The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is writing a book fast lane?

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Your first book will almost certainly fail, just like any other product you'll create. You need to learn by experience, and putting out a book is a fairly affordable way to learn by practice.
I see, thanks.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Your first book will almost certainly fail, just like any other product you'll create. You need to learn by experience, and putting out a book is a fairly affordable way to learn by practice.
I see, thanks for that.
Write the book to provide value not to chase money.

Stop thinking of reasons not to, just do it and see what happens!

Do, learn, adapt, do better.
Yeah that's my goal, I'm not thinking about money its all about value.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Not a silly question at all. Writing a book is a big project. Marketing it is another big project. Why take that on, if you don't have a business plan for it?

I agree with all the comments about value for the reader. If your book idea is nonfiction, I would recommend, just use a blog, video channel, podcast, social media, or forums. Share your ideas in a way that's free, and so easy to do a little bit at a time. If you get an enthusiastic audience, then work on a book. Your first book could simply be a collection of your best, most popular essays or articles or transcripts. That would be a very low risk way to start.

If your book idea is fiction, then there's no substitute for writing a book. But be aware you will need to endure a lot of rejection before you find a publisher. And most publishers would probably want to know what the author can do to help with marketing. You could self-publish it, but again, what would be the marketing plan so anyone even finds the book?

Maybe telling the story is your total passion and you'll never have inner peace until the story's written out for others. It that's what's in your heart, then it doesn't matter if you can make a profit. It might be that artistic fulfillment is super important for you. That's great, and I'd never tell someone to not make their art for passion. But that's also not a business model.
Thanks for the advice some great information here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WTF

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jun 24, 2018
San Diego, CA
I'd opt to say: No, not in most cases.

It is POSSIBLE for you to become mega-wealthy through writing a book whether fiction or non-fiction, though considering your competition is going to be against the other 1.3M books that have already been published this year, less and less people are reading books as time progresses, some people devote their entire lives to being good writers, and the low-margin sales you'd likely get from selling a book (which you may or may not sell many of) -- it seems like a huge waste of time.

Even if you were to spend 10 years writing 1000 books (averaging 100 books a year), your profits likely wouldn't justify all the time you spent writing re-hashed books full of unoriginal ideas.

Find a better source of passive income. Start a better business.

Leo Hartas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
May 17, 2018
United Kingdom
This is exactly what I am doing. Writing and illustrating children's books with my partner. We have a long term plan to get 20-30 titles completed over about 3-5 years. So far we have two out via Createspace (Amazon's self publishing print on demand system). Our goal is not to make tons of money, but rather provide a reasonably stable living income that is ongoing and will act as a pension. We figure that we need to sell a minimum of 3 of each book a day to achieve that goal. At the moment our first book is selling around 7-10 a day. On top of that there is a chance the books will become a breakout success, just as Harry Potter did.

Self published books can be seen regularly in the top 100, even top 10 of all books selling on Amazon where it would be selling 100s each day. We are very aware that selling exclusively on Amazon is putting all our eggs in one basket (and Amazon helps itself to most of those eggs!) but over time with consistent marketing we are hoping to gather a reader base to our website and sell from there. It's been extremely useful to have wide set of skills between us as we both have experience working in publishing. I draw and have all the skills required to bring the book to a print ready state along with web design, etc. My partner is a very experienced storyteller and editor.

My advice would be to consider many books around the same single subject. We've designed a complete world for our characters that can be explored from many different angles. In fact, with the characters and world established in detail it almost generates it's own stories. Also, as previous comentators have said, think about other media related to the book, as either marketing or for direct sale. For example we're learning game coding to create simple games that will hopefully work as marketing direct to kids (selling anything for kids has the added complication that it's the parents who typically buy them).

If you do write a book do not underestimate the the time required to polish it, even the cost of professional editing. There are plenty of good videos and books that go into great detail about the whole process. Even if you don't directly make lots of money from the book itself just getting it out there can lead to new oppotunities. I'm working right now on an illustration commission that came directly from the client having seen our books.

