The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Male mental health question: TW for attempted suicide

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
405%
Apr 16, 2019
I took on the housework and cooking, and I'm the only one working while he goes through all of this. Even when he's mean to me or loses his temper, I don't take it personally because I've been there before and it is a terrifying thing to not be able to control overhwelming emotions and racing thoughts.

You can actually encourage him to help you. People that feel helpless can become suddenly motivated when they see that they're needed. Ask him to help you with little chores. And then reward him for stepping up to your calls for action. Thank him and congratulate him for having courage. Say these things to him in the present tense. Allow his mind to adopt a mindset that he IS worthy, that he IS needed, and that he has a role to play in all of this.

It can also help to learn from other people's story. Find stories of other people that were once down but managed to overcome their weaknesses. Show him that there IS a path towards recovery, that there are people that had far worse situations and managed to come out on top. This too, should give him further courage to keep fighting.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
As much as I would like to tell you how dumb you are, I won't because I was you at 24. Once you bake a little longer and realize you aren't as smart or wise as you THINK you are, your tune will change.

I work in mental health. It is far too simplified to say that someone chose this. Its a condition. And someone can choose to improve the condition, but they have to get to the point where they make that choice. This person does indeed probably need a lot of support right now. Support does not include someone barking at them and telling them that they are choosing their current condition. You actually can say the wrong things and push someone who is feeling hopeless over the edge and BOOM.....another statistic.

You said your life is awesome. Let me tell you something......it takes one instant for ALL that to change.
cool

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
There is an ayurvedic medicine remedy for depression: Eat a really big and nutritious meal (mostly vegetables), then go and sleep a lot. Usually people feel somewhat better in the morning.
I'm not kidding, hunger (actually not enough nutrients) can really make you feel sad, pessimistic, etc.

The body is a wonderful machine that can heal itself if it's allowed to.

Though if he is drowning his misery in coca cola, doritos or worst drugs all day, it will keep him down.

Also, like people said here, making him connect with the things that bring him happiness is very important.

This channels can give you many ideas in order to improve his condition just with food: (or in this case, even without food for periods of time)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEfMmaq66q0

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
My(21F) boyfriend (21M) was admitted into a psychiatric hospital this morning.

Two weeks ago, he tried to commit suicide and I had to hold him down to stop him from hurting himself. He ended up hurting me during the struggle, and he still feels ashamed and guilty.

This all started when his doctor told him to get off of his antidepressants, and he just spiraled down into rock bottom.

Ever since his attempted suicide, it feels like he's just had one crisis after another. I've had to take off of work to be on suicide watch, even though we need the money. He's kept me up till 2 AM on work nights. On my second day back at work, he called me and told me that he hurt himself. I rushed home to find him buried in blankets, crying bc he had smashed his fists against his thighs until there were bruises.

In the middle of all of this, our anniversary came and passed. Neither of us celebrated or even acknowledged it because of his depression and suicide attempt.

I love him so much. My heart hurts for him and I hate that I'm powerless to help him. I'm mentally exhausted and just burnt out from everything. Getting him admitted into a facility seemed like our only option while he's off medication. I've been encouraging him every day with words of affirmation and so many hugs. I took on the housework and cooking, and I'm the only one working while he goes through all of this. Even when he's mean to me or loses his temper, I don't take it personally because I've been there before and it is a terrifying thing to not be able to control overwhelming emotions and racing thoughts.

My question is, have any of you gone through this before? If so, what would you have liked for people to do to help you? <sneaky link removed by mod> Was there anything in particular that made you feel better? What kinds of things did you want to be told? I want to be there and support my boyfriend as best I can, but I have no idea what to say or do to make him feel more comfortable and safe when he's checked out from the facility.

Extra info:

We live together. We've been together for 2 years. He wasn't like this before he was taken off of medication. He also has an anxiety disorder.
You did the right thing. You got him into treatment in a safe place. Now take care of yourself. It's the best way that you can help him. You too must survive this moment.

This is not your fault. There's some underlying reason for his situation and his unreasonable need to hurt himself. Most of the time, it's triggered by feelings of being hopeless or overwhelmed. It sounds like it started way before your relationship.

Last edited by a moderator:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Stopped reading like 10% through. Leave anyone who is f*cked up enough to hurt themselves.

I'm not "Captain save-a-hoe". Thats my motto. I don't date headaches. I don't hire headaches. I don't befriend headaches. My life is awesome. All the headache people are in some other place giving other people headaches. Not me. I have a cheerful girlfriend. Cheerful customers. Cheerful employees. Cheerful friends. I love myself and don't want my life to suck.

