The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lightning & Scouts Fastlane Action Plan!!!

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
Alright guys, there is big news on the horizon, and it is finally time to enlist some of my Fastlane buddies for help! :cheers: (this will be a long one, so I don’t blame ya for turning back now! lol)

Recently, Ralph (user name here is Scout) and I have partnered up on what potentially is a “JOB KILLERâ€. It has taken me YEARS to find an idea I personally felt confident enough to pursue, and I am happy to say that the potential of this one is incredible. I am also happy to say that I have never had the fortune of working with someone with such similar ambitions, creativity, and drive, and I am confident that the combination of Ralph and my owns efforts together is a powerhouse recipe. :coolgleamA: After almost a year of casually kicking around the idea of going into something together, it feels great to be taking action. Using a unique idea and performing a rather simple service, we have decided to pursue a venture in the coming months with every spare moment we have.

Now, without giving away the idea (we are not going to do that “yet†;) ), I would like to give you a few details of the project, as we would love to get some feedback on the best way to capitalize on this idea (i.e., which direction is the most “fastlane†way to scale this).

The idea is for a service performed in one’s home, that will save the purchaser a great deal of money. Strictly for discussion purposes as an example, let’s say the idea is for a service that when performed on ones faucet, will save the owner 20% or more on their water bill. (AGAIN, this is NOT the idea, lol, this is just for discussion purposes). :)

Details:
-The service can be performed for the customer in their home by one man, in less than an hour

-The service requires specialized tools not generally “known†to the general public, with a cost somewhere between $2500-$5000 (think of a diagnostic scanner that an Auto mechanic uses. Although it is sold retail and available to the inquiring public, it is not something the general “Average Joe†homeowner keeps in his toolbox, nor would he know how to use it).

-The service requires no special education or skills, with the exception of having a customer-friendly personality (as they will in fact, be working in someone’s home). This means that our labor pool of potential candidates to hire as employees (for the operations side) is unlimited! (College graduates, non-college graduates, part-time job seekers, unemployed real-estate agents, etc.).

-The service will be performed like clockwork in a very mapped-out, organized, and efficient manner, which allows us to charge almost a 100% FLAT rate for each home. (With a few exceptions related to the homes size of course).

-The price-point for this service will be “somewhere†in the $79-$139 range.

-The market-base of this service is off the charts. ANYONE who is financially-conscious of their bills will be interested in this. (Like a plumber, it is not something 90% of home-owners can do on their own, and like preventative maintenance (fixing an old rusty pipe BEFORE it breaks), it is almost a guaranteed insurance to help someone SAVE money in the future).

Like Geico having the slogan, “15 minutes could save you $200 or more on your car insuranceâ€, we will have a slogan that says “For only $99, we will save you 20% or more on your water bill each month†(again, nothing definitive yet, just brainstorming right now).

Now, here is the kicker. As we are true students of MJ and the FASTLANE Lifestyle, Ralph and I have NO desire whatsoever to create a JOB for ourselves. So to scale this business, 90% of our efforts will be directed towards selling this as a 100% TURN-KEY BUSINESS FRANCHISE for others to purchase, which can be done ANYWHERE in the United States with NO experience, and VERY MINIMAL start-up costs. Our plan is to give THOUSANDS of people who dream of working for themselves the opportunity to purchase a Franchise that requires a very low-start up cost, and the opportunity to earn an UNLIMITED amount of money based solely on how hard they want to work.

We are currently preparing to begin work with an experienced and TRUSTED web designer who will be building us the site. The site will focus on 2 aspects. The SERVICE and Ground level OPERATIONS, (which, for the time being, Ralph and I will be operating ourselves simply to give us a “learning curve†so that we are prepared to teach OTHERS how to perform and market this service effectively, and the FRANCHISE, which we will be selling to aspiring Entrepreneurs who want to get their foot in the door at starting and running their own business.

-We are still researching and discussing the cost of the franchise, as well as the materials and benefits it will include. As of right now, it will start somewhere in the $6,000-$20,000 range, and will include:
-Your own web-page link (linked off of our master site of course), so as an example – LightningsPlumbing.com will become something like LightningsPlumbing.com/PHXMJ. This will include a cut & paste system with 75% of the businesses content already provided by us, and 25% of the content modifiable by each individual owner (including EXACT pricing, operating areas, contact information, etc.).
-A training seminar to get you started
-The Tools & Equipment needed to operate
-Various branded materials (work-shirts, business cards, clipboards, marketing materials, etc.)
-Access to an experienced consultant who will assist you in getting started for a designated time period every month, etc.
-Many other “perks†(possible marketing seminars to teach people how to effectively market their business, access to live demonstrations, promotional discounts, etc.)

