The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking For Turn Key Real Estate Investing

Anything related to investing, including crypto

scratchdisk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Feb 11, 2014
Portland, Oregon
Hello Everyone!

Does anyone have experience investing with an out of state turn key real estate group? I have a couple of properties in my local area (Portland, OR), and plan to diversify into another city. I'm looking for a company that will source/broker the property, handle any rehab if needed, then act as property manager. Thanks in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Send me a check and I'll find something for you. What kind of return were you looking for? And how big is your wallet? Only 1/2 kidding.

Why not just invest in a REIT at that point?

Marylynn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Oct 19, 2015
I own a couple commercial properties and decided to liquidate my residential to use for reinvestment. Although I did not like having an out of state residential property, I felt it made sense to diversify. I decided to investigate this "turn-key" investing. I have probably talked to 90% of them and several clients of theirs. My issue is the numbers represented are not realistic with respect that they do not account for the true vacancy or maintenance expenses, often are purchased in bulk wholesale then presented as overpriced to the investor. I love the "idea" of passive investing, yet find they are merely selling a dream and not the reality. That being said, I have only been an investor on my own and not through a turn-key group. Maybe I am just being cynical, but I just have not heard any rave reviews nor can see the actuality on the numbers from my experiences.

scratchdisk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Feb 11, 2014
Portland, Oregon
Send me a check and I'll find something for you. What kind of return were you looking for? And how big is your wallet? Only 1/2 kidding.

Why not just invest in a REIT at that point?

Thanks for the reply, I prefer to own the actual property instead of a fund, more control.
I own a couple commercial properties and decided to liquidate my residential to use for reinvestment. Although I did not like having an out of state residential property, I felt it made sense to diversify. I decided to investigate this "turn-key" investing. I have probably talked to 90% of them and several clients of theirs. My issue is the numbers represented are not realistic with respect that they do not account for the true vacancy or maintenance expenses, often are purchased in bulk wholesale then presented as overpriced to the investor. I love the "idea" of passive investing, yet find they are merely selling a dream and not the reality. That being said, I have only been an investor on my own and not through a turn-key group. Maybe I am just being cynical, but I just have not heard any rave reviews nor can see the actuality on the numbers from my experiences.

Thank you very much for your response. I've been in contact with these guys for a bit http://www.holtonwisepropertygroup.com/ and the reports they send seem really good. Part of me thinks its too good to be true. Im also not too sure about Cleveland.The two rentals I've put together in Portland are profitable, but they were a lot of work. Probably the best thing to do is to try to find a great property manager in the city I want to invest in.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Hello Everyone!

Does anyone have experience investing with an out of state turn key real estate group? I have a couple of properties in my local area (Portland, OR), and plan to diversify into another city. I'm looking for a company that will source/broker the property, handle any rehab if needed, then act as property manager. Thanks in advance.
I've always felt like these brokers would be saving the best deals for themselves, their family's and their friends. Where does that leave you?

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
There are many turn key real estate companies around.

Mid South Home Buyers is one of those well recommended.
Featured regularly on the RE Guys Radio Show.

They operate out of Memphis which is widely considered one of the best RE rental markets worldwide.

Always do your due diligence though.

Last edited:

BrandonS85

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Sep 8, 2015
Ohio USA
I've thought about selling turnkey properties, but the question always comes back to "Why".

Why would I want to take the best properties I have and sell them to a out of state investor? Well, the answer is I simply wouldn't.

There are some guys out there that love churn-n-burn. They'll take a dog, put some lipstick in it, put a random tenant in and call it a day. It's very hard to say whether the house will fall apart in 2-3 years, or the tenant will tear it up, but if they can sell it for a 50% over their markup, why not?

If I was a out of state investor, I'd look at finding a real estate agent or project manager that was capable of doing what I wanted, then hiring them to go out, find the deals, rehab and turn over to the best property manager in the area. Then it may make sense. The turnkey guys are just worried about the markup, much less so than the quality.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
Hello Everyone!

@scratchdisk,

Check out MemphisInvest. Hope that helps!

Rubin

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 22, 2015
Tirana
Hello Everyone!

Hi there,

I personally believe that a good broker of the properties and cost effective is internet. So, before choosing an agency I believe that a good way to start is having a partner platform, to have your space in internet for your properties. After that, a good step is choosing an agency and instead of your contact to publish in internet the contacts of your agency.

An international space gives you benefit to international clients and most of the time they are cost effective.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Hi there,

I personally believe that a good broker of the properties and cost effective is internet. So, before choosing an agency I believe that a good way to start is having a partner platform, to have your space in internet for your properties. After that, a good step is choosing an agency and instead of your contact to publish in internet the contacts of your agency.

An international space gives you benefit to international clients and most of the time they are cost effective.
what?

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
Are you a thrill seeker, or just like to loose :)

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics