The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Journey to $50k/monthly [On track to $20k/month]

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

prady

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Apr 11, 2019
Hi, thanks for sharing your journey.

I am also in the process of testing DropShipping business model.

Would be great if you can share tips on how to find good suppliers.

Right now, I have the option of AliExpress - but the shipping time is about 21 -30 days. Your shipping time seems to be a lot shorter, which means you are not using aliexpress?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
New Member=check!
Click bait thread title=check!
Haven't read the book = check!
Give obscure general information you can find on youtube = check!

Here comes the shitty sales pitch for a course after 10 pages....

This shit is getting tiresome by these internet marketers. I find that a lot of people here are just spamming their courses. If you are going to sell a course or information at least be upfront about it. We all know the routine here, give free value and then ask for money later..

@MJ DeMarco I hope the mods keep these kind of posts in a separate category. It's ruining the experience and learning. I am pretty sure it is affecting other wantrepenuers as this leads to shiny object syndrome.

Minus9

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Aug 30, 2018
New Member=check!

This shit is getting tiresome by these internet marketers. I find that a lot of people here are just spamming their courses. If you are going to sell a course or information at least be upfront about it. We all know the routine here, give free value and then ask for money later..

@MJ DeMarco I hope the mods keep these kind of posts in a separate category. It's ruining the experience and learning. I am pretty sure it is affecting other wantrepenuers as this leads to shiny object syndrome.

And who the F*ck are you? I've not sold anything here and this thread is not intended to sell you anything, I don't even have the necessary information to create a course as I am still learning about this.

This was a simple journey that I put out there. I have no patience for people like you. Just because I don't have as many posts or read the F*cking book doesn't mean shit. Now F*ck off.

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
And who the F*ck are you? I've not sold anything here and this thread is not intended to sell you anything, I don't even have the necessary information to create a course as I am still learning about this.

This was a simple journey that I put out there. I have no patience for people like you. Just because I don't have as many posts or read the F*cking book doesn't mean shit. Now F*ck off.

This forum has been inundated recently with new comers on here seeking to build their brand or reputation. This is no different from Damiens disastrous Instagram thread.This is the anti guru forum of the internet.

MJ and the moderators have asked in the past from other posters to verify their success. If you do that than I apologize in advance. Until then you are a new member with no credibility posting click bait and so far offering generic advice that you could have learned off of Youtube.

Minus9

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Aug 30, 2018
This forum has been inundated recently with new comers on here seeking to build their brand or reputation. This is no different from Damiens disastrous Instagram thread.This is the anti guru forum of the internet.

MJ and the moderators have asked in the past from other posters to verify their success. If you do that than I apologize in advance. Until then you are a new member with no credibility posting click bait and so far offering generic advice that you could have learned off of Youtube.

I would be happy to verify whatever needed to MJ if he wishes to. Just PM me MJ and we'll get it sorted.
And the fact that this is the "anti guru forum" is exactly why it would be stupid to try and sell a course here about dropshipping.

I'll be happy to provide any proof to MJ.

David Storey

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 8, 2019
I have 4 years of e-commerce experience and am part of a large network of people doing the same.

I dont want to get into any discussion about aspects of drop-shipping. I just wanted to pass on my opinion.
Unless you are just looking for a small income top up, I personally would not bother with it. All you are doing is selling other people's products to mugs that pay over the odds. You are not providing any value. As there is no IP, you will find its very hard if not impossible to sell as a viable business. Competition is immense and is growing rapidly, its just too easy to get started (Entry violation). It is scalable, but you will find once you get past 100k per month the business becomes highly complex and its difficult to expand without taking up a huge amount of time in proportion to your ROI and building a skilled team. I am however quite surprised by your margins, so well done for that.

I would recommend this model to build up some capital to invest in building a brand or new product idea that can eventually be sold.

Minus9

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Aug 30, 2018
I have 4 years of e-commerce experience and am part of a large network of people doing the same.

I dont want to get into any discussion about aspects of drop-shipping. I just wanted to pass on my opinion.
Unless you are just looking for a small income top up, I personally would not bother with it. All you are doing is selling other people's products to mugs that pay over the odds. You are not providing any value. As there is no IP, you will find its very hard if not impossible to sell as a viable business. Competition is immense and is growing rapidly, its just too easy to get started (Entry violation). It is scalable, but you will find once you get past 100k per month the business becomes highly complex and its difficult to expand without taking up a huge amount of time in proportion to your ROI and building a skilled team. I am however quite surprised by your margins, so well done for that.

