The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Me and my girlfriend believe we just found a really good idea!

Idea threads

Jonetegle

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 9, 2021
There are a lot of apps out there focusing on fitness and health, but we haven't found an app that have everything in one. Personally we use three different apps; one for tracking weight, one for tracking food intake, and one for tracking the workout.
We believe that there should be an app that has the good aspects of all of these apps, bundeled into a fitness super-app!

We have started brainstorming together, researching and figuring out what people like about these apps and what they dislike. This really seems like something that has big potential in my opinion, but would love to hear from the fastlaners.

I am a 22-year old fastlane student from Norway, currently working as an electrician of sorts.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Maybe some tips on what road to take or if this even sounds like a good idea?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Seems odd that there is no such thing. Are you sure that no apps deal with the 3 things that entail fitness??

Jonetegle

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 9, 2021
Seems odd that there is no such thing. Are you sure that no apps deal with the 3 things that entail fitness.
Really appreciate the respond MJ!

Me and my girlfriend has been working out for many years, but we have yet to find what i would call a super-app. An app that has everything in one.
The most downloaded fitness app seems to be MyFitnessPal, which we are advent users of. This app is mostly used for tracking calorie intake and also incorporates other features related to nutrition. But this app does not seem to have a section involving tracking your workout.

We have also used another app called Strength, which we use for tracking our workout. This app is honestly really good, and has been getting alot of good feedback from the community.

My idea would be to incorporate all the good features from all of these good apps, and develop an all in one solution to the problem. In my opinion i would love to have a single app, instead of multiple.

Thanks!

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Even if there is an all in one app, it is obviously poorly marketed.

I use MyFitnessPal and just recreating that functionality seems like a rather large undertaking...

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO

I use MyFitnessPal and just recreating that functionality seems like a rather large undertaking...
This. I think having a single app that takes on exercise/nutrition/recovery/tracking/etc, Is going to be one hell of a doozy to create. It may be nice as an all-in-1 package but I suspect your nutrition product may never be good as myfitnesspals for example since you cannot solely invest in it as they do.

I personally don't mind not having them in different places but I do think there is room for better products when it comes to recovery & tracking purposes. None of the apps currently out there have quite scratched my itch.

Jonetegle

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 9, 2021

Do you see this as an unrealistic goal, say competing with MyFitnessPal? There is still a lot stuff that can be improved om their app in my opinion.
I feel like there still is a market that can be attracted to this idea though.

I am really new at this, just brainstorming ideas and felt like this might be a good one.

Jonetegle

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 9, 2021
This. I think having a single app that takes on exercise/nutrition/recovery/tracking/etc, Is going to be one hell of a doozy to create. It may be nice as an all-in-1 package but I suspect your nutrition product may never be good as myfitnesspals for example since you cannot solely invest in it as they do.

I personally don't mind not having them in different places but I do think there is room for better products when it comes to recovery & tracking purposes. None of the apps currently out there have quite scratched my itch.
Would it maybe be better to just focus on one area of fitness at first, and then expand and incorporate more functions as time goes on?

If so, what would be the best area to attack maybe? Attacking food tracking might be a stretch, since MyFitnessPal is a giant business, so maybe workout tracking would be a better approach?

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Do you see this as an unrealistic goal, say competing with MyFitnessPal? There is still a lot stuff that can be improved om their app in my opinion
It's not for me to say. I don't know you, your capabilities, or desire to make your dream come true. I would rather cheer you on than rain on your parade.

But I think you asking yourself if this is unrealistic is an important question to be asked.

As you said, you see things that can be improved on. If you can bring that to reality, who am I to say you can't?

Good luck.

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
Do you see this as an unrealistic goal, say competing with MyFitnessPal? There is still a lot stuff that can be improved om their app in my opinion.
I feel like there still is a market that can be attracted to this idea though.

I am really new at this, just brainstorming ideas and felt like this might be a good one.

