The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Like eveyone else, need advice ASAP Fear of the "Slow Lane"

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
Let me begin by saying I apologize if this post is lengthy...

I have started a new organization, in the counseling field. I have created a product and have tested it with rave reviews. I built a website, advertised online, figured out SEO, and have even gotten a write up in the local paper. I know there is a nationwide NEED for the product but, I lack the funds (I think) to get it to market. I've exhausted all of my funds (I do have sparatic income from my other company and my fiancee' works full time but, her income is not enough to pay the "bills"). Credit cards are maxed, savings is gone but, even the local "buzz" is still deffening. I am very excited to get this to "Millonaire" status but, I don't even have the sub $25 to buy the book! (I did read the 3 free chapters, awesome read!). I too have longed to be independantly wealthy. I don't need a Lambo but, I don't want to "work" like my father has and will till his final day nor do I want my kids (I have 2) to have to live in poverty. I'd like to travel with my soon to be wife to far distant lands. I have been working on my initial company since 2007, having to "close" it several times due to the lack of income. This new organization, though, is something completely new and innovative. I've gotten feedback all across the mid-atlantic states from my product testing but, for some reason, can't "see" the next step. With fear of foreclosure and other pending detrimental issues looming, I am willing to do what ever it takes to make this work. I currently am only sleeping about 4 hours a day, the other 20 hours are devoted to networking, advertising, fine tuning the product, and selling personal crap on ebay to try to make ends meet.

If ANYONE can give me some ideas, pointers, direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Good, bad or indifferent, I'm all ears....

Thank you in advance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
idk what to tell you but Id like to say welcome!

best of luck in your endevors!

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
I suggest taking/getting a job, preferably in sales. With out a marketing budget or backing you wont make enough cash to survive.

Also is there a way you can start selling your product now?

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
I suggest taking/getting a job, preferably in sales. With out a marketing budget or backing you wont make enough cash to survive.

Also is there a way you can start selling your product now?

Thank you for your advice. I'm 36yrs old and have been in sales my entire "slow lane" life. I'm good at it but, hate it. I will if I have to.

I have started selling the product to rave reviews but, am having problems figuring out how to get it in front of a larger audience so it can start generating revenue.

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
You don't need a lot of money to market a product nowadays, use the social networking sites and forums to your advantage. Don't complain about not having money, it makes it sound like you're begging. I'm not saying you are, but it's something you never want to do because people won't take you too seriously. People don't care about you not having money because you chose to work on your fastlane, they care about the products you're marketing. If it's something useful, entertaining, etc, it will attract the money. Anyways, good luck man. I hope your product succeed.

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
You don't need a lot of money to market a product nowadays, use the social networking sites and forums to your advantage. Don't complain about not having money, it makes it sound like you're begging. I'm not saying you are, but it's something you never want to do because people won't take you too seriously. People don't care about you not having money because you chose to work on your fastlane, they care about the products you're marketing. If it's something useful, entertaining, etc, it will attract the money. Anyways, good luck man. I hope your product succeed.

I apologize if it came across as me complaining about being broke, I could care less because I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I was just looking for some advice/direction as to whether I should keep my nose to the grind stone getting the product/services out or swallow a little pride and get a job until I can see a regular, substantial income from it.

It's hard to determine where to draw the line, you never know when it's gonna take off, maybe tomorrow, maybe a year from now....

I have been using social media to get the product out, and that is where I've been getting tremendous feedback, as well as locally.

Thanks you for the insight, it is greatly appreciated!

Dutchy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Apr 20, 2011
London
Yes, tell us, but let me expand on this.

You will always risk having your idea stolen. ALWAYS. In fact, if it's successful, of course there will be people who will (try to) copy you and/or improve on your existing business. THAT'S LIFE. There's nothing wrong with it either. Just try to stay one step ahead of them. And how do you do that you ask?

There are few places that provide such valuable feedback as this very forum. There's a lot of successful people here, whether financially successful/wealthy, or "experience" wealthy, or both!

