The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

It feels good to give

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I have fallen into this mode where I love to do random acts of kindness.

It all started not too long ago. A couple I know had a baby a few months ago and I saw the dad in the grocery store and we got chatting. His wife got laid off at work and his job was scaled back to part time. Things are rough for them right now and hardly making ends meet. We chatted and walked around the store together. I happened to notice he bought the same brand diapers I do.

So the next day I went out and bought just over 1,000 diapers and dropped them off at their house to help them cut back on costs.

It felt nice to do that and so I decided that once a month I will do something like this with people I know. A good friend of mine (brother inlaw) has had a tough life. He had both his kidneys out and almost died on the operating table when he was just 9 years old. Due to his kidney failure since birth it has caused his bones to become very fragile. His doctors is suggesting he get hip surgery and use a cane. The kid is 19. He is told he can't ski or do sports. So he took up golfing. I have been with him a few times and taught him a few things. The other day I was driving by Hermon Meadows where we golf quite often and picked up a $100 gift card towards golfing and gave it to him.

I am currently trying to determine what I will do next. But it makes me feel good to know I am able to help someone out. Anyone else??

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
Speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed to ya! That's a blessing. That feeling is payment enough!

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
ha ha, that's great, SM :)

On the rare occasion I go through a drive through, I usually pay for the person's meal behind me -it puts a smile on my face and I like to think it helps to change their day for the better.

If everyone did one small act of kindness in their day, imagine the different place that the world would be...

:smug2:

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
On the rare occasion I go through a drive through, I usually pay for the person's meal behind me -it puts a smile on my face and I like to think it helps to change their day for the better.

You know, this reminds me of something I read in a book many years ago (I don't even remember the name of the book). There was a stock broker that traveled a toll route every morning on his way to work and whenever he would see a Mercedes or luxury car behind him in the toll booth line, he would pay the person's toll and have the toll booth attendant pass his business card onto them. He said he got more clients out of that one simple gesture, and it cost him less than a buck to do so.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Pay it forward is a great concept.

I was talking about this w/a Starbucks person one day, and they blurted "27".

So I said "Huh?"

"We have people come through the drive through that pay for the coffee for the car behind them. And sometimes that person does it for the next car. The most cars in a row we ever had was 27."

Note that they don't pay for the whole bill-- just the person's coffee. It's a cool way to feel good and get caffeinated at the same time. ;)

We have a lot of toll bridges around here (Golden Gate, Bay Bridge, etc). I like paying the bridge toll for the car behind me. You know everyone has the money in their hand, so once you start, it's easy for this to keep on going.

But that's different from something like the diapers. That one is pretty cool. :)

-Russ H.

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
When my father in law was still alive, I used to have trouble helping him up out of his seat or the truck. I was always so grateful when someone would come by and help assist him up or out the truck and it was often people I never saw again. My neighbor always happens to come over to take my son for a walk when I am the most frazzled and it's enough time for me to recompose myself and be a happy mama again. Small gestures, even ones that don't involve money, are always appreciated!

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
This shit rocks!

... feeds your soul. I still haven't done the gas station one, but it's on the list! People's reactions are priceless. lol "you wanna do what? what kinda scam is this"!

I think I'd like to get it covered in the media though, or record it ( I bet there'd be one or two that would drive off, or ignore me completely)... not for my own benefit, but to propel others into the spirit. Seeing is believing!

faq88

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 14, 2009
My fiancee and I do a lot of work with the Humane Society. We always have a foster dog and currently have two. We know that in the long run these dogs will make a family very happy and it helps the dog get out of the cages for a month or two. We have the cutest St. Bernard pup, but his head is full of Mange from Demodex. Its so sad to see it, but when he gets better and grows the hair back it really makes you feel good about yourself.
The key to the story is that you need to find something that you enjoy doing and do it. We probably could work with the homeless, but we are both in the medical field and get sick of people, so we go the dog route. Keep up the giving everybody else!!!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Perhaps we should start a "Random Acts of Kindness" thread --- challenge everyone to do a "Random Act" and then come back here to post your experience.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I love the business card to the person in the mercedes. It's a great idea although you are doing it to get some sort of something in return (hopefully a rich client). But the idea of paying something for someone else without getting anything in return is really a good feeling.