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Thanks for the interesting post! I don't know anything the Kindle Unlimited mess. What's going on?
If you look at the post, Money-Chasing Burns Bestselling Author, there are some links on the bottom of the original post to news stories that provide a good summary of the problems. In short, Amazon is a mess right now with "authors" stuffing books to scam the Kindle Unlimited System. Hope this helps!

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
So I've had this idea for a while for writing a book. I had some ideas which I think could really bring value to people, and know roughly what I would be writing. Just curious on peoples opinion on writing a book as part of joining the fast lane.

You're going to get crapped on for asking this question lol. But here's my take, you just need to ask yourself if you're satisfying CENTS. Needs, entry barriers, control, scalability, and time.

Needs - is there a need for what you're writing about, or for another book about the subject? This is the part where people are not honest with themselves, or do not scope out/test the need, and end up playing themselves. Do you want to invest all the hours into writing a book and find out you were wrong about the need? Writing is also incredibly saturated so you have to be exceptional.

Entry barriers - relatively low, anyone can write about what you write about. I find authors need to build their brands before they have any real "barriers" that keep other authors from biting their content.

Control - Don't know the book market very well but many people entrust amazon or some other channel in distributing their product. You don't control it.

Scalability - Relatively good as you can sell a book to anyone anywhere (if you have online distribution)

Time - Relatively good, as once you write the book once, you can continue earning income on it forever.

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
These are two different books by MJ DeMarco.
And there is no book called Unscripted fastlane”.

I think there's crosstalk going on about a misunderstanding of grammar and punctuation.

I think the original question was:
Could you say about MJ's two books ("Millionaire Fastlane " and "Unscripted "), that writing these books was a Fastlane-style activity for MJ?

But the way it accidentally came across to Galaxy, because the final word fastlane isn't in italics:
Are the titles of MJ's two books "Millionaire Fastlane " and "Unscripted Fastlane"?

Hope we can now return to the regularly scheduled discussion...

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
I
You're going to get crapped on for asking this question lol. But here's my take, you just need to ask yourself if you're satisfying CENTS. Needs, entry barriers, control, scalability, and time.

Needs - is there a need for what you're writing about, or for another book about the subject? This is the part where people are not honest with themselves, or do not scope out/test the need, and end up playing themselves. Do you want to invest all the hours into writing a book and find out you were wrong about the need? Writing is also incredibly saturated so you have to be exceptional.

Entry barriers - relatively low, anyone can write about what you write about. I find authors need to build their brands before they have any real "barriers" that keep other authors from biting their content.

Control - Don't know the book market very well but many people entrust amazon or some other channel in distributing their product. You don't control it.

Scalability - Relatively good as you can sell a book to anyone anywhere (if you have online distribution)

Time - Relatively good, as once you write the book once, you can continue earning income on it forever.
Interesting. I finished reading a book yesterday that mentioned making an MVP, starting with only a couple of chapters and post articles, and if there is an audience go for it.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
This is an interesting question, and actually one I've been pondering a lot lately, especially after on a related thread, @COSenior said that she no longer believes that writing a book is fastlane.
Sorry to come late to the party, but I want to point out I never did believe writing fiction was Fastlane. If I said anywhere else that I 'no longer' believe it, I misspoke.

For the record, I came here to the forum with my long-time ghostwriting client after he discovered Held for Ransom's legendary fiction thread. That's where I met @ChickenHawk, and that's what started my client down the fiction road. He still believes in fiction for Fastlane, but I'm preparing for the time when he stops believing it.

For me, Fastlane means a business with residual passive income whose products I can outsource when I have it established. The three keys there are residual (as ChickenHawk pointed out, in self-publishing there are diminishing returns on a fiction backlist), passive (meaning I don't have to turn out 3-4k words daily to prop up the backlist with 4-6 week new releases) and outsource (ironic, since that's exactly what my client does, and I'm the provider).

Five years after joining this forum, I still haven't found that fast lane, and I continue to write as a freelancer to support my search. I know why, and it's the same reason I quit writing under my own pen name. I resist marketing.

Which brings us back to the original question. ChickenHawk's, E L James', and J. K. Rowling's (among a very few others') experiences to the contrary (because they are outliers), without constant marketing the answer is no - writing a (fiction) book isn't Fastlane.