There's nothing to gain by being secretive in my opinion (yes, there may be exceptions) but 99 times out of 100, there's more to lose, because you don't get the feedback on where to improve!

Hope that helps :)

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
Yes, tell us, but let me expand on this.

You will always risk having your idea stolen. ALWAYS. In fact, if it's successful, of course there will be people who will (try to) copy you and/or improve on your existing business. THAT'S LIFE. There's nothing wrong with it either. Just try to stay one step ahead of them. And how do you do that you ask?

There are few places that provide such valuable feedback as this very forum. There's a lot of successful people here, whether financially successful/wealthy, or "experience" wealthy, or both!

There's nothing to gain by being secretive in my opinion (yes, there may be exceptions) but 99 times out of 100, there's more to lose, because you don't get the feedback on where to improve!

Hope that helps :)

Thanks Dutchy!

check out my website, let me know what you think, and the best ways of promoting this on a larger scale, with little or no money (unless I can attract investors). I haven't seen anything like this, and maybe I haven't done enough research but, I've had inquiries and interest as well as tremendous positive feedback across the Nation. Perhaps, some of you, here, can enlighten me a bit more.

Good, bad or indifferent, let the response fly! I'm all ears!

www.wearesavvysavers.com

*EDIT: I should have my book tomorrow! Very excited!

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
As someone mentioned, social networking can allow you spread the word on a shoestring.

Also, just now I made something up which maybe can be a very lucrative trick:)
Or they'll just turn you down, but you never know. THINKING BIG really matters and helps
with this kind of stuff.

Let's see...your aim are savvy buyers looking for a good deal. Or cheapsters as I call them:)
(search the word on net, a lot of businesses is in your niche)

Anyway, let's get down to business:

FACT 1:
It is very likely that these people are already getting their hands on coupons, promo fliers etc.

FACT 2:
You're somewhat established business, who had media exposure, raving reviews and keeps on going.

IDEA:
Collaborate with complementary businesses - that is - those who utilize coupons and promotions to sell.
Come up with APPROVED BY SAVVY SAVERS seal, and let them put it on any promotion - which you have approved of course.

This gives more weight to their offer as opposed to competitors, can bring in more sales, and costs nothing to try, so why wouldn't they?

And for you, it brings free exposure, so make sure to have your url on seal, or come up with some shorter url, so that people can type it, remember or recommend it.

BEST CASE:
It gives boost to your partners' sales, and you keep to cooperate. You maybe even start charging the process of testing and approving a promotion, you get the deal with Walmart or whatever:)

WORST CASE:
They tested it, it didn't work for them, but no loss either as it was FREE. And you got some free traffic and exposure anyway, so you can't lose.

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
As someone mentioned, social networking can allow you spread the word on a shoestring.

Also, just now I made something up which maybe can be a very lucrative trick:)
Or they'll just turn you down, but you never know. THINKING BIG really matters and helps
with this kind of stuff.

Let's see...your aim are savvy buyers looking for a good deal. Or cheapsters as I call them:)
(search the word on net, a lot of businesses is in your niche)

Cheapsters! LOL! I love it!

Anyway, let's get down to business:

FACT 1:
It is very likely that these people are already getting their hands on coupons, promo fliers etc.

This is true but, most don't know how to use the coupons, etc. to net out 50% - 70% savings, that's where my orgainization comes in, quite well too! Not too mention the fact that there is a certain TV show currently that depicts UNREAL savings to the nation, I dispell that in the Seminar.... EVERY person who's attended has loved that part of the training....

FACT 2:
You're somewhat established business, who had media exposure, raving reviews and keeps on going.

IDEA:
Collaborate with complementary businesses - that is - those who utilize coupons and promotions to sell.
Come up with APPROVED BY SAVVY SAVERS seal, and let them put it on any promotion - which you have approved of course.

This gives more weight to their offer as opposed to competitors, can bring in more sales, and costs nothing to try, so why wouldn't they?

And for you, it brings free exposure, so make sure to have your url on seal, or come up with some shorter url, so that people can type it, remember or recommend it.

