The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Jordan Peterson is creating own online university to destroy college “indoctrination cults”/Marxism

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Anyone who’s spent any amount of time in a college in the past ~15 years knows that Marxism is pretty rampant. Public intellectual Dr. Jordan Peterson aims to change that.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-77NpxbE7k

Peterson believes that his project could save millions from the “degeneracy” of modern universities, which are corrupted, as he says, by women’s studies and discussions of diversity.

Jordan Peterson first rose to international fame in opposition to certain hate crime legislation that he saw as totalitarian and driven by “Maoist” thinking. YouTube

What’s responsible for the degeneracy, according to Peterson? “Postmodern neo-Marxism.” This somewhat heady term essentially describes a subversive cabal of Marxist thinkers who, starting in the 1970s began conspiring to destroy the natural hierarchies in Western culture. Peterson believes that these thoughts have lived on in discussions of white privilege and diversity, mostly perpetuated in the liberal arts and college humanities departments, which he says have become “indoctrination cults.”

This is really a rebranding of a separate, anti-Semitic conspiracy theory called “cultural Marxism,” which has been used since the 1980s by the far-right to explain the alleged secret motivation behind everything from black superhero movies to the #MeToo movement.

Humanities departments at universities across the world, Peterson regularly preaches, have become totally corrupted by the tendrils of neo-Marxist doctrine, and therefore cannot survive — and must not, for the sake of Western civilization. Peterson advises his audience to abandon universities in favor of trade schools, and has made videos aimed at young children advising them to stage walkouts of middle school classes that mention topics like “diversity.”

“Women’s studies, and all the ethnic studies and racial studies groups ... those things have to go, and the faster they go the better,” Peterson said during a July speech. “It would have been better had they never been part of the university to begin with, as far as I can tell. Sociology, that’s corrupt. Anthropology, that’s corrupt. English literature, that’s corrupt.”

Peterson’ first plan in reforming the university was to develop an artificially intelligent program that would comb through course materials available at universities to develop a blacklist of courses, which have been corrupted by so-called “neo-Marxist” ideology.

“I’m hoping that over about a five-year period, that a concerted effort could be made to knock enrollment down in post-modern, neo-Marxist cult classes by 75% across the West,” Peterson said on a Canadian morning show in July. “So our plan, initially, is to cut off the supply to the people who are running the so-called “indoctrination cults.”

Jordan Peterson is creating his own online university to destroy college “indoctrination cults”

@ApparentHorizon
@lowtek
@MJ DeMarco
@Kak
@TreyAllDay
@jasoncuellar123

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
Agree that the world will be a better place if less people went to indoctrination cults known as colleges.

But I don't see an online school accomplishing it. Rejecting marxism isn't enough. We must reject everything about the education system that de-humanizes us, removes our individuality, and makes us consumers of information rather than empowering us.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

I think you need to find a higher ed forum.

This forum is primarily focused on business and entrepreneurialism.

+1. I like Peterson, but this needs the OFF-TOPIC tag at least.

That aside, 3-years-removed-from-college self is glad he saw this corruption slowly creeping into higher education and opted out. Choosing entrepreneurship has been a good answer to the compelled 'education' (indoctrination) path so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
At best, all his online "university" can do is swap one form of indoctrination for another (more toxic) one.
His rhetoric sounds similar to the David Dukes of the world. He isn't against indoctrination, he is for self-enrichment.

"The online university was advertised as ready to begin serious development when Peterson hit his 8,500 paid supporter milestone on crowdsourced funding platform Patreon. When that happened last week, Peterson moved the milestone for starting the online university up to 10,000 subscribers. He’s already close to 9,000 patrons, so 10,000 can’t be far off."

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
At best, all his online "university" can do is swap one form of indoctrination for another (more toxic) one.
So it’s not possibly for people to just learn factual information devoid of spin or bias? Or you think that his is not the one who can do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Anyone who’s spent any amount of time in a college in the past ~15 years knows that Marxism is pretty rampant. Public intellectual Dr. Jordan Peterson aims to change that.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-77NpxbE7k

Peterson believes that his project could save millions from the “degeneracy” of modern universities, which are corrupted, as he says, by women’s studies and discussions of diversity.

Jordan Peterson first rose to international fame in opposition to certain hate crime legislation that he saw as totalitarian and driven by “Maoist” thinking. YouTube

What’s responsible for the degeneracy, according to Peterson? “Postmodern neo-Marxism.” This somewhat heady term essentially describes a subversive cabal of Marxist thinkers who, starting in the 1970s began conspiring to destroy the natural hierarchies in Western culture. Peterson believes that these thoughts have lived on in discussions of white privilege and diversity, mostly perpetuated in the liberal arts and college humanities departments, which he says have become “indoctrination cults.”

This is really a rebranding of a separate, anti-Semitic conspiracy theory called “cultural Marxism,” which has been used since the 1980s by the far-right to explain the alleged secret motivation behind everything from black superhero movies to the #MeToo movement.

Humanities departments at universities across the world, Peterson regularly preaches, have become totally corrupted by the tendrils of neo-Marxist doctrine, and therefore cannot survive — and must not, for the sake of Western civilization. Peterson advises his audience to abandon universities in favor of trade schools, and has made videos aimed at young children advising them to stage walkouts of middle school classes that mention topics like “diversity.”

“Women’s studies, and all the ethnic studies and racial studies groups ... those things have to go, and the faster they go the better,” Peterson said during a July speech. “It would have been better had they never been part of the university to begin with, as far as I can tell. Sociology, that’s corrupt. Anthropology, that’s corrupt. English literature, that’s corrupt.”

Peterson’ first plan in reforming the university was to develop an artificially intelligent program that would comb through course materials available at universities to develop a blacklist of courses, which have been corrupted by so-called “neo-Marxist” ideology.

“I’m hoping that over about a five-year period, that a concerted effort could be made to knock enrollment down in post-modern, neo-Marxist cult classes by 75% across the West,” Peterson said on a Canadian morning show in July. “So our plan, initially, is to cut off the supply to the people who are running the so-called “indoctrination cults.”

Jordan Peterson is creating his own online university to destroy college “indoctrination cults”

@ApparentHorizon
@lowtek
@MJ DeMarco
@Kak
@TreyAllDay
@jasoncuellar123

Though I wholeheartedly agree with a ton of what JP says...

The problem with these fringe universities is that people take them about as seriously as a community college; therein making paying for it a waste.

If someone is going to pay go to college, they should go to a real college.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Though I wholeheartedly agree with a ton of what JP says...

The problem with these fringe universities is that people take them about as seriously as a community college; therein making paying for it a waste.

If someone is going to go to college, they should go to a real college.

I dunno.. let’s see what he does with it.

I mean he’s a former professor at Harvard and a tenured professor at UofT. I think he has the connections and funding to make a real college. It’s just going to be primarily online, which is how it should be in 2018, imo. Physical colleges are becoming obsolete.

Me personally? I’ve watched a ton of his lectures. I find so much value in the way he teaches. I take his lectures on Psychology more seriously than I took my actual Psychology classes.

I honestly don’t think he would attach his name to anything but a legitimate university.

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
So it’s not possibly for people to just learn factual information devoid of spin or bias? Or you think that his is not the one who can do that.

It is very possible to acquire technical knowledge without spin or bias. However, that is only possible to any appreciable degree in the STEM field. If empirical evidence isn't the fundamental element, then bias and agendas fill that void.

That said, any university with him in charge is incapable of non-bias. Any person whose rhetoric aligns with sentiments like "the natural hierarchies in Western culture" is inherently incapable of non-bias.
Remember all the academic research publications in the 19th and 20th centuries that "found" that blacks were in fact sub-human? The ones complete with anatomical diagrams of brains biologically incapable of intellectual processing beyond a basic threshold? Well, get ready for more of those.

Those sentiments have manifested themselves in the form of slavery and Jim Crow laws in our not too distant past. I highly doubt that's the path we want to go back down, but what do I know?

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
I dunno.. let’s see what he does with it.

I mean he’s a former professor at Harvard and a tenured professor at UofT. I think he has the connections and funding to make a real college. It’s just going to be primarily online, which is how it should be in 2018, imo. Physical colleges are becoming obsolete.

Me personally? I’ve watched a ton of his lectures. I find so much value in the way he teaches. I take his lectures on Psychology more seriously than I took my actual Psychology classes.

I honestly don’t think he would attach his name to anything but a legitimate university.

There's a stigma against online universities. Oh you went to an online college? Like that broke scam University of Phoenix?

