- Joined
- Jun 11, 2015
- Messages
- 309
Rep Bank
$1,725
$1,725
User Power: 204%
Bit of a long waffle that may not make sense, awake for 48 hours and well overdue a nap!
So, something I've been thinking about lately after reflecting on places I've been in the past, things I think about daily and what I see in others and after having a conversation with a person I met who has achieved a million dollar income who asserts that 'the first step to failure is to ever admit it is possible',
Mindset and Change
Can you really change the underlying tendencies of the mind; or can you just change how you handle your mind's thought process? Does changing how you view things alter how you deal with them, or does how you deal with them alter how you view them? Chicken or Egg? I often hear ''successful people believe they will never fail'' and wonder how true is it really?
Personally, I've had a bout of depression when younger, around 18-22 or so for a variety of reasons. In the early years I didn't really appreciate there was a problem; you don't realise that going home and not talking to anyone or shutting yourself away staring at the ceiling for days on end isn't normal because there's no conscious thought behind it. Which I think was a good thing in the long run as the answer often seems to be 'take some pills, life ain't so bad, kid'. It taught me how to deal with hardship and coming out of it taught me that perseverance is key to success because the choice was come out of it or 'let' it consume me (This is not suggesting that it's a case of shake yourself off, and can appreciate everybody is different in regards to how far uphill they have to travel to get to that point). I'd have days where getting out of bed to use the toilet was a struggle to the point that I'd put off going for a pee for hours if possible which couldn't be more of a polar opposite from how I am now.
So motivating myself to adjusting my mindset, doing one thing a day that I couldn't the day before constantly, one baby step a day and eventually making a move, new job, country etc on the other side of the world from friends and family etc was an accomplishment that I'll forever be proud of and grateful for.
So my question is this. For me, the key was changing my reaction, which broadened my perspective on things and shaking the defeatest within, fear of failure. 'I'm trapped', 'what if I don't meet anyone over there?' 'what if I don't get a job?' etc to 'we'll see how it goes'. Changing 'I can't do this' to 'But I have to, so push through' or 'I'll keep trying until I can' and eventually I did. But it didn't solve the underlying thought process ie the worst case scenario popping into my mind and having to work around it. Even now, if someone does something that I find irritating, I'll choose not to dwell on it or let it ruin my day, or even register on my radar, but the initial act and reaction for a moment is 'that's annoying, I'd like to throttle this person'.
Does conditioning your perception ever become autonomous? If so, is it a result of constant conscious decisions when reacting to situations? Or is it a constant case on just reflecting on things and choosing appropriately. 'I will never fail' vs 'I may fail, but I'll keep trying to succeed until I do'
I tie parallels in to Entrepreneurship to this process of state of mind; To come out of the other side successful, I often wonder if it is a case of training yourself to respond a certain way to situations and tendencies, or training yourself not to have doubts in the first place. 'I can't fail' instead of 'if I fail, I'll start again', and how does that translate into how you go about things?
I suppose there's not a right or wrong answer, but motivation and mindset is something I've always found fascinating, so interested to see how different people see their own mindset especially with regards to embarking on a new opportunity and what level they see their ability to control it at..
So, something I've been thinking about lately after reflecting on places I've been in the past, things I think about daily and what I see in others and after having a conversation with a person I met who has achieved a million dollar income who asserts that 'the first step to failure is to ever admit it is possible',
Mindset and Change
Can you really change the underlying tendencies of the mind; or can you just change how you handle your mind's thought process? Does changing how you view things alter how you deal with them, or does how you deal with them alter how you view them? Chicken or Egg? I often hear ''successful people believe they will never fail'' and wonder how true is it really?
Personally, I've had a bout of depression when younger, around 18-22 or so for a variety of reasons. In the early years I didn't really appreciate there was a problem; you don't realise that going home and not talking to anyone or shutting yourself away staring at the ceiling for days on end isn't normal because there's no conscious thought behind it. Which I think was a good thing in the long run as the answer often seems to be 'take some pills, life ain't so bad, kid'. It taught me how to deal with hardship and coming out of it taught me that perseverance is key to success because the choice was come out of it or 'let' it consume me (This is not suggesting that it's a case of shake yourself off, and can appreciate everybody is different in regards to how far uphill they have to travel to get to that point). I'd have days where getting out of bed to use the toilet was a struggle to the point that I'd put off going for a pee for hours if possible which couldn't be more of a polar opposite from how I am now.
So motivating myself to adjusting my mindset, doing one thing a day that I couldn't the day before constantly, one baby step a day and eventually making a move, new job, country etc on the other side of the world from friends and family etc was an accomplishment that I'll forever be proud of and grateful for.
So my question is this. For me, the key was changing my reaction, which broadened my perspective on things and shaking the defeatest within, fear of failure. 'I'm trapped', 'what if I don't meet anyone over there?' 'what if I don't get a job?' etc to 'we'll see how it goes'. Changing 'I can't do this' to 'But I have to, so push through' or 'I'll keep trying until I can' and eventually I did. But it didn't solve the underlying thought process ie the worst case scenario popping into my mind and having to work around it. Even now, if someone does something that I find irritating, I'll choose not to dwell on it or let it ruin my day, or even register on my radar, but the initial act and reaction for a moment is 'that's annoying, I'd like to throttle this person'.
Does conditioning your perception ever become autonomous? If so, is it a result of constant conscious decisions when reacting to situations? Or is it a constant case on just reflecting on things and choosing appropriately. 'I will never fail' vs 'I may fail, but I'll keep trying to succeed until I do'
I tie parallels in to Entrepreneurship to this process of state of mind; To come out of the other side successful, I often wonder if it is a case of training yourself to respond a certain way to situations and tendencies, or training yourself not to have doubts in the first place. 'I can't fail' instead of 'if I fail, I'll start again', and how does that translate into how you go about things?
I suppose there's not a right or wrong answer, but motivation and mindset is something I've always found fascinating, so interested to see how different people see their own mindset especially with regards to embarking on a new opportunity and what level they see their ability to control it at..
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
