The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

It's so easy to get lazy.

Anything related to matters of the mind

Blair

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Mar 4, 2014
New Zealand
Just need to rant about how easy it is to not be successful, if you want to get out the rat race you need to work and sometimes it is bloody tiring. Your body and your mind are by default programmed for short term satisfaction and happiness, hence look at all the fat people in todays society. Their mind knows they shouldn’t be having unhealthy food in the long term but it doesn’t care. The mind loves getting short term satisfaction. It could be as simple as that sugary sweet, taking that person home from the bar at the end of the night, skipping that class or sleeping in for several extra hours.

In a way I believe the mind isn’t smart enough to program itself for long term satisfaction. You may have goals and dreams and aspirations as to what you want to achieve in the long term but unless you want it bad enough to change your short term self you will never get there. It sounds like a harsh reality and it is and I don’t care if this makes you feel guilty because it needs to be said. Your long term goals will never be met without making short term changes over and over again.

The problem with this is you need to be disciplined, and depending on what your goals are you may need to be a little disciplined or extremely. I’m guilty of getting lazy, one month ago I was getting up at 5-5.30am 6 out of 7 days of the week, having a cold shower and working. As winter got closer and the mornings got darker and darker I slowly found myself waking at 5.45, then 6, then 6.15 and now I have settled around the 7am mark. Now I am doing this because my mind and body tells me to stay in bed, it is happy being there. Why wouldn’t it be? It’s warm and ‘safe’. The thing is my body was fine getting up at 5-5.30 I didn’t die, I didn’t burn out and I was giving myself approx. 12 hours more productivity every week.

People say they don’t have time to do things yet they sleep till 9am every day. If you get up at 6am instead of 9am you have all of a sudden created 21 more potentially productive hours in a week which equates to giving yourself a second weekend. You can now use these 21 hours to go to the gym, build a business, spend time with loved ones or take up a new hobby.

Rant over.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
You're right, I had to train my brain everyday. Basically after awhile you're not lazy because you've done it so many times it's just natural after awhile.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The real enemy within all of us is our mind, our brain, and the things we tell ourselves. The problem is, our brains are hard-wired to look for the short-cuts, to seek pleasure, and to avoid pain. None of these are conducive to Fastlane (or success) which is why there is a 1% and a 99%. 99% is the default setting.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Whenever I (for some reason) tell people like my family about trying to become free and working hard to build something yada yada, they always mention the lottery. While it would be cool to have a lot of money, I tell them that would be boring getting it too easily....that would make people extremely lazy having it that way. What I would prefer to have easily, however, is the basic needs met. I find it really annoying spending time doing things for others or worrying constantly about trying to have needs met while trying to think about a bigger picture that you can go Fastlane with. I start to think I'm lazy, but then it's like, "No, you aren't afraid of hard work...you just want to reap the benefits of when you do work hard and hit that success point...if you fail, it's on you, if you make it, you get rewarded." It's almost like I need to build a system that provides enough value to others just to cover the basic needs of myself, while thinking about something bigger to scale. Don't mean to hijack thread in any way...the lazy rant just got me thinking about past convos I've had and my own thoughts about the topic.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I always heard it's the human conditioning for an excuse. There's nothing you can do about it they say. Get any minimum wage job. Be responsible with that load of crap. I have to laugh on this forum because sometimes I think people are saying, you're still lazy until you're a millionaire because you didn't work hard enough.

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 15, 2013
This is quite funny because I was literally thinking of this today. When you become more disciplined and taking care of your life you just feel great. And then the dip comes when you have off day, days, weeks or even months and that off days feel much worse now when you are taking care of your life than it was before. And they can also be for a longer time.

I think it's because now you have a new standard for your life and when you fall back (like we all do from time to time) you are falling further away from that image of your new standard and you feel much worse because of it. Also I think why sometimes the downsides can take much longer is because once you are on a roll, you workout, eat good, working on your business, you are taking a high dose of discipline your'e not use too. You are exploring something new and scary. And unknown pattern.