You're going into a room where 90% went through the traditional system, and they made it out just fine. So if you can't finish college, you're not up to the challenge of working at a real company.

There's MissionU which seems to be doing the same thing too.

What's the best way to scale education, if not online?

I think everyone is looking at this the wrong way. It's not the school or diploma that has to be updated.

It's the interview process... one which hasn't change is how long? You start at the bottom of the food chain, talking to some low level HR who has little knowledge of the actual position.

You can gain the other skills actually required for the job easily these days. YouTube, online courses, onlineU, cheap community colleges.

So it's all self learning and starting...Doesn't necessarily have to be entrepreneurship, but the ability to demonstrate to an employer you're capable getting the job done. Programming being a prime example, and I'm sure it's similar to other STEM fields.

Pick the actual company you want to work for, and figure out how to make some part of their process better. Then hound them until you can talk to the person in charge of the department.

This comes directly from sales and entrepreneurship we see here...

Imagine having your resume sent down by the CTO to HR. You're already in the top 20%.

Even if he directs you to HR, you can say, Mr. CTO and I were discussing how XYZ could help the company, because ABC, and he suggested I get in touch with you. Here is my resume and my work.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
That said, any university with him in charge is incapable of non-bias. Any person whose rhetoric aligns with sentiments like "the natural hierarchies in Western culture" is inherently incapable of non-bias.

Lmfao, dominance hierarchies are literally built into the nervous system of all mammals. I hope I’m mistaken and your comment wasn’t a denial of that... was it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
There's a stigma against online universities. Oh you went to an online college? Like that broke scam University of Phoenix?

You're going into a room where 90% went through the traditional system, and they made it out just fine. So if you can't finish college, you're not up to the challenge of working at a real company.

There was also a stigma against buying MP3s online when Rhapsody and Napster tried to legitimize. Then iTunes came along and changed all that.

There was a stigma against private transportation (taxis) until uber came along.

Only one company has to do it right to legitimize it.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I think everyone is looking at this the wrong way. It's not the school or diploma that has to be updated.

It's the interview process... one which hasn't change is how long? You start at the bottom of the food chain, talking to some low level HR who has little knowledge of the actual position.

You can gain the other skills actually required for the job easily these days. YouTube, online courses, onlineU, cheap community colleges.

So it's all self learning and starting...Doesn't necessarily have to be entrepreneurship, but the ability to demonstrate to an employer you're capable getting the job done. Programming being a prime example, and I'm sure it's similar to other STEM fields.

Pick the actual company you want to work for, and figure out how to make some part of their process better. Then hound them until you can talk to the person in charge of the department.

This comes directly from sales and entrepreneurship we see here...

Imagine having your resume sent down by the CTO to HR. You're already in the top 20%.

Even if he directs you to HR, you can say, Mr. CTO and I were discussing how XYZ could help the company, because ABC, and he suggested I get in touch with you. Here is my resume and my work.
Agree. But I still there is a place for universities. Taking tests, etc.

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
Lmfao, dominance hierarchies are literally built into the nervous system of all mammals. I hope I’m mistaken and your comment wasn’t a denial of that... was it?

Do you even understand what "natural hierarchy" means in his presented context?
What do you think it means?

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Do you even understand what "natural hierarchy" means in his presented context?
What do you think it means?
Of course I do. I’m trying to figure out what meaning you get from what he’s talks about.

But in ethology, animals separate themselves into Alpha/Beta/Omega/etc in a dominance hierarchy:

Alpha (ethology) - Wikipedia

Humans are definitely no exception. It’s why we play sports. It’s why we play chess. It’s why we get into debates on Entrepreneurship Forums (kidding... well, half kidding.) But it’s why competition is so salient to us. When we win our brains squirt out pleasure neurotransmitters. When we lose, stress chemicals. The idea that mammals are hierarchical is not controversial among biologists. But sociologists (which is a total soft science and really is closer to astrology than any type of real science) believe that hierarchies are a ‘construction of the west’ which is a total insane moronic claim. Sociology is literally based on the work of Karl Marx and real scientists are just like “please shut up."

And when he points out this stuff about nature’s dominance hierarchies, the sociologists get their panties in a bunch because it screws with their Marxist views on life.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
You don't need any university to think for yourself.

Plus, Dr. Peterson already has most of his actual lectures given at an actual university (University of Toronto) as an actual tenured professor of psychology, in their full form, online for free. Check his Youtube channel (search Jordan B Peterson).

And no, Dr. Peterson's freedom isn't restricted just because he's a conservative. He's very open about his beliefs in his lectures. He has a protected position at the university and he can say whatever he wants without fearing for his job.

Dr. Peterson has managed to monetize the 'radical left' by making them seem more pervasive than they actually are. He's used this position to juxtapose his advice against those crazies + use that juxtaposition to make himself a 'self help guru'.

I say this as someone who actually likes a lot of what he says. But just because you respect someone's viewpoints doesn't mean you should follow them completely. Think for yourself. Think critically. And don't be swayed by smart people with fancy credentials.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Plus, Dr. Peterson already has most of his actual lectures given at an actual university (University of Toronto) as an actual tenured professor of psychology, in their full form, online for free. Check his Youtube channel (search Jordan B Peterson).
Yes, I’ve watched many of them. I don’t think this is just going to be a collection of his lectures, he’s going to be getting a lot of really great professors on board. You can’t have a university with one professor and furthermore ho only teaches two classes.

I say this as someone who actually likes a lot of what he says. But just because you respect someone's viewpoints doesn't mean you should follow them completely. Think for yourself. Think critically. And don't be swayed by smart people with fancy credentials.
Who’s doing that? I don’t agree with a lot of what he says. There are things he says in lectures that are just plain wrong from a factual standpoint. But if I had to give him a grade I’d give him about a 90.

Bryan James

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2018
Texas, USA
College professor: Socialism isn't bad

Student: This is a capitalist society

College professor: So?

Student: So can I have my money back?

College professor: No, this is a capitalist society. You get what you pay for.

Student: Then why are you preaching socialism but practicing capitalism?

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
College professor: Socialism isn't bad

Student: This is a capitalist society

College professor: So?

Student: So can I have my money back?

College professor: No, this is a capitalist society. You get what you pay for.

Student: Then why are you preaching socialism but practicing capitalism?
University student Parents “go to college.. it’s how you earn more money"
University Professor when gets there “Capitalism is a corrupt institution of the western patriarchy”
Rage.jpg

Or how about

“Capitalism is a corrupt institution of western society” - university charging you 60K/yr

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
Of course I do. I’m trying to figure out what meaning you get from what he’s talks about.

But in ethology, animals separate themselves into Alpha/Beta/Omega/etc in a dominance hierarchy:

Alpha (ethology) - Wikipedia

Humans are definitely no exception. It’s why we play sports. It’s why we play chess. It’s why we get into debates on Entrepreneurship Forums (kidding... well, half kidding.) But it’s why competition is so salient to us. When we win our brains squirt out pleasure neurotransmitters. When we lose, stress chemicals. The idea that mammals are hierarchical is not controversial among biologists. But sociologists (which is a total soft science and really is closer to astrology than any type of real science) believe that hierarchies are a ‘construction of the west’ which is a total insane moronic claim. Sociology is literally based on the work of Karl Marx and real scientists are just like “please shut up."

And when he points out this stuff about nature’s dominance hierarchies, the sociologists get their panties in a bunch because it screws with their Marxist views on life.

Of course, humans are hierarchical by nature (and should be, provided it's a true meritocracy). However, the hacking of the natural play-out of this hierarchy is where the problem lies. Not the existence of the hierarchy itself.

I'm not too worried about Peterson's train of thought. However, the school of thought it inadvertently creates a breeding ground for isn't as healthy.

While I would like to get into these discussions, I am less inclined these days to spend significant time debating at length online, like a redditor. Specifically if it's not advancing my business or goals in some way. My to-do list is quite long, so it's an opportunity cost thing.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
While I would like to get into these discussions, I am less inclined these days to spend significant time debating at length online
Yea.. I can’t even debate it because I honestly don’t even know what we’re talking about here. I can’t tell if we agree, disagree or talking about the same thing.

But whenever we’re talking about, this is roughly his position on hierarchies... but yes this will likely go political, which i shy away from.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Anyway, I’m pretty excited to see what he does with this.The legitimization of full-blown online colleges is inevitable and I think he may be the first to be able to do it.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Anyway, I’m pretty excited to see what he does with this.The legitimization of full-blown online colleges is inevitable and I think he may be the first to be able to do it.
So far I think the greatest online education platform is KahnAcademy.com

Helped me a lot during school.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015