The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Jobs to move you into the fastlane : Brainstorm

LamboMP

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Aug 13, 2007
Toronto
What jobs (specific jobs) can you think of that you should undertake so that you can move into the fastlane? This thread could potentially help fellow members make a decision early on or help others that feel "stuck" in their current situation, and that can propel them into the fastlane more quickly.

Here are the rules:
a) you have no university education - so a corporate job is out of the question. Your highest level of education is a high school diploma.
b) you need to allocate most of your time to building and working your plan. Time is your most important asset in this subsection but you also need to work to save money.
c) You have limited capital to begin. Your current savings account has a balance of $5000.00.

Desired Route:

You want to get into real estate investing (apartments and commercial real estate and you need that JOB ( which will thought of above) to help provide that income. What job can help you get there the fastest (given that the highest level of education you have is a high school diploma)?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
If I had $5k I would just start out as a REI and get a partner or two. ...Maybe this answer isn't in the spirit of this thread. I suppose if I had to get a job, then maybe I would consider bird dogging, getting my RE license or working for a successful REI.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
As someone who is living this dream. I recommend a union office job. My mind is not required for 95% of what I do, and I am done at 3 everyday, so my time is my own after that.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I'm an IT director, and I have a college degree -- but I know guys who do this job without.... and it works well for me because:

a). I have Internet access 24X7 (It's paid for at home by my company, and my PC's are all provided by work, etc)

b). I can telecommute, and work virtually from anywhere in the world. I could be laying on the beach in Cancun right now, and nobody would be the wiser.

c). If I am good at managing my time, I maybe am committed to 2 hours a day of actual work. The rest of the day is mine, unless there is a major "fire" or something urgent I am pulled into, which is very rare. I just got back from a flip-house my crew is working on, for example and nobody missed me... My kids need to be picked up from school at 3pm Weds, Thurs, and Friday -- and I'm able to accomidate that with ease.

d). Pay is near 6 figures, which gives me plenty to throw around and invest.

In short... You can't just jump in and become an IT director with no experience or degree, but -- I'd reco any "brainless" office job, where management doesn't try to micro-manage you, and you are able to get on the Internet all day. (i.e. IT Help Desk works great or Call Center type work!) Some of my greatest ideas have come to me at 3pm in the afternoon, while surfing this web site or others... You can stay in touch with your contacts via IM, surf the MLS for new deals -- whatever you need to do to follow your plan.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
If I didn't "require" a certain level of income to meet my current expenses, I would consider working in a large city's City Planning office. You'll know where new construction is planned, new roads, new companies/industries your city is wooing, etc. This would be a great advantage in REI, methinx. I would love to partner with someone who could provide the inside scoop on city plans, while I provide some/all of the capital initially. Maybe not 50/50, but you get the idea.

If you're a real go-getter type, consider outside sales. As long as you're meeting your numbers, no one really cares where/how/when you do it. This could free up lots of free time for other ventures.

I think construction would be a good trade to learn too, especially if you're going to get into REI.

But I don't think you specified that as a fastlane track. So I would therefore also recommend some kind of job that would train you on the basics of computing, particularly as it pertains to the web.

LamboMP

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Aug 13, 2007
Toronto
All responses are good! This thread was started to help others realize what type of jobs are out there that arent time consuming so that your time isn't spent just working the job, but so that you can have time allocated for your business primarily.

Good responses! Keep them coming!

One I came up with recently is bartending. Good pay, night job, more time for the business during the day :)

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
You beat me to it Lambo...I was going to mention bartender, bouncer, etc... The only reason I don't prefer this arena is that it's easy to get caught up in that lifestyle if you're not focused and disciplined. lol Females can be awful persuading at times! .')

My fav's would be the service industry....most tip jobs..server, concierge, bell, and especially valet. These can be a gold mine at the right hotel in the right city.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Yeh bartending is good if you can keep it to business and making contacts... A lot of people get sucked into that whole nightclub atmosphere/lifestyle though, and before you know it you're sleeping until 2pm every day and living for the night life.

-Hakrjak

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Yeh bartending is good if you can keep it to business and making contacts... A lot of people get sucked into that whole nightclub atmosphere/lifestyle though, and before you know it you're sleeping until 2pm every day and living for the night life.

-Hakrjak
Exactly! Then it makes no difference what the job does for you financially....you'll just piss the money away faster than an inept biz board!

camski

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 24, 2007
Noblesville, IN
The job you are looking for is an outside sales job. You are on your own most of the time and have a very flexible schedule. you can schedule your personal appointments around your sales calls. It can also be very lucrative if you are willing to get out and work. Many time these jobs are 100% commission so the company doesnt care if you take a few hours off here and there becasue they are paying only for your performance.

LamboMP

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Aug 13, 2007
Toronto
The job you are looking for is an outside sales job. You are on your own most of the time and have a very flexible schedule. you can schedule your personal appointments around your sales calls. It can also be very lucrative if you are willing to get out and work. Many time these jobs are 100% commission so the company doesnt care if you take a few hours off here and there becasue they are paying only for your performance.

Problem with this, if you don't sell anything, no money.

Although outside sales is good (if you don't have any other expenses to worry about at the beginning), I think stable income is better at the beginning in my opinion, especially if you're going into real estate. I'm sure some people will disagree with me here.

Good input though !

camski

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 24, 2007
Noblesville, IN
Not all jobs start you out at zero, many start you out with a salary and then transition you into 100% commission. I will grant you that sales isnt for the faint of heart but if you want a job that you can maoe some good money, benefits and tons of flexibility, it is hard to beat.

slim_jim

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 31, 2008
Columbus, OH
Every job is sales. Whether you are selling yourself or a product, to your customer or your boss. What you have is better or more valuable than you competition or co-worker.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Still, sales requires a lot of work and dedication. What you are looking for is a job within a large organization where you can easily become lost, and start working 80% for yourself and 20% for the company. Any sales guys I know hustle hustle hustle from 8-5 and then some.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

jimculler

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 14, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
Anything commission only will have tons of freedom. As stated above though, if you can find a guaranteed income where you can still mess around online or do your own thing, then thats perfect.

You will make more money if you are good at sales on commission only. Of course if you have no sales training, or get nervois rather than confident when trying to sell, then you should look for guaranteed income.

MrPink

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Feb 26, 2008
Toledo, OH
I would have to say being in research science is good for flexibility though the pay is not that great. There are a large number of areas - rats, chemicals, computing, measuring (ie. many experiements, but of course not all) can be done at any time or day.

The three months for high/elementary school teachers, looks like enough time to possibly put something togher (again a flexibility vs. pay issue).

Mr. Pink

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Yeh but with Sales and commission come the dreaded Quotas. We are constantly hiring sales people at my company, because they rarely last longer than 3-6 months. They are usually kicked to the curb for not meeting quota.

The best ones get paid well and get to drive company BMW's, etc... but that's not really the point of this thread's question, to me... ;)

- Hakrjak :hurray:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.