The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Language Learning Strategies

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
I am learning Portuguese these days and using two popular apps: Duolingo and Memrise+essential grammar book and speaking/writing/listening native speakers.

Since we have a group of very smart international people here I was wondering if you have other strategies/tactics to learn a language in a very efficient way.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
OP
OP
Olimac21

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
OP
OP
Olimac21

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
As long as 'immersion' includes being forced by necessity to use it yourself. I've met people who moved overseas and have been 'immersed' in a language for 10 years and can't speak a word of it.
Hahaha I think thats what he meant. Thats also true some places you can go and you do not get the language because everyone speaks english (Sweden-Netherlands for example) or you just hangout with people that can speak your same native language.

Bon Appetit

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 19, 2018
Paris, France
+1 for duolingo and memrise. I heard about MosaLingua app also which might interest you.

+1 for immersion, but you need to get contact with locals people, otherwise don't expect to do any progress

Also, there are app where you can find language partner, go for language exchange in the app store or play store.

A last word about learning new language, it's a process which need consistency. Schedule your time to practice regularly. Enjoy !

OP
OP
Olimac21

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
+1 for duolingo and memrise. I heard about MosaLingua app also which might interest you.

+1 for immersion, but you need to get contact with locals people, otherwise don't expect to do any progress

Also, there are app where you can find language partner, go for language exchange in the app store or play store.

A last word about learning new language, it's a process which need consistency. Schedule your time to practice regularly. Enjoy !
Thank you! I believe the app you are referring is called "Tandem" right? I have been using it and is gold, especially if the language you are trying to learn has very friendly people to practice with.

I agree with consistency for me so far it has been a journey of 3 weeks with at least 1 hour per day of practice and I can already see a huge progress.

For those attempting to learn languages also, it helps to get rid of the mindset "I am not good at" you probably did not have a proper why or your method of learning sucked in the past, but now you can do it!

Joaquim

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Feb 19, 2018
BE
When single, find yourself a girl who speaks that language. There is no better way to learn it ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom