The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Maybe "failure" is the key to success...?

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I was writing a practice prompt for the SATs a few weeks ago, and I was intrigued by the topic for the prompt. The introduction and question were this:
Directions: Think carefully about the issue presented in the following paragraph and respond to the assignment below. You have 25 minutes.
Sometimes in life, we lose.

Abraham Lincoln lost numerous congressional elections before he went on to become President of the United States. Henry Ford went bankrupt and lost his ownership in The Detroit Automobile Company before ultimately succeeding with the Ford Motor Company. Michael Jordan’s basketball teams endured many heartbreaking playoff losses before becoming World Champions six times over.

Maybe losing in the secret ingredient to success?

I thought it was a very interesting topic, and I considered starting a thread on it here at TFTM, but I never did because I thought it had been mentioned before. After reading Jorge's post in which he mentions learning from failure, I figured that I should post this: my response to the SAT prompt. I only had 25 minutes to write it, so forgive any errors that may be in it as I just kinda threw it together.

I think this is a point that should be reiterated over and over, so hopefully this thread helps in doing so. Also, I thought that it deserved its own thread like the other key points Jorge mentioned. Anyway, here are my thoughts:
In many instances, the key to success revolves around failure. Often, successful businessmen, athletes, and other professionals have undergone a period of “failure”. However, to them, this was not a failure; it was a learning experience.

Failure usually precedes success. For one to succeed, they must know of the struggles of failing. Many times, failure provides motivation for one to succeed. Motivation is derived from two sources: inside one's mind and from desperation. Failure often creates a sense of desperation for a person, which provides them with the necessary motivation to succeed. When Michael Jordan was cut from his varsity basketball team in high school, he did not view it as a failure like many would have. Instead, he learned from the mistakes he had made and used it as motivation to become the greatest basketball player of all-time. Failure helps inspire one to succeed; in that sense, failure is an essential factor to success.

Additionally, when one “fails”, it is usually in a manner that can be taken it two directions. If one takes it negatively, as most people would, they will likely lose all hope and give up. However, if the failure is accepted as a learning experience, the one who is failing will be better off. They will use it to drive their success and become better for it. As the classic proverb states, “what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.” If this lesson is applied to failure, then “failing” occasionally is actually a good thing. Failure itself is not a problem; the impact of failure is determined by how the person who fails reacts to the situation.

In summation, when failure occurs at the right time or to the right person, it is not a problem. In fact, many success stories have been built by failure at some point during the journey. For one to succeed, they are better off having experienced the worst of things; this way, they will yearn for the best and accept nothing less than that.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Great response Yanks! rep+++ (this is becoming routine!)

Personally I would add choices. This people took failure as learning, I think that's a choice, and a really good one!

PS: I'm linking this thread from mine
EDIT: You already did :p

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Great response Yanks! rep+++ (this is becoming routine!)

Personally I would add choices. This people took failure as learning, I think that's a choice, and a really good one!

PS: I'm linking this thread from mine
EDIT: You already did :p
Thanks! And yes, it is becoming routine! haha

I'm linking my post to yours as well; I thought I did before, but apparently it slipped my mind.

australianinvestor

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 4, 2007
Australia
A great read on a related topic is Seth Godin's "The Dip". It's about the point where things become hard, and most give up. It's about making sure that continuing is the right course of action, and then pushing through "the dip" to get the rewards that all the quitters left behind.

Funnily enough, it's also about quitting strategically. Failing/quitting on purpose when there's a more productive thing you should be doing.

:)

Daniel.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.