• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Member of a country club?

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by triple J, Dec 10, 2007.

1. triple J

triple J New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $41
    I was just wondering if anyone here was a member of a country club and if so, why they joined? Did you join to use it as a way to leverage meeting more people with money and/or possibly meet more like minded people? Or did you join because you could? Has it at all helped you achieve fastlane?

My husband I were recently asked to join a club where 3 members have to sponsor you before you could join. It's not very expensive but very clickish. We decided that cost vs. benefit of joining didn't fit in with our plan at this point in time. It's doubtful that we would ever join one but who knows.

2. Hoop

Hoop New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $35
    My personal experience is that the GCC is "slowlane". Yes, you can make new connections with people who are usually "successful" and in control of their time, but there are less expensive ways to accomplish the same introductions.

Although difficult to enforce, the club probably has a "no business, no cell phone" rule on the course...as the new couple, you'll probably be self-conscious about not rocking the boat.

In other words, join to golf, play tennis, swim, and be social AND if you happen to make business connections, awesome. Do not join to make biz connections and just happen to golf, swim,etc. Just a POV.

As for why we joined, my kids wanted to learn to golf and the club has a great junior program.

3. Jason_MI

Jason_MI New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $50
    A 'country' club here is where you take a 6-pack over to Bob, the guy who farms 18000 acres and ask him whether you should invest in soybeans or corn this year.

4. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $388,133
    Admin Post
    The closest thing to a "Country Club" that I am in are the various exotic car forums -- I've meet countless successful people thru those venues -- business owners, franchise owners, authors, entrepreneurs, CEOs and more.

I haven't quite learned how to golf and I suck at tennis so the cost of CC doesn't seem to be justified w/exception to the networking opportunities -- these could probably be priceless. I would think there are better, less expensive venues to network.

5. hakrjak

hakrjak Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $162
    I was thinking about joining my local country club awhile back also, for similar reasons. It's difficult to meet young successful people -- because they aren't always very social. You don't run into many at the bars and clubs downtown on the weekends -- and I find that most often they are sitting home, or working 20 hours a day on their next big "deal". My girlfriend and I are always trying to make new friends and expand our social circle, but we want to make sure we're hanging out with quality people who have similar life goals to ours. People who think beyond friday night ;) haha

The one thing stopping us from joining the local CC is cost. Ours is $35k up front + $300 a month in dues, which I just can't justify right now. Maybe after a couple more flips ;)

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.