So when you have a dip, you fall back into "old patterns", the "safe patterns". And because you now are back into the "safe patterns", your mind will try to fight harder to keep you there. To protect you and keep you safe.

Aubrey Marcus and Dr. Dan Engles talks about similar things in this podcast. starts at 13.20

Ajay2390

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jan 27, 2014
London, UK
Im going through a lazy period atm. I have 2 lists for goals. 1. Short term/mon-friday Goals. 2. Long term/6-12 month goals. I am smashing the easiest most shortest goals on the list, and when i cross them off, i look at the others and then instantly think of the duration and effort of the goal and become sidetracked(Lazy). Then start reading....(i should be smashing my goals at this point):facepalm: These longer goals are definitely unknown territory to me. Maybe i fear the failure...could be so, its all in my friggin head.

I am working on time management now. Any recommendations that worked for you?

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 15, 2013
Im going through a lazy period atm. I have 2 lists for goals. 1. Short term/mon-friday Goals. 2. Long term/6-12 month goals. I am smashing the easiest most shortest goals on the list, and when i cross them off, i look at the others and then instantly think of the duration and effort of the goal and become sidetracked(Lazy). Then start reading....(i should be smashing my goals at this point):facepalm: These longer goals are definitely unknown territory to me. Maybe i fear the failure...could be so, its all in my friggin head.

I am working on time management now. Any recommendations that worked for you?

What worked for me in regards to time management is to write down a to-do list that you will do everyday. If you want to be specific then write down the time for each task or plan your whole day.

Example:
8.00 gym
10.00 working on x project
11.00 working on y project
12.00 eat

Another thing that has been a REALLY big help for me to get productive in the day is to do some sort of task in the morning right after you wake up. Do it 100% and no half a$$. Once you have done it, you then have put yourself in this "achieving mode" that will follow you for the rest of the day.

I know for myself the days when I wake up and have things to do, but maybe check Facebook before, or in between the project. Maybe put that great song as a motivation and interrupt my work flow, or maybe just go and make coffee and small break in between. Then my whole day become like that. Better to wake up and just get the first project done with 100% concentration, and then you can make coffee and all the other things.

I wake up, do the 1 task and then move on, my whole day becomes 100x more disciplined and productive.

Today for example, I cleaned the apartment when I woke up, and the rest of the day I was in this productive mode :).

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Whenever I (for some reason) tell people like my family about trying to become free and working hard to build something yada yada, they always mention the lottery. While it would be cool to have a lot of money, I tell them that would be boring getting it too easily....that would make people extremely lazy having it that way. What I would prefer to have easily, however, is the basic needs met. I find it really annoying spending time doing things for others or worrying constantly about trying to have needs met while trying to think about a bigger picture that you can go Fastlane with. I start to think I'm lazy, but then it's like, "No, you aren't afraid of hard work...you just want to reap the benefits of when you do work hard and hit that success point...if you fail, it's on you, if you make it, you get rewarded." It's almost like I need to build a system that provides enough value to others just to cover the basic needs of myself, while thinking about something bigger to scale. Don't mean to hijack thread in any way...the lazy rant just got me thinking about past convos I've had and my own thoughts about the topic.
If I was to win the lottery (unlikely because I don't play) I would just take it as a very easily gained capital to invest as I see fit ;)

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
OP is correct, so you need to reprogram how you think about things so that it's in your selfish interest to be "disciplined." Don't like getting up early to work out? Think selfishly about how much better looking you'll be, or think about how much more your spouse will want to be intimate.

Running a company is hard work? Learn to enjoy making other people happy. Every time we do a job well and a customer happily pays me, I am happy. So (without delving into philosophy to deep) learn to make other people happy with your actions, and value you doing something, and you will selfishly pursue making others happy--because that gives your brain a treat of happiness.