I would recommend this model to build up some capital to invest in building a brand or new product idea that can eventually be sold.

It depends on what you sell, in my opinion. My intention is not dropshipping in the future, I would like to establish a warehouse and build my products then, and eventually inventing own products if there's a possibility in the future, ultimately building the brand out. Right now, it's in its starting phases.

In terms of building another brand or new product idea, I have actually been thinking about this and did some research yesterday but not too certain about what to exactly sell but got an idea on how some people have gone about doing it.

I'll shoot you a private message, would love some additional tips.

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
New Member=check!

Wow this was really uncalled for, can't condemn someone just because he smells like your "checks" dude.

@Minus9 dropshipping is getting harder and harder, so kudos on hitting success so quickly.

Minus9

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Aug 30, 2018
So I haven't checked in on this thread and been travelling for about 4 months. Stopped selling entire last month due to new laws in my country but just started up the store today and got $1012 in sales tonight and about $340 in profit after VAT, ads and product cost. So good day today.

Also starting another business on the side, more brand-focused and that requires more investment from my part, exciting to see how that one will go. A bit of a higher barrier of entry and low competition relatively, going to test the market and see how it'll go.

Main business has hit over $120-130k the first year of running so that's bit exciting, all dropshipping so far. Haven't got around to establishing a warehouse yet, bit of me being lazy. Going to probably launch the warehouse in March or April.

Minus9

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Aug 30, 2018
A little update: I decided to stop running ads after 3 days of reopening. I generated $2.5k these few days and the reason I am temporarily stopping the ads is due to the fact that my supplier won't be able to ship out items until the 10th - apparently due to the Corona virus that's roaming around.

Hopefully I can start running ads again in a week and continue as scheduled. All the 65 orders will be delayed and explained to customers whenever we get support emails, customers usually being very understandable.

Minus9

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Aug 30, 2018
Update: Supplier's back in business - going to start running the ads from tomorrow.

My business is also going to be up for sale at a relatively low price compared to what I could get for it - due to an opportunity in the car scene which I am looking to get into. So if anyone's interested in the store possibly, hit me up, I might consider selling it.

The supplier's finally back in business after the long new year and the virus that has affected suppliers all over - and packages were all sent yesterday and confirmed back in business which is a positive thing.

2019 Sales numbers: $120,000+
Conversion rate: 7% all-year
Returning customer rate: 8%

Last edited:

Minus9

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Aug 30, 2018
First day back after Corona-shutdown:

I don't consider this a good day but fine for first day back!

Sales: $460
Ad spend: $82
Cost: $175

Profit: $204

I've contacted two brokers to sell this business on Flippa - valued at $28-35k. Selling it due to getting into the automotive industry - something I am very passionate about and believe would make me enjoy my journey into making a good name in such industry for myself - so excited about the transition and getting into that.

Last edited:

Minus9

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Aug 30, 2018
February 22th and 23rd:

• Total orders: $1122
  • Cost: $429 ($307 after tax)
  • Conversion rate: 8.41%
  • Returning customer rate: 10.71%
  • Average order value $40.

Just a small update - hopefully I can keep the consistency of these..

Sov.Li

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Oct 28, 2019
Hello.

So I have been recently moving away the last 2-3 years from Amazon FBA to dropshipping, with the intent of establishing a brand. So I have now been running this store for about exactly 4 months now and have seen great results. So I figured I would set some goals and document my journey, show you my strengths and weaknesses and what I need to improve on.

My strengths:
  • Good quality products
  • Relatively fast enough shipping - 10-14 days in average.
  • Good customer base.
  • Good built brand - on social media
  • Absolutely amazing customer service - handling all requests well.

Things to improve and goals:
  • Logistical issues in terms of shipping several different packages, sometimes. (Due to multiple suppliers, but this has been sorted for most products now, so it's been going well lately.)
  • New warehouse
  • Even faster shipping times and better packaging.
  • Hitting 25k/revenue monthly and eventually 50k.
So the thing with the warehouse part is crucial for me. It's something that needs to happen, it will give me more costs in terms of shipping, office/warehouse etc. but will improve the faster shipping times such as 2-3 day shipping, more satisfied customers and even more returning customers. Also a requirement due to the new import fees in certain countries.

