The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Launch strategy for brick motar shop

Marketing, social media, advertising

sammich!

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Oct 29, 2014
Hi guys,

I will be opening my café in less than 2 months time. What are some good launch strategy for café?

Are there any books out there that talks about retail business launch strategy?

I tried google and mostly people focus on online business.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mark Anthony Le

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Nov 29, 2011
NY, New York
Have you read MJ's book? You're violating the commandment of Scale.

What's different and what magnitude are you providing

TheNextTrump

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 7, 2012
Omaha, NE.
What’s your current plan of attack?

I mean, if you have a (set) date as to when you’re launching your business, I would assume you already have a pretty good idea of what you’re going to do.

If not, simply reading a (launch strategy) book isn’t going to magically build your business.

However, with the right approach this forum has the answers to everything you need to know. Just have to dig for the gems. Good luck.

sammich!

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Oct 29, 2014
Have you read MJ's book? You're violating the commandment of Scale.

What's different and what magnitude are you providing

Yes I finished them in less than a week. I know internet is the best scale and magnitude business but its not my strength.

I might not be a fastlane millionaire through this business venture but I that is not my primary target. Of course its great to be a millionaire but Im looking it as a first step to get out from the slowlane.

My objective to scale it is to franchise it or open more branches. The operation is not very skill oriented so I could hire people to run the operations. Something like starbucks where you only need to hire baristas to operate the coffee machines.

Internet business is not the only scale commandment although it is the best vehicle.

Instead of getting online traffic now Im looking for marketing stretagy to launch my café and get traffic to my shop haha

sammich!

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Oct 29, 2014
What’s your current plan of attack?

I mean, if you have a (set) date as to when you’re launching your business, I would assume you already have a pretty good idea of what you’re going to do.

If not, simply reading a (launch strategy) book isn’t going to magically build your business.

However, with the right approach this forum has the answers to everything you need to know. Just have to dig for the gems. Good luck.

Yes I already have the whole thing in plan and look for a shop. After getting the shop, I will work on getting the stuff and foresee everything to be complete and launch in less than 2 months. The planning everything is done. It just needs execution.

Now Im thinking ahead what kind of launch strategy I could do to get the hype. My shop will be dead if I just start and wait for customers to come. Btw I have my target to university kids as the shop is located directly infront of an apartment where students stay.

The shop is a place for them to hang out and chill just like starbucks

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
Well, I would hope that if you are 2 months from opening you would have a pretty detailed path/plan for how you are going to expand and grow your cafe. One thing that a lot of brick and mortar business owners have problems with is scale, because they get stuck in the rut of working in their shops 24/7- if you want to eventually franchise your cafe, I think one of your priorities should be to ensure that you do not fall into that same rut. Make sure you have good management- that way you don't have to be in your cafe all day, everyday.

I know of a few guys who own franchises and do things like "first 100 people in line get a years worth of product for free"- this particular friend owned a burrito franchise (similar to chipotle) and he did the first 100 people in line got a years worth of burritos for free, and his opening day was huge. Pass out flyers, post on social media, get signs/billboard, a custom wrap for your car advertising your cafe. The ways to advertise are limitless. The number one thing is getting people into your door- once they do that, as long as your product is good they will come back.

sle3pyguii

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 19, 2012
Hi guys,

I will be opening my café in less than 2 months time. What are some good launch strategy for café?

Is there anyhing that your cafe does differently compared to the others? What's your selling point?

G

Guest3722A

Hi guys,

If you don't have a place yet for it, I would be hitting up every single multi-level business building out there looking to see who doesn't have an in-building cafe.

sammich!

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Oct 29, 2014
Is there anyhing that your cafe does differently compared to the others? What's your selling point?

My selling point would be letting the the university/college kids hang out on a cozy environment with games and acitvities that they can play while in the café for free. Stuff like board games, cards, play station and would add stuff n the future depending on the customers interest. Im prepared for a change in my business depending on the market like a true entrepreneur spirit.

Current concept is something like a party house where instead of kids inviting their friends to their house for a party, they do it small scale in my café.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
You realize students are broke, right?

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
www.mocalocacafe.com
A friend's coffee shop chain, it took him 10 years to go from one coffee shop to 8 now ( not bad at all )
His marketing strategy is upscale/ quality coffee house ...( see the pics ).... He uses bus ads mainly, calls his newest coffee a "lounge "" ( the latest coffee shop has alcohol permit ) maybe he will go that route for sll of them to attract happy hours gatherings
Hope it will help

sammich!

