The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Keeping A SaaS Platform Free Initially And Adding Subscription Once It Has Enough Traffic

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

adnans

New Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Jul 18, 2020
UK
For reference: my platform is similar to these services:

Should I implement a subscription system like them from the very start, or should I focus on getting traffic first keeping the platform open?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

THR

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Feb 10, 2017
UK
Should I implement a subscription system like them from the very start, or should I focus on getting traffic first keeping the platform open?

I've been through this with a few SaaS businesses and I'm doing it again with another at the moment.

I'd recommend building your paid subscription implementation from the start. At the very least you should have pricing tiers visible and allude to upcoming features.

There are multiple reasons for this approach.

Firstly, the "perpetual freebie users" are generally awful users and not something you want to attract. These users will never spend money with you, even if your service is brilliant in every way, and they will moan when you restrict/remove free tier features. There is a (small) argument to be made that before you have any real traction any voice is useful, although in my experience this is rarely a consideration, unless you are in a race to build the next Tiktok.

Secondly, the value perception of your service is incredibly important. It's hard to understate this. You may have a segment of users who are willing to part with $ for a service, but as soon as you introduce it as a free offering then that's how it will stay in their mind.

Thirdly, parting with $ - however small an amount - is an incredibly strong signal from your users. That means you are doing something useful which can be turned into something larger, and you can charge more for it. For example, we offer a $9 tier which is really just the gateway drug to our $59 tier.

The final point is that you should start it now because subscription logic is hard and will take you longer than you expect, although this varies with the platform. Apart from anything else the headache of collecting VAT/Sales tax (particularly with the EU's place of supply rules) will take you some time to implement.

Good luck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.