Hi, I am new to this forum and am very glad to be here. I read the Fastlane and I am now following my dreams.
But I have a question. After reading Stephen Key's book Simple Idea and another book by Hervey Reese I am a bit confused about a particular point: Do I need a lawyer to review a licensing agreement/contract or not? Stephen Key says to have a lawyer review it, but Harvey Reese suggests doing it myself. Do licensee really sign right there on the spot like Reese notes, or it it a more drawn out affair like Key writes?
Harvey Reese suggests I have have a blank contract with me and have the company sign it on the spot like a purchase order. I could feel comfortable using the contract supplied by Reese (a simple fill in the blanks one which covers all the main points), but I find it hard to believe that a licensee would sign off on a license contract right on the spot without a lawyer looking at it for them, especially in this day and age. If I am wrong, great because then I could bypass the lawyers altogether, but I have a feeling that most potential licensee would have their own lawyers draft one up and that this is the standard procedure. In which case, I would feel more comfortable having my own lawyer reviewing the contract.
Any thoughts please. Thanks in advance.
But I have a question. After reading Stephen Key's book Simple Idea and another book by Hervey Reese I am a bit confused about a particular point: Do I need a lawyer to review a licensing agreement/contract or not? Stephen Key says to have a lawyer review it, but Harvey Reese suggests doing it myself. Do licensee really sign right there on the spot like Reese notes, or it it a more drawn out affair like Key writes?
Harvey Reese suggests I have have a blank contract with me and have the company sign it on the spot like a purchase order. I could feel comfortable using the contract supplied by Reese (a simple fill in the blanks one which covers all the main points), but I find it hard to believe that a licensee would sign off on a license contract right on the spot without a lawyer looking at it for them, especially in this day and age. If I am wrong, great because then I could bypass the lawyers altogether, but I have a feeling that most potential licensee would have their own lawyers draft one up and that this is the standard procedure. In which case, I would feel more comfortable having my own lawyer reviewing the contract.
Any thoughts please. Thanks in advance.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
