The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking to bootstrap through copywriting?

bmlyon

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Dec 10, 2013
Wrightsville Beach NC
Hello all,

First and foremost, I have spent the past six years of my life in the military as an aircraft mechanic, which is no where near fast lane. It has been an enjoyable and rewarding career but my civilian experience or "real-world" experience is almost null and void. I have ZERO desire to work for the man because my goals and dreams will not be met on that pathway.

The idea of learning copy seems very appealing given the amount of earning potential but I know nothing of earning money via the internet.

I have researched a little via google and this forum but:

1. How is money earned from copy?
2. Is this field over saturated with people copying?
3. Is there big money to made?
4. Could this be a pathway to bigger things?

Any information would be greatly appreciated as I currently have no other concrete money earning ideas.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sydants

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 28, 2014
Melbourne
Everyone has the opportunity to earn money from anything, just be creative.

1. Earning money shouldn't be from a definitive set of ways, learn to adapt, change and prosper. However, the two main brackets to earn money for you would be either to sell your copy writing skills or start selling yourself! Start by charging others to write some sales letters, ask them how it goes, what it did to their CTR and sales. Learn how good you are at any one time and get paid to do it! Then when you're sick and tired of sending other people off to the Maldives for a weekend retreat every month start giving to yourself! Think smart, work smart.

2. If you're asking is there too many people writing sales letters or advertisements you need to take a step back and realise how much green paper is flying around the world. It is in abundance, go on take it. You cannot get if you do not ask.

3. Think about when you were a kid and you thought anything could and would be possible. Now fast forward to where you are now. Go back in that time machine we just invented called memory and think like a child again! Get out of your programmed mindset and start thinking like you were born to do, anything is possible.

4. Follow the yellow brick road and it will lead to happiness, or so they say. Anything where you push forwards is going to lead to bigger and better things. It's just how badly YOU want it.

Now go pickup a copy book. Read it. Now write it. Write as much sales letters as you possibly can. Copy other amazing sales letters. Learn how to sell. Learn what sells. Learn why it sells. Profit.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
From what I understand copywriting is like any other profession. You have people who are good and arent making alot and you have others who are good and are making millions.

Anyways,I only recommend one program when it comes to copy because if you can pass those rigors then it proves you're dedicated, and, as they say, "the harder you work the easier it gets".
Start here, and, dont deviate from the mission soldier.
http://www.thegaryhalbertletter.com/Newsletters/zfkj_hands_on_experience.htm
http://www.trafficplusconversion.com/1345/gary-halbert-letter/ (his newsletters)
http://theryanmcgrath.com/2010/04/gary-halberts-favorite-ads/ (his ads he recommends)

Last edited:

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
A friend of mine has been doing this for a long time. I lost touch with him for years. When he went off to learn "Copy writing", I always thought he meant he was going off to a "Copyrighting" career. I guess I should have paid attention, because he is definitely in the fast lane now. It wasn't the copy writing that made his millions, but it put him on the path. Along the way he met so many contacts and got to explore a wide range of business models, products & services. He learned what Sells! and how to Sell it!

Last edited:

AlexanderV

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Dec 3, 2013
Ontario

I am actually taking the Gary Halbert challenge myself and started reading the Boron Letters. As you mentionned, it's a rigorous method but I know it will be worth it. Thanks for posting this link again. :)

Anyone knows what he meant when he recommended reading "The Gary Halbert Letter" (all back issues)? Is this a hardcover book? English is not my first language so I couldn't figure it out...

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
I am actually taking the Gary Halbert challenge myself and started reading the Boron Letters. As you mentionned, it's a rigorous method but I know it will be worth it. Thanks for posting this link again. :)

Anyone knows what he meant when he recommended reading "The Gary Halbert Letter" (all back issues)? Is this a hardcover book? English is not my first language so I couldn't figure it out...

back issues is his newsletter. click the second link i posted to get them in order. well sorta in order but, the guy who's website it is, is the only person I know who tried to attempt to put halberts letters in order(except for GH son that I know of). I myself have them printed out.

Good luck on challenge. Maybe we should have an unofficial group for the challenge :)

AlexanderV

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Dec 3, 2013
Ontario
Thanks, this was confusing me. :)

Are you also taking the challenge? I would be down for a discussion/accountability group.

It's great to see so much motivation around the forum for learning copy!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thread title change ... sounded like you wanted to steal someones' website or something of that nature.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
1) You sell stuff to people with your words and make a profit.
2) No
3) Yes
4) I don't know what could be bigger than writing down words and have people throw money at you, but if you know of something, then yes.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
Thanks, this was confusing me. :)

Are you also taking the challenge? I would be down for a discussion/accountability group.

It's great to see so much motivation around the forum for learning copy!

i'm not, but, it wouldn't hurt to do it with others. A group leader who can keep a designated time would be great. I cant be the group leader though, we need someone who is going to be the glue of the group to make sure we are all going to gravitate and stay together until we complete.

Last edited:

bmlyon

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Dec 10, 2013
Wrightsville Beach NC
In on getting a group together to share ideas, accountability and forward progress. Not talking about a career in copy but it should, and will, open doors and insight into other fast lane opportunities!

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
How far ahead are you in the challenge? What of the books you read already? What book are you currently reading?

davedev

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
372%
Jun 3, 2013
Florida
I'm down for a copywriting group.

Lets go. I started following all the links @oldfool posted about 4 days ago.

bmlyon

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Dec 10, 2013
Wrightsville Beach NC
Today is the first day. Im currently "iced in" on the NC coast so I've been researching many different business ideas and possible niches. Currently a college student and broke off my a$$…. No fun. My aircraft experience will only pay $20-$25 an hour and that will not cut it.

I've gathered a list of books I plan on reading but I'm attempting due diligence before I go forward.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Copy is essentially sales in print form. Copy itself won't make you rich. It's a vehicle you use to sell your product. Therefore, you must first create a product of value for the market first. Then you sell it using your copywriting skills.

Hell no. Never has been and never will be. Most people aren't willing to take the time to learn.

Depends. Copywriting alone won't make you big money. There are so many different factors and moving parts to making a successful business. Copywriting is just one of the tools in the toolbox of the entrepreneur. Then there's the mindset part which is a whole other beast altogether omfg my head is spinning bro, grab the alcohol. Get the ice cream.

Hell yea. Picture this...

You'll be able to send your kids to the best schools in the city.

You'll be able to get a hot trophy wife.

You'll be able to vacation all around the world and go to all the exotic beaches.

You will be able to drive a Lambo and finally be seen as worth something in the eyes of MJ DeMarco.

You will no longer have to eat off the McDonald's dollar menu.

You can give $100 bills to homeless bums.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Then there's the mindset part which is a whole other beast altogether omfg my head is spinning bro, grab the alcohol. Get the ice cream.

You will be able to drive a Lambo and finally be seen as worth something in the eyes of MJ DeMarco.

You'll be able to vacation all around the world and go to all the exotic beaches.

You've got the stuff. I'm in your corner pal, I'm going in on the Boron Letters now. 30 days Sabbatical. 18 hour unadulterated hours a day. Will come out a beast, with some Ice cream :)

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
Today is the first day. Im currently "iced in" on the NC coast so I've been researching many different business ideas and possible niches. Currently a college student and broke off my a$$…. No fun. My aircraft experience will only pay $20-$25 an hour and that will not cut it.

I've gathered a list of books I plan on reading but I'm attempting due diligence before I go forward.

oh ok so copywriting you arent sure you want to do, or, you not sure what niche you want to go into with copywriting?

I dont want to pressure you. I have had the same delima myself. Just let me know what you decide especially before you buy all those books because there is some edition issues with two of them I would like to discuss if you wanna move forward. I'll save that convo for later.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
Just scrolled up to reread...........dave and alexander lets do this!!!!!!!

P.S. I'll keep my eye on your progress silverhawk since you are a hard charging self motivated loner. I would've designated you our group leader. oh well we'll just have to do this without ya :rockon:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
You are starting a business that is basically a job so that you can later on have the ability to start a business???

Why not just start a real business now? Go straight from A to B. There doesn't need to be an A and a half.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Any time I consider giving money to these low life's I say no and go home and donate that money to a worthy cause. Don't reward these idiots. What did they do to earn some of the money you work hard to make?

End rant...

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Its saturated on the lower end.... too many noobs selling cheap copywriting services.

If you become an expert in specific vertical (which I'd recommend you to do) and you a world class copywriter then you can charge people $500-5000 per copy.

You can Joint Venture with product makers and write copy for them and take a % of the profits made.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
You are starting a business that is basically a job so that you can later on have the ability to start a business???

Why not just start a real business now?

I wrestled with this same scenario. Anyone want to chime in?
Do you have a better suggestion?

Last edited:

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet

yes that is it.

PSA: One more thing, before you go out and order those books you should note that Tested Advertising is in the 5th edition. DO NOT buy that one. Find the 4thd edition at online stores. The 5th edition is not the original it is revised after caples death. I bought the 5th edition years ago and then later on I bought the 4th once I got word that copywriters recommended that edition.

Also, 7 steps to freedom to be safe buy the 1st edition. Gary didnt like deviation from my understanding, so, lets try and follow his advice to the letter.

Last edited:

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
I wrestled with this same scenario. Anyone want to chime in?
Do you have a better suggestion?

If you utilize the copywriting skill to sell other peoples products, such as clickbank, commission junction, or even amazon through your own website, you are generating your own cash and developing websites that are assets and can be sold in the future, or you just let them run in the background and make you money 24/7.

1) Find a thing
2) get a domain and setup a landing page with your sales copy
3) write some persuasive advertising copy
4) buy some traffic by enticing visitors with advertising copy
5) close the deal with your sales copy
6) take your checks to the bank

Total investment is about $30 bucks for the domain and 3 months hosting. Your market will determine the price you pay for traffic.

Affiliate marketing is not entirely fastlane, you don't have control over the product as an affiliate, but it is a tremendous skill to have to build up your resources to start doing more fastlane activities. There is also an argument to be made on the lack of control for people that import or buy something wholesale for resale, but that isn't what we are talking about in this thread.

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 15, 2013
If you utilize the copywriting skill to sell other peoples products, such as clickbank, commission junction, or even amazon through your own website, you are generating your own cash and developing websites that are assets and can be sold in the future, or you just let them run in the background and make you money 24/7.

1) Find a thing
2) get a domain and setup a landing page with your sales copy
3) write some persuasive advertising copy
4) buy some traffic by enticing visitors with advertising copy
5) close the deal with your sales copy
6) take your checks to the bank

Total investment is about $30 bucks for the domain and 3 months hosting. Your market will determine the price you pay for traffic.

This is just pure golden. I'm learning and writing copywriting at the moment and this is something I will be doing later when Im good.

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 15, 2013
Do it when you are bad, the pressure will make you better much faster....

Ok true. The thing was that this is the fourth day Im learning. But I guess, the best way to learn is to fail, fail, fail, fail... :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.