BEST CASE:
It gives boost to your partners' sales, and you keep to cooperate. You maybe even start charging the process of testing and approving a promotion, you get the deal with Walmart or whatever:)

WORST CASE:
They tested it, it didn't work for them, but no loss either as it was FREE. And you got some free traffic and exposure anyway, so you can't lose.

Love the idea, I'll get working on it, straight away!
Thanks!

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Raise your price..

$10 bucks for a seminar on how they can save hundreds or thousands, please. Raise your price to 150 bucks.. Once a month, way to long.

Change it to once a week..

Tell the people that come that if you like what they see you will give them $50 bucks for referring their friends.

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
Raise your price..

$10 bucks for a seminar on how they can save hundreds or thousands, please. Raise your price to 150 bucks.. Once a month, way to long.

Change it to once a week..

Tell the people that come that if you like what they see you will give them $50 bucks for referring their friends.

Thanks for the feedback JackEdwards! Here's why I've priced it the way I did and why it is currently once a month:

1. Price - my target demographic is the low to mid income bracket (largest in the nation) these people are struggling on a daily basis, I priced it at $10 with $10 in savings (i.e. included coupons) to show a value while I'm still making money. If I had 100 people attend, that'd be $1000 an hour, with minimal cost involved.

2. Frequency - Just having launched the program, finding afforable venues to hold it has been tricky, plus, I wanted to test the waters and get feedback. I have contacted over 40 Churches in the 3 surrounding county's and am waiting to hear back from them. (soliciting churches seemed like a great way to find a cheap or free venue with guaranteed clients, plus, church people are very giving if the "church" approves of the program)

I do plan on holding the seminar more frequently and to larger audiences, I also am working on expanding the seminar into a series (I've had great feedback for that as well.)

Keep the comments coming! It's got my brain working overtime I LOVE IT!!

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
I get your lower income bit, the problem I see is that you are stuck in a round robin.. you cant advertsie cause you dont have the money, the reasons the venues are expensive is because once you throw in 10 bucks per person, it takes quite a few people to make money..

Church Idea is a good idea. as they have the venue and the people.

Have you tried asking the church for a set fee.. like 250 bucks, or something and they give you a day of the week and a meeting place and the people. If you got on the phone maybe you could book a 3-5 nights a week.

Just make a package on your site and call the church and walk them through it..

Humm. I like that idea..

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
I get your lower income bit, the problem I see is that you are stuck in a round robin.. you cant advertsie cause you dont have the money, the reasons the venues are expensive is because once you throw in 10 bucks per person, it takes quite a few people to make money..

Church Idea is a good idea. as they have the venue and the people.

Have you tried asking the church for a set fee.. like 250 bucks, or something and they give you a day of the week and a meeting place and the people. If you got on the phone maybe you could book a 3-5 nights a week.

Just make a package on your site and call the church and walk them through it..

I've only heard back from 1 church so far and they said it was going to board review next week but, they really liked the idea! I haven't been able to meet with any of them YET!

Humm. I like that idea..

Hey now! No funny business! :eusa_naughty: That's why I was hesitant on posting it! LOL!

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I think you could safely charge $50-100 and still have people come to the seminar. $10 is a price for a book. also, start a periodical. e-zine. mailing list. i see an rss feed, that's good. get the margins first, then worry about advertising.

Make more youtube videos. have a weekly tip. partnership is a great way to earn a little extra cash, and the more videos you have, the more likely you are to have a featured one. i'm a nobody and even i had a featured video. if you get a featured video (it's luck based, though, so don't count on it) you could have a flood of people getting in on your idea.

just some advice based on what i've seen.

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
get the margins first,

What do you mean by that?

Make more youtube videos. have a weekly tip. partnership is a great way to earn a little extra cash, and the more videos you have, the more likely you are to have a featured one. i'm a nobody and even i had a featured video. if you get a featured video (it's luck based, though, so don't count on it) you could have a flood of people getting in on your idea.

just some advice based on what i've seen.