As I said, our goal here is to turn this into a very profitable franchise, with us collecting a percentage of the profits from everyone who joins the company below us (To put more simply, this will operate in a LEGITAMATE MLM-type structure, where we are profiting from others working below us, and those below us are profiting from their own operations AS WELL AS the operations of those below them, etc. (with the important part being, NO ONE will ever be left at the bottom “holding the bagâ€, because even if you never recruit another soul to work for you or join the franchise, you still maintain your own business to run and operate yourself, standing on your own two feet). :) We will also have a GREAT referral program, so that owners not only have a motive to do well in their own business (performing the service), but that they also have a motive to RECRUIT OTHER ENTREPRENEURS TO JOIN! :) (The referral promise could be, “For every $9999 franchise package you sell, YOU will receive a NO-CATCH $1000 commission SIMPLY FOR HELPING US BUILD THE BUSINESS!

Now, Ralph and I have talked about more than I could possibly write about in a forum internet post, however I am hoping this will get us started. We are VERY excited to hear feedback from others on this idea, as well as ways to run this as efficiently as possible! PLEASE post any questions/comments/advise you have and we will be happy to respond!

IT’S TIME TO MERGE INTO THE FASTLANE!!!! :)

Thanks Guys.

-Mike (Lightning) & Ralph (Scout)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
From what I have read, it looks like you two really have something here. My only question is.. Have you asked any homeowners if they were interested in this kind of service?

Other than that I wish you two the best of luck and much success! :icon_super: :fastlane:

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Good luck, when you were talking about it i was thinking something along the lines of electricity efficiency. Plugging those scanners in to see how much draw appliances take up and things like heat exhaustion from windows. I know there a few companies that do those type of things. Either way good luck!

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
So its just a one time thing? If I get it done, I will never pay for it again, for the rest of my natural life as long as I don't move?

Kinsey6287

Blazin Fast!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 2, 2009
Sounds like some GREAT work and two very smart people getting their minds together to create a service that actually helps other people and not just themselves. That is the key to finding a true fastlane niche in my opinion. It can't be something that just satisfies you or your bank account, but something that the people really need and will seek out your help to get it.

I am sure you two have done a lot to ensure your success. However I do want to stress the importance of reasearching your potential customers. I recently dumped a boat load of savings into a great start-up company that I thought would benefit the people in the region I currently live. After getting everything in line, posting a website, paying for advertising, setting up my LLC, business was underway. I found out VERY quickly that due to not researching and finding out how my potential customers felt about my particular service I found myself kicking my own a$$ for throwing away all that money. The idea was a "Asset Documentation" service. Where we would come to your home and document all your possessions, including serial numbers, photographs of every room, every item in each room. Many people don't want to take the time to do this themselves and This way if a disaster struck, like fire, or a hurricane, all their assets were documented. Making the insurance claim a lot easier and getting the refund they deserved from their insurance company.

Well, it turns out that even though I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, other people don't really like the idea of having some stranger come to their house and know exactly everything they own. Looking back on it there is a little "Creepyness Factor" to the idea.

Moral of the story is that because I didn't do my research into my potential market, I basically flushed my money down the toilet. Please learn from my mistake.

And most importantly,.... GOOD LUCK!! All of us here are destined for great things.

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
Thanks for the feedback guys! :cheers: It is greatly appreciated!

To answer your questions:

We have done some research to see if there is interest in this sort of service, although there is alot more to do. The service we will be offering is not a new technology, however our research has shown that it is not utilized very often on the residential level (more so on commercial). The reason for this has been cost, however part of our idea involves a way around this, which is why we will create a "niche" for ourselves here. :smx1: Ralph and I are also both property (and investment) property owners, and this is something that caused a lightbulb :)coolgleamA:) to go if off in both of our heads, as it is something simple that we feel a good majority of homeowners would be interested in (especially considering our price-point). We will be doing some more research on this (extensive market research) in the next couple of weeks to confirm this.

It is not a service you would get done once in a lifetime, however it is also not something done over and over again throughout the year. It is more of a bi-annual service that you would do every couple of months. Our goal is to offer peace of mind to the customers so that they call us back for the follow-up consultations (or "check-ups"), as returning customers and referalls will definitely be an element of this businesses success.

Lighthouse, that is very different from what we will be offering, however I found it interesting that is what came to mind. :)

Thank you again guys, GREAT replies so far and we sincerely appreciate them! We will keep updating this thread as things progress so keep the comments and any and all questions coming!

