The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Marketing and business model for a python desktop app

Idea threads

pythondev

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 25, 2022
Hi,

I am new to this forum and seeking advice for an app I wrote. The app is a visualization software I have developed over a few years for deep learning. It's written in Python an directly runs on desktop machines. It was about 1-2 months of full time implementation work and it's after all a very basic tool that fills a gap and everyone in the field may need it. I imagine that when I publish it as open source and on some internet channels it may find many users quickly.

My idea is to publish it on GitHub as open source, free for personal and academic use. For companies I am thinking of charging 2.99 per user per month (no idea if this is any reasonable number).

I am wondering if anyone has advice on if this is a good model or what are better models. Specifically I am wondering about: Since it's python code, commercial users can easily hack it and deactivate the license check. They could also just specify they are from "academia" and use it for free...

Any ideas are very welcome.

Best,

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022
Hi,

I am new to this forum and seeking advice for an app I wrote. The app is a visualization software I have developed over a few years for deep learning. It's written in Python an directly runs on desktop machines. It was about 1-2 months of full time implementation work and it's after all a very basic tool that fills a gap and everyone in the field may need it. I imagine that when I publish it as open source and on some internet channels it may find many users quickly.

My idea is to publish it on GitHub as open source, free for personal and academic use. For companies I am thinking of charging 2.99 per user per month (no idea if this is any reasonable number).

I am wondering if anyone has advice on if this is a good model or what are better models. Specifically I am wondering about: Since it's python code, commercial users can easily hack it and deactivate the license check. They could also just specify they are from "academia" and use it for free...

Any ideas are very welcome.

Best,

Yes that is true about the licensing. For industry users what other value skews could you offer other than just a license? Ex: support services, implementations, etc.

You could also just make your program an API then require commercial users to pay for certain types of API calls.

Ghost is an example of an opensource software that has a Pro (commercial payment plan). There are many others as well.

I'm in the datascience / AI / ML space and this is interesting.

pythondev

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 25, 2022
Yes that is true about the licensing. For industry users what other value skews could you offer other than just a license? Ex: support services, implementations, etc.

You could also just make your program an API then require commercial users to pay for certain types of API calls.

Ghost is an example of an opensource software that has a Pro (commercial payment plan). There are many others as well.

I'm in the datascience / AI / ML space and this is interesting.
Thanks for your reply, yes I'm thinking of making a split between a free and a pay version with more features.

Overall the goal is not to make much money. I imagine that if I publish the software free many people would use it. The question is how to keep the option that businesses pay...

What are you doing?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.