The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Learning from the Aurora Colorado Massacre: Applying the OODA Loop

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Which is most. They might have thought it through 100 times in their head, but they are purely unprepared (in most cases) for counter maneuvers. Any time you can switch from defense to offense, forcing your opponent to switch from offense to defense... you start his OODA Loop over again, and you are already in your progression.

It won't ward off every possible situation, but the discipline is relevant to many aspects of daily life.

I hope you guys and gals enjoyed this series, and I hope that some of you put it in to practice.
Well said.

"
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth."
Mike Tyson

I'm just drawing on personal experiences. Experiences that have no reason to be brought up here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Blend in a bit of Krav Maga. Make it instinctive. In Krav, the muscle memory from the exercise repetition becomes reflexive. Most of the students of situational awareness can't turn it off and on... it's just "on." It starts out fun, and ends up as somewhat of an obsession. As someone stated above... where you sit, running through your mental checklist, the routes that you take.

Some people in Aurora, Colorado took evasive action and lived to tell their stories.

"Mike Tyson better have a bigger plan if he's gonna punch me in the mouth." - Vigilante, 2015

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
"Mike Tyson better have a bigger plan if he's gonna punch me in the mouth." - Vigilante, 2015
Just an fyi. I posted the quote in regards to the attacker having a plan..and that plan being thrown off by countermeasures. I wasn't referring to those of us who prepare for the situations.

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
I hope you guys and gals enjoyed this series, and I hope that some of you put it in to practice.

Thanks alot for this, @Vigilante. Really appreciate it.

I've always kind of walked around in a state of 'heightened alert', but this will help me be more cognizant of the process I need to go through mentally and the need to act quickly.

Good stuff!

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
One part of prior planning is to understand your own limitations. If your not a strong ground fighter make sure you stay up and vice versa. just an example. but plan plan plan. Run simulations mentally all the time. Plan for the worst possible scenario. Run it through your mind every which way . Mental preparedness is just as important as muscle memory and can streamline the OODA process. Good write ups Vigilante

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
Thanks alot for this, @Vigilante. Really appreciate it.
+1
Run simulations mentally all the time. Plan for the worst possible scenario.
This.

When my brother was hospitalized, everytime I visited him I had to walk through a loooong hallway.

People coming from the opposite direction saw me, and we had eye contact from a distance,
but when we met in the middle and our ways crossed, the majority of them
would just look down at the floor in front of their feet.

If I had have bad intentions, I could have easily jumped them. EASILY.
Those douches who "play" the so called "knockout game" are looking for such folks.

It's a sad fact, but most people are walking through life with blinders on.

PS:
Tyson vs Vigilante.....
What would your entrance song be, @Vigilante?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
I've been reflecting on the horrific events that just happened in Paris, France, and I got to thinking about what I would do in that situation.

Do you guys think that the OODA Loop could have been utilized?

Or do you think in that type of situation there is just nothing you can do?

I'm curious as to what some of you would have done in that situation (whether in the restaurant or the concert hall), besides pull out your gun and clip 'em.

The people/ hostages in the concert hall may have been frisked before they went in or had their bags checked, so may not have been able to carry their handgun with them. Would like your thoughts.

@Vigilante
@ryanbleau
@Jake
@FastNAwesome
@jon.a
-- anyone else

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I've been reflecting on the horrific events that just happened in Paris, France, and I got to thinking about what I would do in that situation.

Do you guys think that the OODA Loop could have been utilized?

I'm curious as to what some of you would have done in that situation (whether in the restaurant or the concert hall), besides pull out your gun and clip 'em.

The people/ hostages in the concert hall may have been frisked before they went in or had their bags checked, so may not have been able to carry their handgun with them. Would like your thoughts.

@Vigilante
@ryanbleau
@Jake
@FastNAwesome
@jon.a
-- anyone else
These were multiple well armed and trained criminals. I would fall on Mrs Jon and play dead.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Of course.

Once again, read the stories from some of the survivors.

Many people thought initially it was part of the show.

That's a bad read (stating the obvious).

Where were the exits?

Where were your seats?

Were you in the middle of the row?

Were you on the end?

Did you take immediate and decisive action?

The action planning started BEFORE the murders started. The first O in the OODA loop is OBSERVE.

One girl laid motionless and tried not to breathe. For an HOUR. She lived. She laid in the BLOOD of people next to her.

Nothing is foolproof, and when it is your time to go, it's likely your time to go.

