The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I've built a tech affiliate site with 150k Pageviews and 50k Users. How to I better monetize it?

ToySoldier

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 19, 2017
Toronto
Hey guys!

I've got one semester left until graduation, and I've got a problem.

The Numbers

My affiliate site Tech Under 10 has been doing well the past few months. A combination of high sharability (thanks to the nature of the site,) and great SEO ranking have provided me a constant source of traffic. Since launch in mid-2016, I've hit almost 150k pageviews and 50k users in nine months- many of which are males between 18-35. Here's the problem.

Bankrupt-ish
A recent change in their payout policy has caused all affiliate sites selling electronics-related items to earn between 1-4%, as opposed to their previous payout method, which scaled based on products sold. Amazon's affiliate program is no longer viable. Since most of my products are in the "tech" payout categories, they're earning me pennies on the dollar. I want to get back to earning a few hundred bucks a day with this site- I know it's possible.

Where do I go from Here?
So at this point, I'm at a loss. I've got this site full of awesome products with a ton of traffic, but I'm not making anywhere near what I feel I could be earning with this much traffic. Do I throw ads on the site? Do I start selling my own products? Do I sell it? How do I convert the traffic to money?

TL;DR How would you monetize a tech site with 150k pageviews and 50k users?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
779%
May 5, 2014
Check out Will from One Mans Brand, he got hit hard from Amazon's Associate payout change and increased his revenue

How I increased revenue by 86% in just one month! - One Mans Brand

If you havent read the book you should, this is a prime example of lack of control. Im all about affiliate marketing because once its set you can make a solid income but you should diversify. Can you sell a product you sell on your site? Can you create more websites in different niche sites?

I'd remove your URL from this post because people have, can and will steal info especially when they see straight up examples.

Good luck man

ToySoldier

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 19, 2017
Toronto
Check out Will from One Mans Brand, he got hit hard from Amazon's Associate payout change and increased his revenue

How I increased revenue by 86% in just one month! - One Mans Brand

If you havent read the book you should, this is a prime example of lack of control. Im all about affiliate marketing because once its set you can make a solid income but you should diversify. Can you sell a product you sell on your site? Can you create more websites in different niche sites?

I'd remove your URL from this post because people have, can and will steal info especially when they see straight up examples.

Good luck man

Control is key- you're absolutely right. I guess this is a prime example of how missing an element of CENTS can severely hinder your business. I've got a few ideas cooking to help build out my following, and offer users additional value. I've got a small network of affiliate sites slowly growing, that'll offer a much higher payout than my main site.

If someone wanted to find my site, it's not too hard. I'm pretty transparent when it comes to things like this. Competition's healthy- all the major affiliate sites draw some elements from each other at the end of the day!

Thanks for the insight :)

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GuestUser450

Don't monetize, build a real store. You're very close to having something here.
Stop feeding people to amazon.
Find all of your current bestsellers (that aren't branded) on aliexpress.
Migrate the site to shopify and use oberlo to dropship.
Learn FB ads (quick tip - stop the video reviews on youtube - try FB video ads instead - they're very cheap right now, and just talking about/showing the product is often enough.)
Test new product ideas.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
Do sponsored content/posts.

Reach out to some of the great products you currently have listed from amz as well as new products. Show them the number of sales you have brought to them or others (back up everything with real data).

Offer to do articles on your site for their products on a CPA or flat fee basis.

I know I'd be interested something like this for my products if you could prove you have the traffic and numbers make sense.

Amazon selling is a huge money maker for the those "selling shovels to miners" right now. There are a ton of products and people looking to give their listing the winning edge. Try and capitalize on that maybe.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.