Hello,
I'm relatively new to the forum, but have been a lurker for a while.
I graduate from college in May (computer science, math) and have decided that I want to work for a fastlaner's startup to learn as much as I can before diving into my own business. (The fastlaner has been successful with several other companies; this company is his latest business move). The tech startup gives me the chance at awesome learning of both business and tech skills. I have a great relationship with the fastlaner (worked for him 2 years ago and we hit it off)
He offered me a job with 60k base salary. I'm psyched to work with him; I like the offer and would accept it, but I am deciding whether it makes sense to ask for the possibility of equity and 65k. I don't have any idea what others in the company make and can't get access to this info. I would mainly negotiate because I want the experience of negotiation and don't want to come across as a pushover, not because I need the money.
Keeping in mind that I want to be a fastlaner (I am not using this as a stepping stone into a career), does it make sense to negotiate? I really appreciate any responses.
I'm relatively new to the forum, but have been a lurker for a while.
I graduate from college in May (computer science, math) and have decided that I want to work for a fastlaner's startup to learn as much as I can before diving into my own business. (The fastlaner has been successful with several other companies; this company is his latest business move). The tech startup gives me the chance at awesome learning of both business and tech skills. I have a great relationship with the fastlaner (worked for him 2 years ago and we hit it off)
He offered me a job with 60k base salary. I'm psyched to work with him; I like the offer and would accept it, but I am deciding whether it makes sense to ask for the possibility of equity and 65k. I don't have any idea what others in the company make and can't get access to this info. I would mainly negotiate because I want the experience of negotiation and don't want to come across as a pushover, not because I need the money.
Keeping in mind that I want to be a fastlaner (I am not using this as a stepping stone into a career), does it make sense to negotiate? I really appreciate any responses.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