Give that dude a Chinese name: Long Gon

You probably won't listen, and you'll continue to have a shit ton of problems. Oh well. Pat yourself on the back for being supportive I guess.
You sound like you are engineering your life and it's working for you so far. You have the confidence of youth coupled with your recent success record. Sometimes that type of control plan works, and sometimes it totally fails. I know from personal experience. I too have tried to limit my exposure to negative people and all of their BS -- but, they sometimes slip through my safety net -- landing right on my doorstep. Also, life has caught up with me a few times over years -- no matter how hard I worked and I tried to control everything. Big-time, hard-knock situations have happened to me when I least expected. Maybe you'll find that magic formula that has alluded me.

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
I'm not "Captain save-a-hoe". Thats my motto. I don't date headaches. I don't hire headaches. I don't befriend headaches. My life is awesome. All the headache people are in some other place giving other people headaches. Not me. I have a cheerful girlfriend. Cheerful customers. Cheerful employees. Cheerful friends. I love myself and don't want my life to suck.
Great, now what are you going to do if a person with a headache attacks you at the street for no particular reason? I experienced such a situation last week. I am accountable for protecting myself which I successfully did. I also plan to learn how to shoot. However, I am not accountable for educating every stupid person. I don't want my life to suck as well but awesome lives can end abruptly. Mine didn't end so far.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Great, now what are you going to do if a person with a headache attacks you at the street for no particular reason? I experienced such a situation last week. I am accountable for protecting myself which I successfully did. I also plan to learn how to shoot. However, I am not accountable for educating every stupid person. I don't want my life to suck as well but awesome lives can end abruptly. Mine didn't end so far.
Glad you survived the attack. There are crazy people out there. That's why my 80 lbs service dog is usually at my side. Most people take one look at her and decide to bother someone else.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
You can actually encourage him to help you. People that feel helpless can become suddenly motivated when they see that they're needed. Ask him to help you with little chores. And then reward him for stepping up to your calls for action. Thank him and congratulate him for having courage. Say these things to him in the present tense. Allow his mind to adopt a mindset that he IS worthy, that he IS needed, and that he has a role to play in all of this.

It can also help to learn from other people's story. Find stories of other people that were once down but managed to overcome their weaknesses. Show him that there IS a path towards recovery, that there are people that had far worse situations and managed to come out on top. This too, should give him further courage to keep fighting.

He lives on a different planet. He has cheerful people all around him who never have bad days, never cry, never make mistakes, never do anything but just smile while they work. Kind of sounds animated or robotic. I've never met anyone who was cheerful 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and never had one negative thought, negative emotion, or negative experience. Never witnessed a business that was cheerful every day, that didn't have schedules mixed up, customer complaints, conflict with employees, late shipments, or other delays here and there.

As the Fonz stated on Happy Days! "Cool!" Thumbs up in the air. He had a black book at least with all the girls phone numbers in it.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Mention anything about the concepts of responsibility and choices to someone regarding depression, addiction, or any other self inflicted personal problems and watch most people lose their minds.

Impossible to help someone who already knows the right answer but is in denial of it.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
Mention anything about the concepts of responsibility and choices to someone regarding depression, addiction, or any other self inflicted personal problems and watch most people lose their minds.

Impossible to help someone who already knows the right answer but is in denial of it.
That’s not what you did, Mr. “I’m not a Captain save a Ho!”
You know full well what kind of a$$ wipe comments you’ve put here.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
What Johnny perpetuates is the Law 10- Infection: (Avoid the unhappy and unlucky) of the 48 Laws of Power.
And I totally agree with this, since negative people have influence over you, the same as positive people have influence over you. Which would you rather have?
1000%

Life changing advice. People with high self esteem follow it and people who don't, love to surround themselves with people who bring everything down. Makes it impossible to succeed, be happy, have peace.

In the meantime, bring on the ad hominems lol.

For all of you here who have a successful business and a great lifestyle, I guarantee you follow this law. You don't let 'headache' people into your life and you know it. You can dance around it with euphemisms but it's true.

That’s not what you did, Mr. “I’m not a Captain save a Ho!”
You know full well what kind of a$$ wipe comments you’ve put here.

You can have a problem with my tone but the meat of the argument is true, this chick has been supportive, it's time to let the man solve his own problems before he permanently infects her life beyond repair.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Not dating, hiring or befriending headaches is one thing, and leaving someone because they run into a problem (and hence become a headache), whether mental or physical quite another. The latter is known as betrayal, and it’s not cool. In fact, look at how such betrayal has been punished historically and you’ll see it’s not nice. I would resent a “friend” or “lover” who does not stick by me through thick and thin.

