The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Made a mobile game. This is my first product. I owe a lot of inspiration to you guys.

Veta

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 8, 2015
HTML Build: https://707635b1ec19400b395c74f37ad.../host/0B75jXB4Qp1cXeUVSQTBtdDdYUUk/index.html

It's still WIP but nearing completion. My approach has been to make the best product I can, something people actually like, and then worry about monetization.

But I'm at the point where I need to tackle monetization. And that's where I could use your input. Tthere are a couple roads to take here: pure ads, freemium, paid. My research indicates freemium is the best route for this kind of game. Freemium has the best conversion and broadest audience.

Freemiun also has the longest development time. A risk of this approach is that you spend all that dev time for nought, because you don't gain traction. A compromise might be to build a prototype and flesh it out when/if the app picks up momentum.

Another option is to roll the dice. Wrap things up and release the game with just ads. Shipped is better than perfect. This is certainly faster. But I'm having trouble getting numbers on how this kind of app would do with ads vs. IAP. I know IAP will convert better but not by how much.

Do any of you guys have experience with mobile monetization? What would you do in this situation? Also, if you any general suggestions, please don't hesitate.

Video, in case you didn't want to play:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Make the bar smaller, it looks too easy.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
How did you make it? In which software etc

FlamingRemedy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Oct 24, 2013
Looks fun, go market it to those who enjoy playing these types of games once you figure out your monetization approach.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
It's still WIP but nearing completion.

Looks really interesting! Are you planning any tutorial levels? One problem I could see is that there's so much going on on the screen that people are guaranteed to lose a few times before understanding what's going on, and you probably only have 1-2 losses before you lose people unless you've hooked them

What would you do in this situation?

Game dev is all about iteration, right? Why not release the ad version first since it's easiest. Then implement an IAP to remove ads. Then start implementing other IAPs? So long as you game is fun in it's basic state, trying to do everything before you launch probably isn't the best path since you won't really be learning from your players. You can waste a TON of time implementing features that no one cares about.[/QUOTE]

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Veta

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 8, 2015
Looks really interesting! Are you planning any tutorial levels? One problem I could see is that there's so much going on on the screen that people are guaranteed to lose a few times before understanding what's going on, and you probably only have 1-2 losses before you lose people unless you've hooked them

Game dev is all about iteration, right? Why not release the ad version first since it's easiest. Then implement an IAP to remove ads. Then start implementing other IAPs? So long as you game is fun in it's basic state, trying to do everything before you launch probably isn't the best path since you won't really be learning from your players. You can waste a TON of time implementing features that no one cares about.
This is great advice. I'm planning out a tutorial. My main apprehension is that this kind of game is liable 15 minutes of fame, if at all. So I'd like to be ready to capitalize on that. But I think you're right and I'll keep it simple, release and then see what suggestions come in. I can always rerelease.

Alxander: I used gamemaker studio.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.