Would it maybe be better to just focus on one area of fitness at first, and then expand and incorporate more functions as time goes on?

If so, what would be the best area to attack maybe? Attacking food tracking might be a stretch, since MyFitnessPal is a giant business, so maybe workout tracking would be a better approach?

Well, it depends on what you are trying to be... If the answer to that is the #1 app in a certain area, then yes I think it is unrealistic to do 5 different things at once and still be the best in any of those things.

If you are looking for direction then tbh I don't really know. If it were me & I'd probably test the waters out and let the market decide where I should go. You could, for example, set up a few landing pages and see which generates the most interest.

If you wanted to take on myfitnesspal then I'd probably start by trying to attract a certain niche of customer. MFP is all-purpose but maybe you can build a nutrition app for vegans, bodybuilders,etc.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Feelings. Gonna waste 6 months, 1 year, 2 years or more.... on a "feeling". Yikes.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
I use My Fitness Pal and I hate it. I've never liked it but haven't found an alternative. I recently found a new personal trainer and she told me that she hates MFP as well and said I would be better to just write down my food in a notebook than track it in an app.... This is a major undertaking as many people have said but there is a huge potential if you can create something that is easy to use, intutive, accurate, and more importantly respected & endorsed in the fitness community.
For workout tracking, I just use a simple google spreadsheet that is a shortcut on my main screen of my phone. Easy peasy and no fees involved.
Good luck

TinyTim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 1, 2016
The World
The idea will be nothing new. This is one of the biggest markets in the world.

I'm in fitness myself, but prefer to use two apps that are the best at what they do, however, I would be very very surprised if this app didn't already exist. Every fitness influencer has their own app these days.

As the idea isn't revolutionary, you will have to execute a LOT better than the competition. Only you will know if you can do this.

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
Feelings. Gonna waste 6 months, 1 year, 2 years or more.... on a "feeling". Yikes.
It's not like this is a BAD idea. It's clearly not cuz plenty of other people doing it well & the fitness app market is massive with more space to expand imo. Whether or not OP can get it to work is another story. But regardless it's better to take a swing than spend 6 months thinking of a better idea.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
I use a paid subscription for Strava.
As someone who races, I can call myself an amateur athlete. The app doesn’t track any nutritional info. It’s not good at the gym stuff. But it’s amazing for swim/bike/run because of its community. We support one another, push each other, complete against each other and love every moment of it.

If you are creating a new app, it’s likely not the features that will help you succeed. These days I feel it’s a lot more about community and interaction. After all, we are moving to the Web3.0

Good luck and hope this helps.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
Here's the issue: Out of the people that work out, how many track workouts in an app? Out of this percentage, what percentage also track what they eat in an app? Out of this percentage of a percentage, what percentage also track their weight in an app? Out of this percentage of a percentage of a percentage, what percentage currently lack a solution to the problem and would be interested in paying for your new solution? I do not think this will justify the work required.

TinyTim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 1, 2016
The World
Here's the issue: Out of the people that work out, how many track workouts in an app? Out of this percentage, what percentage also track what they eat in an app? Out of this percentage of a percentage, what percentage also track their weight in an app? Out of this percentage of a percentage of a percentage, what percentage currently lack a solution to the problem and would be interested in paying for your new solution? I do not think this will justify the work required.
The people who track workouts in an app are the same people who track their calorie consumption in an app. This speaks for millions and millions of people, but yes, I don't believe many of them are lacking a solution.

tradista

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 8, 2021
Just my 2 cts, I think the tracking functionality per se, as is, is already a crowded place with many choices over many apps, even apps from the PTs and coaches themselves, but maybe there's something to be created on collateral areas such as, for instance, helping and providing guidance when people "derail" from their regular plans, i.e. stats and recovery from when a training session is skipped, or when a cheat meal has happened, maybe some app may be able to predict how far out the goal is now from the original, something around those lines... I mean, I know I'd love to know the impact on my progress when I decided to eat that doughnut :)
Regardless, wish you success.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.