The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking for advice and feedback

Hiimmj15

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 5, 2020
Tennessee
Howdy. I was just looking into getting started with a business similar to Adobe stock that sells stock photos. I am leaving a bit of info out but, suffice to say I am aware that i would be competing with at least 3 huge stock photo online seller companies. I am just looking for info.

The info I mainly need is if I need anything special to just start a website and start selling. I have an idea for how I can get my photos, as well as compete. I am not aware of license I may need or what have you. Or if id need to create a business to sell the photos.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
If you’re not making money, filing for a business might be a waste of your time and money. Once you start making a few hundred dollars go register.

You don’t need any license or anything else. Just build the website and go.

Hiimmj15

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 5, 2020
Tennessee
If you’re not making money, filing for a business might be a waste of your time and money. Once you start making a few hundred dollars go register.

Just what I needed to hear, thanks!

Hiimmj15

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 5, 2020
Tennessee

So I was getting some assistance with creating the site, and am being quoted at around 3-5 grand. Just wanted to know if that is typical or something sounds fishy..?

Evan G

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
May 24, 2020
Arkansas
So I was getting some assistance with creating the site, and am being quoted at around 3-5 grand. Just wanted to know if that is typical or something sounds fishy..?
Can you provide more information on what the site does? Is this site strictly informational about your service or is it going to handle selling all your stock photos as well?

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States

Sounds typical.

Time to roll up your sleeves and figure out how to make a website yourself.

welcome to starting a business.

Hiimmj15

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 5, 2020
Tennessee
Can you provide more information on what the site does? Is this site strictly informational about your service or is it going to handle selling all your stock photos as well?
Yes, sure thing. It will actually have the stock images available for sell, as well as member/contributor sign up and payment plans. All the stuff a typical stock photo selling website would. Just let me know if you need to know anything else.

Hiimmj15

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 5, 2020
Tennessee
Sounds typical.

Time to roll up your sleeves and figure out how to make a website yourself.

welcome to starting a business.
I mean I do have the cash but. Do i want to spend that much..? Maybe not so bright.. but hey I like the sound of that, actually getting into all the stuff ive been reading about.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
It is amazing how fast you will burn through that cash.

Save it for when absolutely necessary.

kleine2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Sep 15, 2013
Howdy. I was just looking into getting started with a business similar to Adobe stock that sells stock photos. I am leaving a bit of info out but, suffice to say I am aware that i would be competing with at least 3 huge stock photo online seller companies. I am just looking for info.

The info I mainly need is if I need anything special to just start a website and start selling. I have an idea for how I can get my photos, as well as compete. I am not aware of license I may need or what have you. Or if id need to create a business to sell the photos.
I think that the way that these sites work is that photographers upload their photos that they have the rights to and get some of the revenue when you sell them.

Hiimmj15

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 5, 2020
Tennessee
I think that the way that these sites work is that photographers upload their photos that they have the rights to and get some of the revenue when you sell them.
Yes I believe so. Seems simple enough right? *nervously laughs* I was getting a consultation from some web designers however, saying they dont think the platform i am using (Wix) would be able to hold up the capacity for large amounts of image/ video assets. So right now i have to figure out what the heck that means.

Last edited:

DougRMR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 19, 2019
Yes I believe so. Seems simple enough right? *nervously laughs* I was getting a consultation from some web designers however, saying they dont think the platform i am using (Wix) would be able to hold up the capacity for large amounts of image/ video assets. So right now i have to figure out what the heck that means.
Yeah, Wix is not a good option for what is essentially a digital store. Depending on how much data you'll have in your website and store basically dictates the cost of the website. Do you have a tight budget?

Hiimmj15

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 5, 2020
Tennessee
Yeah, Wix is not a good option for what is essentially a digital store. Depending on how much data you'll have in your website and store basically dictates the cost of the website. Do you have a tight budget?
Hmm that's good to know before I got too into it... Do you have recommendations for a host that would be preferable? And well. I have a large amount of cash saved up for entrepreneurial purposes, but I def do not want to spend all of it (as emergency funds would be nice) so at the moment at least, I am allocating around 3000 to this purpose.

kleine2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Sep 15, 2013
Hmm that's good to know before I got too into it... Do you have recommendations for a host that would be preferable? And well. I have a large amount of cash saved up for entrepreneurial purposes, but I def do not want to spend all of it (as emergency funds would be nice) so at the moment at least, I am allocating around 3000 to this purpose.
Are you taking on a specific niche? Because if you are going after the same global market as the big existing players, it might not be realistic with that budget.

Hiimmj15

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 5, 2020
Tennessee
Are you taking on a specific niche? Because if you are going after the same global market as the big existing players, it might not be realistic with that budget.
haha jeez that is not the most inspiring thing to hear :rofl:
Hmm well. It is sort of a niche. The thing is mainly, I am not going for "big" I just need maybe a few hundred users for my purposes. I know there is a big demand for assets for content creators, and I know that the competition is huge (Adobe stock for example is a titan, I'm sure you know) if anything it would be great experience. I am confused though as to what in this business eats so much money. I thought 3000 or so would be overkill but you say that would not be enough? Why is that? Say I keep it as a small venture like what I am describing (a few hundred to maybe 1000 assets on the site) what is it that eats up all that cash?

kleine2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Sep 15, 2013
haha jeez that is not the most inspiring thing to hear :rofl:
Hmm well. It is sort of a niche. The thing is mainly, I am not going for "big" I just need maybe a few hundred users for my purposes. I know there is a big demand for assets for content creators, and I know that the competition is huge (Adobe stock for example is a titan, I'm sure you know) if anything it would be great experience. I am confused though as to what in this business eats so much money. I thought 3000 or so would be overkill but you say that would not be enough? Why is that? Say I keep it as a small venture like what I am describing (a few hundred to maybe 1000 assets on the site) what is it that eats up all that cash?
The marketing. It's the chicken and egg. You have two kinds of customers each of which is probably only interested if you have a lot of the other kind. Photographers and customers.

Hiimmj15

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 5, 2020
Tennessee
The marketing. It's the chicken and egg. You have two kinds of customers each of which is probably only interested if you have a lot of the other kind. Photographers and customers.
Ahh.. okay that makes sense

DougRMR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 19, 2019
Wordpress is far and beyond a better host in terms of how customizable it is. It all depends on how you want to start the website out: do you want to launch the website with the stock photo library ready or start out with something a bit more basic and then build up?

Hiimmj15

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 5, 2020
Tennessee
Wordpress is far and beyond a better host in terms of how customizable it is. It all depends on how you want to start the website out: do you want to launch the website with the stock photo library ready or start out with something a bit more basic and then build up?
I have been working with it and WordPress is absolutely aweful! I am still trying to get it going but am considering trying a different platform. I would like to start it with the library ready, but by ready it could be just a few hundred assets ready, I don't need a maxed out memory storage haha, not right off anyways.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.