Of course, you may feel that such betrayal is cool… in that case, not a problem, except that the rest of us may also feel the need to keep you at distance and isolate you.
I promise that if I have to hold you down to prevent you from hurting yourself and you are admitted to a psychiatric hospital we probably won't talk much after that. I would not expect anything different if the situation was reversed.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

There is some truth to this, but it often isn't as black and white, and the gray areas is where we need to have some empathy.

However, for some folks (the black/white) I believe having "depression" is part of their label and their identity.

For example, I know someone who leans on the crutch, "I'm clinically depressed."

We've tried to help this person but he refuses to change anything. In other words, he claims he wants change, but he doesn't want to change anything about himself.

All he wants to do is take pills.

We suggested going to the gym to workout, you know, to start feeling better about his body and self-image. Even suggested personal, one on one training. He is pudgy and grossly out of shape, bordering on obese. Did he take the advice? Nope.

We suggested staying off social media. This guy has a smartphone buried in his face 24/7. Swipe, swipe swipe. He can't stop looking at his phone. He can't stop getting angry at Instagram posts and other Twitter BS. His phone never leaves his hand. Did he take the advice? Nope.

We suggested a dietary change as this person only eats junk food, highly processed crap loaded with sugar. Every time he opens his mouth, it's garbage in. Fruits and vegetables? Ha Ha, what's that? Did he take the advice to change his diet? Nope.

We suggested a procedural hobby (something with a process), like learning how to play the piano, painting, or skateboarding to build some self confidence. Did they take the advice? Nope.

We suggested 10 minutes of meditation per day. Did they take the advice? Nope.

After several months, we gave up. The only action this person wanted to take were based on external factors and quick fixes. Never once did he really try to look internally at what he could control. It was all about, "Gee, what new doctor can I use? Are there any new pills I can take? If I buy this magnetic headdress, will that cure my depression?"

Bottomline, you can't help anyone who sees the cure as a function of externalizations, quick fixes, and getting the outside world to meet their expectations. To be honest, I don't think the guy wants to be cured, as depression is now part of his identity. It is a core part of his ego now and without it, he probably fears what person might be on the other side.

To be honest, who wouldn't be depressed if what I wrote above described your life? You eat like shit. You don't work out. You engage in no self-improvement activities. You're on social media all day and get triggered at every post. Hell, I'm depressed just thinking about it.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
As we age we find out a lot of life is not absolutes. Some forum members taught me that lesson. Generally people are not all happy or all sad, but an ever changing mixture. Life plays rough and sometimes it hits real hard.

I can only speak from my experience. Men should research, learn, and be aware of what a serotonin crash is. Life can blindside you so hard that even the most insulated, positive person can find themselves at the bottom of an emotional pit and see no way out. Workouts, diet, positivity will only get you so far. Many men resort to violence as a last resort when they get to that point, violence on others or themselves. At my worst I wanted to ram my truck into a tree at full speed. I did not want to die or end anyone's life. I just needed to show how much I was hurting internally. I had to stay home for fear of really hurting someone, the internal rage was real and I had to work hard to contain the beast. Those were dark, difficult days. Whether you admit it or not we all have it in us.

As for as the OP, there is no one size fits all remedy. From the outside, removing the meds is questionable. Getting a full blood work up and physical exam would be needed to find out hormone levels. I am historically not a pill person but I have received help from an antidepressant to put my emotions on hold until I could get my life back together. The pill can help with hormone levels.

The acting out is either a call for help or manipulation or a combination. I don't think you will be able to tell the difference. Professional help and time would be needed to figure out the motivations behind the actions. If you get the loved one the help that is called out for that is the best you can do for them. Not all professionals are a good match to get that help though, you may have to try different sources.

You have to take care of yourself first to take care of him. If he is getting help and sticking with the help then life should improve. However, many will get to feeling better and then abandon the help and go back to the bad days. If he will not stick with the help and do what he needs to get better, there is nothing else you can do. You cannot do it for him and you have to take care of yourself.

Edit: Life is much better here now. Meds, counseling, reading, change of scenery, maintaining healthy lifestyle all helped.

Just my 2 cents. I wish you well.

Last edited:

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
405%
Apr 16, 2019
There is some truth to this, but it often isn't as black and white, and the gray areas is where we need to have some empathy.

However, for some folks (the black/white) I believe having "depression" is part of their label and their identity.

For example, I know someone who leans on the crutch, "I'm clinically depressed."

We've tried to help this person but he refuses to change anything. In other words, he claims he wants change, but he doesn't want to change anything about himself.

We suggested going to the gym to workout, you know, to start feeling better about his body and self-image. Even suggested personal, one on one training. He is pudgy and grossly out of shape, bordering on obese. Did he take the advice? Nope.

We suggested staying off social media. This guy has a smartphone buried in his face 24/7. Swipe, swipe swipe. He can't stop looking at his phone. He can't stop getting angry at Instagram posts and other Twitter BS. His phone never leaves his hand. Did he take the advice? Nope.

We suggested a dietary change as this person only eats junk food, highly processed crap loaded with sugar. Every time he opens his mouth, it's garbage in. Fruits and vegetables? Ha Ha, what's that? Did he take the advice to change his diet? Nope.

We suggested a procedural hobby (something with a process), like learning how to play the piano, painting, or skateboarding to build some self confidence. Did they take the advice? Nope.

After several months, we gave up. The only action this person wanted to take were based on external factors and quick fixes. Never once did he really try to look internally at what he could control. It was all about, "Gee, what new doctor can I use? Are there any new pills I can take? If I buy this magnetic headdress, will that cure my depression?"

Bottomline, you can't help anyone who sees the cure as a function of externalizations, quick fixes, and getting the outside world to meet their expectations. To be honest, I don't think the guy wants to be cured, as depression is now part of his identity. It is a core part of his ego now and without it, he probably fears what person might be on the other side.

To be honest, who wouldn't be depressed if what I wrote above described your life? You eat like shit. You don't work out. You engage in no self-improvement activities. You're on social media all day and get triggered at every post. Hell, I'm depressed just thinking about it.

I've been having this exact battle with a close family member for over 2 years now. I have suggested all of the above, yet he has, as you stated, built his identity around this depression.

I'm available for him if and when he needs me, but I've stopped trying to push him because he is the only person that can help himself. I've stopped being so intense and trying to solve his misery, all I do at this point is root for him and support him from the sidelines.

My partner taught me this important lesson - that you can love, care for and respect a person within your own boundaries. This applies to family, friends, and strangers alike. Your ability to maneuver life without compromising your own well being is critical to your ability to share more kindness and love with others.

1631467850296.png

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I've been having this exact battle with a close family member for over 2 years now. I have suggested all of the above, yet he has, as you stated, built his identity around this depression.

I'm available for him if and when he needs me, but I've stopped trying to push him because he is the only person that can help himself. I've stopped being so intense and trying to solve his misery, all I do at this point is root for him and support him from the sidelines.

My partner taught me this important lesson - that you can love, care for and respect a person within your own boundaries. This applies to family, friends, and strangers alike. Your ability to maneuver life without compromising your own well being is critical to your ability to share more kindness and love with others.

View attachment 39869

I promise that if I have to hold you down to prevent you from hurting yourself and you are admitted to a psychiatric hospital we probably won't talk much after that. I would not expect anything different if the situation was reversed.
What do you do if your best friend who is positive, smiles, successful, and physically fit, acts the part and tomorrow you find out he's gone? No Warning. Face Value just looks like everything is going great? Didn't have a chance to help him at all?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

You are right about the fact that these problems appear to be changeable and controllable. And for you, that appears to be true. I know these situations looks very simple to you and the answers are totally obvious. They are just not your current life challenges. I just think about that old saying, "Pride cometh before a fall." Life has ways to humble us all. It will find ways to challenge you when the time is right.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe

The big problem for the depressed person here is usually precisely this inability to bring themselves to take action. He would like to go to the gym, but somehow he can’t bring himself to do it. He would like to lift those weights, but somehow he just can’t bring himself to do one more rep.

If you listen to a depressed person, you’ll find that they say things like “how do I make myself go to the gym?”. Unlike the rest of us, for them, there isn’t a direct link between wanting something and making it happen.

And then, there is also high functioning depression. Outwardly these people are taking action, they hit the gym, and do everything else right, but they feel like shit doing it. These are the depressives who crash and burn after some time, then they take a break, and once again the cycle begins.

The inability to “push yourself” to take action regardless of how you feel is imo a key component of depression. When you’re depressed, you know you should hit the gym, but the resistance is simply too great. Maybe you even go there, but every rep feels like living hell. It’s only so much that you’ll be able to push before giving up in such conditions (ego depletion).

It’s a really hard thing to pull yourself out of.

And of course you have situational depression - the failed businessman who is obsessed about being wealthy but isn’t and feels that he’ll never make it. If a bunch of cash lands in this guy’s lap, his depression would evaporate. He is just psychologically weak in the face of adversity.

I was depressed when I was 18/19 because of a breakup… i didn’t really do anything to cure it, it just sort of went away in 2-3 years.

So if you told me back when I was depressed that I need to hit the gym, I’d tell you, well, how do I do that? “You put your pants on, head there, and do these exercises” “alright, but every rep feels unbearable and I feel like I don’t have any energy”, “do it anyway”, “fine, but I won’t be able to sustain it for long”….

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
Jesus. Guys, it's a freaking bot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskMenAdvice/comments/pgou1o View: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskMenAdvice/comments/pgou1o/male_mental_health_question_tw_for_attempted/

Was the reddit-speak and unusual post history of the OP not obvious enough?

That thread is still open by the way. So if you want to not have your potentially helpful posts go to waste I suggest you comment there.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So if you want to not have your potentially helpful posts go to waste I suggest you comment there.

What is the point of copying the post and posting it here? SEO? Backlinking juice? Neither was done.

Despite the fact of the copy/paste, someone experiencing depression might benefit from some of the answers. Sometimes we can cope when we realize we aren't alone in our struggle.

@johansunburg ... ban/removal incoming.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
What is the point of copying the post and posting it here? SEO? Backlinking juice? Neither was done.

Despite the fact of the copy/paste, someone experiencing depression might benefit from some of the answers. Sometimes we can cope when we realize we aren't alone in our struggle.

@johansunburg ... ban/removal incoming.

I've no idea. Maybe they're just being weird.

And yeah, some good advice here. I wish I consulted the people of the forum when I was depressed years ago.

Could have saved me a few near-death experiences.

Still, the girl is in a bad period of her life and so is her boyfriend. I'll pm her the link to this thread.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I believe having "depression" is part of their label and their identity.

The conatus principle is relevant here. It’s easier to understand depression this way. Or any mental disturbance. It works for you or against you.

To short circuit the thing you have to understand it’s structure. Much like when a virus or bacteria enters your body. Not all viruses are the same and it’s remedy depends on understanding it’s structure.

Definitely sad though. To live your life never seeing your true nature.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
The conatus principle is relevant here. It’s easier to understand depression this way. Or any mental disturbance. It works for you or against you.

To short circuit the thing you have to understand it’s structure. Much like when a virus or bacteria enters your body. Not all viruses are the same and it’s remedy depends on understanding it’s structure.

Definitely sad though. To live your life never seeing your true nature.
I'm still discovering myself after all of these years. Aren't you?

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I'm still discovering myself after all of these years. Aren't you?

Absolutely. Well I’m only 29. But it’s a a life long process for sure. You need dedication and motivation. Not easy.

A good book on this topic is In Search of the Miraculous by Ouspensky.

“We regard the actions of an individual as originating in himself. We do not imagine that the "masses" may consist of automatons obeying external stimuli and may move, not under the influence of the will, consciousness, or inclination of individuals, but under the influence of external stimuli coming possibly from very far away.”

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Absolutely. Well I’m only 29. But it’s a a life long process for sure. You need dedication and motivation. Not easy.

A good book on this topic is In Search of the Miraculous by Ouspensky.

“We regard the actions of an individual as originating in himself. We do not imagine that the "masses" may consist of automatons obeying external stimuli and may move, not under the influence of the will, consciousness, or inclination of individuals, but under the influence of external stimuli coming possibly from very far away.”
Great quote.
You're only 29. You have a long way to go, Grasshopper.
I'm old -- in my mid 60s -- and I'm still discovering myself. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I still dream about the paths not taken and the many choices that could have been made. I'm amazed at the twists and turns, and the unexpected moments. My life has become an antithesis. When I was young, I never could have dreamed I would go so far and do so many things. On the other hand, I ended up a with a retired life that is totally off of my goals list.

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Some poor, phoneless fool is probably sitting next to a waterfall somewhere totally unaware of how angry, anxious and depressed he's supposed to be.
I had a good day too. Happiness to you.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Doesn’t sound like written by someone in early 20s either. Likely a troll making up a story baiting for replys to tell her to leave her bf, so that she can watch on the sideline and laugh at people online quarreling over the moral dillemma.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
Doesn’t sound like written by someone in early 20s either. Likely a troll making up a story baiting for replys to tell her to leave her bf, so that she can watch on the sideline and laugh at people online quarreling over the moral dillemma.

Nah.

I messaged the girl. She was shocked to hear about this thread but thankful for some of the advice.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.