The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MJ...what would you tell those who are young

Anything related to matters of the mind

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
Me, an under 21 year old fast laner, Found your book at the age of 19. A total 180 of all dogma I had heard growing up. With two hardworking, loving, blue collar parents who are bent on keeping the economy and the American way of life; and their kids, stuck somewhere between 1970 and 1988. This journey gets lonely, especially with every peer I know trying some new form of MDMA or tasting the latest peach vodka. I am not saying it's a bad thing. I do not mind the isolation. I am asking what would you say to those too young to have really good credit, but with the work ethic that surpasses most grown people I know. To those who know that after enough process, the process gets easier. To those who read your words and just know that it is for them. To the young bucks unafraid to swim upstream.

What would you say to the young people who want to find the fastlane fast, who are working towards your own way of life each and every day? what advice would you give? what would you have done sooner? what would you have avoided. If your self now could start from day one of your own fastlane...

what would you do?

I learned from an exectuive at a life insurance office a very valuable lesson.

if you want to survive, learn from your mistakes....if you want to thrive; learn from the mistakes of others

I just finished your chapter on choices. The chapter just after the discrediting the law of attraction. That is the direct motivation for this thread. Why not just ask him yourself?

(typos)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
What would you say to the young people who want to find the fastlane fast, who are working towards your own way of life each and every day? what advice would you give? what would you have done sooner? what would you have avoided. If your self now could start from day one of your own fastlane...

I do believe that's why he wrote the millionaire fastlane . All the advice he would give in book format.

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
@DennisDuty I feel as though the book is good grounds for a launch, But I feel as a young person I guess you can say I am looking for a teacher. Which is wrong but after so many teachers and coaches to suddenly embark on this it can seem very daunting and very isolating,

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Last edited by a moderator:

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
@DennisDuty I feel as though the book is good grounds for a launch, But I feel as a young person I guess you can say I am looking for a teacher. Which is wrong but after so many teachers and coaches to suddenly embark on this it can seem very daunting and very isolating,
Are you some how special compared to all those that came before you?

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014

I feel the book and forum have been more than enough to help me. I rarely NEED any extra input. When I do receive extra advice, praise, nudges from anyone here it's pleasant but I can't depend on anyone or anything when it comes to my own success. If mentors were no longer a thing and books vanished tomorrow, you need to be able to figure it out. What about the mentors who never had mentors? That's an interesting question....

I can't speak for anyone but myself. But as someone who isn't all that far from you in age, I'd say the sooner you learn how to be your own muse and guide, the sooner some really cool stuff happens. Since I've learned to be more self-sufficient and reliant, I have had mentors, I have been given help, I have been invited into groups, I have been given advice, and guidance far beyond what I have ever asked. Once upon a time when I use to ask for things, I rarely ever got them.

When I decided to find the answers myself with little to no requests for support, boy did I get it some really awesome stuff...I'm not a law-of-attraction kind of guy but......

Yeezy

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 22, 2014
New Zealand
@DennisDutyI guess you can say I am looking for a teacher

Here is your mentor/teacher:
internet.jpg

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
Thanks a bunch guys. even for the tough love. I suppose its a mind set. I have the engine and the gas and the knowledge and the drive and the hustle mentality....but there is no firing gun... There is no endzone where you know you chalked up points.. It is simply recreating the perfect steps perfectly over and over. I guess you can say at my age I feel as though what power I do have is limited. But it isn't. It's all in my head. I do to a degree believe in the law of attraction. The law of attraction is kinda like praying to lose weight. It helps sure but it doesn't hit the treadmill for you. I believe in the positive aspect of it. Staying positive is vital to remaining successful in the fast lane. Thanks to you all. maybe I just came here today for some Awe's and pity. back to the grind.

ljb7

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Jun 7, 2014
I think what you've got is an idea in your head that there can be this perfect scenario of how all this will go down. You get an answer to your questions, or you get a mentor, and out of nowhere you become super motivated, and somehow manage to stay super motivated, then eventually you will reach every single one of your goals and desires. It just isn't going to happen like that.

