The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Machine shop - An unsexy business thread.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

metallon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Oct 13, 2020
Salem, India
I've decided to start a job shop with two machines, but it needs a lot of money. Though the government is giving out loans, It is not safe when I don't have any customers. Hence, Searching customers and see if I can offer them value is the task for the coming week.

So far since the previous week, I have connected with an incense stick manufacturer and Agri spares dealer, who have trouble with poor quality parts from their current suppliers. I have taken sample parts from them and reverse engineered to blueprint, changed the material to offer them good spares. Right now, they are in the manufacturing process.

Inspired by Douglas Kruger and western machinists, I have created a YouTube channel to share my knowledge and to improve myself. Content in this channel are in my local language - Tamil, to connect with the local community.

Task for this week - 1. Approach local factories and spare parts dealers for business, 2. Make MasterCAM tutorial for YouTube.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
Nice work @metallon. Reliable and high quality vndendepent machine shops are such interesting places.

We use one in the US, and they are fabulous. The service is unbelievable, and they can always solve our problems.

Good luck to you! Remember: "if you take care of the customer, the customer will take care of you"

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I've decided to start a job shop with two machines, but it needs a lot of money. Though the government is giving out loans, It is not safe when I don't have any customers. Hence, Searching customers and see if I can offer them value is the task for the coming week.

So far since the previous week, I have connected with an incense stick manufacturer and Agri spares dealer, who have trouble with poor quality parts from their current suppliers. I have taken sample parts from them and reverse engineered to blueprint, changed the material to offer them good spares. Right now, they are in the manufacturing process.

Inspired by Douglas Kruger and western machinists, I have created a YouTube channel to share my knowledge and to improve myself. Content in this channel are in my local language - Tamil, to connect with the local community.

Task for this week - 1. Approach local factories and spare parts dealers for business, 2. Make MasterCAM tutorial for YouTube.

There is a machine shop down the street from us, locally owned, been operating for 40+ years and I know the 2nd generation of owners.

They do a lot of work for the large companies, think oil refineries and chemical plants. Try to make some connections there. They also do a lot of work for metal fabrication/welding companies too.

It helps if you're near a port.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Freaking awesome business.
ping me to come back and put more thoughts on this.......

local manufacturing plant
3d printing / prototypes for local inventors
need to find a 'wearable' product for a local manufacturer .... blades for the local food processor, wear pads for a stamping machine, stuff like that that has a 'subscription / monthly' model

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019

I disagree with your channel's language, I think It should be in English.

why
Earlier you are building saas that connects international people with the local manufacturer or something along those lines.
you need clients, you already have a manufacturer(they will agree when cash is involved).

also, youtube is a long term strategy anyways.

metallon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Oct 13, 2020
Salem, India
I disagree with your channel's language, I think It should be in English.

why
Earlier you are building saas that connects international people with the local manufacturer or something along those lines.
you need clients, you already have a manufacturer(they will agree when cash is involved).

also, youtube is a long term strategy anyways.
Agree. The reason for choosing the local language is,
1. There are no channel that teaches this trade in Tamil, since most people in this trade doesn't know English. So it would be valuable to them. Including my colleagues.
2. There are so many English channels already. Saturated.

@ZCP let's partner up. Great ideas.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
1. There are no channel that teaches this trade in Tamil, since most people in this trade doesn't know English. So it would be valuable to them. Including my colleagues.

do both, content can just be translated by you.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland

Namaskaram Metallon.....

Competition is inevitable. Subtitle out the tamil content. Let the viewers decide whether it's good enough enough. It takes a certain type of person to do unique out of the box fabrication. Never underestimate this. Well done. Plow on ahead

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.