However, you can improve your survival chances.

You can read it in the stories of the survivors. Many didn't survive by accident.

For some, there was absolutely NOTHING they can do. If you are directly in the line of fire.

However, I would add to that... if you study Krav Maga you wouldn't accept that as inevitable either.

In Krav, you learn how to disarm the immediate threat. In some circumstances, you can disarm the immediate threat.

Again, it is hard to generalize. Some people were going to die. Some people were safe. For some, it could have gone either way... and those are the people where the OODA loop may have been beneficial.

In Aurora Colorado, they also thought the murderer was "part of the show."

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok

chadahr01

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jun 6, 2015
Upstate NY
However, I would add to that... if you study Krav Maga you wouldn't accept that as inevitable either.

In Krav, you learn how to disarm the immediate threat. In some circumstances, you can disarm the immediate threat.

Thank you for the thread, I've heard some of the info here but not all.

I am a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I have always hoped that in a situation like these, I would be close enough to an attacker to close distance and put hands on them. I've started carrying a knife also, to hopefully lessen any struggle and chance of attack after initial contact.

In Brazilian Jiu Jitsu tournament, as well as pretty much any mutual combat, it's the person who executes their gameplan better that wins.

The person who's attacking has some kind of plan, you should too. If you're able to disrupt the attackers plan, please do so, you might even make the news.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
If i know im going to be in a situation where i am "unarmed" or patted down I do carry a ceramic straightblade as well as a metal ball point pen. Heavy ring or carabiner on my keychain as well. Never far from a weapon. Where were the fire extinguishes located? easy diversionary tactic . And there is always the use of a human shield. When it comes down to it I would do everything to get home to my kids.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany

In europe almost no one, except people with a hunting license, even own a gun.

Either trying to escape early on or play dead..

Living in Germany, I actually avoid driving with the train to work since that happened in Paris. Costs me a bit more to drive with my car but I avoid to frequent the Munich main station at the moment.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
The CEO I work for recently taught me about the OODA loop and it's been really amazing at how this one framework made so many things "click" for me. In particular, about how dangerous it can be when you are just taking action and making decisions without the first two parts of the cycle.

It puts the phrase "take action" into context for success.

Thanks @Vigilante for hopefully bringing this to the attention of some other people. Hopefully it makes it click for them too.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I think I did a podcast show on this also. I will look for the link tomorrow.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
Want immediate training in the OODA loop?

Consciously drive around a few busy blocks after work hours. Try to be mentally 'ahead' as much as 3 seconds of all the cars and people around you at one time.

We're very conditioned to drive. Like walking into your favorite store, it's something we do constantly and become less aware. Even pulling out of your own driveway, you've probably not noticed an oncoming car, person running, or child on their bike.
  • We take every single red light for granted when it's stopping cross traffic you're about to drive through. Before you start to go at Green, observe the speed of the cars on your left and right. Are their bumpers aiming more towards the ground? Does the fender gap seem to get narrower towards the front tire? Are the driver's eyes up and alert or looking astray?
  • We take every single car behind us for granted, knowing they'll stop before they hit us. When we're stopping, most of us focus on the car ahead of us. Why not look through their windshield to see if they have enough room to stop, too? What about looking in your rear view mirror to make sure there's not a truck barreling towards you with screeching, smoking tires? Do you have a shoulder you can swerve into, if needed?
  • We take every single oncoming car for granted, knowing they'll stay in their lane. Watch the double yellow lines in the middle. You'd be surprised how many tires cross it every single day from cars moving in either direction.
Consciously driving is very difficult. Using the OODA loop to plan for the car who is about to pull out in front of you... might save your life, or theirs.

Did you know?
Driving in the middle lane on the highway is the safest. You can steer left or right when needed. Also, always exit behind a semi truck on the off ramp, never in front. An eighteen wheeler is conditioned to use off ramps when their brakes don't work.​

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
Bumping this thread. Always a relevant thread.

I try and implement this in my everyday life.

No phones and headphones in public really helps. That alone puts me above most people.

Here is a video of college students not applying the OODA loop (video works, not sure why thumbnail doesn't pop up):

Dude with a shotgun just chilling in the library and no one notices. And then after he shoots it takes the students about 6 seconds to flee.

Here is my favorite video of someone applying the OODA loop:

He observes three guys entering his garage.
Orients himself... these guys are up to no good.
Decides to pull out his gun and shoot when the crooks open the door.
Take action on the decision he made.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.