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Oct 29, 2014
You realize students are broke, right?
LOL!

Yeah they're not rich but definitely can afford what Im offering. Especially those dating couples who just want to look for somewhere to hang out. That's the concept I have in mind.

Also I don't target every students as there are broke students and also students who can afford to spend. I don't need to cater to every students as my shop would be able to fit everyone. "Slowlane" I know.. but that is for a start.

I wouldn't be doing anything if I keep giving my self an excuse that its not perfect yet. I have to start somewhere.

sammich!

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Oct 29, 2014
www.mocalocacafe.com
A friend's coffee shop chain, it took him 10 years to go from one coffee shop to 8 now ( not bad at all )
His marketing strategy is upscale/ quality coffee house ...( see the pics ).... He uses bus ads mainly, calls his newest coffee a "lounge "" ( the latest coffee shop has alcohol permit ) maybe he will go that route for sll of them to attract happy hours gatherings
Hope it will help

Thanks for the share!
10 yrs.. wow.. not a short period but considering he has 8 chains I think that's not bad. But I think if we don't look at the money side, Im sure he's happy with the journey he went through.

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
One thing i might add, keep the identity of your coffee a bit open, so you can attract a wide range of people.... If you market it as a " student place " you are cutting all other possibilities, yet you are not sure if the students concept will be a viable one. Maybe the mothers on maternity leave will be your primary clients?? ( something i observed in one of my friend's coffee shops )

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi guys,

I will be opening my café in less than 2 months time.

Is it just me or did everyone expect that he had a place leased already? I don't see how you can lease a space and renovate it and be ready in 2 months. The leasing process itself will take at least 2 weeks. Then you need to get insurance before they even touch the inside.

I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to see your estimated monthly expenses and projected gross income. Just curious as to what you think you can make with a coffee shop.

Trivium iz rC

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jan 23, 2014
@sammich! I think first you need to give us a better explanation on the location of this business (City, Rural) Is it on a main street? Is there a lot of foot traffic? What's the population in the town? Have you gotten licensed/permit yet by your state food/beverage department? How many SQ/FT are you leasing out? Is it in the US or Abroad?

Do you have proper signage in-front of the store saying Grand Opening " Blah Blah Blah Coffee Shop on Blah Blah Blah Date"

What kinda of model do you think is best for that location? More of a Starbucks (High End Cafe w/ wifi, leather couches and work/leisure) or Dunkin Donuts (Fast Paced Coffee Shop, Customers are In & Out).

What's going to be on your menu? [Hot & Ice Coffee (House, French Vanilla, Hazelnut, Dark Roast, Decaf), Ice/Hot Lattes, Cappachinos, Smoothies, Lemonade, Ice Tea, Ice/Hot Chai, Breakfast Sandwiches, Bagels, Muffins, Donuts, Scones]

I'm in the coffee shop business. You can make money in the Coffee Shop business your selling the biggest LEGAL Drug there is Caffeine.

I could list a lot more things but i'll let your answer the above so hopefully I can help you out.

sammich!

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Oct 29, 2014
Is it just me or did everyone expect that he had a place leased already? I don't see how you can lease a space and renovate it and be ready in 2 months. The leasing process itself will take at least 2 weeks. Then you need to get insurance before they even touch the inside.

I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to see your estimated monthly expenses and projected gross income. Just curious as to what you think you can make with a coffee shop.

The shop is post for rent due to previous tenant cant continue the business (different business than mine). So the basic stuff is already there. Its not a newly built shop. I don't intend to do a major renovation. Just get the equipment I need and some small touch up and Im ready. Its the lean startup rule where you start with a MVP.

Im not sure about the insurance thing. Im not from USA by the way.

So far I calculated the monthly expenses will be around 3-4k and projected gross income about 6-9k. Not a millionaire thing I know but better than my current situation. That is why Im focusing on doing a good launch to get the name out there.

If I don't do good marketing and launch the expected gross will be 0. :)

sammich!

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Oct 29, 2014
@sammich! I think first you need to give us a better explanation on the location of this business (City, Rural) Is it on a main street? Is there a lot of foot traffic? What's the population in the town? Have you gotten licensed/permit yet by your state food/beverage department? How many SQ/FT are you leasing out? Is it in the US or Abroad?

Do you have proper signage in-front of the store saying Grand Opening " Blah Blah Blah Coffee Shop on Blah Blah Blah Date"

What kinda of model do you think is best for that location? More of a Starbucks (High End Cafe w/ wifi, leather couches and work/leisure) or Dunkin Donuts (Fast Paced Coffee Shop, Customers are In & Out).