So generally, I am very satisifed with the growth of my store and the fact that it was profitable from day one. I haven't taken a single dollar out of the store due to me saving up to get the small warehoust established and save for inventory. Every dollar has been reinvested into this project.

I am also happy that I have been getting such results with a Facebook ad budget of $50, I will be scaling in a few more months but trying to get everything in order in terms of accounting, taxes etc. first.

Sales of March: $11,841 USD.

Sales of April so far: (17 days) $10438 in the 17 days so far into this month. I'm very happy with the results and I am thinking that I will be breaking $20k this month alone.

So all in all, very happy with the results and the brand I have been building so far and I only see a good growth. I hope you'll follow my journey and I am happy to help anybody that may need help.

Write down your questions if you have any, I will be giving updates here and there.
When you're drop-shipping there isn't always gonna be winning products and the marketing isn't always gonna be high-level every time you do it...so what are some things you should do to maximise the chances of your store succeeding?

It's kind of a general question, so interpret how you wish, to best describe how you make a store successful without killer products/marketing every time. I.e. if you think the product isn't killer how you then approach the marketing, etc.

Minus9

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Aug 30, 2018
When you're drop-shipping there isn't always gonna be winning products and the marketing isn't always gonna be high-level every time you do it...so what are some things you should do to maximise the chances of your store succeeding?

It's kind of a general question, so interpret how you wish, to best describe how you make a store successful without killer products/marketing every time. I.e. if you think the product isn't killer how you then approach the marketing, etc.

My brand is niche-oriented - and it's not a "winning" product in that sense of how you portray it on YouTube or by so called experts/gurus - but the fact that it's a product that people need and I am the one who delivers it at a good price. My advertisement has been only for 1 product - and it's been the same advertisement for over a year now and still performing. Even though I have 20+ products.

My approach is just have a brand that delivers a good product at a good price - and it will make sales. It's really that simple for me. Demand, pricing and portrayal of the brand that's delivering the product, in this case, my brand which is portrayed by a good logo, social media posts, and website.

Minus9

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Aug 30, 2018
Some bad news:

Due to the corona virus and the orders that were placed before then - these were delayed a lot and our customer feedback on Facebook score went to 0.9 - which placed us on a ban for the page. We've setup a new Facebook page and running and need to build the social proof on the ad - which isn't that much of a problem but sucks that it got banned.

And the timing sucks when I was scheduled to sell this in 2-4 weeks for $25-35k - now I either have to wait a few more months or sell it at a low price which I have probably decided to do and take the loss - selling the entire business at $12.5k. So got a broker and meanwhile asking customers to place comments and pictures which some are already doing and already getting sales which is good but sucks about this facebook system.

Been some ups and downs - many following this damn virus.

Minus9

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Aug 30, 2018
Facebook has been a pain in the a$$- so I setup a new facebook account and running new ads and generating sales - just needs social proof again to get even more revenue like before.

Minus9

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Aug 30, 2018
So I asked few customers to leave comments and pictures to add social proof. I've significantly lowered my ad budget to as low as $25 and really have no motivation to continue this business as I am focusing on learning a trade.

My business is now for sale - first man, first serve at $9.5k - and I can provide financial documents, accounting etc. and also use a professional broker. Big opportunity for the right person at a relatively low price compared to my valuations given by brokers. If you want to know more about the business, shoot me a PM.

It's fairly easy to grow a new page since the old one only had 500 likes yet generated that much revenue - I also put very little effort into ads and I was only mainly using 1 ad for all my revenue.

Once a customer comes into the store - they take a look at other items and purchase.

Minus9

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Aug 30, 2018
So an update: I've stopped my ads - just kind of leaving my store to dust up which is unfortunate but kind of focusing on learning a trade - looking to become an electrician and possibly in a few years open a company related to electricity/electrician work.

So yeah, store has huge potenial and I am probably stupid for not working on it but right now that's what I want to do.

Thanks for following my journey - if I do either decide to work on it or sell it, I will update you. Have a good day. :) - I am also providing free help to anyone who has any question- send me a PM if you need any help.

Last edited:

Minus9

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Aug 30, 2018
Lowering the price for my business for $6850 - last price. If anybody's interested in payouts by my payment providers and more info, send me a message and we'll discuss.

