The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Jamaica , Reality and Resolve

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
That's awesome! What high school did you go to in kgn for that year? That is really, really awesome.

I went to Holy Childhood. Man, I haven't thought about that place in a while. I lived toward the west end of town, or maybe out of town a bit. The area starts with a "b" but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. The buses were so crazy - for this Montana girl, anyway. I rode them to and from school every day, we were packed in like sardines, and I was pretty sure that we had a near death experience approximately once a week. Then, there were all the love notes boys always passed to me on the bus - because I was a "whitey" LOL

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
Everyone down here is pretty judgemental - and has set ideas about what is supposed to be and what isn't. And have no desire to experience new things - I've stopped going out really..because every night is the same night...I've lived it hundreds of times now. Same ppl standing up watching each other, same Djs/Selectors. Same friends since high school or prep school...
I basically see who I could grow into being...and I don't want to be any of those people or live their lives.

Exactly and the difference between jamaica and other countries is that even if there is corruption there is a proper system you can go through and get what needs to be done ...DONE while growing some wealth for yourself. In jamaica there is no such system and even lacks the proper infrastructure to support any ideas from concept to fruition.

BY the time you are finished greasing a couple palms or paying some shush-shush money you may ask yourself if it even was worth it.

Interestingly , because of the lack of proper systems the fast lane opportunities are abundant because majority are not brave to undertake them because of the risk involved or the massive amount of wits you need to have about you in order to stay afloat in the jamaican economy/market.

The last is the most painful thing in Jamaica and that is the ignorance of people towards change and that's when I would really rant...

Zulu

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Mar 14, 2013
Kingston - DC - Everywhere in Between
I went to Holy Childhood. Man, I haven't thought about that place in a while. I lived toward the west end of town, or maybe out of town a bit. The area starts with a "b" but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. The buses were so crazy - for this Montana girl, anyway. I rode them to and from school every day, we were packed in like sardines, and I was pretty sure that we had a near death experience approximately once a week. Then, there were all the love notes boys always passed to me on the bus - because I was a "whitey" LOL

LOL, I can imagine it. Man that's really awesome, I have a couple friends that went to Holy Childhood. :)

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
@AroundTheWorld , too funny its still the same as when you left:D

One thing I remember is that there were very definite "rules" about interactions between young men and women. For example, I lived in a house with teenage girls. There was this long standing family friend that was a teen guy. He came by one time to see the family, and they weren't home yet, but I knew they would be home in about 10 minutes. I invited him in and we sat in the living room. (As would be polite in the states)

WRONG!!!

Oh, man. The family got so upset when they got home. Apparently, I shouldn't have invited him in. Instead we should have sat on the veranda and waited.

I was also *shocked* to learn that the mom in my host family didn't marry for love - rather pretty much for survival. She went on to tell me that many women did the same (married, but not for love)

Are those types of (what I could consider) cultural practices still the same today?

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
I couldnt agree with you more, party social scene is the same crap every night of the week, but the people still go back for more of the same music same people same selector bs, maybe keeping parties could be a jamican fastlane .... im into aviaton and thay is pretty much dead down here, thats why I started to think about starting my own thing . Still finding it hard to come up with good ideas, everything you try to bring into this country is taxed so high you wonder if it makes any sense.....

I have four friends heading fresh into the field and the tuition is expensive so the debts are through the roof and there heading into the unknown...I am so glad I woke before I went to utech.
I am looking at skills to export out of the country because of all the taxes lol......they wanted to even to put a tax on bank transactions.
What I see working for my friend is internet marketing related work and welcomes leaving Jamaica sometimes 4 months up to a time to network and shake a few hands.

His process is slightly slow lane but the only boss he has is himself.

yahdmon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
May 3, 2012
I live in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
All true statements marklov. When it is all said and done it is all about the culture. Ut has the masses trapped and hook like fish on a line. Try introducing anything outside the norm and you are sure to get yourself in trouble. The problem is, there is no end in sight. If left untouched, it will continue in decline from generation to generation and that sucks. By the way, what goes on in these busses carrying school boys and girls is nothing like any of us who used to ride have seen before. This present generation is out of hand and they are the future JA of 2032 or thereabouts.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Zulu

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Mar 14, 2013
Kingston - DC - Everywhere in Between
One thing I remember is that there were very definite "rules" about interactions between young men and women. For example, I lived in a house with teenage girls. There was this long standing family friend that was a teen guy. He came by one time to see the family, and they weren't home yet, but I knew they would be home in about 10 minutes. I invited him in and we sat in the living room. (As would be polite in the states)
WRONG!!!
Oh, man. The family got so upset when they got home. Apparently, I shouldn't have invited him in. Instead we should have sat on the veranda and waited.
I was also *shocked* to learn that the mom in my host family didn't marry for love - rather pretty much for survival. She went on to tell me that many women did the same (married, but not for love)
Are those types of (what I could consider) cultural practices still the same today?

Thinking about it for a bit, that could be considered normal - Re: male female interaction. But in my mind I could only really understand it in 1 of 2 ways..:
1. The family was really religious
2. They over played how upset they were for social reasons - or to get someone to think a certain way about them

Concerning the marriage for survival vibe - Yup, still very common practice. Not only survival though - status too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...