The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Let me introduce myself

Hunt4Unicorns

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 11, 2020
Estonia
Greetings fellow fastlaners! I'm a young, soon to be 22 year old, dude from Estonia.

I would like to tell you my story from the very beginning up until now, so you would have a better understanding of my current situation.... So here goes!

I would say it all started at a very young age. When I was around 3 - 4 years old, I remember my dad standing at the door in his uniform. He stood tall with a cool camo covering his body and a big bag over his shoulder. He was going on an operation. At that time I really didn't understand what was going on. I just knew that dad was going to be away for a very long time. Knowing this, me as a 4 year old, I took my stand as a man. A promise to myself that I will be the man in the family. I will get and be as strong as I can to protect myself and my mother. We said farewell to my dad, hoping that I would see him again one day. What I did not know was that dad wasn't just leaving to go on a mission. He was leaving us. Me and my mom to stand for ourselves.

At this point you might be thinking that he died, but for clarification, he is alive and well to this day.

During the last year of kindergarten my mom met a man online. Soon after we would move to live with him almost on the other side of the country. And so I started my first grade with new peers.

Sidenote: From kindergarten to first years of primary school I was very much the center of attention. Often straightforward and not afraid to say how I felt. For my courage at that age I got recognized by my peers and often pulled in many directions, because I was "cool".

Things would "drastically" change however. During my 4th year in primary we moved back (yes, stepdad came as well). At this time I cut off a lot of my friend connections because I could tell they weren't going to move anywhere in life. It wasn't hard, I just did it. But with that I also crawled up in a ball and cut off myself from making new connections. I dived deep into myself, sitting behind a computer for the next few years, not really communicating much with peers outside school.

For 7th grade, we moved again. Back to where stepdad lived. It's where I finished highschool and am today.

People didn't recognize me anymore. I had girls come up to me telling me "You're not the same" or "You used to be cool". Nevertheless I still played video games most of my free time.

From 7th grade I also started to get bullied. I was awkward. I didn't know how to communicate with people because I hadn't been doing it for years now. I was disconnected. And so my journey of self-improvement began. It all started with working out. I started watching youtube videos of guys transforming their bodies and getting stronger. I was hooked.

For the first 3-4 years of working out I didn't really know what I was doing. I only trained specific body parts and not my full body. Later getting remarks such as "NICE BICEPS!"

From working out it became mental masturbation. What ?! Mental masturbation? ... Yes. I started looking at motivational videos. Not just ones that tell you to work out, but ones that tell you that you can do "Anything you set your mind to". For years I was following the SCRIPT . But I knew there was a way out. I just didn't know what or how.

After highschool I went to University to study Software Development because "You can make a lot of money doing so" and it was very much expected of me by my family as they are all well educated people (mostly teachers, but also engineers). During my first year of university I was pulled into selling educational books door to door in America. I felt a drive again. "Yes! This is it! If I focus on this then I'll sure make good money and live well."

During the preparation period we were encouraged to read a lot of books on mindset, selling and self-improvement. Which is when I found one of the big golden nuggets. I read Carol Dweck's "Mindset". And I realized that with enough hard work and determination, combined with the right mindset can yield great results.

Fast forward to me flying off to America. From the beginning I'd had a weird feeling in my stomach. A disbelief in the amount that we were asking for the value we were providing with these books. A disbelief combined with my bad communication skills meant I was failing miserably. At the same time I had barely any contact with my at the time girlfriend. After a hard week, I was at a breaking point. I was either going to go all in or quit. Funny enough during the weekend I started getting mixed signals from my girl. She wasn't sure of our relationship anymore. And so I decided to quit because I felt that the relationship was far more important to me than "making some money". The timing on this :rofl:.

After getting back home, we broke up of course. And I was f'd up. I had to start working on myself harder than ever. But this was just followed by a lot of mental masturbation again. Soon depression followed. I was running back and forth between school and job, while knowing I wasn't making any steps toward the "Dream Life". During my last year of University I quit. I was done. If anything was going to make me move toward my goal of being a FASTLANER , it had to be burning the boats. Obviously this was somewhat of a silly choice, but I wouldn't be here today, if it was't for that decision.

I had seen "Millionaire Fastlane " in a library once and it got my interest, but combined with the awareness of all these fake gurus out there and these "self-help" books that talk about get rich when you are 60, I thought it was another book promoting some hocus pocus that really wouldn't help me. If you ask me why I got this impression of the book at first glance, I would have to say it was the title. All these GURUS talk about "Get rich fast" and "Become a millionaire by tomorrow", while we all know it's just like reading a fairytale to a kid.

During my free time from school, I've been trying to figure out my next step. Only to find a person I look up to recommend the book "Millionaire Fastlane ". So I decided to buy it. I read it and was hooked on the idea but never really took any action. During this free time I was also exposed to the short read "Wealth EXPO$ED". I bought it and read it. Still no action though. Now just recently I was just like "F it, I'm going to buy Unscripted on audible and see where it takes me". To be honest, I have to also buy the physical book because @MJ DeMarco , the book is Gold! It's too hard to internalize all this in just one go. Specially in the audio format.

Now I'm here to suck in all the information I can, but not just that. This time I plan on taking action and not just fantasizing on the idea of success. I'm ready to try, fail, learn and try again.

I also want to finish this off with a little touchy touchy part. I'm here because I have to do this for my mother. I can see that she is suffering and I want to bring her some ease. She keeps telling me that me and my brother are her world. And that she'll go through the pain just so that we can live better lives. She doesn't have much. Maybe it's because she got me at a young age. Maybe it's because my dad left when I was 4 and I haven't seen him for over 10 years now (he was never there, he never tried to be).

At the end of the day, there's no point in pointing fingers. It is what it is, and I need to do my job as a son, as a man, to prove that you can do more with your life than just sit in a cubicle for 50 years.
"A promise to myself that I will be the man in the family. I will get and be as strong as I can to protect myself and my mother."

If you read all of it, I thank you. I hope that we can help each other grow to new heights and make this community a worthwhile experience.

Cheerios!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Incredible story thanks for sharing.

I'm here because I have to do this for my mother.

Strong purpose my friend, strong purpose.

Welcome aboard. Tell your friend "thanks" for the recommendation.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...