What's more important is trying to take actionable steps each day. If you haven't completed as much as you would've hoped by the end of the day, you chalk it off and aim to do it better the next day. You keep doing that and you'll make progress.

The truth is there is no answer anyone can give to your question that is suddenly going to get you super fired-up and motivated like you would be on that new form of MDMA :p

I'm just trying to stress the fact that it can be tough, but realising that you aren't going to get secret answers that solve these thoughts and problems you are having is important. You really need to keep plugging away, setting short-term goals and aiming to improve every single day! My longest term goal at the moment is having enough passive monthly income for me to move close to my girl (we live a couple hours from one another), so I can run a successful importing business and have time for her - which as you can imagine balancing both at the same time isn't the easiest thing in the world to do.

I hope this helps you a little bit and isn't completely irrelevant! If you ever wanna chat, bounce ideas or w/e shoot me a message and I'll add you on Skype.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Thanks a bunch guys. even for the tough love. I suppose its a mind set. I have the engine and the gas and the knowledge and the drive and the hustle mentality....but there is no firing gun... There is no endzone where you know you chalked up points.. It is simply recreating the perfect steps perfectly over and over. I guess you can say at my age I feel as though what power I do have is limited. But it isn't. It's all in my head. I do to a degree believe in the law of attraction. The law of attraction is kinda like praying to lose weight. It helps sure but it doesn't hit the treadmill for you. I believe in the positive aspect of it. Staying positive is vital to remaining successful in the fast lane. Thanks to you all. maybe I just came here today for some Awe's and pity. back to the grind.

Most people want to score, let's call it a touchdown. The goal is simple, get the ball in the endzone. What happens is we want an open field with no defense--a foolproof way to score. What real life contains, though, is hurdles to that goal--the defense in this case.

So you have to learn to navigate the real world to score. You have to learn to overcome those obstacles on your own, no one can teach you. In the real world of business--much like sports--there's a play called (an outline) but once you grab the ball and start running, you have to make your own decisions.

Unlike football, the choice of goals is yours. Is it a brick and mortar business, real estate, or online ecomm--it's up to you. Find your end-goal, design a play that should get you going towards that goal, take the ball and start running.

The most important aspect of getting to the goal, however, is to start moving. If you never design a plan, never start acting, you're not doing anything.

Good luck!

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013

How can you add more value to people's lives than anyone else before you? Figure this out and then get to work.

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
you chalk it off and aim to do it better the next day This has always been tough for me. I was the football player who made a great 3 quarters then messed up and it plagued me till the end of regulation. To much of a perfectionist at times and often getting to lost in the details. Showing out after long amounts of preparation is suppose to be easy and fun. I Hear all of you and I am grateful for the advice. Maybe get my head around something other than just cash flow or p/e ratio or Net profit. Just take the ball and run

I am not one to shy away from process, but looking at what you y'all have mentioned is that I need to face it a little more. It is just like fitness. When I was 14-15 I got really into fitness. I really wanted to look like those glossy magazine covers. I wanted it NOW. The fastlane is alot like fitness. I wanted to cut to abs right away. But no it is a process. At 20 with alot of hours in the gym and some results I can look back now and say ooooohhhhh I had to eat and lift and eat and lift THEN you would get CLOSER to looking how you want. It is a process. Fastlane is the same way. If there is a day you work 20 hrs....Good. If there is a day you don't touch your Idea at all and read a book...well maybe that was good too. Don't be afraid to have a net 0 day. Thats the hardest part. looking bact at an hour like today asking was it enough.... to much of a doer

do not fear the process. Treat every obstacle like 200 pounds. for a long time I couldn't pick up 200 pounds now I can

thanks y'all

G

GuestUser140

This journey gets lonely, especially with every peer I know trying some new form of MDMA or tasting the latest peach vodka. I am not saying it's a bad thing. I do not mind the isolation.

Somehow you still seem to want to fit in. What draws you to the typical twenty-something lifestyle instead of a Lamborghini Aventador?

Saying you don't mind the isolation is like saying you don't mind long hours of working out when trying to get fit. It doesn't work that way. You gotta love the grind, not just endure it. Embrace it, accept it as the norm rather than an impressive sacrifice.