However, writing a non-fiction book to support or advertise your core business is a terrific idea, time-tested and approved.

Last edited:

Shepherd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 10, 2017
Sorry to come late to the party, but I want to point out I never did believe writing fiction was Fastlane. If I said anywhere else that I 'no longer' believe it, I misspoke.

For the record, I came here to the forum with my long-time ghostwriting client after he discovered Held for Ransom's legendary fiction thread. That's where I met @ChickenHawk, and that's what started my client down the fiction road. He still believes in fiction for Fastlane, but I'm preparing for the time when he stops believing it.

For me, Fastlane means a business with residual passive income whose products I can outsource when I have it established. The three keys there are residual (as ChickenHawk pointed out, in self-publishing there are diminishing returns on a fiction backlist), passive (meaning I don't have to turn out 3-4k words daily to prop up the backlist with 4-6 week new releases) and outsource (ironic, since that's exactly what my client does, and I'm the provider).

Five years after joining this forum, I still haven't found that fast lane, and I continue to write as a freelancer to support my search. I know why, and it's the same reason I quit writing under my own pen name. I resist marketing.

Which brings us back to the original question. ChickenHawk's, E L James', and J. K. Rowling's (among a very few others') experiences to the contrary (because they are outliers), without constant marketing the answer is no - writing a book isn't Fastlane.

However, writing a non-fiction book to support or advertise your core business is a terrific idea, time-tested and approved.
I have a novel (Thriller/Mystery) I wrote a few years back nearly ready to go. Cover is done, has been professionally edited. Probably a couple weeks of work and I could self-publish. It could easily translate into a series. And yet I procrastinate.

I started writing simply because I wanted to see if I could do it. The marketing part I'm not really excited about. With the day job, my farm business and trying to have somewhat of a life, it's hard for me to see it as more of a hobby long-term that brings in a few extra dollars. If I had the time, I don't see myself cranking out more than 3 per year. The saturation and low barrier to entry seems real.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I know why, and it's the same reason I quit writing under my own pen name. I resist marketing.

At least you're self-aware, and that's the first step to fix it.

I resisted marketing, too, but ultimately realized that if you don't deal with this limiting belief, you won't succeed in business (or many other things for that matter, because you're selling yourself in one way or another every day).

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Interesting. I finished reading a book yesterday that mentioned making an MVP, starting with only a couple of chapters and post articles, and if there is an audience go for it.

For working with a standard nonfiction publisher, it all starts with a proposal. The proposal has table of contents, sample chapter, competitive analysis, why the author is well qualified to write the book, and suggested marketing plan. With a strong proposal, the author can get an agent and a publisher. The book itself doesn't have to be written until the publisher provides an advance, usually at least a few thousand dollars.

Last edited:

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
At least you're self-aware, and that's the first step to fix it.

I resisted marketing, too, but ultimately realized that if you don't deal with this limiting belief, you won't succeed in business (or many other things for that matter, because you're selling yourself in one way or another every day).
Absolutely true, and working on it now. I finally found someone who could coach me through that conversation - with clients and with myself - so I don't feel sleazy doing it. Not implying that it is - just that I felt that way.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I finally found someone who could coach me through that conversation - with clients and with myself - so I don't feel sleazy doing it. Not implying that it is - just that I felt that way.

I was about to ask about that. What is it that kept you from feeling okay about marketing? I guess the answer would be a Mindset/Motivation post, rather than relevant here.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
Timing. Oh man, where do I start? Like most Fastlane ventures, timing plays a huge role. Right now, if you're writing genre fiction, especially romance, the timing is horrible. In fact, if you had a terrific romance book that you were itching to publish, I'd suggest holding off until Amazon deals with their Kindle Unlimited mess. A couple years ago, I'd say, "Don't wait, hit that publish button now, baby!" You've got to look at your niche and see what it looks like, and then act accordingly.

That's unfortunate... I was reading HFR's and @ChickenHawk 's threads and the whole thing sounded like a lot of work but quite rewarding (shipping books regularly) and possible to make money. But it seems like those good days in 2013 are gone...

