The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Kansas Woman Makes Money Selling Tumbleweeds

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
Kansas woman wanted to learn html and how to make a website. She made a mock website that advertised tumbleweeds for sale as a joke, but now she's laughing all the way to the bank because she gets orders for tumbleweeds every day.
http://prairietumbleweedfarm.com/

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/246633/Kansas_Woman_Makes_Money_Selling_Tumbleweeds

People began emailing the site wanting more information on the tumbleweeds. Yet, Linda didn't believe she would sell enough to make a decent living. That is until she began receiving an average of 15 orders per week, making her annual income around $40,000.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/tumbleweeds-for-25-dumb-business-ideas-you-wish-youd-thought-of.html

Other wacky business ideas that somebody, somewhere had the spare time to think of:

• Wigs for dogs: Why should Britney Spears get to have all the fun with her crazy wigs? Check out "Wiggles," the premier wigs-for-dogs website. Wigglesdogwigs.com/products.

• Perhaps inspired by Linda Katz’s tumbleweed emporium, Curious Country Crafts sells, among other things, bags of dirt ($11.95 each), dried ornamental grass ($12.95, marked down from $22!), bags of skipping stones ($9.99 each, also marked down – but a bargain when considering pet rock prices), and yep, tumbleweeds. Their tumbleweed prices range from $15.99 for a Baby Tumbleweed, to $42.99 Gigantic Tumbleweed.

• Roadkill Teddy: If you’re bored with the standard teddy bear, then what about purchasing your very own plush roadkill animal? Twitch the Raccoon is the first spawn from the weird minds of the folks at Roadkill Toys (roadkilltoys.com). Twitch is an adorable stuffed plush raccoon, just like so many others, except that his eyeball is coming out of his head and he’s got plush intestines splayed about him. Complete with sense of humor, the site lists Twitch’s obituary, including his date of birth (and unfortunate death by road squishing), and other interesting facts.

• What about the guy who charges parents $10 to write a letter "from Santa" to their child? For ten bucks, Santa’s "helpers" will mail the request to Santa at the North Pole (where he has an actual address!), and he’ll stamp them and send them to your precious angels. Even better, there’s a page on the site (complete with a photo of Santa clutching a fistful of cash, I kid you not) where you can become an affiliate of Santa’s and make money bilking stupid people, too!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Maybe I should sell an allergy bouquet. Hmm...

Yes, this finely arranged assortment of premium Canadian grown weeds and wonders are uniquely beautiful, and have many great uses! Leave a bouquet draped elegantly across your porch as a mystical ward to drive off salesmen, Mormons, and your mother in law!

Give one to your boss!

There are literally thousands of creative and practical uses you can come up with!

Allergy Bouquets are shipped over night and guarunteed to arrive ready to release their fragrant payload the next day!

NEW! Hypo-alergenic Allergy Bouquets! If you want to use the ward but you find yourself repelled by it (See how great our product fits your needs?) then you're in luck. Our special, patent possibly existing spray turns a regular Allergy Bouquet into one that is over 75% less likely to assault your senses!

(I think this idea has come up before...)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I give ya "Thanks" but i don't have the buttons installed yet, so how about some speed?

Allseeingeye

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jul 17, 2010
This is a clever story, I actually just emailed the people to say thanks and asked if they would come along and post some more stories about their clever but unusual business.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
A

Anon3587x

I actually thought about selling "california" dirt
I think it would sell.

If someone in france was selling french dirt for 14.95 shipping and handling including I would prob buy it lol.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.