The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Luxury Restroom Trailers

GlowStickGuy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Apr 14, 2020
Boise, ID
Hey all,

I would like to get some input on this business idea for the Boise area.

I recently discovered there are luxury restroom trailers that you can rent out for things like outdoor weddings and outdoor corporate events.
In many of these cases people don't want to use the traditional porta potty as they tend to be very unappealing to the general public.

You can buy these pre-fabricated trailers online for around 20-30k.
There does not seem to be too much competition in my current area but I'm not sure if that means there is a lack of demand or nobody is really in this market space yet.
One of the local businesses that does this quoted me $1495 for a day of use and said they already had some dates in August booked.

To try to test the marketplace I built a website and used Google Adwords and Facebook ads to drive traffic to it. You can find the website here: boisebathroom.com
The site has a landing page and a contact page. Around 187 people have landed on the home page and 48 people have landed on the contact page. The contact page has a request form that once submitted will send me an email.

I have spent around $60 in advertising and have not received any emails yet.

Do I need to improve my website to accurately gauge the market? Most of them come from Facebook ads which requires a Facebook business page. As you can imagine my business page is pretty much empty and I think it would be difficult to "fake" something like that as everything is dated and I can only "borrow" so many images.

Should I actually start calling businesses and seeing if they have any outdoor events and would be interested in renting a trailer? Should I contact wedding planners around my area to see their thoughts?

This seems difficult considering I don't even have a physical trailer to show them haha.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Next moves?

Thanks in advance for the responses!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

B_Mac

Redneck Oligarch
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
480%
Apr 10, 2017
Southwest Virginia
$1500 a day felt HIGH. I did a quick search on what it should cost and got $350-700. That felt more reasonable.

I would say yes, you need to improve the website. There are spelling errors, the pictures are obviously generic, the info and copy isn't exciting. If I were doing this, I'd add my price point. Tell them they can get a luxury restroom, clean and fresh, for just $400 a day or whatever. Make them think of the smell and disgust that is normal portajohns.

How many impressions did you get on the 187 clicks? I submitted the form just so you could test getting the email. If 48 people get to the contact page, maybe something there is stopping them. Tweak it some.

Overall, I think the idea is a good one. Its something not everyone doing a wedding or whatever thinks of. Are there many outdoor weddings in Boise? Good luck.

GlowStickGuy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Apr 14, 2020
Boise, ID
Hey B_Mac, thanks for the input!

I got your email so the contact form works! Coincidentally I just got my first inquiry asking about price. They said the have contacted another company but just want to compare prices.

I'll start making improvements to the site

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Should I actually start calling businesses and seeing if they have any outdoor events and would be interested in renting a trailer? Should I contact wedding planners around my area to see their thoughts?

Yes. It's hard to ask cold web traffic questions. Some phone conversations would help you learn a lot more about the market you're trying to sell to.

Also, you only spent $60. For a $1500 product, the CAC might be 2x-4x that.

I'd suggest looking outside of Boise, and trying to establish if this has taken off in other cities. That would give you a better idea if this is a demand problem or a supply problem.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
That website is pretty terrible.

However, I think that the idea is a solid one. When I was working in the oil patch, sometimes they would get similar (but less classy) trailers when doing big workover jobs instead of porta poties for the extra workers. They were nice.

I could see these going over really well at outdoor festivals if there was a proper way to string them together and get a proper cue system going for notifying people if they were fully occupied or if there was still room in them.

Get some costs together and pitch the idea to some outdoor festival organizers?

GlowStickGuy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Apr 14, 2020
Boise, ID
That website is pretty terrible.

However, I think that the idea is a solid one. When I was working in the oil patch, sometimes they would get similar (but less classy) trailers when doing big workover jobs instead of porta poties for the extra workers. They were nice.

I could see these going over really well at outdoor festivals if there was a proper way to string them together and get a proper cue system going for notifying people if they were fully occupied or if there was still room in them.

Get some costs together and pitch the idea to some outdoor festival organizers?

Hey GPM, thanks for the feedback!

I'm a little concerned right now with Covid that this might not be the best business to get into for a while. Looking like a second wave is pretty imminent and that could last all the way through winter where there won't be outdoor weddings/events. I think a 'construction version' might work well but I'm not sure if construction management would be willing to shell out for an upgraded porta potty

B_Mac

Redneck Oligarch
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
480%
Apr 10, 2017
Southwest Virginia
Hey GPM, thanks for the feedback!

I'm a little concerned right now with Covid that this might not be the best business to get into for a while. Looking like a second wave is pretty imminent and that could last all the way through winter where there won't be outdoor weddings/events. I think a 'construction version' might work well but I'm not sure if construction management would be willing to shell out for an upgraded porta potty

weddings and most other events are planned well in advance though right? In fact with Covid, how many people delayed their wedding/event until next year, meaning a big glut of events and not enough people to supply it.
If you’re seriously considering this, I’d be looking at what it takes to bring it all together and start offering it now.
Make the website say anyone booking for 2021 events can get a $600 reservation for just $450 with a $200 deposit today.

GlowStickGuy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Apr 14, 2020
Boise, ID
weddings and most other events are planned well in advance though right? In fact with Covid, how many people delayed their wedding/event until next year, meaning a big glut of events and not enough people to supply it.
If you’re seriously considering this, I’d be looking at what it takes to bring it all together and start offering it now.
Make the website say anyone booking for 2021 events can get a $600 reservation for just $450 with a $200 deposit today.

Smart thinking B_Mac. Appreciate it

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.