The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lets see how much I procrastinate

Idea threads
A

Anon3587x

As of right now I have:

1. A website plan
  2. VPS web hosting with LOTS of gigs
  3. SSL Cert
  4. My css for the website done
  5. domain name purchased and registered
  6. LOTS of food in my fridge
  7. Money on my credit card to handle any little expenses I may run into
  8. My internet connection paid for, and computer running smooth
  9. No class until Tuesday January 18th 2011
I basically have no excuse to not have a live Beta up by Tuesday. I figure if I post this, the shame of telling you all Tuesday I didn't do it will help me stay on track.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:
A

Anon3587x

Few things happened over the weekend;

I got my copy of TMF finally, I've been reading that.

I realized how many holes I had in my dynamic website creation literacy so I bought a 800 page book to fix that.

I've spent the last few days eyeing over every single page from start to finish, and doing every example the book says to.

So as of right now I'm working on these books which explain each and every little crack a web developer needs to know. The website will be up soon. I may not of hit my deadline but I have been working towards my goal one way or another religiously since I've made this post.

I'll be sure to keep this thread updated.

dowserman

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 18, 2011
Long Island NY
Hi Bateati,
Have you looked at the w3schools.com website? They have tons of info on web design. I have been using it myself alot lately. (I am the volunteer webguy for 2 non-profits - 1 is a hobby club and the other is my church)

livebig

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
May 23, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I too would love to know if you have had any progress. And curious... what is the name of the book you are using?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Good job working on something. Question though. Why do you have a VPS and SSL and all that before you have a website to put it on? Why not just develop it locally, then buy what you need when you are actually ready to go?

darkjediii

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 8, 2010
Washington, DC area
Good job working on something. Question though. Why do you have a VPS and SSL and all that before you have a website to put it on? Why not just develop it locally, then buy what you need when you are actually ready to go?

Yeah I was curious about this as well. You should be able to use shared hosting and scale up to your requirements later on after you generate enough traffic.

A

Anon3587x

The book I'm using is called "Headfirst, PHP & Mysql"

I'm only able to create limited databases with low privileges on a shared hosting account. I don't want to deal with that bs.

It's more convenient and easier to pay for the VPS hosting. It's only around 35 dollars more. Plus I can get a real feel for how my new hosting company will handle server problems.

The main issue I ran into when I was gungho to have it done by Tuesday. Was I lacked the proper knowledge of setting up a user login with a password and all the bs that comes with that.

I was having problems pulling information from my database, displaying that information and setting up search algorithms.

This stuff is fairly easy to do when your just doing examples. But for me, programming it all for my own just turned into a headache. I rushed through everything, and didn't know exactly what I was doing nor what each script really meant.

I want to feel confident in my programming skills. My site should look organized and the code should look clean.

If it means postponing the launch a few weeks so be it. I'm getting it done one step at a time.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
The book I'm using is called "Headfirst, PHP & Mysql"

I'm only able to create limited databases with low privileges on a shared hosting account. I don't want to deal with that bs.

It's more convenient and easier to pay for the VPS hosting. It's only around 35 dollars more. Plus I can get a real feel for how my new hosting company will handle server problems.

The main issue I ran into when I was gungho to have it done by Tuesday. Was I lacked the proper knowledge of setting up a user login with a password and all the bs that comes with that.

I was having problems pulling information from my database, displaying that information and setting up search algorithms.

This stuff is fairly easy to do when your just doing examples. But for me, programming it all for my own just turned into a headache. I rushed through everything, and didn't know exactly what I was doing nor what each script really meant.

I want to feel confident in my programming skills. My site should look organized and the code should look clean.

If it means postponing the launch a few weeks so be it. I'm getting it done one step at a time.

If you can't get data to show right yet, dont even think about search "algorithms" ( i imagine you mean FULLTEXT searches). You are thinking way to ahead. Start with basic functionality and go from there.

Also, I have no idea what your talking about creating limited databases with limited privileges. On a shared host or even installing WAMP on your local machine (which is what i would have done) you can create as many DB's as you would ever need and you will have full permissions to make any request s to them possible. Not sure where you are getting your information from. Just a thought it would be better to save that money that your are spending while the server is dormant and put it into marketing later when you are ready to roll.

A

Anon3587x

I can get data to show, but when it came to complex scripts where I was pulling from multiple databases/tables it was just overwhelming and looked sloppy.​
I bought the vps hosting expecting to have the site up in a week. I do agree it's pretty obsolete now . My hosting company offers a 45 day money back guarantee, I'm going to have them switch me over to a shared server where I'll have 3 months paid instead of 1. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I do all of my testing with XAMPP anyways.​
My last hosting company wouldn't let me do squat on a shared server without consulting them. Which made me timid to buy it again. But that was a 18 months or so ago when I was still messing with wordpress sites. They probably red flagged my a$$ so I wouldn't crash the hard drive.​
My Algorithm won't be using full text searches as of right now. I'm setting it up to where you check what you want, and it matches you with the members of the site who checked the same thing at registration in your area.​
I say this under the impression that a full text search is when you type what you want google style, and are returned results.​
Anyways any other suggestions or comments you may have are appreciated.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I can get data to show, but when it came to complex scripts where I was pulling from multiple databases/tables it was just overwhelming and looked sloppy.

I bought the vps hosting expecting to have the site up in a week. I do agree it's pretty obsolete now . My hosting company offers a 45 day money back guarantee, I'm going to have them switch me over to a shared server where I'll have 3 months paid instead of 1. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I do all of my testing with XAMPP anyways.

My last hosting company wouldn't let me do squat on a shared server without consulting them. Which made me timid to buy it again. But that was a 18 months or so ago when I was still messing with wordpress sites. They probably red flagged my a$$ so I wouldn't crash the hard drive.

My Algorithm won't be using full text searches as of right now. I'm setting it up to where you check what you want, and it matches you with the members of the site who checked the same thing at registration in your area.

I say this under the impression that a full text search is when you type what you want google style, and are returned results.

Anyways any other suggestions or comments you may have are appreciated.

I find this similar to writing a page of code and spending hours trying to fix a stupid error. Another programmer checks out my code and spots the errors instantly because I was over looking simple functions.

Ahh yeah most shared servers it wont matter too much. But you'd rather not be blowing money out the door until you have a working product, then you can get it on a VPS or whatever and roll it out. Almost everything can be done locally on wamp or xamp or whatever you use unless you need SSL support and all that. Even then im sure there is a way to use self sign certificates with open SSL locally.

FULLTEXT is a search protocol for mysql. Its a basic yet powerful internal search algorithm that will match search strings, it is not programmable though. I didn't realize you were talking about stitching other data together. When i think algorithm, i am thinking in terms of stores and returning better product results.

My advice, start from square one with the Lynda courses for programming. Think your project out logically from there using what you know with the language, then just start writing it out, testing and changing it along the way. If you start jumping ahead without mapping it out or understanding where you are going, you will just have a mess on your hands.

A

Anon3587x

I definitely know what you mean. When you first sit down its
"okay now where do I start?"

A

Anon3587x

I'm still chopping away at this persistantly.
I just added some new features/applications into the mix which make me really excited.

There is still a whole bunch of work ahead of me, but just getting the site up and working as I 'envision' it will be a great accomplishment for myself.

Even though right now I don't have a website up that generates a huge amount of traffic and creates nice revenue gains. . . I feel like I do.
I'm working towards a great goal I set for myself, and I'm actually able to put all the business philosophy I learned from this forum and other sources to use.

I look forward to showing you guys the site soon.
(hopefully is measures up to everything I'm making it out to be)

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I'm still chopping away at this persistantly.
I just added some new features/applications into the mix

I hate to sound negative, but this can end up being the start to the end of your project. It happens to many coders and coding projects. You end up having too much going on before the main functionality is up rolling and secure and stable.

Focus on your core purpose, get a working model of that before you even begin coding on anything else. The features wont matter if your product doesn't work.

Good job on the continued work!

A

Anon3587x

I hate to sound negative, but this can end up being the start to the end of your project. It happens to many coders and coding projects. You end up having too much going on before the main functionality is up rolling and secure and stable.

I suppose it would be wise to hold off on the javascript untill my site is functioning. Which is what I meant by applications.
As far as new features go, I had to revamp a few things because my website is going to be what I originally had planed (with a little meat cut off) as well as a online market place e-bay style. I won't change the model anymore.

I say my main issues now are database/site security (because I'm paranoid).
Keeping spammers away.
Giving certain privileges to certain accounts (just because I have zero experience with this right now)
& intellectual property.