Rewire the way you think about the pros and cons of laying in bed instead of going to the gym. It's not a pro that you're warm and snuggly and comfortable! I hate laying in bed. You're losing time, you're losing daylight. You're delaying a fit body from happening. You're trading a dream world for the real world. You're letting others get out of bed and snatch up opportunities you'll never see because you were sleeping. You're trading 1 hour closer to that "lambo" for one hour stuck on the sidewalk.

You know why most people in lambos tend to be happy? Because they viewed the world as an opportunity, got up and chased that opportunity. They're happy because they traded a dream world for a real world where they knew that tenacity and hard work would pay off. They're happy because they found a way to bring value to people, and they enjoy bringing that value.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
You know why most people in lambos tend to be happy? Because they viewed the world as an opportunity, got up and chased that opportunity. They're happy because they traded a dream world for a real world where they knew that tenacity and hard work would pay off.

Rep for that quote and will copy paste to a file.

Elliot Hulse, "we go through cycles".

TaylorB

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jul 10, 2014
Currently in Calgary/Kelowna
Lists are big for me as well. It tells the mind you have achieved a mini goal. Typically when I'm most productive I write down my most important tasks for tomorrow and then the ones I'd like to do. When I wake up I got the day ready to work. I've always admired the people who can wake up at 6am! I'm more of a night owl, I typically wake up 10am and work till about 2am. I guess that's what happens when you're not 9-5 :)

Tengen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Needed to read this. I'm going on 2 months (!) working on this damn ebook and it's wearing on me. It shouldn't be anything complicated, but i keep finding myself in lazy states of mind, waking up late, nitpicking over minor details and getting distracted by unimportant things.

There's such a lack of progress that even my mother is grating on me, harping on about why i'm not cleaning up my CV or applying for more jobs.

I know that all i need to do is get this shit done to get the ball rolling, but it's hard to push past this laziness barrier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Jul 30, 2014
Poland, EU
This is this kind of topics I just love to read. It's important to remind ourselves, that we are programmed to work minimally and gratify our needs in the fastest (easiest) way. I try. I was lazy as f*ck just a while ago (about 2 months from now). After reading fastlane philosophy, I've been changing everyday. I started to count money i spend and get up earlier. I used to wake up around 11-12pm, now, after reading fastlane I was waking up at 10 pm, now I get up at 8am. In a couple months, I'll try to wake up at 6-7 every day, not earlier as I go to bed around 1-2 am. I want to sleep 6 hours a day, as It's minimal amount to work normally and even feel fresh. Just a simple diet and regular sleeping hours- this is the secret. And, of course, it takes some time to get used to it, but this is the same rule like getting used to sleep 10-12 hours a day which is such a waste of time...

It's hard. Even though I want to be rich so much, this need, this hunger to buy is so strong! But each time I want to buy something useless, I remember the book. I remind myself about fastlane. F*ck these things, I'll buy them later, when I can afford it, not save money to buy it. NO MORE sidewalk or boring life in job that I hate and college which I'm tired of.

Remember, the strongest will survive and the time can be your enemy, but the point is, to beat it. Use every second of your day wisely. Remember, that everybody has to rest sometimes. Don't work everyday for 20 hours if you can rest for 1 hour. If you don't do that, you can get so tired, that you will fail and leave it. I spend about 55 minutes a day doing something for myself- listening music, watching 1 tv show (MJ DeMarco wouldn't be proud :D) and that's it. The rest of a day is for business, and college. I'm lucky as I have job, where I have a lot of time to use for my fastlane plans- similar to DeMarco job as a limousine driver, but with computer, internet and more.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I spend about 55 minutes a day doing something for myself- listening music, watching 1 tv show (MJ DeMarco wouldn't be proud :D) and that's it.

Ha, congrats.

I think the last time my TV was on was 10 days ago. And it was on cuz I couldn't sleep.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
The only thing I see on the television is violence and victim hood. Nothing of value or what I need in my daily life. I'm starting to think the same lines of the internet in some neighborhoods.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.