I don't do much for strangers and maybe I should. What I tend to do is this. I don't like to leave a lot of empty bottles laying around after I go through them. It stinks up the cellar and so I put usually no more than a couple empty 6 packs and maybe an empty bottle of wine in my trunk. When I drive by the redemption center I drop them off. But most times there is a huge line of people with big bags. I walk in with mine and if I see a kid or pick out someone in line and walk over and say I am not interested in sitting in line and offer to give them my bottles. It's less than 50 cents but usually they are real happy to get more bottles.

I am still thinking of my next random act of kindness. I would love to hear more ideas. I like the idea of a thread dedicated to this. :tiphat:

CoMp1eX

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 1, 2007
:eusa_clap: I came upon a blog of a courageous aspiring actor that was having a hard time financially and sent them a donation and some encouragement.

They emailed me a long thank you message back saying how it made their day. It felt good.

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
sm-Way to go! Love the diaper thing. rep+++

Being philanthropic/helpful is one of my biggest joys. I try to look for situations where I can help people and I frequently find them. Last week I flew a commercial flight to Chicago. I went through security and noticed a single mom with 2 little kids clearly overwhelmed. I asked how I could help. She handed me her 6-month old baby! I held her baby and grabbed a couple bags while her 3-yr old put on her shoes and grabbed her backpack. I walked with them all the way to their gate before heading to mine. Even little things like that make me feel great.

I always make it a point to talk to waiters/waitresses to find out more about them. If they are working to help pay for college, I always leave a massive tip, usually at least a $100 bill.

I've paid for people's groceries ahead of me who didn't have enough.

Every time I buy another pair of high-end sunglasses (which is fairly frequently), I give my last pair to a woman with a friendly attitude who works in a fast food drive-thru window. I'm sure it's the only time they've owned a $400 pair of Chanel, Prada or Gucci glasses.

A woman ran into my Range Rover in a parking lot. She almost cried when she saw the damage. It was clear she couldn't afford to fix it. I told her not to worry about it, that it's no big deal and that I would take care of it. I actually purposely left the dent in my car for a while to remind me that it's just a material object that doesn't really matter.

I've taught my young daughters to be philanthropic from a young age. As a family, we personally take food at thanksgiving and take toys we buy at christmas to families and take my kids' toys to an orphanage-like place we know of. The other day my 9-yr old wanted me to donate monthly to ASPCA. I agreed, but asked her what SHE was willing to do for the ASPCA. She immediately came up with the idea of personally doing dog-walking for our neighbors! We looked up the going rate for dog-walking and put up a flyer in the Country Club for our neighbors to see. All the money she earns she happily donates to the ASPCA! So proud...

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
When I go to Vegas and fly first class, I am always on the look-out for a serviceman ... if I find one, he gets my first class seat and I will head back to the sardine seats! It hasn't happened yet!

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
I love that, MJ! I picked up the tab for a table full of army guys at a restaurant. My 5-year old also went over and thanked them for protecting us. (She also hugs every police man she sees and thanks them too!)

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
When I go to Vegas and fly first class, I am always on the look-out for a serviceman ... if I find one, he gets my first class seat and I will head back to the sardine seats! It hasn't happened yet!

I've grown fond of flying Southwest Airlines (they're often the cheapest last minute tickets, and my life has been cheap, and last minute, lately. ;)

It's amazing the cameraderie on these flights. Attendants compete to come up w/the best jokes during the preflight sequence-- even had one serenade us w/Fly Me to the Moon as we were landing (he was very good).

Best is when there is a miltary person on board. Captain recognizes their contribution and thanks them personally, and the whole cabin claps.

Also have seen last minute standby's get on-- a whole family (mom, dad, 2 kids), all w/single center seats throughout the plane-- and I've seen people shift seats-- quickly-- to make it so they could all sit together.

I can see why people just wind up flying Southwest all the time. You get to your destination actually feeling *good* about your flight, and the people on it.

Think about that.

Think about the implications of that one thing, for any business.

The mind boggles.

-Russ H.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007

Being philanthropic/helpful is one of my biggest joys. I try to look for situations where I can help people and I frequently find them. Last week I flew a commercial flight to Chicago. I went through security and noticed a single mom with 2 little kids clearly overwhelmed. I asked how I could help. She handed me her 6-month old baby! I held her baby and grabbed a couple bags while her 3-yr old put on her shoes and grabbed her backpack. I walked with them all the way to their gate before heading to mine. Even little things like that make me feel great.

I always make it a point to talk to waiters/waitresses to find out more about them. If they are working to help pay for college, I always leave a massive tip, usually at least a $100 bill.

Every time I buy another pair of high-end sunglasses (which is fairly frequently), I give my last pair to a woman with a friendly attitude who works in a fast food drive-thru window. I'm sure it's the only time they've owned a $400 pair of Chanel, Prada or Gucci glasses.

A woman ran into my Range Rover in a parking lot. She almost cried when she saw the damage. It was clear she couldn't afford to fix it. I told her not to worry about it, that it's no big deal and that I would take care of it. I actually purposely left the dent in my car for a while to remind me that it's just a material object that doesn't really matter.

I've taught my young daughters to be philanthropic from a young age. As a family, we personally take food at thanksgiving and take toys we buy at christmas to families and take my kids' toys to an orphanage-like place we know of. The other day my 9-yr old wanted me to donate monthly to ASPCA. I agreed, but asked her what SHE was willing to do for the ASPCA. She immediately came up with the idea of personally doing dog-walking for our neighbors! We looked up the going rate for dog-walking and put up a flyer in the Country Club for our neighbors to see. All the money she earns she happily donates to the ASPCA! So proud...

I just went to the corner and WEPT ...realizing how little Ive done. THANKS...for this!!:eusa_clap:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

I'd double rep/speed if I could! This is awesome stuff.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Since this thread I have seen tons of opportunities to help people that I never saw before. It kind of reminds me of training your brain to see business opportunities.

Anyway, I was at walmart tonight and bought some cat food, litter, milk, and a slim jim. Off to the car I go and this older lady, maybe late 60's... I dunno I have trouble telling people's ages. Anyway, this older lady had a cart load of groceries. It was slightly raining. Not too bad really but I went over and offered to help her. She said it was fine but I jumped in and unloaded the bigger stuff. I told her I lived right here in the area and I shop at walmart all the time. She smiled and felt better once I started talking. I took her cart and put it back and told her to have a good evening and to stay dry haha

Off I went.

:smx9:

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
A lot of my kids' friends have Birthday parties in which the parents request that instead of bringing a gift, that a donation be made to a specific cause/charity with instructions on the birthday party invitation of how to do so. Or gifts that are brought are donated to the Children's Hospital, etc. I love this idea!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
A lot of my kids' friends have Birthday parties in which the parents request that instead of bringing a gift, that a donation be made to a specific cause/charity with instructions on the birthday party invitation of how to do so. Or gifts that are brought are donated to the Children's Hospital, etc. I love this idea!

We did that for our wedding. :)

-Russ H.