Minus9

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Aug 30, 2018
It's a bit odd, lowering my price to $5k. So my business is for sale for $5000, pretty cheap compared but the longer I let it sit without touching it, the more the business value goes down.

Also update on me: I've decided to move cities in a few months, going to study real estate to becoming a realtor and get into the industry - it's a law where I live to go into 3-year studies to actually get a license.

So yeah, it's been pretty weird changing back and forth on what I decide to do but that's how it turned out.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
It's a bit odd, lowering my price to $5k. So my business is for sale for $5000, pretty cheap compared but the longer I let it sit without touching it, the more the business value goes down.

Also update on me: I've decided to move cities in a few months, going to study real estate to becoming a realtor and get into the industry - it's a law where I live to go into 3-year studies to actually get a license.

So yeah, it's been pretty weird changing back and forth on what I decide to do but that's how it turned out.

It probably would've sold really quickly 6 months ago, with 90-100k$ in revenue juste before the end of the year.

The problem right now is that your business is back to square zero. You got sales number - yes - on a banned FB Page. You relied mostly on FB for marketing, how were other marketing channels performing ?

Give us some numbers and you might find a buyer here.

Until then, it looks like paying $5K for a product, a source for the product and an empty facebook page (I don't mean to be harsh).

---

Feel free not to answer this, but what is the reason that made you want to stop making money "free from your time"? Learning a trade is one thing, but why not learn a trade WHILE making $130K/yr passively ? Hire a VA to handle the orders and someone to handle marketing and the business will most likely grow while still netting you around $40-50K/yr.

If you ever change your mind, and you're serious about the business, I would recommend you to try and get in touch with @biophase. He took some time to chip in last year in your thread and everything he says about e-commerce is notable. In fact, he's been making a living out of it for years.

Last edited:

Minus9

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Aug 30, 2018
It probably would've sold really quickly 6 months ago, with 90-100k$ in revenue juste before the end of the year.

The problem right now is that your business is back to square zero. You got sales number - yes - on a banned FB Page. You relied mostly on FB for marketing, how were other marketing channels performing ?

Give us some numbers and you might find a buyer here.

Until then, it looks like paying $5K for a product, a source for the product and an empty facebook page (I don't mean to be harsh).

---

Feel free not to answer this, but what is the reason that made you want to stop making money "free from your time"? Learning a trade is one thing, but why not learn a trade WHILE making $130K/yr passively ? Hire a VA to handle the orders and someone to handle marketing and the business will most likely grow while still netting you around $40-50K/yr.

If you ever change your mind, and you're serious about the business, I would recommend you to try and get in touch with @biophase. He took some time to chip in last year in your thread and everything he says about e-commerce is notable. In fact, he's been making a living out of it for years.

Because it has potenial to do well - it has a new page and it just needs people to comment on it which is asking customers to put comment etc. and run advertisements but I will be completely transparent with you.

I've lost motivation to even do this simple thing and run ads - I have lost motivation to respond to customer support or handle orders, now I still receive a few orders from returning customers and don't enjoy getting the sale, prefer not having to fulfill the order etc. I think it's more about motivation, I lose motivation quickly and change fast.

I also earlier told you about getting into a trade, so that didn't work out and now I have decided to go to university. (See how fast I change things up?) And I don't think a VA is viable for a country like Norway due to the fact that we live in a country of high-wages and you wouldn't be able to find a support that can do this effectively and cheap by any means.

My country has high wages, high tax, expensive price. So while $120k sales sound a lot, after tax and how expensive the country is, it's not worth it and I want to sell it off to somebody for a low price, and just completely forget about it except supporting the new owner. If I lived in a country where things were cheaper, I would keep it running and live my life but that's not how it works here.

Yes, the timing of my sale is dumb and stupid, I don't have lots of experience selling a business nor did I do it in the right time, now leaving it to dust since I am not running ads and it was valued by two brokers at 5-6 digits price. And now I am here selling it for $5k.

Is it stupid of me not doing anything and just being lazy about it? Yes. Do I care that much anymore? Not really.

Hopefully this clears something up. Also, while we were speaking I got an order for $120 from a probably returning customer - so it's not dead by any means, and my previous facebook page had only 500 likes and some comments, it literally needs nothing to get back up. I can run ads and get sales but I can get better ACOS by getting comments etc. I'm considering stopping the store because I don't want to work on it. Hope you understand where I am coming from, just unmotivated as hell honestly.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
Please elaborate and I will respond accordingly as I am not familiar with the 'fastlane formula'. This is making me money, I am doing fine and enjoying it. Is this scaleable? Yes, absolutely. Does this limit the amount of sales I make? No.

Again, not sure if this is what you meant by the fastlane formula but let me know and I will get back to you.

I'm planning to buy inventory and private label some of the items in the future but I am going to keep them as they are for a while. And what you said about FBA business, is the fact that I don't like being dependent on Amazon. Anything can happen, I like having more control hence why I stopped selling there.

You just need to target the right people, my creatives aren't really impressive but they're straight to the point, targeting the right people. After a few hundred purchases, you do lookalike audiences and target similar people to those who purchased.

I'm currently at the phase where I build a brand in terms of building a following, good service, communication with customers etc. Communication etc. is also important to improve products and more. There's nothing too complicated really.
I don't understand why you drop a revenue stream that is working to work on another? Why not keep the Amazon stream and work on the other? If Amazon has not shut you down why not keep going? Can elaborate why? Thanks.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
5 Commandments
C(Control)
E(Entry)
N(Needs)
T(Time)
S(Scale)

Anything dropshipping violates the Commandment of Control because Amazon or Alibaba or Shopify could cut you off at any time. It' also violates the Commandment of Entry. It has a pretty low barrier to entry.

But you're making 50k month. Congratualions. Keep going. You're doing something and it's working.
His "C" will be his brand and I can see that he is leveraging the online selling platforms to make money and build brand awareness. Eventually you want to sell direct from your own website (at a discount) since you don't have the Amazon, Shopify etc. overhead and it gives the buyer a reason to go direct. Thanks

Minus9

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Aug 30, 2018
I don't understand why you drop a revenue stream that is working to work on another? Why not keep the Amazon stream and work on the other? If Amazon has not shut you down why not keep going? Can elaborate why? Thanks.

I did work on Amazon, that one slowly died out and I decided to do something else. The Amazon one is a long time ago by the way, I did do well in terms of revenue etc. but the product wasn't really that good which taught me big lessons which I have used in my dropshipping business which has worked wonders.

If I wanted to, I could probably do the same product on FBA again and make money but not worth it to me, I always look for long-term but now I have really just decided to move on from all of this and possibly get back to my entreprenurial journeys in a few years after I get established in the real estate market.

Real estate is where the money is for me, imo. so I want to focus on that. If you're interested in knowing more about FBA, send me a message and I will give you free help if you'd like. Or any questions you may have.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
I did work on Amazon, that one slowly died out and I decided to do something else. The Amazon one is a long time ago by the way, I did do well in terms of revenue etc. but the product wasn't really that good which taught me big lessons which I have used in my dropshipping business which has worked wonders.

If I wanted to, I could probably do the same product on FBA again and make money but not worth it to me, I always look for long-term but now I have really just decided to move on from all of this and possibly get back to my entreprenurial journeys in a few years after I get established in the real estate market.

Real estate is where the money is for me, imo. so I want to focus on that. If you're interested in knowing more about FBA, send me a message and I will give you free help if you'd like. Or any questions you may have.
Super! So you transitioned into real estate from Shopify? If so why and what are you doing in real estate now? Very curious again why you transitioned over. Thanks again.

Minus9

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Aug 30, 2018
Super! So you transitioned into real estate from Shopify? If so why and what are you doing in real estate now? Very curious again why you transitioned over. Thanks again.

I've been wanting to either learn a trade or get a degree - since I am still relatively young. And I haven't gotten into the market now but planning on becoming a real estate agent - mostly since it fits the kind of work I am looking into in the future and my long-term plans are renting out lots of units in the future which can generate passive income.

Real estate is a secure passive income - if you do it right. But it requires lots of capital, knowledge etc. which I will learn by being an agent in the market for years. So mostly long-term plan.

So I have been all over the place but now decided on this.

Minus9

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Aug 30, 2018
Some update:

I ran an ad with a very small ad budget for testing - spent around $27 in ads - gained $280 in sales. Profit margin around 36%.

Still for sale if anybody is interested - financials can be shown etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.