A

Anon3587x

I feel like a fool for thinking I was going to get this done in the time frame I originally specified.

I didn't know nearly as much as I thought I did. I've been spending most of my time reading programming books and messing around with codes/scripts.

Davidla

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 30, 2009
Colorado, U.S.A
I feel like a fool for thinking I was going to get this done in the time frame I originally specified.

I didn't know nearly as much as I thought I did. I've been spending most of my time reading programming books and messing around with codes/scripts.

As you can see I've created a new logo (avatar)

My landing page is basically done.
My login scripts are working
My database is close to being finished and normalized.

There were times when I felt helpless, this programming shit can be pretty overwhelming. I am trying to tackle a lot at once.
I can't wait til the system is in place and my main job becomes advertising.

As for now I still have alot of typing away to do before I let you guys tear through my site and give feedback (in which I hope is soon!)

Looking forward to see your website! dont let us down :smxB: (just building up some more external expectations to fuel your motivation)

I just read this thread and I understand exactly what you are talking about - I am going through the same stages: learning how to code in php and sql, sitting hours through the night solving "stupid" code problems, and going through a lot of learning curves :smx4: (learning how to create a logo was a complete NIGHTMARE for me!)

I am sure your efforts will end up priceless in one way or another.

I definitely agree with Lighthouse (and executing it myself now with my business aswell): Get the "beta" of the product up as soon as possible, and later on work on additions and ideas.
Other than the obvious reason of turning the project into a much more managable task this way, you will also start recieving data and feedback from customers - and this feedback might turn you towards completely different directions than what you anticipated.

Keep on rockin!

++speed for all the work!

A

Anon3587x

I know all about "stupid" errors.

Many nights have been wasted because I had a . where it should of been a ,

or I put a ' ;} instead of ' };

Having a great understanding of how the if else statements work make the process way easier.

A

Anon3587x

** TIP FOR PROGRAMMERS!**
I find it way easier to create the CSS for your site, with all the links of pages you know need applications. Then go through and knock em out 1 by 1.

This method helps me keep track of what is done, and what I need to do.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
** TIP FOR PROGRAMMERS!**
I find it way easier to create the CSS for your site, with all the links of pages you know need applications. Then go through and knock em out 1 by 1.

This method helps me keep track of what is done, and what I need to do.

What do you mean?

A

Anon3587x

Basically do all the visual coding for your site. Have all the links in place as if they worked, but lead no where.

EX

Edit Profile, Profile, Buy Listing, Sell Listing, Contract Agree, Privacy Policy etc...

Then start adding the applications and information for each. It really helps keep track of progress and stay on track.

Problem of the day

If somebody buys a listing on my site. They are essentially paying the site to send them the listers contact information and to take the listing down.

Is there a way I can trigger those events to happen with PayPal AFTER the payment is made? Preferably with multiple listings if that is what the merchant paid for?

Can anyone give me a basic rundown on how I'd make this work using a combination of
PHP, MYSQL, and PayPal? Or maybe some Javascript if I had to?

A

Anon3587x

UPDATE:

I find myself finishing huge portions of my site just to decide I don't like it and end up deleting it all.

Sometimes I have wasted much time screwing around with CSS bs when I should be pounding away at core functions as lighthouse suggested earlier in this thread.

So I decided to make a real rough mockup beta of my site concept, without any flashy functions so you guys can tear it all apart and help me create the site according to markets needs.

This version will be finished much sooner and is intended to be a very rough draft of the final product in order for me to gather early feedback.

A

Anon3587x

For the most part my site is finished, still cranking out a few little bugs.
I spend a lot of time reading about programming instead of working on the site, which keeps causing the delays.

I'll think to myself okay now I need to do this and I end up reading about how to do it. This soaks up so time and energy, but I've been consistent.

I spend a lot of time re-reading chapters and going to the book store to go over a few things.

I suppose it slowly but surely is paying off, as I will always have these skills and maybe my site will do well.

After I have some people run through my site, give me feedback, I'll make the improvements and then print one thousand flyers and walk into each business in my city and hand em out.

My site will be free to use, and I just want the listings in my area to be packed. Hopefully I can gain some traction that way and see what happens from there.

Whoever said this was a process WAS NOT lying. :p

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.