The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Losing 6K in 3 months

Anything related to matters of the mind

Lukas WJ

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Nov 13, 2021
I have been running my own e-commerce stores for a good 1.5 years.
I have only made real sales this year. So far it is 90k. Until July I had about 8K gross "profit". (I know, for the turnover not much). The last 3 months, however, I have lost just under 6K, because I have tested a lot and unfortunately nothing has really worked.
If you include the tax I am currently a good 4K euros in the red.

Since I've been working on it really daily for over 1.5 years now and have tested a lot and still have made almost no sales at all for the last 4-5 months, I'm thinking about whether it's time for a pivot.
I would then move away from e-commerce and new areas. It should not be a "giving up", but rather a reorientation.

What are your thoughts on this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Cano

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 3, 2022
Germany
Since I've been working on it really daily for over 1.5 years now and have tested a lot and still have made almost no sales at all for the last 4-5 months, I'm thinking about whether it's time for a pivot.
im thinking the best thing to do right now is analyze your failures/mistakes after 1.5 years of "testing".

here's a suggestion from me what we could do that could help everyone starting in the ecommerce space :
show us what you've been doing for the last 1.5 years with products/advertising/branding.
explain what your products had for value skews, what value did you provide?

because there are many people in this forum who are very successful in ecommerce like @fastlane_dad @NeoDialectic.
In my opinion it would be realy interesting what they would have done different and why.

This could be very valuable for everyone starting in ecommerce. what do you think @fastlane_dad @NeoDialectic ?

(of course only if you want to share lukas)

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
Break down the costs so we understand them, and also the type of testing you are doing.

Losing 4K is not much, the 1.5 years however is a major time cost you should take into account. I assume you have learned a lot from this process though.

NeoDialectic

Successfully Exited the Rat Race
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
686%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
im thinking the best thing to do right now is analyze your failures/mistakes after 1.5 years of "testing".

here's a suggestion from me what we could do that could help everyone starting in the ecommerce space :
show us what you've been doing for the last 1.5 years with products/advertising/branding.
explain what your products had for value skews, what value did you provide?

because there are many people in this forum who are very successful in ecommerce like @fastlane_dad @NeoDialectic.
In my opinion it would be realy interesting what they would have done different and why.

This could be very valuable for everyone starting in ecommerce. what do you think @fastlane_dad @NeoDialectic ?

(of course only if you want to share lukas)
You nailed it. We made a thread talking about this topic in a general sense HERE. But to talk about specifics, we need alot more info to help make any kind of call.

A few thousand in loses is no big deal, depending on the reason. So just as an example of how my opinion can differ based on context....If this is a drop shipping business where you are trying to beat out the other lowest price competitor, I would say it may be time to move on. If you have made an innovative product and you are just having difficulty getting attention on it, it may be worth looking at different methods of advertising before giving up. It may just be as simple as not conveying your value skew properly or to the right people. But it all depends.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
I have only made real sales this year. So far it is 90k ...

... and still have made almost no sales at all for the last 4-5 months,
Just to clarify, you broadly did $15k per month for 6 months then it's gone to approx $0 for last 4/5 months?

Did this drop start after your testing or before?

ie If you were doing abc and changed to abd then ade did you revert at any time back to abc to see what would happen?

Other than that, as previously mentioned, you need to add more details. What is the product? Is it seasonable for example?

Dan

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Your post mentions nothing about the product.

I might be wrong, but it sounds like you're just pushing commoditized products (and money chasing) but not offering anything unique. This is a common problem for money chasers and droppshippers as they're just competing for who will take the least amount of profits as their commoditized product is obtained anywhere, and everywhere.

This is what happens when people get into business for the explicit purpose to "make money" with no concern about what they're actually selling.

So when people ask questions like "how do I turn this ship around?"

My answer isn't to turn the ship around, it is to let the sink ship.

Shining turds isn't a business activity.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.