-Mike and Ralph

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
No, its nothing even CLOSE to that. :)

This is 100% legal. There are no gimmicks here, and there are certainly no tricks. It is just a very, very creative idea, and something that most people would dismiss as being "too complicated to start-up". It is also something the average homeowner knows very little about, hence the interest it should generate.

Fortunately, both Ralph and I have been trying to find a "niche" for years, so we recognized the opportunity when we began discussing it. Now its just a matter of making it work.

On another note, I apologize for not getting too specific yet guys, and for not releasing too much information yet. Being that we are still in the planning phase of executing this idea, we obviously realize we are amongst a site of thousands of hungry entrepreneurs just like us, and have to be just a little careful in the beginning. ;)

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
Thanks everyone for your input, Lighting and I are excited about this one. The learning experience from it alone will be really exciting.

One of the areas I’m really curious to hear folks thoughts on is strategies to develop a MLM structure that is self sustaining and is free to grow at it's natural rate. I guess I’m asking if anyone has seen any lessons learned that kill off MLM or slow down their growth. More importantly any lessons learned that will make it a success.

If anyone knows any good books that outline the MLM busnises plan/structure that you found usefull in the past that would be a huge help.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
Going back through old posts, now that I'm back on the forum and wanted to close this one out. This project is on the back burner. Obama made some changes that killed the project.

One take away was due-diligence paid off, we had as one of our actions to review the new stimulus package the Democrats pushed through to see if it effected the idea and it basically killed it. We will keep it to ourselves for now, in case the power switches...

Davidla

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 30, 2009
Colorado, U.S.A
Going back through old posts, now that I'm back on the forum and wanted to close this one out. This project is on the back burner. Obama made some changes that killed the project.

One take away was due-diligence paid off, we had as one of our actions to review the new stimulus package the Democrats pushed through to see if it effected the idea and it basically killed it. We will keep it to ourselves for now, in case the power switches...

Thats too bad.
I just read the thread from the beginning hoping to see it develop into a "success story" :smxF:

It sounds a little bit strange though that the stimulus package killed it..

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

Wow, kinda shocked that 2 smart guys would come up w/something that didn't take this into account. I understand your not wanting to say what it is, so when things again change on the hill, you may be able to implement.

But there are so many other opportunities that have been out there in the past 2 years-- not sure if you've read my posts, but we've gotten more than a million dollars in loans (decently low interest) during this time-- and all b/c of how things changed.

Key is to always look at the game changing-- and capitalize on it.

My buddies who love to complain about who is currently in the white house have made more money this year on stocks and flipping houses than they have in any single year, ever. One of 'em has bought 21 houses since Feb of this year, and is making anywhere from $8K (worst case, happened twice) to over $50K per house, after all expenses-- and this is w/a 3-6 mo turnaround!

Look for opps. That's where the money is! :banana:

-Russ H.

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
Russ,
Thanks for the reply. I think you may have misunderstood us though. :) We actually did take "the hill" as well as the current economic condition into account, which is where the "idea" related to an "opportunity" arose. :smxB: Unfortunately though, when we began to delve in, a few things changed that foreshadowed us having a more difficult time implementing the idea at that point in time than we had originally planned (not just a speedbump, but an actual roadblock and detour). Turns out (as we cautiously slowed down a little), we were right.

Hard to explain, but the best scenario I can give is that suppose you and your Wife opened up a new Bed & Breakfast hotel in an area that was popular for tourists, but that hadnt been exploited yet. :) You had spotted opportunity by researching the market and surrounding areas, and you knew that if you jumped at the chance, you would have the opportunity to be FIRST into the market and become a leader in that region.

Well, suppose while you were in the middle of the remodel of the property, Obama announced that he would be opening up a free bed & breakfast in the same town as yours, that would offer almost everything yours would (and that you had KNOWN was a recipe that worked).

Unfortunately for us, we realized that the opportunity we had seen did not have as much potential given upcoming changes on the horizon, implemented by someone with MUCH bigger profits in the exact "niche" we were planning to exploit. Rather than trying to "get to California on a highway that heads east"-MJ, we decided to switch gears for now. We have not axed the idea completely yet, but as you and MJ have taught us, for now it is "worthless" as there is no action behind it. :thumbsup:

Fortunately as Ralph said, due dilligence here paid off as we were able to brainstorm amongst each other and come up with a few other ideas (opportunities!!) that have us just as excited. :cheers:

Thanks again for your replies and insight everyone! More to come :)

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
I have to agree, Russ. 2009 was our best year for our construction company by a mile. 2010 looks like it will be our 2nd best year ever.

For our Senior Living group, 2010 seems to be a huge year. The profits didn't come so much from operations as a great financing move.

If you can't see the forest for the trees, it's time to start selling trees.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.