I was really thinking about spending a few months and see if I got traction, but if it looks so bad at the moment I might forget about it, specially given I was thinking about writing fiction, which looks worse than non-fiction as per @ChickenHawk 's comments.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
That's unfortunate... I was reading HFR's and @ChickenHawk 's threads and the whole thing sounded like a lot of work but quite rewarding (shipping books regularly) and possible to make money. But it seems like those good days in 2013 are gone...

Happily, Amazon has done a lot in the last few months to clean up their Kindle Unlimited mess. This was long overdue, because scammers were in the process of destroying any integrity in the fiction bestseller lists, not to mention making it really hard for honest authors to gain any traction.

It's true that the "easy money" days are behind us, but the market has definitely improved. If you have a knack for writing and are willing to put in the time, now might be a pretty good time. Good luck regardless of what you decide!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
specially given I was thinking about writing fiction, which looks worse than non-fiction as per @ChickenHawk 's comments.

Both fiction and non-fiction are more difficult now. It's because the platform is getting more and more crowded and readers are now used to low prices. Before, getting a good book for $3 or $4 wasn't that easy so any self-published author who was good enough (not even the best) had it relatively easy.

Today, even high-profile authors with incredible books sell them for just a couple of bucks. As a new author, it's difficult to compete with them.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
Happily, Amazon has done a lot in the last few months to clean up their Kindle Unlimited mess. This was long overdue, because scammers were in the process of destroying any integrity in the fiction bestseller lists, not to mention making it really hard for honest authors to gain any traction.

It's true that the "easy money" days are behind us, but the market has definitely improved. If you have a knack for writing and are willing to put in the time, now might be a pretty good time. Good luck regardless of what you decide!

Well, that sounds much better than the situation 6 months ago :) I think I need to do more research on my own, I'm clearly lacking understanding of the current platforms/situation.

Different people say I'm actually an ok writer (at least not a terrible one), which is a good start for a software developer who hasn't written any books (although I always liked writing anything). I've been doing some work this week and I'm 2k words into a book that I was hoping would be around 10k, but looks more like 20k at least, if not longer. I'd like to try something around 8-10k as a first "test" to see how everything works, from writing to publishing, so I outlined a short story last night and today I'm going to start writing it.

I'm not really looking for easy money or big money per se (although that'd be great!), but something that is quicker to iterate than my current niche (video games, which take ages to make for a single person, and the market is also saturated).

The only "problem" is that I'm not an English speaker, so I'd be writing in Spanish. Fortunately, it's one of the 3 most spoken languages in the world, but the market is smaller than the English one. This might be good and bad.

Both fiction and non-fiction are more difficult now. It's because the platform is getting more and more crowded and readers are now used to low prices. Before, getting a good book for $3 or $4 wasn't that easy so any self-published author who was good enough (not even the best) had it relatively easy.

Today, even high-profile authors with incredible books sell them for just a couple of bucks. As a new author, it's difficult to compete with them.

So the same race to the bottom in prices that other industries are suffering. That s*cks. Although it's still less "risky" than what I've been doing for two months (and I haven't even got anything I can sell). As an author, I think you can ship at least one short book per month? Compared to that, video games are much slower to make, I can't see anything shorter than six months, and that's using pre-made tools and stock art/music, which usually feel like "too standard" for catching people's attention, not to mention the race to the bottom in prices. Players are getting really picky these days, and got used to great games, that can take years to make, for 10 bucks. I would rather spend one month writing a book and selling peanuts than 6 months or longer making a video game that also sells peanuts.

Thanks both for the info :)

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
As an author, I think you can ship at least one short book per month?
I'd like to address just this one sentence from your long post. You mentioned 'books' of 10k-20k, which are actually short stories to novella-length. It is quite possible, with a bit of lead time, to publish even novel-length books of some genre categories once a month. However, you need to know what that means.

If you're an 'ok' writer, you'd probably benefit from some developmental editing, which takes some time. You'll certainly need a proofreader and copy editor or combination, no matter how expert you are with grammar and spelling - every author does. More time. A cover will take some time, though you can get that done while you're still writing the book or having it gone over pre-publication. All of it takes a little money (or a lot, depending on the length of the book and the level of expertise you hire).

