The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • NOTICE! If you received MULTIPLE EMAILS from the forum today, please be advised that our monthly email system got caught in a loop and inadvertently might have sent you several emails. The problem has since been fixed and all Unsubscribe Requests will be processed within 24 hours.
  • It's back! As an INSIDER you can now SORT any thread by LIKES. See this post for more info.
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The C.E.N.T.S Framework outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED®). From multimillionaires to digital nomads to side hustlers who are grinding a job, the Fastlane Forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses with one goal in mind: Freedom— both financial and temporal.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

OFF-TOPIC Kindle?

yveskleinsky

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 26, 2007
What do you guys think of the Kindle? Fad or wave of the future? What kind of effect/affect do you think this will have on bookstores and/or magazines?

Kindle: Amazon's New Wireless Reading Device
Other products by Amazon

"This is the future of book reading. It will be everywhere." Michael Lewis, author of Moneyball and Liar's Poker.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000FI73MA/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_img?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1"]
[/ame] [ame="http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000FI73MA/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_img?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1"]
[/ame] ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000FI73MA/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1"]720 customer reviews[/ame])
Price:$399.00 & includes FREE Two-Day Shipping. See Details
Availability: In stock on December 17, 2007. Order it now.
To ensure delivery by December 24, choose FREE Super Saver Shipping. Read more about holiday shipping. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Kindle Availability
Due to heavy customer demand, Kindle is temporarily sold out. Because we ship Kindles on a first-come, first-served basis, please ORDER NOW to reserve your place in line. See availability messaging above for estimated in-stock date. Note that Kindle cannot currently be sold or shipped to customers living outside of the U.S.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

JScott

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2007
A couple thoughts:

- The UI and the hardware design have a long way to go before it will be readily accepted by typical (i.e., non-geek) users. If Amazon wants this thing to have a chance, they'll need to snatch a couple UI designers from Apple and start over.

- The concept is good and Amazon has gotten a couple of the major user issues just right. For example, not forcing users to pay for wireless connectivity, or do any technical setup. It's nice to see the big tech companies finally starting to think about who their typical users are (or will be in 10 years).

- While Amazon seems to have tried to design for the masses, they've ignored many of the features that would be most utilized by the early-adopters (the geeks). For example, the ability to send e-books as gifts to other users, the ability to share reviews, etc.

- If Amazon were really smart, they'd allow users to order other Amazon merchandise from the Kindle.

All-in-all, it's a good first product, and if Amazon is smart and diligent, they will ship a couple more iterations with major design improvements before another company (Google?) decides to enter the fray and build an open-standards version.

Unfortunately, I don't think Amazon is smart or diligent, so I would imagine that someone else will perfect the idea (and sell a lot more of these) before Amazon can get it right.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Interesting name. When I saw the title of this thread, my only thoughts were kindling for fires.

I like the concept. I was wondering when someone would finally pull it into a user friendly interface. $400 is a bit steep though. They'll have to get it down to less then $100 and maybe near $50 for me to even consider it.
Also it must have a way to download any form of ebook. Word adobe, whatever's out there.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Tons of readers around, fact is paper is easier to read than online or on a screen, thus why newspapers are still around.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
The kindle has some sort of paper screen. Its suppose to be easier on the eyes. Anyone used one that could elaborate?

CRBFL

New Contributor
Oct 9, 2007
Very cool product, but I must say I agree with JScott: Someone will grab this before it blows up and do it much better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom