The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Member of a country club?

triple J

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Aug 8, 2007
Utica, NY
I was just wondering if anyone here was a member of a country club and if so, why they joined? Did you join to use it as a way to leverage meeting more people with money and/or possibly meet more like minded people? Or did you join because you could? Has it at all helped you achieve fastlane?

My husband I were recently asked to join a club where 3 members have to sponsor you before you could join. It's not very expensive but very clickish. We decided that cost vs. benefit of joining didn't fit in with our plan at this point in time. It's doubtful that we would ever join one but who knows.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hoop

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Dec 8, 2007
My personal experience is that the GCC is "slowlane". Yes, you can make new connections with people who are usually "successful" and in control of their time, but there are less expensive ways to accomplish the same introductions.

Although difficult to enforce, the club probably has a "no business, no cell phone" rule on the course...as the new couple, you'll probably be self-conscious about not rocking the boat.

In other words, join to golf, play tennis, swim, and be social AND if you happen to make business connections, awesome. Do not join to make biz connections and just happen to golf, swim,etc. Just a POV.

As for why we joined, my kids wanted to learn to golf and the club has a great junior program.

Jason_MI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 25, 2007
A 'country' club here is where you take a 6-pack over to Bob, the guy who farms 18000 acres and ask him whether you should invest in soybeans or corn this year.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The closest thing to a "Country Club" that I am in are the various exotic car forums -- I've meet countless successful people thru those venues -- business owners, franchise owners, authors, entrepreneurs, CEOs and more.

I haven't quite learned how to golf and I suck at tennis so the cost of CC doesn't seem to be justified w/exception to the networking opportunities -- these could probably be priceless. I would think there are better, less expensive venues to network.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I was thinking about joining my local country club awhile back also, for similar reasons. It's difficult to meet young successful people -- because they aren't always very social. You don't run into many at the bars and clubs downtown on the weekends -- and I find that most often they are sitting home, or working 20 hours a day on their next big "deal". My girlfriend and I are always trying to make new friends and expand our social circle, but we want to make sure we're hanging out with quality people who have similar life goals to ours. People who think beyond friday night ;) haha

The one thing stopping us from joining the local CC is cost. Ours is $35k up front + $300 a month in dues, which I just can't justify right now. Maybe after a couple more flips ;)

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.