You gotta make a choice whom you spend your time with. Your chances are too slim if you don't.

what would you do?

This is what I'd do:

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ou-might-want-to-read-this.55438/#post-406004

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
Somehow you still seem to want to fit in. What draws you to the typical twenty-something lifestyle instead of a Lamborghini Aventador?

Saying you don't mind the isolation is like saying you don't mind long hours of working out when trying to get fit. It doesn't work that way. You gotta love the grind, not just endure it. Embrace it, accept it as the norm rather than an impressive sacrifice.

You gotta make a choice whom you spend your time with. Your chances are too slim if you don't.

This is what I'd do:

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ou-might-want-to-read-this.55438/#post-406004
That is true I need to jump in the pool, warm or ice cold and just learn to swim. It needs to be the grind 24/7 and not toeing around. Chewing that thread as we speak.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
who want to find the fastlane fast

Fastlane is a mindset. A lifestyle. You can find it immediately regardless of your bank account's standing. You find it immediately by dismissing conventional dogma and by knowing that the battle is with yourself.

The chapter just after the discrediting the law of attraction.

Your mind is everything. I only "discredit" the LOA for those who wish to use it as their only weapon in a war that will last a lifetime, a war that needs tanks, planes, guns, and infantry-- you need more than just a sidearm.

As for what would I tell "younger folks" that is why I wrote TMF and that's why I'm writing the next.

In fact, this thread here perfectly embodies my motivation for the next chapter of TMF ... which will continue onward in it's philosophy.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ld-and-advice-to-others-at-a-crossroad.56267/

Last edited:

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
its a mindset That is the key to it. It is a mindset. like a fire. stoke it, feed it, keep it burning. It isn't the end point.

Thank you all so much. @MJ DeMarco Thank you for your response and for your book.

Draven Grey

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Oct 21, 2014
Denver, CO
I only "discredit" the LOA for those who wish to use it as their only weapon in a war that will last a lifetime, a war that needs tanks, planes, guns, and infantry-- you need more than just a sidearm.
I found it amazing, extremely useful, and somewhat suspicious just how close the teachings of LOA are to what Psychology calls cognitive dissonance. I actually teach my students to use cognitive dissonance to their advantage, closing the gap between where they are now and where it is they envision themselves being. It can be an incredible tool for causing discomfort and getting you motivated. But cognitive dissonance isn't as flowery as LOA. I found "LOA" much more useful in its Psychology-based form.

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
I found it amazing, extremely useful, and somewhat suspicious just how close the teachings of LOA are to what Psychology calls cognitive dissonance. I actually teach my students to use cognitive dissonance to their advantage, closing the gap between where they are now and where it is they envision themselves being. It can be an incredible tool for causing discomfort and getting you motivated. But cognitive dissonance isn't as flowery as LOA. I found "LOA" much more useful in its Psychology-based form.

yes this is how I see it as well. the standard flowery LOA is much like the southern closed minded baptist. who thanks God, goes to church, and prays to lose weight the weight will just GO away.

it's not quite that simple....

thanks y'all

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Me, an under 21 year old fast laner, Found your book at the age of 19. A total 180 of all dogma I had heard growing up. With two hardworking, loving, blue collar parents who are bent on keeping the economy and the American way of life; and their kids, stuck somewhere between 1970 and 1988. This journey gets lonely, especially with every peer I know trying some new form of MDMA or tasting the latest peach vodka. I am not saying it's a bad thing. I do not mind the isolation. I am asking what would you say to those too young to have really good credit, but with the work ethic that surpasses most grown people I know. To those who know that after enough process, the process gets easier. To those who read your words and just know that it is for them. To the young bucks unafraid to swim upstream.

what would you do?

I learned from an exectuive at a life insurance office a very valuable lesson.

if you want to survive, learn from your mistakes....if you want to thrive; learn from the mistakes of others

I just finished your chapter on choices. The chapter just after the discrediting the law of attraction. That is the direct motivation for this thread. Why not just ask him yourself?

(typos)

This kid has the answer

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.