What's going to be on your menu? [Hot & Ice Coffee (House, French Vanilla, Hazelnut, Dark Roast, Decaf), Ice/Hot Lattes, Cappachinos, Smoothies, Lemonade, Ice Tea, Ice/Hot Chai, Breakfast Sandwiches, Bagels, Muffins, Donuts, Scones]

I'm in the coffee shop business. You can make money in the Coffee Shop business your selling the biggest LEGAL Drug there is Caffeine.

I could list a lot more things but i'll let your answer the above so hopefully I can help you out.
Hi Kosta,

It is in the area where there are few apartments rented by students studying in a university nearby. About 50-10mins on foot to their university and less than 5 mins on foot to my place. I don't know the population in town but the population of students are few thousands as it is a national university. Im not from the US.

I haven't got the license for the FnB but in my city, the licensing is sometimes slow depending on your luck and I cant afford to pay the rent while waiting for them to process the license. So what we usually do is operate before getting the license. If unlucky they will issue us a summon.

Its great to know someone who is in the coffee business or FnB business. Hope to learn from your sharing.

My café will not be selling coffee but fruit juice, pizza and sandwich for a start. Im not a coffee expert but I have plans to learn brewing and include coffee once Im establish.

I was once a student in the university so I know it can be quite boring at times especially at night students will want to find a place to hang out doing projects or just spending time with their friends. My business model is not on the food itself as MJ would call it commodity but in the experience of the café and providing a good time for the students.

What do you think?

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
Yeah they're not rich but definitely can afford what Im offering. Especially those dating couples who just want to look for somewhere to hang out. That's the concept I have in mind.

There's your idea right there. If this would be a great date spot you should try out some advertising on the popular dating websites and apps. Could be a great way to market directly to your target audience.

Just shooting from the hip but maybe some Sunday or after football or another sport game day specials, nothing like coffee for helping out with the hangover. You could print up flyers on the cheap and either pass them out yourself or hirer some other college kids to pass them out for you. At my school the football games always drew a huge crowd and there were always kids passing out flyers for various concerts, events, bars, etc.

Hope this helps and wish you the best. Also make sure you pick your location carefully, I have seen alot of decent businesses go under because they picked a bad location. Trying to save too much on rent can sometimes end up as a penny wise dollar foolish decision.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
So far I calculated the monthly expenses will be around 3-4k and projected gross income about 6-9k. Not a millionaire thing I know but better than my current situation. That is why Im focusing on doing a good launch to get the name out there.

Questions...
$6000-$9000 gross a month - $200-$300 a day, seems too low. Only 60 $5 sales a day? You are talking 3-5 sales an hour on the high end.

$3000-$4000 a month
Does this include: Rent, Utilities, Employee Salaries, Cost of Goods?

Number just seems low to me. What are your hours? I assume this is a late night spot? Open 18 hours a day?
I can't see how you could get $4000 a month renting a retail spot, utilities including wi-fi and pay employees and include cost of goods.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
I love the idea!

It seems like you have the right entrepreneurial spirit too!

Flyers do wonders! I would definitely suggest doing flyers.
Also if you can hire one of those people who hold signs, I would do that. Get him/her in an awesome costume though. Maybe a coffee cup?
Coffee-Beanery-Inflatable-Costume.jpg

Then I would also figure out a way to make it fun for people to snap pics while they're at your place and post them via social media.
This is something you have to think of but it may be a photo booth or a statue to take pictures with or whatever... The more out of the box and hip the better. This will help create word of the mouth.

I honestly think if you do those 3 things I just listed right, you'll be able to get some good business!

Some other ideas:
Discount for checkins ! Have someone show you they checked in via FB or Twitter or foursquare, give a free refill.
Meetup.com - find some cool meetups going on and offer to host it at your place with discounted coffee once a month

From someone who doesn't own a coffee shop:
It seems like the recipe to success isn't so much really great coffee but, it's creating really great customer service. The better the customer service, the better the enviornment is that will get people coming back.

It's more than just hello and thank you. It's recognizing your daily customers, creating conversations and building relationships with everyone that walks through that door.

This sounds really lame but If I were you I would literally close my eyes and envision what walking into the perfect 'hip' coffee shop would feel like. Whos at the counter? How do they great you? What type of music is playing ? etc

Good luck! Please keep posting progress in this thread I would love to stay up to date with what you're doing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.