Mr Fox
New Contributor
- Joined
- Dec 21, 2013
- Messages
- 4
Rep Bank
$65
$65
User Power: 75%
Hi guys, i've been lurking this forum for a while, never really contributed because..you know, i don't think i can add value yet. I will preface this by saying that I know that it looks like i'm a loser, and that's because I am one. But i am not stupid, and i promise you that if you take your time to understand my situation and give some advice, i will consider and analyze it thoroughly. I'm ready and willing to change and work my a$$ off. Your time means money, and i respect that.
Live and born in Bucharest, Romania, turned 21 recently, no connections, live with my parents, dad(mother doesn't work) can only provide shelter, food and maybe occasionally 10-30e/month for stuff. Graduated from high school with bad grades (because i hated the shit that they were teaching, i was reading TMF and Rich Dad Poor Dad at that time, i knew that I'm not learning any real skills). I have no other diplomas other than the baccalaureate. Fluent in English, no accent, but it's the only foreign language i speak.
Have a mind for tech, i "get it" really fast(may it be coding or just how certain tech works). Currently know html/css(sass, bootstrap/foundation)/photoshop sort of know js/jquery - i suck at it, just started really learning it. Some experience with wordpress/php/mysql.
Bad work experience for my resume, just few gigs mostly in sales or retail that didn't lost very long. Thin but existent portfolio from my design/development work.
The economic landscape is really bad in romania, i'm looking at a 1.5-2$/hour(170 - 220e/month, full time) salary for most jobs that i can apply to - not counting the web dev. gigs because i never really had a job in this field, just projects. Also the rate of youth unemployment is a whopping 25%(the real number is actually closer to 50%). So the competition is pretty fierce on most jobs, and that allows employers to treat us like trash and pay us accordingly. All of the money in the world that i currently have is 90 euros, no assets(or liabilities) to speak of.
So why am I in this position? Well, i'll admit that I was lazy, but also because i lost about 2 years trying to learn how to play poker professionally(cliffs of that adventure: couldn't climb up the stakes because of the high rake and tilt problems, online poker "economy" keeps going down, competition is fiercer than ever, i was wasting my time, ended up breakeven after 2 years). College is a waste of time here, i needed money, and i didn't have the grades to go to a good one anyway, so i skipped it.
My biggest weaknesses are the i can be lazy and procrastinate a lot. Also that i live in a poor country and i start with basically no money. My biggest strengths are that i learn fast, can build websites myself (ecommerce, blogs, brochure, landing page, you name it) and have low living expenses - basically 0.
My plan currently was to study for another few months while building my portfolio and try to land a jr. web dev. gig. But reading this forum I think that longterm it sucks. I'm learning how to code while striving to reach a point where i'll get the 'privilege' of trading my time for money to make a decent living. I see myself in 1 year of hard work in a cubicle, positioning a button for 750e/month(avg. jr - middle front end dev in romania).
Should I start learning copy instead?
Considering that I can build websites fast should I give Internet Marketing a try(and can i even succeed with such a low bankroll)?
(for any freelance coders out there)Is the freelance route better than landing a job in an agency?
Also, any other thoughts are welcome. Thank you for your time.
Live and born in Bucharest, Romania, turned 21 recently, no connections, live with my parents, dad(mother doesn't work) can only provide shelter, food and maybe occasionally 10-30e/month for stuff. Graduated from high school with bad grades (because i hated the shit that they were teaching, i was reading TMF and Rich Dad Poor Dad at that time, i knew that I'm not learning any real skills). I have no other diplomas other than the baccalaureate. Fluent in English, no accent, but it's the only foreign language i speak.
Have a mind for tech, i "get it" really fast(may it be coding or just how certain tech works). Currently know html/css(sass, bootstrap/foundation)/photoshop sort of know js/jquery - i suck at it, just started really learning it. Some experience with wordpress/php/mysql.
Bad work experience for my resume, just few gigs mostly in sales or retail that didn't lost very long. Thin but existent portfolio from my design/development work.
The economic landscape is really bad in romania, i'm looking at a 1.5-2$/hour(170 - 220e/month, full time) salary for most jobs that i can apply to - not counting the web dev. gigs because i never really had a job in this field, just projects. Also the rate of youth unemployment is a whopping 25%(the real number is actually closer to 50%). So the competition is pretty fierce on most jobs, and that allows employers to treat us like trash and pay us accordingly. All of the money in the world that i currently have is 90 euros, no assets(or liabilities) to speak of.
So why am I in this position? Well, i'll admit that I was lazy, but also because i lost about 2 years trying to learn how to play poker professionally(cliffs of that adventure: couldn't climb up the stakes because of the high rake and tilt problems, online poker "economy" keeps going down, competition is fiercer than ever, i was wasting my time, ended up breakeven after 2 years). College is a waste of time here, i needed money, and i didn't have the grades to go to a good one anyway, so i skipped it.
My biggest weaknesses are the i can be lazy and procrastinate a lot. Also that i live in a poor country and i start with basically no money. My biggest strengths are that i learn fast, can build websites myself (ecommerce, blogs, brochure, landing page, you name it) and have low living expenses - basically 0.
My plan currently was to study for another few months while building my portfolio and try to land a jr. web dev. gig. But reading this forum I think that longterm it sucks. I'm learning how to code while striving to reach a point where i'll get the 'privilege' of trading my time for money to make a decent living. I see myself in 1 year of hard work in a cubicle, positioning a button for 750e/month(avg. jr - middle front end dev in romania).
Should I start learning copy instead?
Considering that I can build websites fast should I give Internet Marketing a try(and can i even succeed with such a low bankroll)?
(for any freelance coders out there)Is the freelance route better than landing a job in an agency?
Also, any other thoughts are welcome. Thank you for your time.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