In other words, it isn't just the writing. Now, in contrast to Chickenhawk, who polishes every word and sentence before showing it to others, I write fast and let my support people do the polishing. If I were to start over, I'd write two books in quick succession, turning over the first one to be edited as I wrote the second. I'd turn over the second to be edited, and while that was happening, I'd write the third. Only then would I begin to publish, and with that kind of lead time, I'd be able to publish at least every six weeks or so (based on the category length of my genre and how much time I want to devote to it). That said, it's a brutal schedule unless you can write 1000-1500 words per hour or write in a category that tolerates shorter novels.

I say all this not to discourage you, but to help you understand the industry better than I think you do at this point. Better to learn the truth now IMO, than to burn a pen name or two, or worse yet, your own name, because you didn't understand the timing.

I don't for a moment believe that there's no more opportunity in publishing. On the contrary, I see new authors breaking in all the time. It's a matter of professionalism, learning the ropes, and yes, productivity. If you want it badly enough, you can do it. I just urge you to do it right, to give yourself a chance to succeed. :)

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
I'd like to address just this one sentence from your long post. You mentioned 'books' of 10k-20k, which are actually short stories to novella-length. It is quite possible, with a bit of lead time, to publish even novel-length books of some genre categories once a month. However, you need to know what that means.

If you're an 'ok' writer, you'd probably benefit from some developmental editing, which takes some time. You'll certainly need a proofreader and copy editor or combination, no matter how expert you are with grammar and spelling - every author does. More time. A cover will take some time, though you can get that done while you're still writing the book or having it gone over pre-publication. All of it takes a little money (or a lot, depending on the length of the book and the level of expertise you hire).

In other words, it isn't just the writing. Now, in contrast to Chickenhawk, who polishes every word and sentence before showing it to others, I write fast and let my support people do the polishing. If I were to start over, I'd write two books in quick succession, turning over the first one to be edited as I wrote the second. I'd turn over the second to be edited, and while that was happening, I'd write the third. Only then would I begin to publish, and with that kind of lead time, I'd be able to publish at least every six weeks or so (based on the category length of my genre and how much time I want to devote to it). That said, it's a brutal schedule unless you can write 1000-1500 words per hour or write in a category that tolerates shorter novels.

I say all this not to discourage you, but to help you understand the industry better than I think you do at this point. Better to learn the truth now IMO, than to burn a pen name or two, or worse yet, your own name, because you didn't understand the timing.

I don't for a moment believe that there's no more opportunity in publishing. On the contrary, I see new authors breaking in all the time. It's a matter of professionalism, learning the ropes, and yes, productivity. If you want it badly enough, you can do it. I just urge you to do it right, to give yourself a chance to succeed. :)

Thanks for the context. I think I read another post where the author started writing 8-20k fiction novellas, before I posted that. A few pages later, I read that the same author in the same niche was publishing longer books because shorter ones didn't work anymore (if I remember correctly). That makes sense, as the market gets more saturated, people get used to more content/quality for the same money or less.

I'll leave it for now, as I decided to focus on something else (funnily, something with quite a few things in common). I had a "taste" of writing for a few days, to see whether it's for me or not. Apparently, I'm 'ok' (a few good reviews, a few ok reviews), but it felt like going that route was wasting many years of experience in other fields that have a lot of opportunities. Also, I could only write about 600 words per hour haha, and that's rough text, not even polished, which obviously took me a long time to refine. I enjoyed it, but I don't hate writing software enough to write books instead :)

I might keep writing on the side though, it was a great experience, and already have one hungry reader waiting for more chapters, lol.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
I'll leave it for now, as I decided to focus on something else (funnily, something with quite a few things in common). I had a "taste" of writing for a few days, to see whether it's for me or not. Apparently, I'm 'ok' (a few good reviews, a few ok reviews), but it felt like going that route was wasting many years of experience in other fields that have a lot of opportunities.
That sounds like a good decision. You can always write for enjoyment while doing something else for money. Learning when to say no to an opportunity is as important as learning when to say yes.

Best wishes!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.