read it. If it details RDPD further, than sure why not. I tend to rip on RK but I still recommend his first book on the basis of the entrepreneur/control philosophy. I view RK as a Fastlane author/entrepreneur, not a RE investor.

The Cashflow Quadrant goes deeper into the entrepreneur/control philosophy than RDPD did. Kiyosaki's E-S-B-I quadrant demonstrates why the 99% never achieve wealth.

(Left side of quadrant)
E: Employee — Working for someone else.
S: Self-employed or Small business owner — Where a person owns his own job and is his own boss.

(Right side of quadrant)
B: Business owner — A person who owns a business to make money; typically where the owner's physical presence is not required.
I: Investor — Investing money in order to receive a larger income in the future.

Essentially, B is the money system-based business and I is someone after the cashing out "event." The core concept of CQ is that being an investor or business owner gives one more freedom and a higher upside than being an employee or an owner-operator of a small business.

However, IMHO, Millionaire Fastlane is Cashflow Quadrant on super-galactic steroids :)

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
Some remarks about the Cashflow Quadrant.

. The Cashflow Quadrant as a concept seems to be invented by Keith J. Cunningham. Cunningham was one of Robert Kiyosaki's mentors and is used in the Kiyosaki books as one of his rich dads. Another book that is highly influenced by Cunningham is Rich Dad's Guide to Investing.

. The first half of the book Cashflow Quadrant is very recommendable in that the concept is explained quite clearly. The second half of the book is fluff IMO.

. Keith Cunningham has a different explanation of the CQ than Kiyosaki, who seems to have misunderstood the concept somewhat. According to Cunningham all squares in the quadrant are OK to be in as long as you are capable of introducing enough control and leverage.

E.g. he often quotes Larry Ellison (CEO of Oracle) as being an E. Ellison is a billionaire and this is due to his almost total control of the company Oracle for the past 30 years.

. In my analysis the concept of the CQ is flawed in that the vertical axis has no meaning at all. The quadrant should be a sequence of four stages, E - S - B - I. Almost everyone starts at E or S. Then you progress to B and I. In other words, the sequence is linear and is not a figure with a vertical and horizontal axis.

According to Cunningham, the symbol + was inserted into the quadrant for no other reason than to symbolize the word "plus" and in so doing to express a sort of positivism to all quarters of the quadrant.

This would explain why the vertical axis really has no meaning.

Kiyosaki is aware that he is bad with details. It seems to me that if he really had understood what the CQ was about, he had morphed it into a linear sequence.

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
Keith J. Cunningham seems to have a new book out. The Ultimate Blueprint.

It's definitely worth checking out. Keith is a master.

aikay77

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Mar 6, 2011
Thanks

Thank you MJ.

The list is very much appreciated.

Ronald (Nigeria)

kopac

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 3, 2011
Syracuse, NY
I've been getting a lot of emails lately about recommended books so I created this page...

Fastlane Entrepreneurs | My (Recommended) Bookshelf

These are the books I recommend and their topical breakdown. If you notice, general wealth really doesn't have many recommendations -- this is one of the reasons why I wrote TMF !

There are other books I will add as I go through my bookshelf and I will update this thread accordingly.

MJ,

What did you think of Stephen Key's "One Simple Idea"? I read that book before MF and I found it to be helpful, but lacking some more advanced info. I am going to post my questions (on licensing and endorsements) in another section of the forum. If you have any thoughts, or resources to share I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks again for writing a great book!

Rich

Simon Ashari

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Interesting that you recommend rich dad poor dad.

Definitely a good book. I find his second book (cashflow quadrant) is also a good book.

-Simon

Barry

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 27, 2011
Jamaica
Bump for Newcomers and if Mj wanted to add anything to the list

D

Deleted11391

Ditto....it's been a while and I'm sure MJ has read countless books since then.

These books are golden but would LOVE to see his updated recommendations!

Pleaaaaaaaaaasssssseeee! MJ!

:)

B.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Just my 2 cents; but the "at work" book series are Fastlane GOLD.

Gamers at work
Founders at work
Coders at work
Venture Capitalists at work

shakim

Banned
Jun 6, 2012
I'm reading, "Who Owns The Ice House" along with "How to Get Rick". They both are really intense books with a tonne of blunt and mean advice (which usually none of your peers give you).

Next in line is the Blue Ocean Strategy.

Tlcalis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 25, 2012
MJ do you mind updating your list? :thankyousign:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Last edited:

barbarian

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Feb 8, 2013
hey MJ which others books could you add to the list? It would be fantastic to update the list every month ;)

greetings!

AntiGuru

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
"What Rich People Know & Desperately Want to Keep Secret" was a game-changer for me, probably got me started on the path way back when. Another good one in the same tradition of that one is Richard Dobbins' "What Self-Made Millionaires Really Think, Know and Do"

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.