Thanks for the tips! More youtube videos are in the works but, I'm not sure whom exactly I would partner with? Any suggestions?

I REALLY am loving this site and the people/ideas here! Keep em' coming!

lleone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Sep 7, 2011
New York
How many people do you have sign up on average for the seminar? The idea seems very good, however as MJ brings out, it's scale times magnitude and unfortunately you're going to need a lot of people to make this fastlane.

In addition to coupons, have you thought about services as well? I would look into something similar to the "Groupon" model but on a local scale. That is you can work with services like a local hair salon to bring in new customers where you get paid per new customer and they provide a discount to the customer.

Look forward to hearing more.

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
How many people do you have sign up on average for the seminar? The idea seems very good, however as MJ brings out, it's scale times magnitude and unfortunately you're going to need a lot of people to make this fastlane.

That's the thing, I had nearly 120 people RSVP but, NOT REGISTER for the last seminar. So initally I was super excited but the actual turnout was way less. I still get inquiries about it though, and there is definate interest still there.

My intentions are to hone the seminar, add additional offerings and go national - I believe erm... I KNOW there is a NEED for this information, I just have to continue to forge a "New Lane" or road as it were to get it in front of more people. The ideas offered so far are top notch, I love getting this feedback!

In addition to coupons, have you thought about services as well? I would look into something similar to the "Groupon" model but on a local scale. That is you can work with services like a local hair salon to bring in new customers where you get paid per new customer and they provide a discount to the customer.

Look forward to hearing more.

That is another exceptional idea! It reminds me of a seminar I went to years ago that partnered with local businesses. Not only did it lend credibility to the person giving the seminar but, it landed income for local businesses! Outstanding observation lleone!!!

I am continually blown away by this forum and the people here! I CAN'T wait to get my hands on this book! It will be here tomorrow!

trnkyit

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 7, 2011
Ardmore, OK
Great idea,

A few things.

1. I like the video on the home screen, however I don't like the idea that it links to other Youtube videos of the same theme. Your customers are finding other sources of information, and polluting your product.

2. The countdown clock is too long. I know you said you don't have time for more events, but it really needs to be weekly or biweekly. Think of it this way, people will be shopping NOW. They want to save money NOW. This would also make you seem bigger, more established.

3. There are some wording problems in the paragraph next to the video on the home screen.

4. Your not being consistent with your company name and how it's being written. Is it $$ or SS?

5. Ever think of selling on Amazon?

6. I don't think you can change it, but the name " Hackersmovie " bothers me at some level. I believe its your ebay account? Hackers .... Sounds like your going to scam me.

7. How are you going to combat piracy? When I see a disc I think copy, copy, copy...

Anyway, it's easy to rip apart someones work, so don't take my items to be discouraging. You've got a great idea and it will succeed.

Corey

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
Great idea,

A few things.

1. I like the video on the home screen, however I don't like the idea that it links to other Youtube videos of the same theme. Your customers are finding other sources of information, and polluting your product.

2. The countdown clock is too long. I know you said you don't have time for more events, but it really needs to be weekly or biweekly. Think of it this way, people will be shopping NOW. They want to save money NOW. This would also make you seem bigger, more established.

3. There are some wording problems in the paragraph next to the video on the home screen.

4. Your not being consistent with your company name and how it's being written. Is it $$ or SS?

6. I don't think you can change it, but the name " Hackersmovie " bothers me at some level. I believe its your ebay account? Hackers .... Sounds like your going to scam me.

7. How are you going to combat piracy? When I see a disc I think copy, copy, copy...

Anyway, it's easy to rip apart someones work, so don't take my items to be discouraging. You've got a great idea and it will succeed.

Corey

Quite the opposite! That's exactly the type of input I'm looking for!

