The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Learning to code - the next step to starting my business!

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

TrevorPrice

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 8, 2020
Michigan
Hey, all! Just thought I would keep you guys updated on my progress with my business thus far.

For starters, I used the WADM to determine that it was probably a better option for me to learn to code myself rather than outsource it. I used money and time as my two biggest factors when determining what to do and I rationalized that I'd rather learn a new skill and spend little to no money doing it than pay however much it would cost a web developer to make a website.

I just picked up a copy of "JavaScript & JQuery: Interactive Front-End Web Development" and I am working through chapter 1 today. So far, so good. I am, admittedly, a little overwhelmed at the moment because I just want to get this business off the ground, but I understand it is a process and I'm willing to endure what I have to to make sure this goes as smoothly as possible.

If you have any further advice for me please feel free to comment!

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Hey, all! Just thought I would keep you guys updated on my progress with my business thus far.

For starters, I used the WADM to determine that it was probably a better option for me to learn to code myself rather than outsource it. I used money and time as my two biggest factors when determining what to do and I rationalized that I'd rather learn a new skill and spend little to no money doing it than pay however much it would cost a web developer to make a website.

I just picked up a copy of "JavaScript & JQuery: Interactive Front-End Web Development" and I am working through chapter 1 today. So far, so good. I am, admittedly, a little overwhelmed at the moment because I just want to get this business off the ground, but I understand it is a process and I'm willing to endure what I have to to make sure this goes as smoothly as possible.

Thanks!
Hey Trevor,

for learning how to code I recommend you checkout this thread: EXECUTION - F*ck it, i'm learning to code

As for JavaScript & jQuery
jQuery is a bit old and its not very popular lately.
Alot if not most frontend/fullstack devs have moved onto JS frameworks such as React, Vue.js, Flutter or AngularJS.
Thats not to say that jQuery isnt useful, but its not as relevant as it used to be.
That being said, jQuery is still king when it comes to having JS scripting on pages where speed is the most important metric.

If you want to know a bit more about app speed, some basics, check out this thread: Speed is what you need

I`ve been a developer for about 12 years so if you have any questions, post them here, happy to help.

TrevorPrice

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 8, 2020
Michigan
Hey Trevor,

for learning how to code I recommend you checkout this thread: EXECUTION - F*ck it, i'm learning to code

As for JavaScript & jQuery
jQuery is a bit old and its not very popular lately.
Alot if not most frontend/fullstack devs have moved onto JS frameworks such as React, Vue.js, Flutter or AngularJS.
Thats not to say that jQuery isnt useful, but its not as relevant as it used to be.
That being said, jQuery is still king when it comes to having JS scripting on pages where speed is the most important metric.

If you want to know a bit more about app speed, some basics, check out this thread: Speed is what you need

I`ve been a developer for about 12 years so if you have any questions, post them here, happy to help.
Wow, thank you so much! I will definitely check these out! I am just getting through chapter 2 which is just the basics of the JavaScript language, so maybe what you’ve recommended will go nicely with those basics being under my belt now. I’ll give you a follow and I’ll be sure to let you know if I have any questions. I’m trying to do it on my own as much as humanly possible because I feel like it’ll be 1. more satisfying and 2. nice to have a new skill that I can use.

Thanks again for the information!

CoolNerd

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 17, 2020
Europe
You can't go wrong with learning the basics of Javascript, since the basics (variables, conditions, loops, switches, functions, classes, ...) are almost identical throughout all programming languages, and you need to understand those to move forward.

Agree with this, it's the future of web development. From personal experience, I recommend Vue.js for web. It's been designed to be easy to learn.

TrevorPrice

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 8, 2020
Michigan
You can't go wrong with learning the basics of Javascript, since the basics (variables, conditions, loops, switches, functions, classes, ...) are almost identical throughout all programming languages, and you need to understand those to move forward.

Agree with this, it's the future of web development. From personal experience, I recommend Vue.js for web. It's been designed to be easy to learn.
Sweet, thanks for the info! Not that I’m trying to take the easy way or anything but I think right now I just want to be able to get the website up and still learn to code along the way so I can fix issues that might come up.

I’ll definitely look into Vue.js!

kleine2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Sep 15, 2013

Thanks!
Hi Trevor, I've been a software developer for 20 years.
In addition to what was mentioned about jquery being pretty old and unpopular.
You might want to look into taking an online course.
You could get these on a lot of different sites for a very low cost (I am talking spending around $50 not much more).
The advantage over a book is that it gives you a structure to learn in.
What is really important in learning to code is getting the hands on experience, so having exercises and doing them and then someone talking through how you could have done them can be very valuable compared to reading a book.
My 2 cents.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.