The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

James.S: Millionaire by 30

jrws

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 9, 2011
Doonside, NSW Australia
Thanks for the advice, but I have actually achieved a lot. I may not be in monatary value, but a lot none the less. I think the issue is here that although you may think I am not doing anything, that I am simply a hopless dreamer looking at only dollar figures, I am not. Those dollar figures are to help me concentrate upon my goal. I am not doing this to look fancy, I am not doing this to impress, I am writting this diary for myself.
It is easier to post here than to write a blog, simply because I will remember this place, always. If you prefer, I can take my goals and enthusasm somewhere else. I don't have an issue. I am sorry if this appears rude in any way shape or form, it is simply my belief.
The future, as I have learnt through exploration, is what you make of it. You may have an ultimate destiny, how you reach that however is up to you. I will oblige you and reread your posts, and determine if they make any more sense to me now.
Thank you for being hard, when I need it. I really am grateful, although it may not come across like that. I have learnt that people who actually care about others, don't give a rats about what they think of that person (giving the advice) but rather state bluntly and without any sugar coating, what needs to be done.
So thank you for that,

James

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Thanks for the advice, but I have actually achieved a lot. I may not be in monatary value, but a lot none the less. I think the issue is here that although you may think I am not doing anything, that I am simply a hopless dreamer looking at only dollar figures, I am not. Those dollar figures are to help me concentrate upon my goal. I am not doing this to look fancy, I am not doing this to impress, I am writting this diary for myself.
It is easier to post here than to write a blog, simply because I will remember this place, always. If you prefer, I can take my goals and enthusasm somewhere else. I don't have an issue. I am sorry if this appears rude in any way shape or form, it is simply my belief.
The future, as I have learnt through exploration, is what you make of it. You may have an ultimate destiny, how you reach that however is up to you. I will oblige you and reread your posts, and determine if they make any more sense to me now.
Thank you for being hard, when I need it. I really am grateful, although it may not come across like that. I have learnt that people who actually care about others, don't give a rats about what they think of that person (giving the advice) but rather state bluntly and without any sugar coating, what needs to be done.
So thank you for that,

James

James,

While you say that you have achieved alot, your restating of goals does not say the same. Here is why.

Let's say that I've never played basketball in my life. I write that my goal is to become a 60% 3-pt shooter in just pickup games. Then 8 months later I say that my goal is now to become a 75% 3-pt shooter.

To anyone who plays basketball, they know how hard it would be to become a 60% 3-pt shooter. They would probably never up their goal to hit 75% because after 8 months of trying they could still be at 40%. However, someone who had never gone out to even try to hit 60% from 3 would haphazardly increase their goal to 75% because they haven't even tried to hit a 3 yet.

BTW, Your post does not appear rude at all. We all welcome your responses.

I would invite you to post what you have learned. It's not because we deserve to even know about it, but by you sitting down and actually writing it, it will force you to think about what you have learned. Sometimes we can be learning the wrong things or just think that we are learning.

deepestblue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
Usually the empty goals on this and other forums are just that. But there is something about the audacity of $1 Trillion in Net Worth that is admirable in my view. I have never heard anyone, ever, state this goal. And remember the guy is 18 years old. Many here didn't start thinking in terms of wealth and goals until their late 20s or 30s or later.

And as a matter of fact, with inflation there is a real chance that the person who will become the first trillionaire is alive today (the word 'trillionaire' comes up in spellcheck proving that it is indeed the 4-minute mile of wealth).

I like your goal, now let's get to work and make it happen and listen to the peeps in this thread who are pushing you to take actionable steps.

jrws

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 9, 2011
Doonside, NSW Australia
From about May to now I have learnt more about myself than I thought possible, I have evolved as a person because instead of just sitting down and doing nothing I have actually gotten off of my butt and knocked on doors, and been knocked back. Anyway, I know who I truly am, I mean I still have a lot to discover, but I don't doubt myself or my abilities one bit.

I may not have a lot of physical evidence to show for it, but mentally I have been preparing myself for a vast amount of wealth. Someone named Jamie McIntyre, who is a mentor and a famous Multi-millionaire in Aus, (whom I have met, shook hands with and told him I would be in his peer group within 5 years XD) says this: "Your finical situation will never exceed your finical intelligence." I don't believe he said it first of course, but it's something that has stuck with me. I may not be worldly (yet) but I have the confidence and enthusiasm.

I have changed my goals multiple times due to the fact that there have been changing circumstances, for the better. I have the opportunity to earn about 50k-150k in my first year at a brokerage job I have found, and the business owner has offered to mentor me on how a business is run as I have already expressed to him, that I don't want to work for someone else all my life, but rather have my own business. He has congratulated me on my honesty. Furthermore, I am learning as much as I possibly can about anything to do with business, and although I don't have a lot of money, I am actually taking action, not just going to seminars, and reading books, but doing something with that knowledge.

As I have said, not a hell of a lot of results to show for it, except that my mental state has improved exponentially and I have grown so much within such a short amount of time.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not challenging you in any way shape or form, but I wish to know, and this is without any rudeness at all (although difficult to project through text).

What gives you the right to give advice? What experiences have you had that enable you to know about the things you state? What have been your successes and failures?

One of the major things I have learnt is fail fast, and fail often. Again, I am sorry if my first question appears to be rude, it is not meant to, I just simply want to know why you can give advice, what gives you the right. For example if M.J. had said the same things as you have, he (obviously) has experience to back it up.

I hope I haven't offended you or miscommunicated in any way. It is my sincere wish to actually learn from people who know what they are talking about. And I believe that you may, but I don't actually know. Anyway, thank you for actually taking the time to care about an 18 year old who keeps changing ambitions and is undecided on many things, except for the impossible.
I wish you the best on any future endeavors,
James

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I have changed my goals multiple times due to the fact that there have been changing circumstances, for the better. I have the opportunity to earn about 50k-150k in my first year at a brokerage job I have found, and the business owner has offered to mentor me on how a business is run as I have already expressed to him, that I don't want to work for someone else all my life, but rather have my own business. He has congratulated me on my honesty. Furthermore, I am learning as much as I possibly can about anything to do with business, and although I don't have a lot of money, I am actually taking action, not just going to seminars, and reading books, but doing something with that knowledge.

What gives you the right to give advice? What experiences have you had that enable you to know about the things you state? What have been your successes and failures?

One of the major things I have learnt is fail fast, and fail often. Again, I am sorry if my first question appears to be rude, it is not meant to, I just simply want to know why you can give advice, what gives you the right. For example if M.J. had said the same things as you have, he (obviously) has experience to back it up.

I wish you the best on any future endeavors,
James

Hi James,

The fact that your circumstances are changing shouldn't change your goals unless you have surpassed them already. Just because you might make $150k this year doesn't mean much unless you actually make $150k. You may have read alot and learned alot, but without actually doing anything it's pointless.

I am giving you this advice because I see so many people who talk the big talk. I personally don't talk big, but when I set goals I work to achieve them. I would not set a goal without a plan because then it's just meaningless talk.

But the bigger point is that I try to achieve goals and I stick with them. For example, back in March this year, the goal I made was to purchase a Ferrari by the end of the year. To achieve this goal I had to increase my revenue by a certain amount and the Ferrari was my reward. This was my motivation for the year and I was able to buy the Ferrari last month (it's in my avatar). When I set the goal, I had a decent plan in mind on how to achieve it and then I did it. Many people set a goal and give up within the next week. They don't even take step one. The reason I'm on your case in this thread is because you do come back and update it (which is great), but you are not doing. You say that you are learning, but reading books all day doesn't get you anywhere. You can't fail if you haven't done anything, so how do you fail fast and fail often?

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Sure, you can do it but that is all you will ever have in life. Money. Say goodbye to family, friends, loved ones and everything else. You might as well not even eat because you wont have time for that either, all you will have time to do is sit in a office for about 18 hours a day 365 until your about 90 years old. Your goal is actually pretty pathetic and comes from you being an 18 year old with little understanding of how things work.

D

DeletedUser2

Go look at Felix Dennis.

He said somethign very telling about making billions. there is a cost. a HUGE cost. if money is the only thing in life. it might be worth it. but it better be your only thing at a billion plus.

;you might be surprised at how comfortable you can be with just a few million. really, its about what are you going to do with it? really

heck even bill gates couldnt spend it all in his life time. so he is giving half away.

jrws

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 9, 2011
Doonside, NSW Australia
Indeed, well considering atm I don't have any friends, I got that down o.k. but I wish people would understand the reason I have set the bar so high is because I want to be able to push my self to the highest limits. yes, I understand you may think I will burn out, but I am not stupid, I am not simply going to be working as you say, for 18hrs a day. Rather I will work for as long a necessary in the beginning to get the systems set up. I am actually a very spiritual person, and always find time no matter what I am doing, to be with my family, and to meditate and ponder.

Thanks for the concern though :)

James

D

DeletedUser394

Sigh..

Do you live on your own, pay your own bills, and have a job or some kind of income source? Because the real world is a bitch.

I had so many BHAGs, extreme goals, elaborate charts/schemes/whatever you want to call them... these things are ultimately irrelevant when you get out of the house and try to make it on your own.

Start by figuring out how to make $1 outside of a job and using your time. If you can do that, then go to $10, etc. Going from $0-$1T and infusing random numbers into charts/graphs is going to get you nowhere.

I know you think you know everything. I've been there done that.

A few of the most successful people on this entire forum have given you great advice that you have pretty much shrugged off.. Why? Because you know better right? You know more about business/life than the guy that just bought a ferrari (see the car in his avatar? That's HIS, not just some stupid picture wannabes and dreamers put up), another one who is a serial entrepreneur/consultant, and a person who bought their first rental property at age 19. Sure you do.

I'd wish you good luck, but you don't need it, because golly gee you've probably read 100s of self help/business books so you are pretty much guaranteed to make one trillion dollars by age 60.

You may not be stupid, but you are certainly naive. We've all been there. You'll come around eventually.

rexxkai

Lazy Noob
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Apr 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I would not set a goal without a plan because then it's just meaningless talk.

But the bigger point is that I try to achieve goals and I stick with them. For example, back in March this year, the goal I made was to purchase a Ferrari by the end of the year. To achieve this goal I had to increase my revenue by a certain amount and the Ferrari was my reward. This was my motivation for the year and I was able to buy the Ferrari last month (it's in my avatar). When I set the goal, I had a decent plan in mind on how to achieve it and then I did it. Many people set a goal and give up within the next week. They don't even take step one. The reason I'm on your case in this thread is because you do come back and update it (which is great), but you are not doing. You say that you are learning, but reading books all day doesn't get you anywhere. You can't fail if you haven't done anything, so how do you fail fast and fail often?

Awesome thread!!

I completely agree with Biophase. When we set goals, we REALLY NEED to STICK WITH THEM. And when we set the goals, we need to HAVE A PLAN on HOW TO ACHIEVE THE GOAL.

I have been trying to start a green company lately, and my goal is to keep pushing toward getting that company launched, and putting effort into that every single day. However, sometimes I feel tired or lazy and so I stop for a day or two, but I still continue to push toward my goal after my day(s) of resting. But my problem is that I tend to not focus enough on what I am suppose to do and I start looking at green news to postpone my action...

So we really do need to PERSERVERE and KEEP ON PUSHING when the going gets tough.

jrws

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 9, 2011
Doonside, NSW Australia
I don't quite understand what people don't seem to get something here:
I AM ONLY AMINING FOR 1 TRILLION. There is no guarentee, if I was able to get 0.001% of that, I'd be happy. I don't know how else to explain it, I am simply saying it is a goal that is supposed to be near impossible. I don't need all that money, because I would give it all away anyway, but it is simply a goal. You may think that I am not listening at all. Fine, believe that then. You may think I am an idiot, or naive. Fine believe that then. The point is, I am not here to debate what my goal is, I know it is really far out there. I know you would think I am going to be disappointed if I cannot do such things. But I won't, as I am doing this for far more than money. I am doing this for my family.
I may not be as successful as everyone here, who got a Ferrari by making it their goal, or buying my first rental at 19. But I don't care, thats them, not me. I wish them the best of luck and congradulate them on their success. I will have my own, and when I do, it is going to be a good story.
I haven't given up, and I certainly won't. I don't know how I can let you guys understand this... I do appreciate the responses, I welcome any criticism, as long as they take my rebuttal in return. You have all had a lot more experience than me, and for that, I am willing to learn from you, and your mistakes as well as your successes. I am not claming anything, that I am brilliant that I know everything, theory is just theory until you put it into practice...
Please understand that I am not saying that you are wrong, or right, nor do I believe that I am 100% correct. But you need to understand that I am not stupid. Money is only an energy, and an amplifier of who you are, it doesn't bring happiness as such, although it can help. Money to me is not the be all and end all, rather it is the journey of the goal.
I can't make it much clearer than that.

James

jrws

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 9, 2011
Doonside, NSW Australia
Well I start the brokerage job tomorrow, just started a transfer of $40 so I can get aweber and a new domain name. Transfer takes around 5days (ish) meaning I have that much time to get an idea together. Already have a few, might need to customize... If all goes well then it will be up in about 6 days time (1 day after transfer) and I will have everything set up to get started on making some money. My first goal is to make $1 or more from this idea, as I have made some money from fiverr before, so it's not exactly my first dollar online. Once I have made my first $1 then I am aiming to make enough money to cover costs, aweber ($19 p/m), hosting ($5 p/m), domain name ($10 p/y) so in all I need to make about $50 to cover costs, and a bit more. Once that is done next plan is to make $10 p/d consistently, then $100 p/w, $100 p/d, $1000 p/w.
I am going to record everything I do, successful or not in my MITM diary. Once I am able to reach the 1000 p/w, I simply replicate it, and then see if I can't expand business into other things. Find that fastlane need, and go for it.
These goals are a lot more manageable, than the $1 trillion, although that is still the end in mind ;)

James

jrws

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 9, 2011
Doonside, NSW Australia
Not too bad, I am planning my business on the side because I am now being charged rent etc, and I need to income, I have learnt quite a lot from this business, but if I don't learn anymore from it, then I am leaving to work for a friend who is willing to be my mentor, and has been in business for 20 years. I am also going to do a reassessment of what I want, and how I am going to get it. The ultimate goal still does not change, but I want to know my road map of how I am going to get there. Thanks for asking though. And I apologize for being such a dick before, immaturity does that, I have grown quite a lot in only two months, what with my responsibilities, and I am going to reread all the posts that people have said and see if from this now more mature (not the greatest as I am still very much a kid) understanding and make heads and tails of what the message is. I hope all is well for you, wishing you the best of health,
James

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.