1. I can fix the youtube video, easily - it'll be done tonight (I was thinking the same thing but, was being lazy...)
2. I'll change the countdown clock - I can schedule a seminar and no one show up... who would know?!?! LOL!
3. I'll double check the wording. (I find that funny though, I'm a bit of a prig!)
4. I've struggled with that, I'll have to make a decision and stick with it
5. I have not but, will now!
6. I can change it. I'll simply set up a new ebay account - I was using that for exposure and my positive rating but, I agree with the name issue
7. There's no real way around piracy of a tangible product, I was thinking of more of another stream of cash - I can easily set that aside

I all :ears: :ears: :ears:

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
Great idea,

A few things.

Done!

Done!

Not sure what you were referring to...

Fixed! I'm going with $$

Still looking into this, providing I don't decide to can the whole DVD thing

Fixed!

Corey

See number 5....

Thanks so much!!!

trnkyit

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 7, 2011
Ardmore, OK
Not sure what you were referring to...

Your correct, after I pulled from your site the following I understand. Your name is " We are $avy $avers "... and not just ' $avy $avers '.
The problem for me was the ' is '....

We are $avvy $avers is dedicated to helping people save 50%-70% on their normal weekly shopping bills.

Corey

trnkyit

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 7, 2011
Ardmore, OK
You know, you've got me thinking about this... now I can't sleep. This is perfect for a passive business.

1. You could create a master webinar and then let your customers view it and download course material after payment. That would allow your customers to get the content NOW, and feed that NOW demand. Its passive because you script it once and then sit back sell it over and over... It might even minimize piracy.

2. You could then offer a monthly ' live ' seminar that you'd price accordingly. ( read much higher )That way you only have to work once a month and the hook could be ' get your questions answered ' or something. You would probably find that customers who paid for the webinar would also come to the seminar... maybe offer them a discount or something...

I came to this, because I would like to take the webinar but I don't think I want to sit still for the seminar! That and I don't think I will have the at exactly 11days 16hours...

Corey

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
You know, you've got me thinking about this... now I can't sleep. This is perfect for a passive business.

1. You could create a master webinar and then let your customers view it and download course material after payment. That would allow your customers to get the content NOW, and feed that NOW demand. Its passive because you script it once and then sit back sell it over and over... It might even minimize piracy.

2. You could then offer a monthly ' live ' seminar that you'd price accordingly. ( read much higher )That way you only have to work once a month and the hook could be ' get your questions answered ' or something. You would probably find that customers who paid for the webinar would also come to the seminar... maybe offer them a discount or something...

I came to this, because I would like to take the webinar but I don't think I want to sit still for the seminar! That and I don't think I will have the at exactly 11days 16hours...

Corey

funny you mention that, I've had no less than 100 people say the same thing!

"Can I download the seminar?"

"If I start late, viewing the webinar, can I download it to get what I missed?"

"I'd love to attend but I'm busy at 2p.m. on such and such a date?"

I have a rough, digital copy, I could host the file myself and password protect it, I guess I would just set it up so when they paid, it would generate a unique password to allow the download, the download could also include the .pdfs of the printed materials...

I'll get this squared away and up on the website in a day or so!

Excellent idea!!!!

Then I could also, solicite feedback from those who download a few days later....

I feel like I'm merging into the FastLane!!!!!

trnkyit

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 7, 2011
Ardmore, OK
I have a rough, digital copy, I could host the file myself and password protect it, I guess I would just set it up so when they paid, it would generate a unique password to allow the download, the download could also include the .pdfs of the printed materials...

IMO, let them download the notes and course material, but don't let them download the video. I think you need to keep the video in an actual webinar, and control its views. Think of renting a video, you've got 24 or 48 hours...

I don't know.. others may think that's wrong, but I really don't like the idea of giving people the ability to easily copy it.

Corey

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
IMO, let them download the notes and course material, but don't let them download the video. I think you need to keep the video in an actual webinar, and control its views. Think of renting a video, you've got 24 or 48 hours...

I don't know.. others may think that's wrong, but I really don't like the idea of giving people the ability to easily copy it.

Corey

Nope, good point! What if payment allows them to only view the webinar but, download the printed materials? I can work that out....

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.