The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

IMPORTANT! Keep your PRIVATE MESSAGES... Private!

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Folks,

When you get emailed a forum notification of a PRIVATE MESSAGE in your forum inbox, you must respond via the forum. DO NOT HIT REPLY from your email service.

If you hit REPLY from your email system in response to your private message email, you send back your reply to a forum administration account (support -AT- Fastlane) where the conversation can be seen by anyone here, including myself.

And worse, your recipient NEVER sees your response! So they think you're blowing them off!

DO NOT REPLY BY EMAIL
to your email notifications of private messages. (It should be clear because hitting "reply" sends the response to support - AT Fastlane, but I guess it isn't.)

Go to the forum and reply. Keep your private convos private!

Thanks!
MJ

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

G-Man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 13, 2014
And remember kids, there is actually no such thing as a "private" internet message.

Last edited:
  • Admin
OP
OP
MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Also of note...

If your email address is BAD / BROKEN / UNDELIVERABLE and you are using the PM system, the bounced-back email will come to the forum admin account, and hence, expose your last conversation.

Keep your email address current!

UnrealCreative

It's Only The Beginning.
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Sep 20, 2016
San Juan
MJ,

In order to deter people from responding PMs in their email, why not set up a mailbox like "do-not-reply@thefastlaneforum.com" ? Or, at least add "Do Not Reply" in the subject line of email notifications sent to users?

• Admin
OP
OP
MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Because the forum's software is not set-up that way. If I change the email to "do not reply" (a non-existent email) then all forum email would go there as well, including any email sent via the "Contact Us" link. They've tied in the forum's main administration email into the email system. Just one of the many reasons why I've started looking elsewhere beyond Xenforo.

UnrealCreative

It's Only The Beginning.
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Sep 20, 2016
San Juan
Because the forum's software is not set-up that way. If I change the email to "do not reply" (a non-existent email) then all forum email would go there as well, including any email sent via the "Contact Us" link. They've tied in the forum's main administration email into the email system. Just one of the many reasons why I've started looking elsewhere beyond Xenforo.
That's gotta be extremely frustrating...
And there isn't any sort of extensions to Xenforo to change this?

*If there was an emoji for banging your head against the wall, it'd go right here.*

ZF Lee

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Folks,

When you get emailed a forum notification of a PRIVATE MESSAGE in your forum inbox, you must respond via the forum. DO NOT HIT REPLY from your email service.

If you hit REPLY from your email system in response to your private message email, you send back your reply to a forum administration account (support -AT- Fastlane) where the conversation can be seen by anyone here, including myself.

And worse, your recipient NEVER sees your response! So they think you're blowing them off!

DO NOT REPLY BY EMAIL
to your email notifications of private messages. (It should be clear because hitting "reply" sends the response to support - AT Fastlane, but I guess it isn't.)

Go to the forum and reply. Keep your private convos private!

Thanks!
MJ
Thanks for the notification. Noted.

I'm pretty surprised that Fastlaners fall for this slight error. I mean, what's the Start a Conversation button there for then?o_O

Oh no..... that means you read all of my xxx messages???? :eek::innocent: :halo:
To be frank, MJ can read all my messages as he like. I ain't got anything to hide. :innocent: :halo:

• Admin
OP
OP
MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Bump.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom