The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking for a chair for comfortably sitting long work hours. Any recommendations?

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Hi fellow fastlaners,

I'm sitting long hours at the computer almost every day.

Do you have any recommendations about the type of chair to choose?
Or advice as to which features to look for, what to avoid etc.?

I'd like to be comfortable, but also sit in as healthy manner as possible.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Pick up a secondhand Herman Miller Aeron. But make sure you pick the correct size for your build.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
I use a gaming chair. They are basically fancier office chairs, and they are specifically made for people who sit a lot in the same position. If you don't care about the cost, SecretLab makes amazing chairs.

Good features include adjustable back, adjustable height, and armrests. Make sure to look into the chair's size before buying one.

It doesn't matter how good the chair is if you never stand up and stretch / walk around for a bit every hour or so, so I suggest looking into that as well.

Last edited:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I found some good comfortable chairs here. You can check and go for the best one suitable to you. 8 Most Comfortable Office Chairs for 2020 (Reviews /Ratings)

Im VERY wary of any ‘top 10’ review type lists you find these days as most are simply created to game the system. They are either peddling their own wares (as in this case, but at least they admit it) or its full of affiliate links.

More often than not the list is in order of highest payout to the affiliate rather than a true subjective opinion (I’ve even gone through them to check).

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Youtube has randomly started recommending me videos of how to buy used hermon Miller aerons, maybe watch some of those video’s

CountMonteCristo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 10, 2015
Hungary
If you're not ready to pull the trigger on a $1000+ chair yet, the IKEA Markus is a surprisingly good budget option. I've been using one daily for 5 years and it's pretty solid.

Also, what really helped me to avoid back pain is regularly doing some Cross Body Mountain Climbers. Maybe 3 sets of however many you can tolerate, every few days or so. I honestly think no matter what you're sitting on, you're still sitting for 10-16 hours a day and that'll weaken your core and cause all kinds of muscle imbalances and postural defects.

With that said, I never sat in a Herman-Miller, so I'd be really curious to see what difference the best of the best makes.

Last edited:

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Whatever you buy, make sure you pick something for your build. I bought a great chair but it doesn't work for my 5'4 frame so it had to go back.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
I echo the recommendation to buy a gamer chair. I don't have one, but the two that I've sat in both made me say to myself, "WOW. THIS is a chair that's made for someone who sits all the time."

If you can, go to an office supply store where they have a bunch of chairs. And simply sit in them. See what they feel like.

Other thoughts...
  • A great chair can not overcome a desk that's at the wrong height for you. The height of your computer keyboard is especially important.
  • Even the perfect ergonomic setup is no substitute for your own posture. Sitting up straight, with proper back posture and head posture, is still a choice that you make by engaging your muscles. An ergonomic chair will foster good posture, but you can still sit slumped over, no matter how good your chair is.
  • Get up and move. Do not stay in your chair for hours and hours if at all possible.
Book suggestion: Deskbound. The authors claim that "sitting is the new smoking." Prolonged sitting changes the configuration of your back, which then adjusts your gait when walking or running, leading to you being more injury prone and contributing to an increased risk of all kinds of other illnesses. The authors claimed that the average kindergartner naturally runs and walks correctly. But by the end of first grade, after just one year of sitting at a desk, the average first-grader has unconsciously adopted an unnatural gait as the body is compensating for the adjustments to your bones & skeletal structure.

The authors of Deskbound are fitness trainers, and they give a lot of great exercises to help to strengthen your body in a way that helps to correct for prolonged sitting. This is a longer-term sustainable solution than simply choosing the right chair.

peterb0yd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 30, 2019
Apparently these are pretty good. Joe Rogan endorses them, they sent him some for his studio. It's on my wish-list when I have the dough to afford it.

I use a standing desk with a cheaper studio drafting chair. I aim to sit 60/40 to how much I stand. Works well.

NateKruse

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jan 13, 2018
Jacksonville, North Carolina
I use a gaming chair. They are basically fancier office chairs, and they are specifically made for people who sit a lot in the same position. If you don't care about the cost, SecretLab makes amazing chairs.

Good features include adjustable back, adjustable height, and armrests. Make sure to look into the chair's size before buying one.

It doesn't matter how good the chair is if you never stand up and stretch / walk around for a bit every hour or so, so I suggest looking into that as well.
I'll second this. I've had the SecretLab Titan for a few years know and it has been great for me. It's a little pricey at $400, but I can comfortably sit in it for hours.

LaneMan

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 4, 2020
Mauritius
I echo the recommendation to buy a gamer chair. I don't have one, but the two that I've sat in both made me say to myself, "WOW. THIS is a chair that's made for someone who sits all the time."

If you can, go to an office supply store where they have a bunch of chairs. And simply sit in them. See what they feel like.

Other thoughts...
  • A great chair can not overcome a desk that's at the wrong height for you. The height of your computer keyboard is especially important.
  • Even the perfect ergonomic setup is no substitute for your own posture. Sitting up straight, with proper back posture and head posture, is still a choice that you make by engaging your muscles. An ergonomic chair will foster good posture, but you can still sit slumped over, no matter how good your chair is.
  • Get up and move. Do not stay in your chair for hours and hours if at all possible.
Book suggestion: Deskbound. The authors claim that "sitting is the new smoking." Prolonged sitting changes the configuration of your back, which then adjusts your gait when walking or running, leading to you being more injury prone and contributing to an increased risk of all kinds of other illnesses. The authors claimed that the average kindergartner naturally runs and walks correctly. But by the end of first grade, after just one year of sitting at a desk, the average first-grader has unconsciously adopted an unnatural gait as the body is compensating for the adjustments to your bones & skeletal structure.

The authors of Deskbound are fitness trainers, and they give a lot of great exercises to help to strengthen your body in a way that helps to correct for prolonged sitting. This is a longer-term sustainable solution than simply choosing the right chair.

I've been standing up for the past year after I read this book, never went back to sitting.

When you first start, your knees might kill you and you'll probably lose productivity for about a week but then you adapt and you realize that standing up is actually more comfortable because it doesn't compress your diaphragm or makes your butt sore.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Like everyone has mentioned the best chairs right now are gaming chairs. You can see the one I have in my profile picture. The headrest ends above my head. I put a memory foam pillow on the chair for extra comfort and I can sit on it for more than 4 hours straight without pain. I've fallen asleep on it sometimes.

Last edited:

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to update this. There's been plenty of helpful responses in this thread so thank you again for that.

I ended up buying a standing desk seat at Ikea, after watching this awesome review:

I really enjoy this seat, it's been great so far and looks good too. Makes standing also much easier as you can lean on it or sit on it whenever you want.

And for the hamstring pain that I've previously acquired by sitting in the chair, some yoga helped remove it.

So right now I switch up between sitting in the chair, and using the standing setup with that cool seat.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.