• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

EXECUTION I've Given Up on Chasing Money... Time to Start Chasing Passion

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by Symphony, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Symphony

Symphony Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $139
    Hey Peeps,

I'll make a fairly long story, as short as I can.

I got onto this forum about 3 or so years ago by now and got inspired by Sinister Lex to try out Copywriting on Upwork.

I had just been dismissed from med school and had literally no idea what to do with my life.

Because I'm a naturally pretty good writer, I found decent success on Upwork and was shortly able to live on my own pretty comfortably. At one point I was making around ~$2000 USD per week. So- not bad.

That all went to hell pretty quick though. I was chasing money and decided to leap at some opportunities that would help me get "stable" quicker.

Didn't work out well. On top of that, I started getting burned out by the fact that I wasn't necessarily loving the work. Plus a bunch of other stuff.

At the end of it all, two weeks ago I was feeling so depressed that for the first time I think I could understand why people choose suicide. I'm not in favor of that, so I decided that instead of living an empty, unhappy & purposeless life, I'd start the long grind to something that can at least make me happy- if not rich.

Which basically brings us here.

I'm starting from scratch and here's the plan so far.

Build a Business around eSports

As far back as I can remember, I've loved gaming and I've always been an avid athlete. (Led my HS rugby team undefeated for a year)

So the recent emergence of eSports -and my love for fighting ans strategy games like: Smash 4, League of Legends & Street Fighter- has given me the only decent hint I've had about something I can build that's: Fastlane & makes me happy- so I'm going with it.

My plan is this:

Short -> Medium Term
    - Establish a livable freelance income
    - Build a personal brand around eSports
    - Monetize the brand (Both Fast-lane and non-Fastlane options)

Medium -> Long Term

- Establish Information product(s) for gamers (Fast lane style)
    - Produce some kind of Self-improvement product for people like me- just stuck in the mud of their own potential

How I'll be Using this Thread

This thread will pretty much be just so you guys can kick my a$$ if you see me do something stupid. (Or not- so I can learn the hard way).

I'm also using this as a measuring stick so that I won't be kidding myself about the amount of effort I put in.

I'm excited about this new journey, I actually feel alive chasing this and I'm SUPER sick and tired of living life between average and depressed. I've been trying to copy other people and make quick money too much. I guess I'm just not skilled like that- at least not yet.

I'll be buying MJ's second book as soon as I get some cash together and I'm going to be reading both of his books over and over until I can recite them.

Anywhoozle.

Peace.

P.S. Hopefully some of you guys read this and have some advice. I'm a pretty decent writer, so if you guys need help in that department, please feel free to message me or comment below.

Shortypants and david.rutgos like this.
  2. sparechange

sparechange Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,160
    do you plan on hosting tournaments?

Fathazard likes this.
  3. Symphony

Rep Bank:
    $139
    That wasn't one of the avenue's I had considered seriously yet. I'll look into it though. There's an emerging scene where I'm from (Trinidad) and I've been exploring ways to help bridge the gap between the caribbean and the larger eSports scene.

Tourneys aren't really my thing so far- too much logistics right now BUT, I can imagine how they'd be useful for building an eSports brand/team

sparechange likes this.
  4. sparechange

Rep Bank:
    $4,160
    so how do you plan on building a brand?

AgainstAllOdds likes this.
  5. Symphony

Rep Bank:
    $139
    Well, I'm already a pretty decently qualified digital marketer and I have some good ideas that I don't wanna go into too much detail on. But basically, I've identified a few pretty massive needs in the communities that I frequent.

I plan on establishing a home base (i.e. website/blog) and marketing myself via social media while I develop my information product.

I'll do so by creating a bunch of entertaining/educational free content. I'll start monetizing through the "typical" gamer/personal brand routes like selling apparel + streaming. I'm also going to explore affiliate marketing options for things like gaming equipment etc.

sparechange likes this.
  6. sparechange

Rep Bank:
    $4,160
    streaming is way to over saturated & dont really like the idea of affiliate marketing.

your best bet is to organize tournaments and become ''a brand''

thats your best shot at becoming ''fastlane''

AgainstAllOdds likes this.
  7. Symphony

Rep Bank:
    $139
    Think you can provide me an example of a tournament hositng brand? I'm not sure I'm connecting the dots on your suggestion.

Do you mean like 2gg? I also don't see necessarily how I can make that fast lane. I mean- I can sorta but I'd like to be sure I'm understanding.

Also- I didn't mean to go grind streaming and hope to make massive success doing that.

I actually intend to do it in reverse. Meaning- get the following first, then funnel that into streaming as another income stream.

8. sparechange

Rep Bank:
    $4,160
  9. Aaron T

Aaron T Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,680
    Well those guys built a highly successful billion dollar video game franchise with hundreds of millions invested and a very large team BEFORE they built the eSports around it and Brand to boot.

@Symphony that is one of those long goals. On your short term, have you thought about building a smaller brand and hosting eSports tournaments in Trinidad? I would see if you can get some local businesses to perhaps sponsor you. Host it at a place that would benefit from the exposure.

For example:
    A local restaurant that could use some traffic. Work with them to host the event at their location on a slow night. Promote it. You will need to invest in a pair or more of excellent gaming computers or consoles (computers better.) You provide the equipment, MC the event. They host it and provide some small minimal prize. They also maybe do something like discounted food for the event. You can attract maybe 25-50 people or whatever is reasonable. They show up. Enjoy themselves. Get a nice little prize. You have a name. You do again at another place. Your Brand may get around word of mouth or otherwise, and you can expand the concept from there.

Super small, but something that can scale out, provides a service to local businesses and gets a bunch of kids, people, involved personally in a fun activity that is safe. I don't know. I am just throwing ideas off the cuff, but I think there is something you can do around the concept that could lead to the bigger thing. Action is important.

10. sparechange

Rep Bank:
    $4,160
    thats amazing advice

Aaron T likes this.
  11. Aaron T

Aaron T Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,680
    Thank you! I am just thinking of something that is possible and now I kind of want to do something like this but as a fundraising event.

Anyway I am sure the idea has been done, but in an area like Trinidad (to which I have been and absolutely love the food OMG) i would think this concept could actually help keep kids safe, give them something fun to do, raise a little money and awareness for the local business and could grow. IDK.

Symphony likes this.
  12. Ninjakid

Ninjakid Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,076
    What do you mean by eSports brand? Is it like a team or...? Can you give me something similar to compare it to?

Aaron T and AgainstAllOdds like this.
  13. AgainstAllOdds

AgainstAllOdds Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $63,936
    Something doesn't add up. Just find $10 and buy the book.

lewj24, Ronak, MattR82 and 3 others like this.
  14. Symphony

Rep Bank:
    $139
    It's not that it doesn't add up. I just didn't give all the context since I didn't want to be a whiny lil bitch.

Everything I've made over the last couple months (mostly from a couple old clients and day jobs) I've put into helping my parents out of a tough spot.

So as of this moment- literally dead broke.

I've already begun looking at some quick ways to get some money and I'll have some liquidity in a couple days.

I'm not just sitting on my a$$ lol. I assure you

15. Symphony

Rep Bank:
    $139
    What I had in mind was a team for the medium -> long-term. What I was thinking of in the meantime was a personal brand.

Provide a consistent source of value in the forms of: entertainment, education etc and build a following who I'd then sell move value to once I have a relationship.

I'm basically applying "1000 true fans" logic to my situation.

Aaron T likes this.
  16. Symphony

Rep Bank:
    $139
    Really value this piece of input. As well as all the others.

I hadn't been thinking of approaching the situation like this so far. I'll have to put some thought into it and do some testing to see if the idea works into my long-term plan as well as my personality.

Part of my decision making has been focusing on shit I can do all the time. I'm not sure I'm much of an organizer- but I won't make that an excuse. I'll at the least give the idea a try- I definitely see how it can deliver value.

Aaron T likes this.
  17. Symphony

Rep Bank:
    $139
    I see the value and yeah- Trini food is A1 lol

Aaron T likes this.
  18. Symphony

Rep Bank:
    $139
    I'm taking a number of steps to get to my fast lane idea. I have a completely fast lane idea that I've already started working on BUT in the mean time I need money to live on- hence all the other shit.

In terms of Fast Lane projects, I've got 1 idea that's fully fast lane. (already slow building up by hand) I've got 1 other idea that's slightly less fast lane since it still involves trading time for money BUT there's a LOT of leverage involved and I'd be happy doing it- so I think it's worthwhile to pursue.

19. Symphony

Rep Bank:
    $139
    Things to accomplish today:

- Set up profiles on 2 new freelance sites I found
    - Add at least 20 relevant businesses to my list of prospects (I'll be doing the research by hand, then sending off cold emails)
    - Send the emails, not using a template but by hand constructing emails after reading through website content

20. Symphony

Rep Bank:
    $139
    I know.... I'm not great managing money or making spending decisions- It was my first time and the lesson has been learned the hard way.

AgainstAllOdds and Aaron T like this.
  21. Aaron T

Rep Bank:
    $6,680
    If you learned from it, then it is valuable indeed. Most of us weren't born being able to manage money well. I have struggled with that early on myself. I hope you do better for your next ventures!

Symphony and AgainstAllOdds like this.
  22. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $386,965
    Admin Post
    [​IMG]

lewj24, Ronak, StevieB and 7 others like this.
  23. jpanarra

jpanarra Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $16,696
    [​IMG]

24. Ninjakid

Ninjakid Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,076
    I understand that, but what does your brand actually do?

Let me give you an example: Tapout built an enormous brand around MMA, and I remember like 10 years when they were really popular. But fundamentally their business came down to selling clothes, and their brand grew from that.

I definitely agree that building a brand is effective, but what's your avenue of reaching people and getting them to buy your brand?

Also, if you're trying to build back your money, go back to Upwork? $2000 USD a week is pretty dope

25. Fred Chevry

Fred Chevry Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,230
    Could you please clarify something for me?

Why don't you create a business that leverages the C.E.N.T.S. and then do whatever you please using the money you made?

Reading your post I feel like you saying: "The Fastlane failed me, so I'm going for passion", but it's pretty evident that your misery was partially caused by your self employment situation, which is no better than having a dead end job in many regards.

Also, do you have any purpose, aspirations, goals or objectives?

Thank you.

Symphony likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.