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
Hey-I just went to the bank to request a new debit/mastercard ('cause someone with an IP address in Uganda got ahold of my credit card info and was using my money quite liberally!). Anyway, the bank person asked if I wanted a standard or customized ATM/Debit/Credit card. Cute little kitties on credit cards don't appeal to me so I opted for the standard card, but then caught site of a card with a charity insignia on it. My bank (this acct is with Capital One) offers customized cards that support one of several non-profit organizations! My new debit card will be run as a credit card and everytime I use it, my bank will donate a portion automatically to the charity I chose! You can choose different ones, like diabetes, literacy, cancer, etc... I chose the one for cancer cure research and treatment for children. (Th only drawback is that that card does have a kitten on it, but it's a drawing of a cat that a kid drew, so I'll live with it! : )

I'd love it if everyone here would check with their bank to see if they offer the same debit/credit card that supports a charity. It's free for you and the charity of your choice benefits every time you use it!! I'm gonna use that card specifically most of the time now!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
We met w/a small group last night called "Operation with love from Home".

They do care packages for the troops:

Operation with Love from Home | Facebook

Our B&B is going to make chocolate chip cookies (or something-- not sure what) to put in the 500-1000 packages going to the soldiers in Afganistan and Iraq.

We'll also be manning the booth at some of the Chef's Markets.

I offered to blog a bit for them as well (they don't currently have a blog, but I spoke to the tech guy, who was more than happy to set one up)

-Russ H.

sparechange?

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Jan 11, 2010
Well, I'm a volunteer firefighter if that counts!

Sometimes I buy my buddies lunch if they're broke. And they don't have to pay me back.

And I let people out in traffic.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Okay, I'm probably going to get a ton of crap from the Fastlane community for recommending this particular book / guru, but I thought I'd mention this anyway...

Tomorrow I'm meeting with a friend who has been pretty out of control with his finances. He's a great guy and a good Christian, but he's expressed that he needs help getting control over his spending habits and understanding money.

The last time we got together I asked him some questions about his finances, his spending habits, his interests, his goals for the future, etc. and I told him the next time we get together I'm going to have a gift for you.

So I went out and bought him a copy of Dave Ramsey's book and workbook to help him get a starting point on financial literacy and how to take control of his finances. I know this is super slow-lane, but everybody has to start somewhere, and hopefully this will mark the beginning of a change in his financial life.

Okay, where's the "slow lane" smiley gone? :)

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm probably going to get a ton of crap from the Fastlane community

I hope you don't and you shouldn't.

Financial literacy doesn't care how much money you make. Poor financial management is like gambling at the casino -- the house always wins and it doesn't matter if you're earning $20K a year or $200K/month. Nothing wrong with the education provided in Ramsey's book given it is in fact, a starting point to financial awareness.

ProfessorSpeed

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Sep 20, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Big fan of Ramsey here. Taking care of your basic needs first, paying down and minimizing debts/risk, creating an emergency fund, creating retirement resources, properly insuring yourself, and telling your money where to go on purpose are all fastlane principles. Furthermore, taking the Fastlane doesn't necessarily mean you have to borrow loads of money...remember that. I'd say TMM is an excellent gift. The average person on the plan pays off the mortgage in 7 years. What fastlane assets could the average person accumulate without a house payment?

With that being said, I love this thread. My wife and I have been doing random acts of kindness each month for a couple of years. Sometimes we will see opportunities to help someone in need of cash/goods, but many times we will give a few hours of our time as well. Once your eyes are open to it, it's easy to notice that elderly neighbor struggling to plant the tree across the street. Also, if you're married, talk about a great way to bring you closer as a couple! Consistently doing good deeds as a couple is a great way to build intimacy. I belive the gifts always come back 10 fold. It's not always coming back in the same form...you will notice enriched relationships, feelings of contentment, better health, new opportunities, having the right words to say, self confidence, and self respect.

Make some time to volunteer. If each one of us regularly gave a few hours a week to help a child, think how deep the impact could be. It could literally change the world in one generation. Do your part to reduce crime, divorce, drugs, poverty, and all the other things that wreck lives. My wife and I have had a "Little Brother" from Big Brothers, Big Sisters for over three years as well.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.