The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[MEGA THREAD] How To Build A Successful E-commerce Brand During A Global Pandemic. Step By Step Guide...

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
You can test ideas on Amazon by using FBM (ship it yourself) since I think FBA (Amazon's warehouse) is very risky.

If it sells - my advice is to move over to your own store before Bezos launches his brand of dog collars. Remember, he's got your customer data which you'll never have access to.

Amazon already has their own brand. It's just a dog collar, no branding. I'll be going directly against Amazon's brand. That was the whole point of this business. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Amazon already has their own brand. It's just a dog collar, no branding. I'll be going directly against Amazon's brand. That was the whole point of this business. :)

Great!

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
As someone with a niche novelty-ish unique product idea, I’ll be following along.

Only difference is mine has to be designed and manufactured.

What’s your timeline looking like from idea to first sale?

Under normal circumstances, it would be no longer than a month since we are paid advertising masters but these aren't normal circumstances and things are taking 10 x times longer.

Panda__

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
May 18, 2020
New York, NY
Update #1 - Still waiting on the theme to be built. We're about 50% done and I'm waiting on the product photoshoot. C0VlD-19 is delaying things.

The product image is your shop window. Don't cut corners and grab shitty pics off Aliexpress. Take the time to do it properly and build that bulletproof brand (your competition won't be able to touch you).

Order a sample piece and send it to a photographer. You can find photography services on Upwork, Freelancer, or Fiverr.

If you're really stuck - use Craigslist. We use Craigslist because broke-a$$ college kids never turn down the money and they do a great job.

Tip: If your supplier is in Denver - find a photographer in Denver. The product will get shipped much faster.

Ask the photographer to take 2 types of photos: 'lifestyle' and lightbox. Lifestyle photos are aspirational - you're not selling a watch. You're selling who that person becomes by wearing your watch.

I am looking forward to following along. Thank you for documenting the process. I watched the video you did on finding products. You mention that you are still waiting on the theme to be built. Is your theme custom made? Could we go with Shopify's theme catalog and choose a free one or one of their paid versions? Does the theme have a lot to do with conversions?

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
I am looking forward to following along. Thank you for documenting the process. I watched the video you did on finding products. You mention that you are still waiting on the theme to be built. Is your theme custom made? Could we go with Shopify's theme catalog and choose a free one or one of their paid versions? Does the theme have a lot to do with conversions?

Your theme is your shop floor: the easier it is to checkout, the better your business will do.

We are using a custom theme since we're pros but you can start with Retina or Parallax. They're not bad and they're free.

Panda__

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
May 18, 2020
New York, NY
Your theme is your shop floor: the easier it is to checkout, the better your business will do.

We are using a custom theme since we're pros but you can start with Retina or Parallax. They're not bad and they're free.

Thank you. Looks like Shopify has Parallax and Retina now as paid themes. I'll go with Parallax and look to make the checkout easy for the customers.

I am going with an evergreen product in the beauty sector.

Nick.YoungTX

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jun 26, 2016
Texas, USA
Lifestyle photos are aspirational - you're not selling a watch. You're selling who that person becomes by wearing your watch.

If fully understood and executed properly, this concept can make you a lot of money.
This was a great reminder for me to step my game up in this regard. It’s too easy to snap a selfie with your product, when it can be more lucrative to snap a shot outside in “real life”, and with different models.
Sanj, thanks for this thread, I’ll be following it closely as we have an online store (via Shopify as well) and have been pushing it hard the last 2 years. I’m looking forward to bouncing ideas and following along!

Nick.YoungTX

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jun 26, 2016
Texas, USA
We’ve had great success with our Shopify store using the Shoptimized theme. It’s dialed in to convert, although, I wouldn’t recommend turning on all the goodies it offers. Pick and choose what your audience would find helpful, while not being obnoxious. LOL (ex: deal of the day pop ups, cart expiring soon prompts, free shipping threshold pop-ups, count down timers, etc. ). I hope this helps someone!

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
We’ve had great success with our Shopify store using the Shoptimized theme. It’s dialed in to convert, although, I wouldn’t recommend turning on all the goodies it offers. Pick and choose what your audience would find helpful, while not being obnoxious. LOL (ex: deal of the day pop ups, cart expiring soon prompts, free shipping threshold pop-ups, count down timers, etc. ). I hope this helps someone!

I do use Shoptimized but I don't like the spammy/dropship element to it like the fake timer, stock levels etc so we took all that out. I like it for the page speed only.

Last edited:

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Thank you. Looks like Shopify has Parallax and Retina now as paid themes. I'll go with Parallax and look to make the checkout easy for the customers.

I am going with an evergreen product in the beauty sector.

Ah OK, it was free when I started using Shopify about 5 years ago.

The point is to keep it simple. Ready, fire, aim.

D

Deleted58089

Awesome thread! Looking forward to your updates.

I was wondering, if you are launching your brand with a single product?

Also, have you calculated an estimate, of how much it will cost you, till you list your product for sale?
Or to put it otherwise, what's the minimum capital that you would feel comfortable with, to launch a new brand the way you do.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Great thread. For me as not native English speaker the video is a bit hard to understand. But thanks for producing.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Great thread. For me as not native English speaker the video is a bit hard to understand. But thanks for producing.

Just follow what I'm doing and you'll nail it too.

Panda__

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
May 18, 2020
New York, NY

Thank you for this resource. I will check it out today. At quick glance looks like a great converting theme and robust. I will definitely watch some tutorials.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
How are you going to market the site? Facebook ads?

FB, IG, Google, YouTube, Pinterest, Snap, TikTok ads but not all at the same time.

We'll launch FB/IG and Google ads first and I'll show you how to do it.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Thank you for this resource. I will check it out today. At quick glance looks like a great converting theme and robust. I will definitely watch some tutorials.

Be careful - Shoptimized has been spammed to death by all the dropship bros.

Plus, fake timers and stock levels violate several laws.

pumpking